Should Suarez be banned from football?

jmr

Should he be banned from football?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be banned from football?

At least there's a few guys who appear to be living on Planet Earth.

Just hope Liverpool have moved on from the idiocy of the Dalglish response really. Lots of fans were equally bad, but I'd like to think that had the club acted more responsibly about it, more fans would have as well.

Say what you will about Suarez the player, but it can't be great to have such a loose cannon in the squad, and if Real or Barca are stupid enough to pay upwards of 80 million for him, Liverpool should take it and run laughing to the bank. No player is worth this kind of hassle and bad press.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to Chellini for what he said, but it doesnt change the fact that the man done a cowardly act and so far has not apologised for it(or ever likely to). His response seems to be that of complete denial it really is quite bazarre!

Tut, I'd be laying into him if his country had just knocked mine out.

Same, but he's still playing football so probably doesn't want to burn any bridges as Suarez could end up being a Juve target in the future, likewise if Suarez moved to a European club such as Real Madrid/Barcelona then Chiellini doesn't want to end his chances of joining them by not getting along with Suarez.

The Uruguay presidents comments are astounding, no wonder foreign players from certain places have the attitudes and personalities they have. Absolutely embarrassing and ridiculous.

This is the thing, why would a player believe he is wrong, when his whole nation says he is in the right, its how its always been for him. There is a brilliant piece by Wright Thompson of ESPN on him http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10984370/portrait-serial-winner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

Well worth a read

Whilst your armchairing my posting motivation is quite cute, I took the time to bold all the idiotic generalisations you're making. To clarify for you so you don't make the mistake again:

1) I've not once "moaned" about the punishment. Fairly certain I've not posted an opinion on it. I've asked questions of others who wanted it changed in some way, either it's commencement or it's length, but I'm fairly sure I've not indicated either displeasure or pleasure either way. Feel free to correct that.

2) I think I've made the sum of two posts referring to psychology? (Count this as three if you're desperate for a total that quantifies as "going on about it"). Like it or not, it is a psychological issue. Whatever the reason for doing it, it's not a normal reaction to stress and it's a reaction which is a mental one and appears to be spur of the moment. I'd suggest that for all concerned (both Suarez, and other players), it's something which needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later, for the health of ALL concerned. Bit baffled anyone would disagree with that.

3) The purpose of punishment is twofold: To provide deterrent, and to provide rehabilitation. Now, it's fairly well established in most Western civilisations that incarceration doesn't affect recidivism, and the bans Suarez has had before clearly haven't affected his recidivism rate either - so the ban won't work this time either if the ~17 games or so he got in the past didn't. What needs to happen is that he needs significant rehabilitative efforts. Now, he could have been receiving that still right up until he left Liverpool. I don't know and don't expect we should find out, as we shouldn't with the rest of the population's medical treatment. But the instinctive reaction to stress needs to change, and not for Liverpool's benefit, but for that of the players - and I include Suarez in that. So that's why I questioned anyone who said the ban needed to be longer, or it's date moved - it serves no purpose to do that, because it doesn't affect the chance of this happening again.

4) I'm not "accusing most people" of anything. I'll repeat - asking questions isn't an accusation, and I haven't made the ridiculous assumption like some in here that everyone's posting from a collective hive mind, because people's opinions and motivations vary. As a community, this place has a habit of kneejerk reactions and this thread has been no different - but at no point have I made a blanket statement about "most" people's motivations.

5) I'm actually mostly interested in this as a result of the psychology of both the occurrence and the reactions to it and the role in which punishment plays in rehabilitation. But whilst people overlook the more serious discussion to be had, in favour of "LOLZ LIVERPOOL FANS" "LOLZ SUAREZ MEME", you jump right on board that bandwagon simply because of the club I choose to support. There's internetz points to be won, see.

If you want to get to the core, all forms of cheating have some grounding in the individual's psychology and their culture's norms. You were fairly aggressive over Lance Armstrong, right? He's a pathological liar with clear, deep psychological issues. Santambrogio as well.

You arguments are flawed, but the whole premise is also on shaky ground.

That he has no hard feelings, only cares about losing the match not what happened and that the ban he feels was a tad excessive. All very diplomatic.

