Match 7 England V Italy 23:00 BST KO BBC1

Djstu23

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I've seen or heard so much praise for a free kick that wasn't at any point going in. :lol:

Not even on target.

Had it been Barkley then you lot would be falling over yourselves trying to find enough words to praise him. The free kick was an incredible attempt, there can be no question of that.

Had it been Barkley then you lot would be falling over yourselves trying to find enough words to praise him. The free kick was an incredible attempt, there can be no question of that.

tbh I've never liked those types of freekicks, a lot of it is hitting it in a certain way then hoping the ball moves about a lot. There's more chance of it flying out of the stadium than there is of it going in, but when it does go in it looks good. The Juninho and Beckham style of freekick is miles better and more skillful imo.

I wonder if its the same kind of free kick he talks about in his book, the copy of the Juninhio (Lyon one) free kick that he worked on for ages.

It was the Drogba style of freekick.

He mishit it.

Err......... no.

Well done if you're actually trolling though :thup:

I wonder if its the same kind of free kick he talks about in his book, the copy of the Juninhio (Lyon one) free kick that he worked on for ages.

Yep.

tbh I've never liked those types of freekicks, a lot of it is hitting it in a certain way then hoping the ball moves about a lot. There's more chance of it flying out of the stadium than there is of it going in, but when it does go in it looks good. The Juninho and Beckham style of freekick is miles better and more skillful imo.

Wrapping your foot around a dead-ball is elementary stuff compared to the technique required to hit it without imparting any rotation. No comparison to be had whatsoever. Getting both up and over a wall, down again, and accurately enough to beat a goalie is a different matter though :)

It's hilarious how, in every single major tournament, as soon as a single shot or free-kick flies anywhere off straight the new ball is always singled out as the source. It's complete nonsense. If you watch these shots then in every single instance, every single one without exception, you'll see the ball move because it has no rotation on it. When there's a typical rotation on the very same ball it behaves perfectly predictably. All footballs have done this since the adoption of the 'modern' type of football in the 60's and 70's, the only reason it's so noticeable now is because of the dramatic increase in the quality of the images produced by TV cameras clearly showing the rotation or lack thereof, and the preponderance of cameras showing the shots from angles you wouldn't have seen years back clearly showing the ball 'fluttering'. All types of balls used in sports do the same thing, it's just that football has always been slower than other sports to investigate and understand why a football will do certain things under unusual conditions. Great example posted in the Football forum a couple of months back, free-kick from what looked about 40 yards out, filmed from behind the attacking team's goal, ball flies perfectly straight towards the goalie then suddenly dips and moves away about 4-5 meters. Can clear as day see the absence of rotation on it.

Here ya go -

MIev8C0.gif

You can see the ball begin to rotate slowly after it begins to veer violently, but that's down to the air resistance. It moves like that precisely because when it leaves Calhanoglu's foot he imparts no rotation on it. I'm not even sure that's the exact example which was posted in here, but it's very similar and shows the exact same phenomenon.

Archived