Help with PC configuration for huge database and multiple playing leagues

Hey guys,

I've seen some discussions around reasonable powered computers to play fairly large databases.

However, I haven't found in the forums nothing quite close to my expectations :lol:

The reason why is that I became quite addicted to recruiting players, and I would also like my save to mirror as close as possible a real-life-career experience.

So here it goes:

I want to have playable leagues from more than 30 countries. My current computer allows me to get a decent game speed on 7-8 playable countries.

I also want to setup additional "every player" from adjacent countries such as Ireland, North Ireland and Wales near England (no intention to play those leagues but eager to find the next Gareth Bale), or countries currently without leagues in the game such as Bosnia, Paraguay, Afghanistan and Japan.

I intend to buy a computer with the following configuration:

Processor Intel Core i5, 2.6 GHz processing speed, 8GB RAM memory, 1 TB HD, Radeon HD 8850M dedicated graphic board.

Of course I will use this computer to play more graphical games and to work in pretty complex dynamic spreadsheets (other passion besides football).

But I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of how such a machine would handle such a large ongoing save.

As a curiosity, the playable nations I picked are as follows:

Brazil, Argentina, England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Chile, Mexico, USA, Portugal, Holland, Russia, Turkey, China, South Korea, South Africa, Australia, Uruguay, Colombia, Greece, Scotland, Belgium, Israel, Ukraine, Austria, Switzerland, Serbia, Croatia, Denmark, Poland, Sweden, Romania, Norway, Czech Republic, Hungary and Iceland.

If any computer geek could give me some tips on what more is important, I would be immensely thankful - e.g. does it make a difference if it's a 3rd generation processor? Or will it be really faster to have an i7 instead of an i5? Does the operational system bear any influence on performance (i.e. Windows 7 or 8?- I personally still prefer working with 7), so on, so forth.

Cheers and thanks,

Leonidas

Alienware are overpriced crap.

As you mention a 8850m graphics card, I'm assuming you're looking at a laptop?

If you want to run a lot of leagues, you will probably want an i7 with as high a GHz as you can find and afford. FM is a processor bound game, so you will need as good as you can possibly afford if you want speed and huge amounts of players loaded. 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD will be plenty.

I currently have 33 countries with lowest possible leagues as playable.

Game is fast enough for me.

My PC is 1,5 years old already, but as it was quite powerful back then, it still gets the job done.

Main specs:

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4,5ghz

GPU: 2xGTX680 SLI (one would be more than enough for this game)

RAM: 16Gb DDR 3 1600mhz (although not really needed for this game, as said above).

edit: Game is installed on SSD, i think that helps a bit too, but maybe doesn't have a huge effect.

The game is still a 32bit application so less than half of the 8GB of RAM will be utilised for it. As posted above, get the best processor you can afford, same goes for the graphics.

Always good to get RAM though, as just because FM can only utilise less than 4GB, there's still OS, background processes, plus any other stuff (internet, etc) that will use RAM too.

Best to always just pay out once for something very good, rather than save now on something middling that won't age too well.

As it's a laptop configuration you need to pay attention to the specific model i5 that you are looking at as not all i-series cpu's are created equally, if it has a 'u' suffix then it is not designed with gaming in mind & is probably best avoided.

Heat or more specifically overheating is going to be the main problem with running a larger number of leagues on a laptop so I would also suggest doing a little research to see what spec's the manufacturer has gone for with the cooling fan(s), heatsinks & the general thermal properties of the case.

Always good to get RAM though, as just because FM can only utilise less than 4GB, there's still OS, background processes, plus any other stuff (internet, etc) that will use RAM too.

Best to always just pay out once for something very good, rather than save now on something middling that won't age too well.

Oh definitely, I wasn't (at least not intentionally) insinuating he should skimp on it, was just posting it for information :thup:

Guys,

Thanks so much for your tips!

The best I can get in Brazil for my budget (up to USD 1.5k) is an i7 with 2.4 ghz, 8 Gb memory.

Seems worse than MTM1977 configuration but I'll hope it will do it.

Not sure if having a dedicated graphic board would help (looking into a Samsung that has it or an Acer that doesn't).

Cheers and thanks so much,

Leonidas

Guys,

The best I can get in Brazil for my budget (up to USD 1.5k) is an i7 with 2.4 ghz, 8 Gb memory.

Not sure if having a dedicated graphic board would help (looking into a Samsung that has it or an Acer that doesn't).

Leonidas

For FM it'll be fine. If you want to play more graphically demanding games then a dedicated graphics card would be ideal if you can afford it, but for FM onboard will do the job okay

Guys,

Leonidas

That will do just fine. The CPU will make processing somewhat slower than for example i have, but it will be completely playable with large number of leagues.

btw, didn't notice earlier that you were looking for laptop, my PC is a desktop so not really comparable :)

Archived