At the end of the day they are both players and sort of in the same boat. It's not that surprising to see him come out saying the things he has. All that would really matter is that they lost the game, and the punishment Suarez gets has nothing to do with him or his teams. That's the bad thing about stuff like this, when players get away from it during the match. Red card to Suarez there, and who knows how the match would have turned out.

CP, I do hope Liverpool have come more to their senses this time, having experienced this whole thing once already, but probably won't be surprised if they take the knobheaded stance again. Sigh.

Uruguay, though... holy hell. And we wonder why top players become a bit f*cked in the head. Admittedly few, if any, as bad as Suarez, but if people have kept overlooking his antics for years and years due to his talent, it's probably not that weird he refuses to acknowledge any wrongdoing. Naughty children analogies, and so on....

Eh? Who's been a victim of any aftermath?

You said Chiellini was the real victim in all this, when he quite clearly isn't. He had a bit of pain yes, but I'm pretty sure he'll cope.

You could call Liverpool and Uruguay a victim of Suarez' silly behavior I guess. That's about as far as it goes victim-wise.

You said Chiellini was the real victim in all this, when he quite clearly isn't. He had a bit of pain yes, but I'm pretty sure he'll cope.

You could call Liverpool and Uruguay a victim of Suarez' silly behavior I guess. That's about as far as it goes victim-wise.

When a guy bites another guy, there is only one victim in the affair.

Your first sentence was my exact reaction to the whole frenzy that ensued. He had a bit of pain but he'll cope, he didn't make a fuss of it. The resulting storm that occurred was manufactured to sell news.

Oh dear what?

"I'd sell him if there are any takers. On first glance the punishment seems harsh until you remember this is the third time. The lad gives his all for us, but we can't afford to have a player that misses a large chunk of games every season."

"Only got himself to blame.

Idiot."

"He deserved it in all honesty

Something had to be done

Puts a huge dampner on us hoping to really go for the league next season all guns blazing

No one to blame but himself though

Poor Luis someone said ? Poor Luis nothing

He has to learn"

These are just a few comments from a random page I clicked on. SO please enough with the constant 'Liverpool fans are all defending him BS'. I'd imagine if you went to ANY fan forums there are a few vocal individuals who wear rose tinted glasses.

EDIT: I am more than a little bit amused that someone who doesn't support Liverpool went to RAWK specifically looking for troll bait, oh dear.......

If you want to get to the core, all forms of cheating have some grounding in the individual's psychology and their culture's norms. You were fairly aggressive over Lance Armstrong, right? He's a pathological liar with clear, deep psychological issues. Santambrogio as well.

You arguments are flawed, but the whole premise is also on shaky ground.

That's adopting a far more simplistic view, but there's no flaw in the argument. With both of those cases (but especially Armstrong) you were dealing with a pathological desire to not be caught. Suarez has been punished, and it's still not sufficient to act as a deterrent. Santambrogio was a very different case again, but you're not dealing with repeat offenders there after they've been caught and punished previously. Very different to a child-like spontaneous reaction to anger/stress where punishment hasn't had an effect. Suarez isn't demonstrating planning and prior intent before these happen.

When a guy bites another guy, there is only one victim in the affair.

Your first sentence was my exact reaction to the whole frenzy that ensued. He had a bit of pain but he'll cope, he didn't make a fuss of it. The resulting storm that occurred was manufactured to sell news.

yes but he's not the victim of Suarez' suspension. There is not only one victim.

That's adopting a far more simplistic view, but there's no flaw in the argument. With both of those cases (but especially Armstrong) you were dealing with a pathological desire to not be caught. Suarez has been punished, and it's still not sufficient to act as a deterrent. Santambrogio was a very different case again, but you're not dealing with repeat offenders there after they've been caught and punished previously. Very different to a child-like spontaneous reaction to anger/stress where punishment hasn't had an effect. Suarez isn't demonstrating planning and prior intent before these happen.

Not sure what you're trying to say now. So they're not deep-set psychological issues? How does "planning and intent" change everything?

Oh dear what?

