Arsenal v Chelsea V - It's Up For Grabs Now *spoilers and CL QF 2nd Leg related drama*

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wenger warns Chelsea

Injury worries for Arsenal

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has warned Chelsea they may regret not making more of taking the lead in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final.

Chelsea led for six minutes but missed chances to extend their advantage.

"They could have taken advantage of the few minutes after they scored but the fact that we survived that period could be vital on Tuesday," he said.

"I was happy with the 1-1 draw as we were 1-0 down and we didn't create as many chances as we often do."

Wenger added: "It is important to have scored away as, with a 0-0 draw, we would qualify.

"But it's a massive game as there's a semi-final place in the Champions League at stake.

"Our tradition is to go for it and I feel that Chelsea will try and score goals too. Despite the fact it's a derby and was a draw in the first leg, it could be an open game."

Arsenal have never reached the semi-finals of the European Cup or the Champions League - the nearest they have come being three years ago when they lost to Valencia on away goals.

The winner of Tuesday's game will face either Real Madrid or Monaco in the semi-finals

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sammyboy80:

It's now we should have Pennant back, but that's yet another player Arsene lost faith in.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes hardly set the world alight at Leeds has he? Add that to the drink driving conviction and I can easily see why Arsene has his doubts about him.

I'd have no worries with Sylvain coming in at right midfield, its his best position.

I don't think being at Leeds helped him tbh, they're the worst team in the Premier League. I think his development would have been better had he got the chance to rotate with Ljungberg. He showed his worth in a brilliant display aagainst Southampton at the end of last season with that hattrick.

I agree Wiltord is the best option out right with the injuries we have, but I hope he passes the ball more than what he did last season. He lost the ball far too much. I do hope he comes back a better player though icon_smile.gif

Wicom and Ronaldinho, calm down. I was letting out steam and admittedly being a bit of a tard (because I knew we were going to lose the semi when we rested players), but it's all over now.

LATEST INJURY NEWS

Arsenal are due to be significantly exposed in defence due to the non-injury of Jens 'You looking at me?' Lehmann. Further proof lies in a statement from the temperamental (without the tempera) German, where he explained that he "will continue to produce the form that [he has] displayed so far this season."

Bryan Gunn is on standby.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scatter:

wiltord is one of the most under-rated players in the league...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your spelling of over is awful. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhino:

LATEST INJURY NEWS

Arsenal are due to be significantly exposed in defence due to the non-injury of Jens 'You looking at me?' Lehmann. Further proof lies in a statement from the temperamental (without the tempera) German, where he explained that he "will continue to produce the form that [he has] displayed so far this season."

Bryan Gunn is on standby.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant, its like having Joe Pasquale in the room icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ormondroyd:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

er, Lehmann has been fb this season rhino icon_confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

at what exactly? icon_confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

er, goalkeeping icon_confused.gif

Either that or the best defensive record in the premiership is pure conincidence.

it's great how people gain these perceptions of players which bare no relation to reality. Lehmann has been great this season, the mistakes he's made have been high profile, but then so have the mistakes Howard and Cudicini have made.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ormondroyd:

IMO it's more to do with the form of the 4 in front of him (esp. Toure) rather than Lehmann himself.

I still reckon he's the soft-spot in the Arsenal team - but he's probably a better bet than 'Rambo' Ambrosio. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could have a point had the back four been a settled unit this season, but all have missed games in the league bar Lehmann who is ever present.

The very fact that the defence is performing as well as it has been, even with different personnel, is testament to the confidence they have in Jens behind them, something that was clearly not there with an aging Seaman lasr season.

I dont know why we keep having to defend him tbh, his record this season speaks for itself.

Personally I think Lehman is the weak link in the Gunners defence, but anyways...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Wenger's task to lift Gunners

Arsene Wenger faces one of the biggest challenges of his distinguished career to lift his side for Tuesday's Champions League clash with Chelsea days after their dispiriting FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester United.

Bruised in body and spirit, their hopes of a treble ended by Paul Scholes's first-half goal for United on Saturday, Arsenal face three more huge fixtures in the space of six days.

With Chelsea closing to within four points in the battle at the top of the premier league, games against Liverpool and Newcastle United next Friday and Sunday have taken on extra importance.

However, while another domestic title would be pleasing for Wenger, his real target is the Champions League, where he is seeking to take Arsenal into the semi-finals for the first time.

Arsenal's record against Chelsea would appear to have them well-placed to advance, particularly as they hold the advantage of an away goal from the 1-1 first leg draw at Stamford Bridge.

But while Chelsea's confidence is rising on the back of a determined premier league run, Arsenal's is just beginning to show one or two hairline cracks as the pressure builds.

Wenger has lost striker Jose Reyes and midfielder Freddie Ljungberg for several games, both injured in Saturday's semi, and suddenly his resources are looking a little thin.

His decision to start with Thierry Henry on the bench backfired against United and the French striker looked a frustrated figure as he failed to make any impact after his belated introduction.

Wenger, as so often at this stage of the season, is beginning to feel the world is conspiring against him. Fixture congestion, injuries, international call-ups, all to be expected by a leading club chasing honours on three fronts, have nevertheless left the Frenchman fuming.

Conversely, Claudio Ranieri appears to be loving every minute of Chelsea's dual assault, despite the fact that he seems set to be sacked at the end of the season regardless of any success.

