The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is only a half-decent move if we instead spend decent money on strengthening in other areas. if this is the sum total of our january business, it'll be an utter joke, although i suppose even the most diehard 'wait and see' type will surely have to realise just what sh*t the glazers have plunged us into.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Fish:

Some of you are moaning bastards.

United top of the league </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair point, but we all know it won't last

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">signing a quality player on loan to help you get cover. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is he still 'quality enough' to cut it in the Prem? i'd like to think so, but even then, by the time he arrives in January we should be ok for cover.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Probably gonna spend £15m in January. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahahahahaha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

I hope he signed because Fergie has made enquires about Huntelaar or Torres and got firm only in the summer. He realises we need some more fire power and is willing to wait to get the man he wants.

But in truth we are getting no one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

defoe ftw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

I hope he signed because Fergie has made enquires about Huntelaar or Torres and got firm only in the summer. He realises we need some more fire power and is willing to wait to get the man he wants.

But in truth we are getting no one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

defoe ftw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just no, darren bent > * > defoe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Henrik happy with United move

Henrik Larsson admits it will be 'fun' to play for Manchester United after agreeing a loan move to Old Trafford.

United have struck a deal with Helsingborgs for the striker to join on a three-month loan when the transfer window reopens in January.

The former Sweden international admits United have tried to sign him before and he is looking forward to the prospect of playing for the Premiership leaders.

"Alex Ferguson called me last night and greeted me to Manchester United," Larsson told a press conference.

"We spoke a little about a match and how it looked like with Christmas and the New Year.

"They have been after me before - after the first or second season with Celtic. It feels nice to come and play for such a big club.

"I probably won't play every match from the start, but for me it feels like a very fun thing to contribute at such a late stage in my career. My family are okay with it."

Ferguson moved for Larsson due to a current lack of options up front, but the ex-Barcelona forward is expecting to provide cover for Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha.

"I know the players," he added. "They are really good players. I have played against many of them, so it's not a new thing. I hope the situation will be easier, knowing the faces and names.

"I will go over there to play as much as possible - but I have no idea of how Ferguson wants to use me.

"We will see how much playing time there will be. Am I a back-up? Yes, at the beginning. Then you will see what I can contribute and how things are going.

"We have not discussed a jersey number at all. We will see what it will be."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice for a bloke to come in and know he is back but at 35 still have that drive to think he can force himself into a first team spot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

this is only a half-decent move if we instead spend decent money on strengthening in other areas. if this is the sum total of our january business, it'll be an utter joke, although i suppose even the most diehard 'wait and see' type will surely have to realise just what sh*t the glazers have plunged us into. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldnt agree more. If the signing is one that is there to help us up front while allowing us to buy for other positions in January then it is a very good move.

Sadly it could well be our only signing like you say with more "Oh we want Hargreaves but we havent even made a bid" stuff to buy over the people daft enough to swallow that kind of tripe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

COME WAN JERMAIN :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you dare try and claim that wasn't an 'I <3 Jenas' post

When was the last time we actually loaned a player in to use in the first team?

The way I see it is that he is better than nothing & he is proven class even if he is getting on a bit. A slow Larsson > an injured Saha.

Blatantly not getting a striker in January now icon_biggrin.gif

I was going to come in and say that in the wake of the Larsson signing we probably won't be keeping Rossi at the club after his return from Newcastle (I figured another loan was on the cards), but after he does return and sticks around, Ole will be back soon enough, but now I'm thinking that its actually Smithy who's going to be sacrificed. Any number of clubs would be willing to take a chance on him either on loan or at a cut price £3mill or so I'm guessing. He's not going to get the regular games needed to rehabilitate himself properly to the standards we need him to be at, even with the number of games over the next month, otherwise Fergie would have thrown him into a game like Everton, special recovery programme or not.

And by the way, what the heck is everyone moaning about? I don't give a **** if Larsson is 33, he's a proven international class finisher & a very intelligent forward with the highest standards of professionalism, he's going to be fully fit and ready to play for us from day-1 if we need him to be and in all honesty I'd feel more assured with him on the bench than Rossi (just from an experience standpoint) or Smith (on the basis that he needs the rhythm of regular games to make an impact rather than off the bench) if we needed to change a game.

Does anyone not see the sense in actually not going after a permanent forward line signing in January, even if it is only for 3 months?

1. His qualities, as noted above speak for themselves.

2. He's as capable as Ole at being an effective backup/starting alternative. (Or would any of you prefer Giggs was used up there more often?)

3. Rossi either heads back out on loan with someone who's going to use him or gets more involved with the first team - either way we get a benefit.

4. Smith, after Larsson's 3 month spell is up, may actually be ready physically to cope with the demands we need him to meet in the last 3 and a bit months of the season, at which point, regardless of his being "healed" months ago, the trauma of his injury should have well and truly passed - if it hasn't his future will be much clearer. A January 3 month loan in the Championship (a promotion/playoff chaser ideally) wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

5. As far as I can tell neither Defoe or Bent are seen by anyone here as being useful to the squad on the beyond the basis that they'd be just another body and that neither are going to dislodge Rooney or Saha in the short-medium term, and if either have England ambitions, sitting on the bench with us is a no-no. Thus spending money on them makes little to no sense.

