Mesut Özil (Arenal)

Lukas Podolski (Arsenal)

Marco Reus (Dortmund)

Andre Schürrle (Chelsea)

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern München)

Attack:

Miroslav Klose (Lazio)

Kevin Volland (Hoffenheim)

I kind of want Germany to win as well, quite a big fan of the players they have at the moment. I thought Meyer and Draxler looked good against Poland the other night, shame neither of them are likely to make the final squad but obviously they'll both be big parts in the future squads.

Surely Zieler has paid Löw for a place in the squad, i cannot believe he´s been picked, especially as there are so many better, and proven goalkeepers in the league!

Hasn't played all year. I think Löw is a bit stubborn taking him. Then again, we can't see how he is in training, maybe he's reaching top form.

He played in the last two or three games for Real Madrid, so he has played. Plus he will get the friendlies. It's not really enough to get fully fit after an ACL injury, but given the number of central midfielders falling down, I don't think Löw has much choice but to see what his condition is like.

He played in the last two or three games for Real Madrid, so he has played. Plus he will get the friendlies. It's not really enough to get fully fit after an ACL injury, but given the number of central midfielders falling down, I don't think Löw has much choice but to see what his condition is like.

Exactly. Maybe Khedira gets some minutes tonight and afterwards he will be tested at the DFB training camp. If he isn't fit enough Lahm will play in central midfield.

• 2 weeks later...
Löw strikes his Germany balance

Joachim Löw has opted for Erik Durm, Matthias Ginter and Christoph Kramer over Marcel Schmelzer, Shkodran Mustafi and Kevin Volland in a Germany squad with only one recognised forward.

Left-back Durm, versatile defender Ginter and holding midfielder Kramer have only five caps between them, but all will be going to Brazil in a squad with only one recognized striker in 36-year-old Miroslav Klose. Durm was selected over his Borussia Dortmund colleague Schmelzer, who has been suffering from knee problems and was not available for last night's 2-2 friendly draw against Cameroon.

Centre-back Mustafi and striker Volland have also missed the cut in a squad captained by Phillip Lahm, currently sidelined with an injury (ankle) along with Bastian Schweinsteiger (knee) and Manuel Neuer (shoulder).

"We have the right mixture of young and highly talented players and those with lots of tournament experience, who know what it takes," Löw said. "Our squad is well-balanced – we have two players for every position. Our players have character, our team has character. With this squad, we travel to Brazil full of confidence – we have big goals there."

On Friday, Germany welcome Armenia to Mainz for a charity match, before leaving for Brazil on Saturday. There they will play Portugal (16 June), Ghana (21 June) and the United States (26 June) in Group G.

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern München), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96).

Defenders: Jérôme Boateng (FC Bayern München), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Kevin Grosskreutz (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Höwedes (FC Schalke 04), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Philipp Lahm (FC Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal FC).

Midfielders: Julian Draxler (FC Schalke 04), Matthias Ginter (SC Freiburg), Mario Götze (FC Bayern München), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid CF), Christoph Kramer (VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach), Toni Kroos (FC Bayern München), Thomas Müller (FC Bayern München), Mesut Özil (Arsenal FC), Lukas Podolski (Arsenal FC), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), André Schürrle (Chelsea FC), Bastian Schweinsteiger (FC Bayern München).

Forwards: Miroslav Klose (SS Lazio).

Would've prefer that he had kept Volland and instead send Draxler home

You forget that Schurrle and Podolski can play there as well

Löw already said Podolski is not an option as striker and Schürrle hasn't played this position for Germany yet. I hope Müller will start and Klose will be the super sub.

Still a class attacking outfit but they will lack that edge Reus brings to beat top teams. I already thought that injury to Gundogan and fitness doubts of Schweini and Khedira will cost them the chance to win the cup but now I think they will struggle to overcome the other contenders

Not sure though. in 2010, tons of German players gone down to injury, but other players we did not know much about stepped up like Khedira and Muller. if Schweini and Khedira cant be fit enough + Reus out, i think players like Kramer and Draxler will step up.

Archived