Stay Wider Personal Instruction

Have not been able to find the answer to this but would like clarification. If I assign this option to my full back, will this mean that when we do not have possession that he will stay out wide and if I do not select this option then he will stay more closer to the central defenders?

I'm unsure on this as well, I assume it's an 'in possession' shout like 'play wider'? That's how I apply it anyway.

I'm currently watching a full match with stay wider assigned to my left wingback and without for my right wingback (both set to attacking) but currently I cannot see any difference. Would be good if anyone could shed any light on this.

Just hover over the PI, I'm sure it says when in possession of the ball.

So naturally when you don't have the ball they will revert back to the way you have your tactic.What philosophy are you playing as this should impact what they are doing.Is it attacking? full backs will stay wide, how about ppm's? what do your full backs like to do?

When you don't have possession of the ball players naturally play narrower. The PI is an instruction for when your side are in possession of the ball.

Interesting you say that because this somewhat differs to what the guide says in the PI section.

Run Wide with ball

This is in the Possession column.

Both of these are in the movement column.

Stay Wider

Stay wider encourages players primarily those in wider areas of the pitch to stay as close to the touchline as possible in a bid to stretch the game over the full width of the playing surface.

Sit Narrower

Sit narrower is designed to set the team up to play in the central areas of the pitch either to exploit a weakness in the opposition or to consolidate defensively in a bid to keep the opposing threats on the periphery.

So if 'Stay Wider' is the opposite to 'Sit Narrower' how can this be an instruction for when we have possession when it has a statement to 'consolidate defensively' if we sit narrow. Both of these options are in the 'Movement' section.

Then we have the 'Run Wide with Ball' option but that clearly states it's a possession based instruction. But this seems to be identical to the Stay Wider instruction!

The guide certainly makes it somewhat confusing to say the least.

Interesting you say that because this somewhat differs to what the guide says in the PI section.

Run Wide with ball

This is in the Possession column.

Both of these are in the movement column.

Stay Wider

Stay wider encourages players primarily those in wider areas of the pitch to stay as close to the touchline as possible in a bid to stretch the game over the full width of the playing surface.

Sit Narrower

Sit narrower is designed to set the team up to play in the central areas of the pitch either to exploit a weakness in the opposition or to consolidate defensively in a bid to keep the opposing threats on the periphery.

So if 'Stay Wider' is the opposite to 'Sit Narrower' how can this be an instruction for when we have possession when it has a statement to 'consolidate defensively' if we sit narrow. Both of these options are in the 'Movement' section.

Then we have the 'Run Wide with Ball' option but that clearly states it's a possession based instruction. But this seems to be identical to the Stay Wider instruction!

The guide certainly makes it somewhat confusing to say the least.

Stay wider and run wide with the ball are not the same thing at all. Your player will stay wide when your side has possession even if the player doesn't have the ball. Run wide with the ball only works when that player has the ball. So you might use stay wider PI when you want someone to be a wide passing outlet or to find more space. If you want to stretch the opposition when a specific player has the ball and encourage him to drive wide then you'd use the run wide with the ball instruction.

Sit Narrower

When you lose possession teams naturally go narrower, but if the players are already narrow to begin with then when possession is lost you should be more solid and compact and harder to break down due to not being over stretched and having big gaps between players, hence the defensive bit in bold.

When you lose possession teams naturally go narrower, but if the players are already narrow to begin with then when possession is lost you should be more solid and compact and harder to break down due to not being over stretched and having big gaps between players, hence the defensive bit in bold.

So if I select the player to stay wider, when we are defending my full back will sit more wider than if it was left at default and by the same token if I were to select him to sit narrower, then when we're defending he will naturally be more narrow than if it were left to default?

So if I select the player to stay wider, when we are defending my full back will sit more wider than if it was left at default and by the same token if I were to select him to sit narrower, then when we're defending he will naturally be more narrow than if it were left to default?

No as both are in possession shouts. When defending he would revert back to whatever the natural width is for the settings, shape used etc. It's just from an attacking point a player would be wider when your side has possession of the ball or narrower if you have possession of the ball depending on which shout you used.

No as both are in possession shouts. When defending he would revert back to whatever the natural width is for the settings, shape used etc. It's just from an attacking point a player would be wider when your side has possession of the ball or narrower if you have possession of the ball depending on which shout you used.

Okay thank you Cleon I will have a dabble with it.

On a side note, I have a 442 narrow diamond shape (regista/anchor and AMCs along with b2b and MCa) and I have my team to play fluid, attacking, narrow. Now with both of my full backs I have them to run wide, stay wider, seems that when either of my full backs get the ball they are somewhat isolated with limited options. Do you think this is because my team is narrow so my 2 central midfielders are not wide enough to receive the ball as I have pushed my full backs out so wide? What would you suggest to fix that? Just that I want to play out from the back as I do successfully with my 532 and 41311 but trying to implement the same style with this 442 diamond is proving somewhat difficult.

I am amazed with that statement you haven't noticed it yourself - asking your full backs to stay wider, and you find they are isolated, you play narrow anyway - so remove play wider instruction? I don't know your precise team and instruction but it is the most logical option of all.

I am amazed with that statement you haven't noticed it yourself - asking your full backs to stay wider, and you find they are isolated, you play narrow anyway - so remove play wider instruction? I don't know your precise team and instruction but it is the most logical option of all.

I removed the 'Narrow' option, so all is fine now.

Archived