Round of 16 - Netherlands vs Mexico (17:00 BST) & Costa Rica vs Greece (21:00 BST)

gillsminnow

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really don't think penalty shootouts have anything to do with luck.

True but when a match resorts to that, then it has more or less come down to the luck element.

Colombia the only team that has 100% been the better side and made their spot in the quarters.

True but when a match resorts to that, then it has more or less come down to the luck element.

Colombia the only team that has 100% been the better side and made their spot in the quarters.

Make up your mind!

Penalties are part of the game and a skill, both to take and save.

Robben has said he dived in the game against Mexico, would be the perfect time to give him a 1 game ban.

I love SSN article comment sections some times, from Robben article:

"this guy cheats and puts another team out of the world cup, and admits it !!. and nothing is said by fifa. suarez cheats , game goes on but he gets a 4 month ban. if this was suarez admitting to diving it would be across every sports page world wide asking for him to be banned."

Is assault considered cheating now? :lol:

Years and years of laughing at Dutch beautiful football, so ineffective, har har. Well, get used to it, we are now applying realistic tactics and it pays off big time. Curse all you like, it shows how much you fear us.

Robben diving? Well, he does, but he gets fouled a lot, too and it would seem that no one here gives a damn about that. You just want Robben to lose, that doesn't make your poor jealous opinions fact though.

That first penalty, at the end of the first half. Hand on heart, how many of you screamed 'dive!' only because it was Robben? I'm going to say 90%. Whereas it was a very clear one. Not one, but two kicks at his legs. I saw it at the first glance, got confirmed in the replays. How the ref missed that one, we'll never know. Probably as skewed and prejudiced as you lot :D

But the ref knew he owed us a peno and he delivered, good man, even though that one was as blatant a dive as you will ever see. Justiça :cool:

Then van Gaal and his subs again. Hunterrrrrr :cool: Laying that corner back for Sneijder (what a blast!) and coolly converting that penalty.

Guess we can count ourselves lucky in a way, then again, the New Dutch Mentality prevailed. It ain't over until it's over. Overall, deserved result. Grit!

Robben has said he dived in the game against Mexico, would be the perfect time to give him a 1 game ban.

I love SSN article comment sections some times, from Robben article:

"this guy cheats and puts another team out of the world cup, and admits it !!. and nothing is said by fifa. suarez cheats , game goes on but he gets a 4 month ban. if this was suarez admitting to diving it would be across every sports page world wide asking for him to be banned."

Is assault considered cheating now? :lol:

He did admit he dived, but not in the situation in which the ref gave a penalty. In an interview with Dutch television (where I guess they took this from) Robben said there were two instances in which he should have gotten a penalty (he does not specify both, but I am guessing it's the one before half-time and the one at the end), once where he fell a bit too easily (of course, not literally saying he dived) and he added that Marquez definitely fouled him in the end. From his perspective the penalty was a good call (unsurprisingly).

Personally, I think it was a penalty too, but I can see where all the controversy comes from.

He did admit he dived, but not in the situation in which the ref gave a penalty. In an interview with Dutch television (where I guess they took this from) Robben said there were two instances in which he should have gotten a penalty (he does not specify both, but I am guessing it's the one before half-time and the one at the end), once where he fell a bit too easily (of course, not literally saying he dived) and he added that Marquez definitely fouled him in the end. From his perspective the penalty was a good call (unsurprisingly).

Personally, I think it was a penalty too, but I can see where all the controversy comes from.

I didn't say or suggest he dived for the penalty.

I didn't say or suggest he dived for the penalty.

Ah, my apologies!

I guess all the news I've read about the interview you mentioned saying that he dived for the penalty clouded my vision. I unreasonably jumped to conclusions immediately.

Love this quote regarding the ref and the penalty

It left Herrera incensed, and he added: "Why did Fifa choose a referee from the same confederation as the Netherlands instead of one from South America, Asia or Africa? ]

So a European would be biased, but a South America ref wouldnt :D

haha DJ is such a hypocrite, imagine if that was Chelsea playing like Holland with Torres diving all over the place.

Chelsea can only dream of playing like Holland :cool:

Owed you a peno? What about when the Mexican player (Herrera maybe?) who got booted in the head in your area? Unbelievable tbh.

Gotta keep your head up when heading, endangered himself, should have been a FK for Oranje.

As the forum's front man to advocate grit, that wasn't a case of showing grit. :herman:

Advocate dirt more like it :lol: Oranje devasted the Mexicans until the 96th minute. Never giving up. GRIT!

There's been plenty of actual journalists saying things like 'well, he should have got a penalty earlier on' as though it's some free pass to just go and have a dive later on

It is not, but it is justice :cool: Oh, how the whiners would have loved to say Oranje didn't score so nerr... glibly ignoring a stonewall penalty not being given.

I decide to invent the so-called Derek's Standard ("Derek", because it should sound English :brock:):

"Any form of cheat is never acceptable unless it leads to a significant advantage of the most likeable side according to the person who views the form of cheat."

You wish :D No one is holier than anyone, but declaring that some people have to be saints to remain respectable (Robben) whereas others can get away with everything as long as they win (Drogba, Keane, Gatuso) is the ultimate in biased nonsense.

Archived