• Gonzalo Higuain (ARG)
    • Fred (BRA)
    • Thomas Muller (GER)
    • Romelu Lukaku (BEL)
    • Karim Benzema (FRA)
    • Robin van Persie (NTH)
    • Mario Balotelli (ITA)
    • Edinson Cavani (URU)
    • Other (E.G - Shola, Giroud, Gervinho etc)

After last year where Muller, Villa, Forlan and Sneijder all finished level, perhaps it is now important to consider assist potential when betting/predicting? Muller of course won it after having 3 assists, with the other guys only having 1. Have posted the odds below just incase anyone was interested. Poll included obv.

49a5533e46e25d0e20e43589b8b80f9b.png

18982af2bf23334b48c89c9bf50f4c73.png

9ec1fe1f7f5257fb24436e56a847699d.png

822e4e1b99fe854bff55e9b4df7c57d6.png

c914b2bbff8dc73af1526fa76354121f.png

3c7cf43ac8b3a9d05d35ba8e864d9842.png

Others of note:

Mandzukic - ranges from 50/1 to 200/1

Not exactly going to look like a genius if it comes off seeing as he's the favourite but my money will be on Messi. Think it's going to be the year he cements his status, and his group (along with him being their penalty taker) settles it. Fred looks a big price too though.

Some bookies have it as golden boot, and some as top scorer by the way, so probably best checking that if you're betting. Golden boot = one winner, based on assists, top scorer = dead heat rules.

my money is on Messi fwiw, they're my pick to win the thing and they've got quite an easy group imo. could easily go to Aguero or Higuain as well imo. Muller not a bad shout to retain it as I think Germany will go far. Neymar a decent shout if he can live up to the hype, can't see Portugal going too far but Ronaldo of course worth a shout if he gets a hat-trick in the group stage or something.

I fancy Dzeko. Giving their group, he could quite easily bag 5 goals in that group and that end up being enough to win the Golden Boot based on minutes per goal/games played (however they decide it when players are tied). 100/1 in some places is decent odds too :thup:

I fancy Dzeko. Giving their group, he could quite easily bag 5 goals in that group and that end up being enough to win the Golden Boot based on minutes per goal/games played (however they decide it when players are tied). 100/1 in some places is decent odds too :thup:

It's by assists as was mentioned higher up.

Alexis may not be a bad shout, Chile have the potential to go a long way and as far as I know he's their main goalscorer. Similar could be said of Russia as they have a decent group, Kerzhakov or Kokorin may be decent value (though not the former if he plays like he did at Euro 2012).

I am backing Messi for it but I think Balotelli is quite good on those odds potentially. Aguero is another possibility.

I wouldn't back Costa because 1) Spain generally don't score lots of goals 2) he isn't a great fit for their style of play so could be dropped if things don't go too well.

• 3 weeks later...

Put my bet on Neymar, the home advantage should edge it for him.

Don't particularly rate Benzema, at least not for France.

Would've gone with Diego Costa but I think his recovering injury will hold him back. Same goes for Ronaldo & Aguero. Messi I'm not sure about, he's not exactly the goal machine for Argentina.

Might even go with a biased bet on Lukaku, who'll be looking for revenge of FIFA ruling out his hat-trick against Luxembourg :D

I think this WC will be similarly low scoring, so I'm just going to dismiss all of the 'he's got a good group' talk and assume it won't make that much difference. Spain don't score too many/have a strong focal point and the same for Germany, so I'm going to stick my neck out and say Messi or Neymar. Or at least an Argentinian or Brazilian.

• Administrators
Adam Taggart after coming off an A-League Golden Boot and Young Player of the Year he'll tear Spain, Chile and Holland to shreds

Is he remotely likely to start? Was interested in him as Australia's top scorer, even if it might only take one goal to win it.

Had my bet on Thomas Muller to be top scorer, I doubled it with Germany to win the WC.

At worse I can see Germany getting to the semi's, they may not be in a group that has 1 of the whipping boys but this German side on it's day can beat any team by scoring 4 or 5 goals.

Muller has an eye for goal and if his luck is in I can see him bagging 5 or 6 goals throughout the competition.

33/1 for him and doubled with Germany to win makes it a 200/1 double.

Had my bet on Thomas Muller to be top scorer, I doubled it with Germany to win the WC.

At worse I can see Germany getting to the semi's, they may not be in a group that has 1 of the whipping boys but this German side on it's day can beat any team by scoring 4 or 5 goals.

Muller has an eye for goal and if his luck is in I can see him bagging 5 or 6 goals throughout the competition.

33/1 for him and doubled with Germany to win makes it a 200/1 double.

Where did you do that, daylight?

Archived