Promising but Wasteful 4-1-2-1-2 (Narrow)

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers.

I started a save with Huddersfield Town, and I had a fairly successful first season where, after a slow start I pushed onwards and managed to sneak the last playoff place on the last game of the season. I went on a bit of a run where I won 13 games on the trot, and took Man City to penalties over the course of two legs (and lost!). This has probably been reported many times before, but the main issue I am suffering from is my inability to finish clear cut chances. I tend to average 55%-60% possession and I’m getting say 3-4 clear cut chances per match. It’s a case of finding where my tactics weaknesses have developed and how I can eliminate them.

Forgive me as I don’t have access to the game at the moment; but a rough view of my tactic is below:

Standard/fluid philosophy.

----------------------------------- Sweeper Keeper ----------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Back (A) ---- Central Defender (D) ---- Central Defender (D) ---- Full Back (A)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------- Half Back (D) -------------------------------------------

---------- Ball Winning Midfielder (S) ------- Box to Box Midfielder (S) ---------------

--------------------------------- Advanced Midfielder (A) ---------------------------------

------------------- Advanced Forward (A) ---- False Nine (S) ----------------------------

Team instructions:

- Push higher up.

- Higher tempo.

- Retain possessions.

- Hassle opponents.

- Get stuck in.

Just a few questions I’d like people’s opinions on really - What are people’s experiences with false nines and advanced forwards with someone in behind? How do people deal with the ai overloading the wings when playing a narrow formation? Is there a slight tweak I can use to make this tactic more effective against teams that park the bus?

I don’t generally have a problem with creating chances, but I have noticed that a lot of the chances are counted as first time shots from the corners of the penalty area. I’ve got fairly good strikers for the level I’m at (James Vaughan/Nakhi Wells/Patrick Bamford) and I’m just getting frustrated with throwing away 1-0 leads in the last few minutes.

I’ll upload some screenshots later once I get access to the game again.

Thanks.

If you are throwing away late leads it is your defensive strategy. I tend to bring on more defensive skilled players, reduce duties & roles later on, sit deeper, more compact & organised. It appears you try and press all over the pitch until late on, and I expect your team is knackered and makes an error or 2 because it is tired.

Just a few questions I’d like people’s opinions on really - What are people’s experiences with false nines and advanced forwards with someone in behind? How do people deal with the ai overloading the wings when playing a narrow formation? Is there a slight tweak I can use to make this tactic more effective against teams that park the bus?

Thanks.

Hi Keane- I use the same formation. First off, I use a TM (S)/AF (A) as my strike pairing and have no problems with it working well. I don't use a F9, so can't be of help there. As for AI overloading the wings, well, it's just going to happen with this formation, and there isn't much you can do about it except be solid in the middle, which this formation can be. You can try playing wider to get your CMs out a bit to close down fullbacks, but beyond that, accept it as a price to pay for this shape.

When teams park the bus, I will turn my DM into a support role to get him higher up, and then team instructions play wider and pass into space to encourage through balls. Your AM could also be set to have roam from position so that he will drag a defender with him, hopefully. It might also be worthwhile when they park the bus to drop the high pressing and set the d-line deeper to give you space to work with. The idea is to stretch them vertically and horizontally.

Llama is right on with the holding a lead advice. I typically, at about 75 minutes switch to a counter or defensive strategy and you'll want to change roles. Your BBM and BWM probably ought to go straight into CM roles to stop them from bouncing around the pitch, especially the BWM. Your fullbacks can go to a support duty as well. At about 80 minutes or so, I will add time wasting and slow down the tempo, and clear ball to flanks. Works most of the time.

Archived