Match 3 - Group B - Spain vs The Netherlands - 20:00 BST

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looked like Costa was desperately trying to make sure his trailing foot was taken, failed, but the ref gave him the penalty anyway as reward for the effort :thup:

Defender missed him so Costa quickly his extended leg and positioned it just in time so the trailing leg of Dutch player could catch him. Slow-mo show it nicely.

Players just as much to blame tbf. Its hard for the officials when the players are cheating like they are

Need retrospective action taking again people that dive

Yeah, that's true tbh. FIFA really does need to get into the current century and use technology and more officials to ref the game. Football seems to have descended to 90mins of two teams trying to con the ref to win.

It wasn't a penalty but really difficult to notice it at normal speed unlike yesterday's shambles. Whilst I'm not okay with it, I suppose that was a really good dive by Costa.

Daley Blind is looking like a really nice player, I'd never watched him play.

Yeah, that's true tbh. FIFA really does need to get into the current century and use technology and more officials to ref the game. Football seems to have descended to 90mins of two teams trying to con the ref to win.

Problem is, refusal of any kind of technology or even retro punishment is nudge and wink 'if you get away with it on the day then it's ok'

It was penalty. Smart move from Costa. Defender was pretty dumb. How he does this on WC?

Yep, another popular statement that excuses players that gain fouls. It's somehow a defenders fault that they dared tackling and, you know, playing football

Full speed it looked a penalty. Slow motion you can see he left his leg there and even messed that up because he ended up standing on the defender.

Whatever gets LvG to United quicker is fine by me.

Yeah in real time it looked a pen, after 5/6 slow mo's maybe not so much, there is no way the ref can win, not unless FIFA do something about it with technology.

This. I've only just realised that they are not using the extra officials due to favouring goal-line tech. Pity FIFA can't work out which is more helpful.

Problem is, refusal of any kind of technology or even retro punishment is nudge and wink 'if you get away with it on the day then it's ok'

I think it's a british thing as well, other nations seem to see tricking the ref as a legitimate part of the game.

Archived