"I'd sell him if there are any takers. On first glance the punishment seems harsh until you remember this is the third time. The lad gives his all for us, but we can't afford to have a player that misses a large chunk of games every season."

"Only got himself to blame.

Idiot."

"He deserved it in all honesty

Something had to be done

Puts a huge dampner on us hoping to really go for the league next season all guns blazing

No one to blame but himself though

Poor Luis someone said ? Poor Luis nothing

He has to learn"

These are just a few comments from a random page I clicked on. SO please enough with the constant 'Liverpool fans are all defending him BS'. I'd imagine if you went to ANY fan forums there are a few vocal individuals who wear rose tinted glasses.

EDIT: I am more than a little bit amused that someone who doesn't support Liverpool went to RAWK specifically looking for troll bait, oh dear.......

CP is a Liverpool fan last I checked :confused:

Couldn't he just not repeatedly bite people? It's Liverpool's problem for signing him and they should blame him, not Fifa.

I partly agree there. Liverpool signed him knowing he had a history but he was a great talent. They trusted him when he apologised and said it wouldn't happen again, which showed a bit of naivety.

Doesn't mean they are victims or anything though, a multi million pound company can't really be a victim of what their employee does. They're going to suffer from his actions, they are going to fight FIFA about it and argue they shouldn't be affected by what he did while not playing for them.

Eh? I am a Liverpool fan, and I only read the first two pages of that before going "oh dear"

So only two pages out of 69? What's your point? Why the 'oh dear'?

From the first two pages:

"Really had enough of all this now, I love him for everything he's done and the goals he's scored but it's Liverpool who suffer, again, because the man simply cannot control himself. Why are we being punished for something he's done on international duty? It's beyond a joke but there's no defending him and his idiocy has again had huge consequences for us."

"Can't complain really considering it's his third offence.The man needs to get some help."

"Seriously ****ed off with him to be honest. It really is just one thing after another."

"Good. Maybe it will finally cause Suarez to get the help he needs & our supporters to stop defending him until he truly changes. We should be furious at Suarez no one else."

It's easy to cherry pick a few reactions, so let be clear here, NOT all Liverpool fans think he is beyond reproach so enough with the 'oh dear, those deluded Liverpool fans, victim mentality' bs style posts that a few people want to throw our way.

Not sure what you're trying to say now. So they're not deep-set psychological issues? How does "planning and intent" change everything?

Because simplifying it to "everything is psychology" would have anyone who'd undertaken even the first month of study in the field howling with laughter, let alone trained professionals. I'm not sure if you're actually trying to compare the two instances (which are so different as to be incomparable), or you're actually trying to say it's not a problem and therefore punishment is enough.

"What a joke, 2 months less that Rio got for missing a drugs test. Shocking by FIFA."

"Are they ****ing serious?"

"Unfair. Totally unfair. Poor luis." :D :D

"Hey mods, can we start a thread to show our support to our Luis? No discussion on the incidence, the ban, but just show our support to our player?

I hope we meant what we say in our badge - I am writing to the club now to show my support and I hope others do the same.

He and his family needs it now." :D:D

Hl7Fo9a.jpg:D D

Oh dear....

Because simplifying it to "everything is psychology" would have anyone who'd undertaken even the first month of study in the field howling with laughter, let alone trained professionals. I'm not sure if you're actually trying to compare the two instances (which are so different as to be incomparable), or you're actually trying to say it's not a problem and therefore punishment is enough.

I'm not saying either. In fact I've not stated my opinion on this, only you did then played the man not the ball when rightly questioned.

The reality is you don't know why Suarez, Armstrong, Santambrogio or anyone else did what they did. But you do have an opinion, which you've struggled to clearly articulate, hence why quite a few in this thread have continually questioned.

It's a psychological response. It needs treatment, because punishment hasn't worked.

That's the ONLY opinion I've put forward, I've said it clearly in the past. I'm not sure why I need to articulate that more clearly. I'm not sure why those points are even being questioned, because they seem fairly obvious.

You're the one putting forward other instances for comparison, and I've said they're irrelevant. Frankly, I've no idea what point you're trying to make, so if you want to actually clarify...

Oh dear....

