will every World Cup squad include a player who plays in England?

sebs

1) only italy looks dodgy I think, but giacherrini may make it. does anyone see another nation which may not?

2) this must be the first time this has ever been done? what's the most before?

last World Cup the only teams missing were Uruguay, Germany, Japan, Italy and North Korea. The first three are pretty much confirmed that they will, provided Suarez doesn't do something crazy

A list of all the teams with 0/1/2 players from the PL who may be called up. If any of these players aren't called up it obviously changes the complexion of it all.

Costa Rica - nobody (Ruiz loaned to PSV; Oviedo injured).

Switzerland - nobody (Kasami unlikely to be called up).

Ghana - nobody (Albert Adomah of Middlesbrough in the Championship the closest shout).

Russia - nobody (Pavel Pogrebnyak of Reading in the Championship the closest shout).

Iran - Ashkan Dejagah of Fulham.

Chile - Gary Medel of Cardiff.

Ecuador - Antonio Valencia of Man Utd.

Colombia - Pablo Armero of Colombia.

Italy - Emanuele Giaccherini of Sunderland.

Cameroon - Samuel Eto'o of Cameroon.

Mexico - Javier Hernandez of Man Utd.

South Korea - Park Chu-Young of Arsenal; Kim Bo-Kyung of Cardiff.

Australia - Brad Jones of Liverpool; Miles Jedinak of Crystal Palace.

Bosnia & Herzegovina - Edin Dzeko of Man City; Asmir Begovic of Stoke City.

Algeria - Nabil Bentaleb of Tottenham; Adlene Geudioura of Crystal Palace.

Greece - Giorgos Karagounis of Fulham; Kostas Mitroglu of Fulham.

Japan - Shinji Kagawa of Man Utd; Maya Yoshida of Southampton.

Croatia - Dejan Lovren of Southampton; Nikica Jelavic of Hull City.

Every other team has at least 3 players from the PL called up.

Dani Osvaldo is still owned by Southampton. Would say if you can count players on loan in England (Armero) you can count those owned by English sides.

At the very least, it looks like every nation will have a player that has played in England - Sendros, Zhirkov, Ruiz, Essien all being examples from the 4 without.

Well Osvaldo and Ruiz aren't currently playing in the PL and that's what the thread title is asking.

If you want to include loanees (out) then it changes everything and I can't be arsed including them to the above list :lol:

isn't Jeffrey schlupp in the Ghana squad? I said in England, not the premiership?

Schlupp has made one appearance for Ghana and it was back in 2011. If he is in the current WC squad then I am unaware, but he hasn't been near the team recently.

Downie - There's 3 Championship players in the Ghanaian squad, one of them has just been promoted. Not sure if he will play for them though.

Yeah, I was just going for PL not realising that that's not what the OP asked for. :)

Frimpong also in the 30 isn't he? obviously not on the books of anyone at the moment but would still count him.

Doesn't look like it unfortunately.

Ruiz and Campbell made the provisional Costa Rica squad but identified as being from the clubs they are at loan to. :D

Doesn't look like it unfortunately.

Ruiz and Campbell made the provisional Costa Rica squad but identified as being from the clubs they are at loan to. :D

Players are always identified with their current clubs, not with the clubs that have their permanent contracts.

Robinho in 2010 counted as a Santos player, for example, as he was playing on loan at Santos at the time.

Archived