Criteria for generating grey players?

I was wondering what influences the quality of generated grey players...

I used to think it was a mix of Club and Nation reputation, plus maybe something involving the club's facilities or recruitment level, but after having made some experiments, I'm confused.

Clubs from minor countries involved in Champions League qualifiers often get grey players who are better than the few real players in their squad... but that's sort of ok.

What confused me was the batch of grey players I got when I had a fixture clash with international football in my Rosenborg save. All the grey players that filled in for my first teamers on national duty were shockingly rubbish, much worse than the worst youth candidates I usually get.

So I tried to reload the game (2-3 days before the scheduled game, or even adding a new friendly before the other match) to see if it was just a random lot of subpar players, but it turns out the NAMES of the generated players are the same, and so are the attributes, with only marginal variations, depending on the amount of generated players (fewer players, slightly better attributes for one guy).

Even closing and reopening FM didn't make a difference... So, what's up with that? Shouldn't grey players follow the same rule of youth candidates? If it's not the case, which are the criteria for their generation?

So would creating a friendly the same day as an international game generate they GREYS?

I have seen pictures of someones celtic career on here with pics of the GREYS before and after the contract was accepted and wow some of the stats and coach ratings...

So would creating a friendly the same day as an international game generate they GREYS?

I have seen pictures of someones celtic career on here with pics of the GREYS before and after the contract was accepted and wow some of the stats and coach ratings...

Yes, if you create a friendly or have an official game, due to fixture clash bug (likely fixed in 14.3?), during an international game week and you have plenty of players away on int'l duty, the game will generate enough grey players to allow you to field a full squad for said club fixture.

Sometimes the greys are decent enough to be rotation for your club, but in the occasion I mentionend in the opening post, they were utter rubbish... Which isn't supposed to be, as that would have costed me the match, had it been a competitive one.

P.S. I tried the same with Arsenal, and the greys were decent enough, although only 1.5* or 2* PA after they signed

I have noticed that grey generated players are often the same throughout a season. For example, I often only have only 2 keepers across my entire playing squad at lower league level.

If one of them is injured or otherwise unavailable, the same grey keeper pops up every time. I think this is in fact a good thing - it is more realistic I use the same youth third option than a completely different person each time.

There are two types of Grey Players:

- Ones in Non-active leagues, these will be first team quality players for the team they have been generated for and is the games way of keeping the game competitive with smaller databases.

- Ones in active leagues, these ones are generally useless (as teams in active leagues should be buying players to keep their squad numbers up) and have an ability on par with your youth players, you may on the rare occasion get one with some potential. These players are normally just there to ensure your youth and reserve teams have enough players on match days, the game will also give you a grey (but useless) Keeper if you are down to just one keeper. The only other team these players should appear in your first team is when you cannot field enough players, however the quality will still be poor, otherwise people would just have a squad of 11 and use the free grey players for squad depth.

Quality players getting generated for you when you have international callups is a bug (that I think has been fixed).

Archived