Match 10 - Group E - France v Honduras - 20:00 BST - The Emilio Izaguirre Appreciation thread

Rhino

Be honest, who else though Blaise Matuidi scored tonight? It was like Raheem Sterling all over again.

well from the camera angle we had, you could see it wasn't a goal almost instantly. With Sterling's shot, the camera angle meant you had no chance to see until the ball stopped dead and the goalkeeper's hands obscured it even more

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair though when you run a replay of the goal technology in the stadium and everyone is waiting to know if it crossed the line and then you flash up 'NO GOAL' you can see the scope for confusion.

Fans there at the ground perhaps not saying 'oh well that is clearly from the hitting the post, now let me wait patiently for what happened after that and an entirely seperate decision' :D

I'm glad that everyone on here understands goal line technology, or just has common sense, unlike some of the media. I remember screaming at the TV, baffled why Pearce was questioning the decision and the technology which worked in a very comprehensive and conclusive way.....Goal line technology basically.

This was probably a slightly more unusual situation where GLT will have to be used, as it had the two phases of play, the two decisions to rule, but it did it quickly and perfectly. Maybe to the crowd in the stadium, in real time, its slightly more difficult to see why there were the two 'decisions', but it was absolutely the right decisions.

As far as the 'Hawk eye' technology in general is concerned, you could still debate the absolute accuracy of the camera/Computer imagery I suppose, I mean in much more close call situations. Only like you could in Tennis and Cricket etc over the years. I believe it to very accurate and correct, but I'm just saying you could do........today's example doesn't even raise that question however, as it looked a goal even to the naked eye.

Fans of arch-rivals Grêmio and Internacional clashed at the Beira-Rio stadium (in the seats) during the game between France and Honduras.

Of course, like all bad news such as protests, people having stuff stolen, etc..., this incident barely got reported.

The crowd I can understand, they're pretty far away and wouldn't have seen it in real time the way we and the commentators did so I can understand why the first part of the replay would confuse them. Absolutely no excuse for Pearce's reaction though.

To say Sepp Blatter didnt want to use goal line technology because it would slow decisions down, they manage to get the answer pretty quickly

As much as he is an evil, corrupt man, that is incorrect.

He said they WOULD use goal line technology once they found a system that was proven to work and WOULD NOT slow games down.

He has delivered exactly that and we just need Platini and UEFA to follow suit.

The whole 'once we found a system' seemed to involve them vetoing everything put in front of them and also had an air of 'bring things to me' rather than them trying to be pro-active

I think they finally relented when things became obvious they needed to do something

Has there ever been a World Cup with more dives, etc... than this one?

Even here in Brazil where diving is relatively common some people are complaining about that.

I've only just got around to reading through this thread and saw this. the cheek of brazilians to complain about too much diving, when it was fred's disgusting dive in the opening game that set them up to win that game :lol:

Archived