The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

no matter the opinion on Saha's recent pathetic efforts it's not the game to chuck smudger into? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, probably not. i'd put him in for the Reading replay though

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

And to whoever was having a go at Ronaldos distribution yesterday saying Ole got no service he had a great chance about 6 yards out that came from a fantastic cross from Ronaldo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, but that cross took a MASSIVE bobble. literally went from on the ground to hitting halfway up Ole's shin.

sort it out groundsman icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't a bobble, the defender who was right next to Ole got a touch on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

god, i must have been really drunk saturday night then. point still stands anyway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

it is also possible that ole just had a bad game and there's no need to look for any other reason behind it other than that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that too. no-one has said 'Ole's legs have gone' after any other game he's played this season iirc, deserves a few more chances before being pensioned off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

it is also possible that ole just had a bad game and there's no need to look for any other reason behind it other than that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that too. no-one has said 'Ole's legs have gone' after any other game he's played this season iirc, deserves a few more chances before being pensioned off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to get a bit more hate thrown at me, goals aside (and he's shown he's not lost that knack), i've not thought his contribution to all round play has been up to scratch more often than not this season. I think he still has a part to play from the bench, but i'm not sure he's up to starting any more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

And to whoever was having a go at Ronaldos distribution yesterday saying Ole got no service he had a great chance about 6 yards out that came from a fantastic cross from Ronaldo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, but that cross took a MASSIVE bobble. literally went from on the ground to hitting halfway up Ole's shin.

sort it out groundsman icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't a bobble, the defender who was right next to Ole got a touch on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sure? I saw a bobble as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Is anyone actually thinking of going to this treaty of rome thing? £17 a pop I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

id love to if only to see becks at ot one last time (assuming we dont get real in later rounds) but i wont be able to take the time off work icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate he's gone, get over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

And Becks can rot.

Rot might be harsh but I don't like him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Boss building for the future

Sir Alex Ferguson is looked forward to the next six or seven years at United, just as he is the next 90 minutes of the club's Champions League campaign.

At his pre-match press conference in France, the boss talked about his plans for the future and the building work which is beginning to pay dividends, both domestically and in Europe.

"What we've tried to do is reconstruct a team that we knew was getting older," he said.

"But we didn't build the present team (just) to win the European Cup. The main issue is to be successful in our own country."

The current crop have already won the Carling Cup, in 2006 - and as he did in '96, Sir Alex is trusting fresh talent as he pursues bigger targets this term and beyond.

"It's difficult to say how long players like Giggs and Scholes and Neville can play at the very top - I think that these are great moments for them certainly," said Sir Alex, ever-mindful of the part his long-serving trio are playing this season.

"But the younger players who've developed at the club, that's where the future is certainly - players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, O'Shea and Park.

"They're all good ages. They can stay together and grow as a team for the next six or seven years. That's what we expect and we hope our calculations are right.

"In that six-, seven-year period we have a great chance of winning things. Hopefully the European Cup is one of them." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richardson cruelly omitted there, wp Fergie.

Larsson wasn't marked if he passes early. only by the time he's been forced wide and has clearly made his mind up is Larsson marked.

frankly i'd query the 'has the ability to score from there' part too, he's possibly the worst striker i've ever seen when clean through on goal with time to think and i had no confidence whatsoever in him tucking that away, especially on his right foot.

i stand by everything i've said about him. lazy, moody, mentally fragile, needs a slap. he's a passenger atm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big Ron lives. \o/

Sorry, just catching up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Rot might be harsh but I don't like him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Boss building for the future

Sir Alex Ferguson is looked forward to the next six or seven years at United, just as he is the next 90 minutes of the club's Champions League campaign.

At his pre-match press conference in France, the boss talked about his plans for the future and the building work which is beginning to pay dividends, both domestically and in Europe.

"What we've tried to do is reconstruct a team that we knew was getting older," he said.

"But we didn't build the present team (just) to win the European Cup. The main issue is to be successful in our own country."

The current crop have already won the Carling Cup, in 2006 - and as he did in '96, Sir Alex is trusting fresh talent as he pursues bigger targets this term and beyond.

"It's difficult to say how long players like Giggs and Scholes and Neville can play at the very top - I think that these are great moments for them certainly," said Sir Alex, ever-mindful of the part his long-serving trio are playing this season.

