The Socceroos Thread

William Hall

don't you think it's picking the players based on quality as well, the farewell of a generation of players etc.? We had this with Belgium as well years ago, and we're back once again so who knows.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Birighitti, Josh Kennedy, Tom Rogic and Luke Wilkshire miss out. The full squad is:

Oliver BOZANIC FC Luzern, SWITZERLAND

Mark BRESCIANO Al Gharafa, QATAR

Tim CAHILL New York Red Bulls, USA

Jason DAVIDSON SC Heracles Almelo, NETHERLANDS

Ivan FRANJIC Brisbane Roar, AUSTRALIA

Eugene GALEKOVIC Adelaide United, AUSTRALIA

Ben HALLORAN Fortuna Dusseldorf, GERMANY

James HOLLAND FK Austria Vienna, AUSTRIA

Mile JEDINAK Crystal Palace FC, ENGLAND

Mitchell LANGERAK B.V. Borussia 09 Dortmund, GERMANY

Mathew LECKIE FSV Frankfurt 1899, GERMANY

Massimo LUONGO Swindon Town FC, ENGLAND

Ryan McGOWAN Shandong Luneng Taishan FC, CHINA

Matt McKAY Brisbane Roar, AUSTRALIA

Mark MILLIGAN Melbourne Victory, AUSTRALIA

Tommy OAR FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS

Mat RYAN Club Brugge KV, BELGIUM

Matthew SPIRANOVIC Western Sydney Wanderers, AUSTRALIA

Adam TAGGART Newcastle Jets, AUSTRALIA

James TROISI Melbourne Victory, AUSTRALIA

Dario VIDOSIC FC Sion, SWITZERLAND

Alex WILKINSON Jeonbuk Hyundai, KOREA REPUBLIC

Bailey WRIGHT Preston North End FC, ENGLAND

Interesting list. If Rogic is injured, it's understandable that he's out, but I wasn't expecting Kennedy and Wilkshire to miss out. Looks like a bit of long term thinking.

Played against Tommy Oar in schoolboys :cool: now he's off to a world cup.

Wilkshire would have been one of my first picked tbh. Experienced, playing in good league. Better defensively than Franjic who has played wing and DM most of the season.

Kennedy is surprising as well. Would have definitely had him ahead of Taggart, who will offer nothing against the defences of Chile, Spain and Holland.

No confidence tbh.

9 central midfielders is far too many. I don't have faith in any of the defenders besides Spiranovic but the opponents we're playing will make it tough, Davidson did impress me against South Africa though.

We should have had Wilkshere and Neill just for the experience tbh (and that's coming from a Neill critic)

I did. It was a solid performance, Australia defended well for the majority of the match and the Wilkinson/Spiranovic centre back partnership looked decent. The only goal Croatia scored, through Jelavic was a bit lucky and we didn't deserve to concede. In midfield we also looked reasonably decent although Dario Vidosic didn't offer much out right. Oar looked competent in the number 10 role but I'd still play him out left as it looks like crosses into Cahill are our only goal threat, we offered nothing going forward.

I've taken a bit of hope, although I don't think Croatia we're giving a 100% they still played a strong side containing the likes of Modric and Kovacic for the first 60 and Rakitic and Mandzukic for the final 30. I was expecting it to be a comfortable Croatian victory but it wasn't so it gives me hope that we'll put up a fight.

Yes, if only they had superstar Tom Rogic, they'd have won easily.

Scotland's invite lost in the mail, again?

No idea how Halloran is in the squad, while Oar was useless. If our defence was Championship standard we would have come away with a point.

Seven Croats in Aussie team so hard not to like them. Last night against Chile I was somehow neutral but in next matches I'm supporting both teams in this group. Hopefully much better football to be seen, regardless of the end results.

• SI Staff
I don't rate Milligan highly, but then I looked at the back up options. The cupboard is a little bare...

I'd imagine Troisi or Holland will come into the side, right?

Dutch media reporting it'll be Holland :D

no, but when he picked up another knee injury in late may in a friendly, that was the time to take wilkshire, even if this is just an unrelated injury

Wilkshire's attitude problems don't justify inclusion, irrelevant of the problems with Franjic. And I think the cross for Cahill's goal rather backs up the selection decision. ;)

Archived