The Anyone But Netherlands Thread

Hom3r

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Total Football reduced to theatrics and diving.

Sad sad day.

*insert name of Netherlands legend* would roll in their grave

Too easy. It's one guy (two if you count Krul) out of a squad of 23. I'd say the Dutch have adopted a new standard of counter-attacking and rough play in 2006: the Battle of Nuremberg marked the beginning of this era. In 2008 we were a counter-attacking side exposed by Russia. Everybody remembers 2010 and I am trying to forget 2012. Total Football died a long time ago.

Almost every team I've seen playing consists of divers and time-wasters nowadays. Look at Costa Rica: I've seen them dive a few times as well, with incessant time wasting to boot. Same goes for Brazil and Argentina. I hate theatrics as much as the next guy and I hate Robben's antics as well, but it is undeniable that he gets assaulted every single game. One dive and the global press misquoting Robben and everybody goes batshit crazy.

One dive and the global press misquoting Robben and everybody goes batshit crazy.

One dive? One dive per game is maybe about right.

It's not really related to the national team tho. Robben does it everywhere and it is really a pain in the ass to play against Bayern with their notorious divers Robben, Ribbery and Müller. As you said that's normal today and nearly every team have such players. No need to blame the Netherlands for it.

• SI Staff
I was rooting for the Netherlands yesterday because I wanted a rematch of Argentina-Holland. Having said that, and despite some issues like the Martins-Robben incident and Van Gaal´s arrogance and stupid remarks, the Dutch team is using Flamengo facilities and they were very good in PR, impressing everyone with their openess and empathy.

But then Krul was such an idiot trying to gain leverage on the Costa Rica players (imo should be cautioned and ejected upon insistence but the referee was a moron) that I had to resort in all my rationality to keep rooting for them.

Against Argentina would be easier, but I like Messi so much that I intend to be neutral at this moment.

Cheers,

Tele

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, you can't blame Krul. He tried to get underneath the skin of the players and the referee allowed it. Had the referee warned Krul properly for the first penalty and carded him with the second - he wouldn't have continued it.

He had the right corner 5 times out of 5 - you can't blame that on intimidation.

• SI Staff
One dive? One dive per game is maybe about right.

It's not really related to the national team tho. Robben does it everywhere and it is really a pain in the ass to play against Bayern with their notorious divers Robben, Ribbery and Müller. As you said that's normal today and nearly every team have such players. No need to blame the Netherlands for it.

I didn't see any Robben dive against Costa Rica though. Every foul was a foul - and in the first half there was a debatable incident where we believed we should have been given a penalty. In fact, Robben did have his shirt pulled. I wouldn't have given the penalty either, but he was definitely brought down.

I can only remember the one dive agaisnt Mexico as well. There WAS contact in stoppage time, even though he made the most of that foul - And I wouldn't have given that penalty either - but that means it wasn't a dive.

It was more flopping than diving, so. Anyways, unsportsmanship. Not that most players wouldn´t do it, though.

I thought Costa Rica had a very good case for a penalty, much more than the one you cited. Having said that, the numbers prove that Holland was the much better team.

As a neutral, it was a very challenging match. I was rooting for Holland at the start so we could see a showdown against Argentina, and perhaps vindicate the 78 loss in a World Cup that was (that one, probably the most ever) designed for the home team to win at any costs. Then it is tough not to root for the underdog once the match is on, and then Krul made it even more difficult with his antics.

But in the end of the day, the best team, that played a lot better, won. I look forward to the Netherlands-Argentina match.

Cheers,

Tele

Just read that FIFA are going to investigate Krul's antics during the penalties. Really?! If anything, they should then investigate the ref. And using that heavy measure for trash talking...

Seeing as Materazzi got off without anything, I have full confidence in FIFA to reach the same sort of conclusion. "You hear this sort of thing every day on a football pitch." [/sarcasm]

what's there to investigate as the ref didn't act on it and it won't change the results anyway. Unless they use it to improve proceedings for pens in the future of course.

