The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

I'd be pleased if we signed Hargreaves but I am one of those who've always rated him. I'd also be pleased that we're signing British players. We're the only one from Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool that are maintaining a British base to our squad, something that I feel is part of the Man Utd ideal.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

Senna and Hargreaves are completely different players. Senna is more in the Makalele mould while Hargreaves is box-to-box. Putting a leash on him and asking him to sit alongside Carrick would be wasting him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole point is that Hargreaves wouldn't need to sit, as Carrick does that. They'd basically be the opposite of Keane and Scholes in the later years. Carrick would be the more creative player, but from deep, whereas Hargreaves would be the more destructive player, but with licence to get all over the pitch to do it.

I think Carrick could easily push up a bit and actually add more to his game in doing so.

He's good enough on the ball to see and play through balls from around and outside the area as well as generally being in the latter stages of moves rather than necessarily always picking it up from the back 4 and finding a winger with a raking pass

I should really stop myself getting so giddy. OH has definately moved above Senna in my imaginery midfield pecking order, and I'm going to be very gutted when we inevitably fail to land him.

I'm sure we'd all of course still love to see Mascherano coming, if only because Mark spells Hargreaves right on an annoyingly consistent basis.

Ali, I was literally bouncing around work, then I get told it's from a magazine but then it turns out he wants to leave.

Mon Hargreaves

I <3 ebay, got the new shirt with Solskjaer 20 on the back for 30 notes

ebay>>>>*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

who spells Hargreaves wrong ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I started doing a search to see if you've ever spelt Hargreaves wrong, but then realised that searching for postings from you containing the word 'Hargreaves' probably wasn't going to work in this respect :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Ali, I was literally bouncing around work, then I get told it's from a magazine but then it turns out he wants to leave.

Mon Hargreaves

I <3 ebay, got the new shirt with Solskjaer 20 on the back for 30 notes

ebay>>>>* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was that what you wanted the money for earlier?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> OWEN HARGREAVES will sign for Manchester United today.

The England midfielder is set to be unveiled at Old Trafford after agreeing a dream £13million move.

Hargreaves, 25, got his wish after revealing United manager Alex Ferguson had made him an offer he could not refuse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">£13m Owen signs for Utd

By JOHN KAY

OWEN HARGREAVES will sign for Manchester United today.

The England midfielder is set to be unveiled at Old Trafford after agreeing a dream £13million move.

Hargreaves, 25, got his wish after revealing United manager Alex Ferguson had made him an offer he could not refuse.

And the Canadian-born star pleaded with his club to agree a deal and allow him to move to Old Trafford.

Hargreaves, who starred in last night’s 4-0 win over Greece, said: “The offer from Manchester United is fantastic.

“Particularly as an England player because you never know if such an opportunity will arise again.â€

Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich insisted they did not want to lose Hargreaves and initially demanded £17million while United only offered £12m.

But once the player signalled his intentions to leave, the two clubs thrashed out a compromise figure.

Hargreaves is the defensive midfielder Fergie has been searching for.

The United boss switched his attentions to the England star after his World Cup heroics when Hargreaves was the only one of Sven Goran Eriksson’s squad to emerge from the finals with any credit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess the paper..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">initially demanded £17million while United only offered £12m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not bad negotiating if you've got him for 13 then. Only going up 1m when I'd have expected you to go up at least 3 or 4.

13m is way too much for Hargreaves.

It really is ridiculous that, prior to the World Cup, almost every England fan disliked Hargreaves, yet paying 13m is now considered acceptable. He played well for 3/4 games but he still has limited abilities. One minute he's unbelievably awful and is completely useless and the next minute, all Man U fans are urging Fergie to sign him. He's a decent player but he's worth 8.5m tops.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wfc15:

It really is ridiculous that, prior to the World Cup, almost every England fan disliked Hargreaves, yet paying 13m is now considered acceptable. He played well for 3/4 games but he still has limited abilities. One minute he's unbelievably awful and is completely useless and the next minute, all Man U fans are urging Fergie to sign him. He's a decent player but he's worth 8.5m tops.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Played class for Bayern, alot of people have said that, people who do see him week in week out.

so stfu

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wfc15:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>when you take into account the fact that your average English fan can't manage the day-to-day minutiae of life, I'd say that Manchester United have got themselves a bargain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'm sure me and Dan had "beef" early on in my OTF posting.

or am I dreaming? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who'd have "beef" with me? Im such a loveable fella icon_frown.gif

oh and fao bbb.

whats the name of the building youre living in now? im looking to move to the quays area and were looking at quay 5 which is classed as ordsall and a few minutes from the exchange quay metro, near kfc/harry ramsdens etc. not sure what the areas like but i imagine pretty dodgy as iirc paul massey does all the security round there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

iirc some United fans on here wanted Hargreaves before the WC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me and PJ basically started the rumour mill about a Carrick/Hargreaves midfield partnership, before the world cup.

What players do you want next lads?

Archived