As I said in my OP, it's VERY easy to cherry pick quotes. It just gets SO annoying when you see nonsense posts intimating that the majority of all Liverpool fans don't see that he has done anything wrong.

Here's a link to a thread where there are a few people who don't agree Suarez should be punished, the rest do though but we will ignore them and just pretend that all Liverpool fans don't agree. Oh dear.

As I said in my OP, it's VERY easy to cherry pick quotes. It just gets SO annoying when you see nonsense posts intimating that the majority of all Liverpool fans don't see that he has done anything wrong.

Here's a link to a thread where there are a few people who don't agree Suarez should be punished, the rest do though but we will ignore them and just pretend that all Liverpool fans don't agree. Oh dear.

Very easy to cherry pick quotes yet you've done exactly the same thing?

Very easy to cherry pick quotes yet you've done exactly the same thing?

I was responding to the person who posted a link to 69 page forum posts, read a few 'poor suarez' style posts over the first two pages and ignored the people who weren't defending him. By posting a link to the RAWK thread followed by 'oh dear' you are basically saying oh dear look at all those deluded Liverpool fans. This is simply not the case as I have shown.

It's a psychological response. It needs treatment, because punishment hasn't worked.

That's the ONLY opinion I've put forward, I've said it clearly in the past. I'm not sure why I need to articulate that more clearly. I'm not sure why those points are even being questioned, because they seem fairly obvious.

You're the one putting forward other instances for comparison, and I've said they're irrelevant. Frankly, I've no idea what point you're trying to make, so if you want to actually clarify...

You said its a psychological response.

You the said its laughable to simplify and argument to "everything is psychology"

I introduced previous sporting indiscretions where you strongly supported a ban. You said they were incomparable, citing prior intent but without any explanation.

I asked you to explain and you didn't.

You feel the points are "fairly obvious" yet myself, and presumably others who've also questioned, do not feel the same way.

And that brings us to now.

I said nothing about the majority of Liverpool fans. There's enough content on that RAWK thread for every sensible fan of Liverpool or not to laugh at.

Then explain the 'oh dear' comment?

It's like me posting a random link to any football forum and simply saying 'oh dear'. It serves no purpose whatsover.

But you just went and cherry picked to prove a point against cherry picking :D

nevermind, oh dear...

tbf i think your getting a bit worked up here over very little. CP is a Liverpool fan, if you cant laugh at your own crazy fans then something is wrong with you.

Maybe I am, maybe I need to goto bed after a twelve hour shift. I'd be the first to admit that Liverpool have a few of the rose tinted crowd, but in all the majority seem to be pretty normal football fans. So yeah when I see posts eluding to 'victim mentality, typical deluded Liverpool fans' it does kind of get my back up.

Maybe I am, maybe I need to goto bed after a twelve hour shift. I'd be the first to admit that Liverpool have a few of the rose tinted crowd, but in all the majority seem to be pretty normal football fans. So yeah when I see posts eluding to 'victim mentality, typical deluded Liverpool fans' it does kind of get my back up.

Again, tbf, its part of the course, especially after the whole t-shirt incident. You need thicker skin my friend.

You said its a psychological response.

You the said its laughable to simplify and argument to "everything is psychology"

I introduced previous sporting indiscretions where you strongly supported a ban. You said they were incomparable, citing prior intent but without any explanation.

I asked you to explain and you didn't.

You feel the points are "fairly obvious" yet myself, and presumably others who've also questioned, do not feel the same way.

And that brings us to now.

Suarez's actions are a psychological response. Biting is that. Here's someone saying why. And another doctor. And another

So, we've established that it's a psychological response to stress. Now, hopefully we agree that's now fairly obvious.

You then raised the examples of other athletes in situations - none of which are, in any way shape or form similar - saying that they were clearly psychological issues, inferring (I guess, I still have no idea what your point was) every person who's done something wrong in sport has done so out of some psychological issue, and that they were somehow relevant to this.