But hey he's no Van Breukelen (yet?).

• SI Staff
Krul is to be punished, and FIFA will send Costa Rica to replace the Netherlands in the semifinal.

And by the way, Materazzi and Zidane were both punished.

Since Van Gaal also instructed Krul - Van Gaal will also receive a 1 year touchline ban. This means Manchester Utd. can look for a new manager.

I am ok with trash talking, both in the match, and in PKs. The issue was the guy stepping out every PK to slow down the shooting and that in your face attitude in PKs. He could definitely yelled something, he could have told the opponents he knew where they would shoot and so on so forth. But the referee should have cautioned him the first time he got off his mark, and then he wouldn´t do it anymore. As I said, being a neutral and wanting to see great matches I was rooting for Holland. But found Krul to be an arrogant *****, just like Van Gaal is.

Cheers,

Tele

I am ok with trash talking, both in the match, and in PKs. The issue was the guy stepping out every PK to slow down the shooting and that in your face attitude in PKs. He could definitely yelled something, he could have told the opponents he knew where they would shoot and so on so forth. But the referee should have cautioned him the first time he got off his mark, and then he wouldn´t do it anymore. As I said, being a neutral and wanting to see great matches I was rooting for Holland. But found Krul to be an arrogant *****, just like Van Gaal is.

Cheers,

Tele

Don't blame him, blame the ref :brock:

Why is almost everyone so uppity about intimidation in a football game? That's been happening for ages. As long as you don't progress into physical stuff and/or racism/discrimination/that type of thing, it's perfectly part of the game. If you can't stand that, please, you don't need to be in the quarters of a World Cup.

• SI Staff

I would say that Holland were slightly better over the whole, but neither team really created much. I think Argentina had two bigger chances though. But as a whole I think Holland were slightly better.

@RubenJ in slating the Holland team shocker though ;)

I think it's pretty funny the Dutch are all saying they were the better team.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to make that up, tbh. You've turned into quite a bitter little hater, haven't you? :D

I didn't slate them? I said it was in the balance, with Argentina marginally better.

You even say so yourself Argentina had the best chances (even if they were few and far between), so don't understand how Holland were better?

I think it's pretty ridiculous to make that up, tbh. You've turned into quite a bitter little hater, haven't you? :D

when in doubt, fall back on the "bitter" comment!

It were comments from your players and Van Gaal. Where did I make anything up? also where do I sound bitter? I'm enjoying this poor team going out, what reasons should I have for being bitter :D

• SI Staff
I dont think Holland created a single chance in the game, i have no idea how anyone could say they were the better team, they played for pens from 45 minutes onwards.

The Robben shot was goalbound, but Mascherano blocked that - that was definitely a chance.

• SI Staff
Ok so one chance, in the first half, that wasnt even on target. Remind me why Holland were the better team then?

If you look at the overall game and possession, Holland clearly had more of that. I think there was more threat from the Dutch sides - but more failure in Kuijt and Sneijder to actually deliver. And RvP being offside for most of the match.

If you look at the overall game and possession, Holland clearly had more of that. I think there was more threat from the Dutch sides - but more failure in Kuijt and Sneijder to actually deliver. And RvP being offside for most of the match.

More threat from the dutch side, even tho you had one half chance that wasnt on target, whereas Argentina had about 3 very good chances to score and didnt take them? Higuain could have had two alone. Nothing so far shows that Holland were better last night. You had lots of the ball, in useless area's, which was clearly Argentina's plan. Let you waste time passing around your five man defense and get no where with it. Im not sure that RVP even touched the ball in the second half, he was so isolated on his own.

He shot it, but Mascherano managed to block it into a corner.

Yeah I know, but that was after having taken an unnecessary touch. These things happen in a flash of course so Robben can't really be blamed. And Mascherano was brilliant throughout, that probably being his best moment.

That injury to Mascherano looked bad, by the way. Knees giving away just like that. Concussion? Good for him and Argentina that he could continue, even though you can't help but wonder if that's a dangerous thing to do or not.

Archived