Similarly, our primary continental targets are reportedly Torres & Huntelaar, who on the basis of potential quality could usurp our main finisher (Saha) in the medium and longer term. The former we're going to get slapped in the face with a stupidly big fee for despite his potential vs. form for Atletico, and the latter, despite his reported finishing prowess, has not been scoring this season in the same clinical way he has previously. Is it so wrong for the club to decide not to spend money on either of these players and assess them and other targets a little bit more?

6. Larsson coming in on loan means potentially 1 or 2 midfield signings if the money is there, because we really can't persist with the situation we have at the minute with O'Shea, Richardson, and as funny as it was the other night, Wes even being used there. Fletch and Park I'm happy to have as deputies for our main quartet, but not the others if we are to sustain this challenge for as long as possible. Now I doubt it'll be Hargreaves. His injury and lack of fitness in January, coupled with Bayern needing him back in the middle of the park as much as we do rules that out for me. As to who it could be, I don't know.

Anyway, stop getting down about Larsson, as far as short term signings go we could do a lot worse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

COME WAN JERMAIN :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you dare try and claim that wasn't an 'I <3 Jenas' post </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Boss: Larsson is a great deal

Sir Alex Ferguson says the signing of Henrik Larsson on loan is a "terrific boost" to the club.

The Reds have agreed a temporary deal for the 35-year-old's services with Swedish club Helsingborgs. He will be able to play as of 1 January, with the deal running until 12 March. Sir Alex has ruled out extending the deal as Helsingborgs resume their season in the middle of March, but he described it as "a terrific bit of business for us".

"It's a real boost," declared the United boss. "Henrik has great pedigree and character. He also has goalscoring ability. We're very pleased. He can play anywhere along the front line, he’s an intelligent player and he can score goals."

It is an acute sense of timing by the United boss. The Reds in need of a player to boost the ranks up front, with Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha United’s only match fit forwards. Helsingborgs, Larsson’s current club, will be on their winter break until mid-March, so Sir Alex stepped in.

Larsson will fly into Manchester on the morning of the West Ham game on 17 December before training with the players that week. He will then return to Sweden for Christmas and come back to be available to play in January.

“It’s a good bit of business for us," added the boss. "He can change games and showed that against Arsenal in the Champions League final. I think he won that game for Barcelona and change things around for them.â€

United didn’t move for Larsson when he left Barcelona because, as the Reds' boss Alex pointed out, “we were under the impression he wanted to go back to Swedenâ€. But when January transfers were discussed amongst Sir Alex and his backroom team, it was decided to contact Helsingborgs coach Stuart Baxter.

“Jim Lawler our chief scout worked with Stuart in South Africa, so it was an easy contact. Jim told me that they have a winter break in Sweden and mentioned the possibility of trying to get Henrik in. So we said, ‘let’s try it’. Stuart Baxter referred us to the board, and we’ve been working on it for a month now. We’re very pleased they have agreed to let him come here.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So presumably he'll be able to go straight into the squad for the Newcastle game, handy.

personally bling im not complaining about larsson at all. its a shrewd deal and could prove to be a very good signing. provided he isnt seen as the answer. also its the timing of his move, at the start of january rather than now, that is a bit unfortunate as otherwise he could slot in right now when we are in most need of reinforcements up front.

the larsson deal in itself gets a thumbs up from me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

youre a hell of a guy gonch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if it was anyone else id consider that to be an ironic, roundabout way of calling me a ****, but i know you love me bling :**)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“It’s a good bit of business for us," added the boss. "He can change games and showed that against Arsenal in the Champions League final. I think he won that game for Barcelona and change things around for them.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bastard Ferguson- just when I thought I'd got over it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“It’s a good bit of business for us," added the boss. "He can change games and showed that against Arsenal in the Champions League final. I think he won that game for Barcelona and change things around for them.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bastard Ferguson- just when I thought I'd got over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was gonna say that. Taking a player on loan, just to get a jibe in at Wengs. The good old days aren't gone yet. icon_smile.gif

It's for 3 months, not a perma-deal. Like our title challenge, it'll be over 12/03/07...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wahey \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

You bastard Ferguson- just when I thought I'd got over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was gonna say that. Taking a player on loan, just to get a jibe in at Wengs. The good old days aren't gone yet. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe Fergie still has it after all icon_biggrin.gif

yeah so basically

another lovely indicator of the financial restrictions we're working under now... all that stuff about the unused transfer funds being rolled over to the next window icon_biggrin.gif more like being rolled up into the tw*ttish Americans pockets

having said that, Larsson is fffb. And I'm actually really looking forward to him playing for us now provided it all goes through. Rossi may well (sadly) be out on loan again. And for now we just cannot rely on Smith even for the start of 2007 imo. It's a good quality addition to the squad.

As long as its not the only thing happenin in Jan... PLEASE say this means we've got money to focus on midfield :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

oh no, our last league game before the 12/3/07 is at anfield

it cant end there icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Now the news has sunk in I'm quite happy, I've always liked Larsson and it'll be great to see him in a United shirt if nothing else.

As for the effect on the team it won't do any harm so it gets the thumbs up from me icon14.gif

An mon Rossi not being loaned out again please.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fergie on injuries

Friday, December 1, 2006

"Everyone is fit. Nemanja's jaw has been a little bit tender but he'll be okay for Saturday. Rio trained on Friday morning and came through the session fine." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news, we'll need them for the next few games.

Archived