"But the younger players who've developed at the club, that's where the future is certainly - players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, O'Shea and Park.

"They're all good ages. They can stay together and grow as a team for the next six or seven years. That's what we expect and we hope our calculations are right.

"In that six-, seven-year period we have a great chance of winning things. Hopefully the European Cup is one of them." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richardson cruelly omitted there, wp Fergie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everybody cheer \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United's hopes of keeping Henrik Larsson to the end of the season appear doomed to failure after the Swedish striker strongly indicated he could not be persuaded into staying longer. As Larsson prepared for the game here against Lille for his first Champions League tie since winning the final in Paris last season with Barcelona, he said his intention was to return to Helsingborgs when his loan deal expires on March 12.

"I am not saying that I am not flattered or grateful to get the opportunity to extend my stay but there are other things I need to think about," he said, citing family reasons and a sense of duty to Helsingborgs. "The Swedish season starts at the end of March and I need to get back to that. I will stay only until March 12."

Unless Larsson can be persuaded otherwise his only involvement for United in their attempt to re-establish themselves as European football's top club will come tonight against Lille, followed by the return leg on March 7, theoretically his farewell match at Old Trafford. Although Larsson is clearly relishing his time under Sir Alex Ferguson, he says the travel is getting him down and he wants to be back with his family. "I am going back and forward and it's not an ideal situation."

United intend to do everything possible to change his mind but it is noticeable, too, that Ferguson seems increasingly resigned to losing the 35-year-old. When Ferguson was asked about Alan Smith's inability to break into the team he remarked that the former Leeds player would be more prominently involved "when", rather than if, Larsson leaves.

Behind the scenes Ferguson is trying his utmost to persuade Larsson that he can play a significant part in what promises to be a season of rich reward. United have been encouraged by the noises emanating from Helsingborgs, who have said they will consider extending Larsson's loan if they receive a suitable fee. Yet the player insists the decision will not be a financial one. "This is a great adventure for me," he said. "I arrived in January and I'm going home in March to play in Sweden. It suits me perfectly."

Larsson described himself as "happy and surprised" he had started the majority of matches and he made a point of thanking the club for doing everything possible to help him acclimatise to life in Manchester. "I came here to be available, to make the best of the opportunity."

The admiration is mutual and Ferguson would be disappointed to lose such a formidable player. While Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo have struggled at times in Europe, certainly in terms of scoring goals, some of the more memorable performances of Larsson's career have been reserved for the Champions League, most notably when his introduction as substitute turned last season's final against Arsenal.

"To become a great team you need to win trophies," Larsson said when asked about United's chances of glory. "When I look at this squad, they have a lot of talent. They have players who have been there and done it. Then there are the younger guys who really want to make their mark by winning trophies. They have had some great teams before but only the future will tell if the current side can truly be thought of a great team."

Ferguson feels Larsson has improved the other forwards at the club. "He has made a big impact already," Ferguson said. "I'm sure that since he has arrived players like Wayne Rooney and Luis Saha must have been looking at Henrik in terms of his movement and his awareness of space and they will have been watching his finishing in our training sessions. The bonus for us is if he takes us into the later stages of everything we're challenging for. He's been fantastic for us, his professionalism, his attitude, everything he's done has been excellent."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take his passport Fergie icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigBrother:

Larsson is good, but he seems to be a stop-gap signing and he'll stay till the end of the season max.

Man U need some new blood up front IMO, and should be going for a Torres or Villa in the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larsson was always a stop gap signing and was never being talked about past this season. He is 35 years old and has been brought in to help us finish the season on a high.

And whoever thinks we are bringing in a Torres or a Villa is dreaming. The simple fact is someone like Hargreaves is top priority and anyone who thinks the days of us being able to afford two top players in one summer are deluding themselves, we are skint.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Yeah right lads, Mika having anything but utter contempt for a man thats not only played for, but CAPTAINED England. Pull the other one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rumbled icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Yeah right lads, Mika having anything but utter contempt for a man thats not only played for, but CAPTAINED England. Pull the other one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rumbled icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigBrother:

Larsson is good, but he seems to be a stop-gap signing and he'll stay till the end of the season max.

