Coventry City: 2nd season blues. A 4-2-3-1 Dilemma

Hi Everyone,

First time I've started a thread of my own on these forums, so please feel free to ask for any additional information that you may require to help me sort out my tactical issues.

As an introduction, I've been a long time fan of Llama's Pairs and Combinations thread and have successfully integrated his methods into the game. Most recently that came in the form of an online game with Coventry City. In the 1st season (with a 10pt deduction) I came 3rd due to losing the final game of the season, or automatic promotion would have been achieved. I then proceeded to go through the playoff final, where I lost and found myself having to go through another season of League 1.

The second season has been a lot more difficult for me, even though I have what I consider to be a much stronger team. League comparisons show that my team is solid defensively, have the best midfield, along with the quickest and smartest moving attacks in the league. As such, I try to play the game in a way the leverages both my great passers in midfield and great speed up front.

At Home when I'm the favorites I enjoy playing Direct, Attacking football. This means ensuring my 3 attacking midfielders are either running at defenders or getting into dangerous positions. My 2 x MC's are my cover, but also the ones who start all my attacks from deep. John Fleck is particularly effective at spraying passes all over the pitch for my attacking quartet to take advantage of.

4-2-3-1 Attacking / Fluid.

Instructions: More Direct Passing, Drill Crosses, Stick to Positions, Get Stuck In.

GK-D: Sam Johnstone

(DL) WB-A: Blair Adams

(DCR) DC-D: Jack Stephens

(DCL) DC-D: Jordan Willis

(DR) FB-S: Cyrus Christie

(MCR) DLP-S: John Fleck

(MCL) BWM-D: Connor Thomas

(AMC) Trequarista: Chuks Aneke / Billy Knott

(AMR) W-A: Carl Baker

(AML) IF-S/AP-S: Franck Moussa / Tom Lawrence

(SC) AF-A: Shaquile Coulthirst

Away from home, or in tougher games I play a similar style, but more possession based. This means I pass the ball around, until an opportunity presents itself, or one of my attacking players loses his marker and gets threaded through.

4-2-3-1, Counter, Balanced

Instructions: Short Passing, Pass Into Space, Sits Narrower, Stick to Positions, Get Stuck In, Drill Crosses

GK-D: Sam Johnstone

WB-A: Blair Adams

DC-D: Jack Stephens

DC-D: Jordan Willis

FB-S: Aaron Phillips

CM-D: Connor Coady

DLP-S: John Fleck

IF-S: Franck Moussa

W-A: Carl Baker

AP-S: Chuks Aneke (roam from position)

AF-A: Shaquile Coulthirst

The following is a link to a couple of games where my team fell apart.

http://rapidshare.com/share/68245798...6620E437DB4848

What I am trying to understand is why my team is conceding so many goals, and why I am struggling to create good chances. The MK Dons game is an example of spruning chances, whereas the other is an example of me being dominated. Whilst I believe I am fairly good at constructing a team in FM, I do struggle in reading the game and finding out what is going wrong with my team tactically.

Any assistance or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't seem to access your upload so I can't tell for sure but there might be these issues:

Reading your tactics you have two attacking duties down one flank which might well leave you open to be exploited there. In my 4231 (which I admit is not my current first choice tactic) I have had to go with two full backs on support duty. At the least I would pair up the attacking full back / wing back with a support duty on the wing (or possibly even a defend?).

For your home tactic your BWM will be charging about out of position trying to get the ball. Perhaps a CM duty would be better, especially on fluid.

Do you need your DLP to be supporting attacks with 4 attacking players? Would a defend duty encourage him to sit in directing play in front or the defence and shoring it up a bit.

A bit out of my zone of experience as I don't play fluid but isn't having a fluid tactic yet instructing players to hold positions a bit contradictory? Would a more balanced philosophy also help to stop players being dragged out of positions?

Thanks for the reply Oldhear. I understand where your coming from with the BWM-D and have actually used a CM-D previously, so will go back to that in my attacking formation.

With relation to the one side having two attacking players, this was an error in my initial post. My left side has a WB-A / AP-S or IF-S (both sit narrower). My right side is a FB-S / W-A.

Rather then try and fix the upload, I thought ill take this thread in a different direction. I'll try and analyse my own games, and people can assist me when I'm either going in the wrong direction or rabbit hole.

I'll use your advice for the DLP-S and change him to a DLP-D.

I agree that Fleck is great with the passing, but he is quite weak defensively. Using him as one of your two deep midfielders is asking for trouble, especially when paired with a below average ball winner such as Thomas. I would try to use Fleck in one of the three AM roles if you continue using a 4-2-3-1. Alternatively, you can keep him at MC if you switch your formation to add another DM or defensive MC into the mix.

My first signing as a Coventry manager would be a gritty midfielder, since the team really lacks in that department to start the game. If he has experience and leadership then that's even better because the team is short on leaders/veterans too.

Archived