Psychology isn't that simple, and every human reaction/response can't be drawn down to it's most instinctive/primal reaction like that, so trying to draw parallels is ridiculous. You're basically trying to draw parallels between two things, simply because I supported a ban in a completely separate instance (I don't remember saying anything about Santambrogio btw, so not quite sure where you dug that up from). Wholly different, so I'm still trying to understand why you're trying to draw the parallel. Is it simply because I supported a ban for one offence, yet haven't stated whether I did on this, completely different, and in no way comparable offence, because literally the only linking factor you can possibly draw on the two is that I've posted about them? Seems a bit bizarre - and makes it appear as though your intent here is simply to somehow show I'm making a false argument through a point I didn't raise?

TLDR: Why are you comparing apples to oranges, then asking me to explain why they're not comparable, and questioning why that's not obvious?

Then explain the 'oh dear' comment?

It's like me posting a random link to any football forum and simply saying 'oh dear'. It serves no purpose whatsover.

AGAIN, you're aware that CP is a Liverpool fan, right?

Just because he's a not a blithering idiot, doesn't make him any less of a Liverpool fan you know?

He's allowed to mock his fellow fans when he sees them acting all clownshoes.

Again, tbf, its part of the course, especially after the whole t-shirt incident. You need thicker skin my friend.

Nah I think people should stop picking on my beloved Liverpool who can do no wrong in my eyes, and there should be some sort of apology made to Suarez, maybe in the form of a national day of celebration or something :p

I think that PoolFan is getting at is the selective quoting. People highlight the more mental side of fans and ignore the normal, rational ones and it is annoying - furthering the stereotype of LOLZ LIVERPOOL FANS ARE DUMB!!!11! When we're clearly like every other club out there that has rational fans and absolute clownshoes.

Nah I think people should stop picking on my beloved Liverpool who can do no wrong in my eyes, and there should be some sort of apology made to Suarez, maybe in the form of a national day of celebration or something :p

Much better :D

I think that PoolFan is getting at is the selective quoting. People highlight the more mental side of fans and ignore the normal, rational ones and it is annoying - furthering the stereotype of LOLZ LIVERPOOL FANS ARE DUMB!!!11! When we're clearly like every other club out there that has rational fans and absolute clownshoes.

Yeah i get that, and these boards are wonderful for that kinda thing, but such is the internet. You wont win the fight to convince people otherwise, so why get worked up by it.

Much better :D

Yeah i get that, and these boards are wonderful for that kinda thing, but such is the internet. You wont win the fight to convince people otherwise, so why get worked up by it.

It's why I stopped being worked up by stuff that happens here during my last stint. It's not worth it, people are clownshoes here - the worst offenders I have on block, makes it a lot easier to manage.

Suarez's actions are a psychological response. Biting is that. Here's someone saying why. And another doctor. And another

So, we've established that it's a psychological response to stress. Now, hopefully we agree that's now fairly obvious.

You then raised the examples of other athletes in situations - none of which are, in any way shape or form similar - saying that they were clearly psychological issues, inferring (I guess, I still have no idea what your point was) every person who's done something wrong in sport has done so out of some psychological issue, and that they were somehow relevant to this.

Psychology isn't that simple, and every human reaction/response can't be drawn down to it's most instinctive/primal reaction like that, so trying to draw parallels is ridiculous. You're basically trying to draw parallels between two things, simply because I supported a ban in a completely separate instance (I don't remember saying anything about Santambrogio btw, so not quite sure where you dug that up from). Wholly different, so I'm still trying to understand why you're trying to draw the parallel. Is it simply because I supported a ban for one offence, yet haven't stated whether I did on this, completely different, and in no way comparable offence, because literally the only linking factor you can possibly draw on the two is that I've posted about them? Seems a bit bizarre - and makes it appear as though your intent here is simply to somehow show I'm making a false argument through a point I didn't raise?

TLDR: Why are you comparing apples to oranges, then asking me to explain why they're not comparable, and questioning why that's not obvious?

Suarez and Armstrong are both high profile sportsmen, both cheats. Commentary on both referred to psychological issues of both. But you find them incomparable, with the only explanation offered been that Suarez was instinctive or primal. Clearly you're not going to expand on that so let's leave that.

My intent wasn't to misrepresent you, just to understand the difference, in your opinion, between the punishments for people in sport.

Archived