Man U need some new blood up front IMO, and should be going for a Torres or Villa in the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larsson was always a stop gap signing and was never being talked about past this season. He is 35 years old and has been brought in to help us finish the season on a high.

And whoever thinks we are bringing in a Torres or a Villa is dreaming. The simple fact is someone like Hargreaves is top priority and anyone who thinks the days of us being able to afford two top players in one summer are deluding themselves, we are skint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going home in March according to the BBC this morning.

The end of season ‘Mika’ scenario. 4-5-1 tonight. Rooney does his knee ligaments. 0-1, only a point at Fulham, win against Reading but 0-3 against the Scouse, Lille lose 2-1 at OT with a last minute offside goal, league form continues to stutter, FA Cup defeat on penalties against City in the semi, more dropped points at home, Robbie Fowler consigns us to a league defeat at the boo camp and a 4-0 hammering on the Wednesday at Stamford bridge confirms their title. West Ham then beat us to stay up. Joey Barton slaps in the winner in the Cup Final and Gerrard’s double against Chelsea makes it 6 times for the scouse.

The other version Lille dispatched. Wins at Fulham and Liverpool see us 12 pts clear. League form sparkling. Chelsea just about keeping up. Arsenal hammered in the FA Cup semi. Real Madrid beaten (Ruud misses penalty). 4-0 at the Boo Camp seals the title, with a dead rubber at the Bridge to celebrate this time at Stamford Bridge. The reserves relegate West Ham, a 2-0 half time deficit is turned around at Wembley as Citeh’s 1st trophy for 31 years is snatched away bluuuuuue moon, you started singing too soon…. Athens, scousers, sccchhhhhhhhhooooooooooollllllllllllleeeeeeeeesssssssssss!!!!, 3-0 we won it 3 tiiiiiiiiiimes

And we never even thought about keeping Larsson past the end of this season.

But we are, some of us, desperate to keep Larsson until the end of the season because unless Saha doesn't hit top form soon we are screwed.

Not to mention the injury worries. Will be back to pre-december where we were praying that Rooney and Saha don't get injured.

The other version Lille dispatched. Wins at Fulham and Liverpool see us 12 pts clear. League form sparkling. Chelsea just about keeping up. Arsenal hammered in the FA Cup semi. Real Madrid beaten (Ruud misses penalty). 4-0 at the Boo Camp seals the title, with a dead rubber at the Bridge to celebrate this time at Stamford Bridge. The reserves relegate West Ham, a 2-0 half time deficit is turned around at Wembley as Citeh’s 1st trophy for 31 years is snatched away bluuuuuue moon, you started singing too soon…. Athens, scousers, sccchhhhhhhhhooooooooooollllllllllllleeeeeeeeesssssssssss!!!!, 3-0 we won it 3 tiiiiiiiiiimes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think i just orgasmed :*)

The end of season ‘Mika’ scenario. 4-5-1 tonight. Rooney does his knee ligaments. 0-1, only a point at Fulham, win against Reading but 0-3 against the Scouse, Lille lose 2-1 at OT with a last minute offside goal, league form continues to stutter, FA Cup defeat on penalties against City in the semi, more dropped points at home, Robbie Fowler consigns us to a league defeat at the boo camp and a 4-0 hammering on the Wednesday at Stamford bridge confirms their title. West Ham then beat us to stay up. Joey Barton slaps in the winner in the Cup Final and Gerrard’s double against Chelsea makes it 6 times for the scouse.

The other version Lille dispatched. Wins at Fulham and Liverpool see us 12 pts clear. League form sparkling. Chelsea just about keeping up. Arsenal hammered in the FA Cup semi. Real Madrid beaten (Ruud misses penalty). 4-0 at the Boo Camp seals the title, with a dead rubber at the Bridge to celebrate this time at Stamford Bridge. The reserves relegate West Ham, a 2-0 half time deficit is turned around at Wembley as Citeh’s 1st trophy for 31 years is snatched away bluuuuuue moon, you started singing too soon…. Athens, scousers, sccchhhhhhhhhooooooooooollllllllllllleeeeeeeeesssssssssss!!!!, 3-0 we won it 3 tiiiiiiiiiimes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How will Fowler be consigning us to defeat at the boo camp? He gonna bea special guest referee?

Archived