Depending on which Chelsea form guide one chooses to use for Tuesday's Highbury encounter, Ranieri's side are either hot favourites or have no hope.

Their away form this season is irresistable. In Europe they have won all five away games, including a 4-0 thrashing of Lazio in Rome, without conceding a goal.

Saturday's 1-0 success at Tottenham Hotspur was their 12th away win in the premier league, where they have lost only twice on their travels.

However, one of those defeats came at Highbury and that is where the form makes a rapid backflip. They have led Arsenal in their last three meetings only to concede on each occasion.

Possible teams:

Chelsea: 31-Marco Ambrosio; 2-Glen Johnson, 13-William Gallas, 26-John Terry (captain), 18-Wayne Bridge; 30-Jesper Gronkjaer, 4-Claude Makelele*, 8-Frank Lampard, 11-Damien Duff; 22-Eidur Gudjohnsen, 21-Hernan Crespo.

Arsenal: 1-Jens Lehmann, 12-Lauren, 23-Sol Campbell, 28-Kolo Toure, 3-Ashley Cole, 19-Gilberto, 4-Patrick Vieira (captain), 17-Edu*, 7-Robert Pires, 10-Dennis Bergkamp, 14-Thierry Henry.

Referee: Markus Merk (Germany).

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">* denotes players who will be suspended for one match if

cautioned (also included Chelsea's Adrian Mutu).</pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the way the press deem our FIRST (!) real loss of the season as 'showing hairline cracks'. We were downright unlucky not to win on Sat, we created more than enough chances to win it, and generally looked good, but because we marginally lose 1-0 we're 'cracking up' icon14.gif

There is one good thing with the British sports' press, they certainly make the definitions of inadequate and naivety easier to understand icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ashley Cole, Freddie Ljungberg and Jose Antonio Reyes have all been named in the squad for Tuesday night's Champions League Quarter-Final second leg at Highbury.

The first of those names was expected to miss out after hurting his knee in the opening leg two weeks ago. While the latter two suffered hand and knee injuries respectively in Saturday's FA Cup Semi-Final defeat to Manchester United at Villa Park.

But all three will be a part of the 19-man squad Arsène Wenger has named for this crucial tie. However, speaking to Monday afternoon's pre-match press conference, the manager stated he will have to assess their fitness on the day of the game before making up his mind.

"They tried to practice today but the session was very light and we don't know yet how they will respond pain-wise," said the manager.

"But they are all in the squad. I have taken 19 players and we will make a decision tomorrow morning.

"It is encouraging because the doctor told me after the game that Reyes had strained knee ligaments. It was the tackle on his knee from Scholes that provoked the pain. He has got a swollen ankle because he has torn that too. I will just have to see how he reacts to training today."

Ljungberg's injury does not affect his movement as much and there seems some possibility of patching him up.

"Freddie has broken two bones in his hand," said Wenger. "We have to see how it evolves and if he needs surgery or not.

"He can play but we'll see how he responds to two days training," said the manager. "He can play with an anesthetic in his hand because it does not stop him from moving. He looked OK today in training but we'll see how he is tomorrow."

It looks like Tuesday is decision-day in every sense.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

come one full strength line up

Theres a case for Gilberto coming in for Edu tonight, I think we've missed him in the last couple of games and Edu has been off the boil.

If Reyes is fit, dont know whether I want him or Dennis to start, Jose was sensational when he came on on Saturday, but Dennis has the experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sammyboy80:

I love the way the press deem our FIRST (!) real loss of the season as 'showing hairline cracks'. We were downright unlucky not to win on Sat, we created more than enough chances to win it, and generally looked good, but because we marginally lose 1-0 we're 'cracking up' icon14.gif

There is one good thing with the British sports' press, they certainly make the definitions of inadequate and naivety easier to understand icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says the king of over-reaction icon14.gif

I've changed my mind, I want Chelsea to win.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Theres a case for Gilberto coming in for Edu tonight, I think we've missed him in the last couple of games and Edu has been off the boil.

If Reyes is fit, dont know whether I want him or Dennis to start, Jose was sensational when he came on on Saturday, but Dennis has the experience.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Times are suggesting Gilberto will start, hopefully the break from the middle of the action has freshened him up a bit.

I think you have to go with Dennis, big match experience and all that icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

Keyser, ignore sb80, he's young, he'll learn, the greater threat is Chelsea, if they win the CL this season no other team may ever win it again icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Arsenal don't win SOMETHING this season, i'll label them the premature ejaculators of football. icon14.gif

Not bothered who goes though, my only hope is for a cracking game icon14.gif

Actually I think I'd rather Chelsea to go through if only for old Claudio, Gawd bless 'im

At least if Bertie plays instead of Edu he can't be stuck out on the right of midfield.

If there's one thing he's good at - it's harrying and making it difficult for opponent midfielders to play, and that may work for us tonight.

I think Dennis will start - and lets hope he has his 'outstanding' head on tonight. And Msr Henry needs to show why he's the best there is. It's games like this that separate the good from the great.

I think Arsenal should play Gilberto ahead of Edu, the rest should have done him good and I thought Edu was awful against Man U.

I think you have to go with Bergkamp and henry up front with Reyes on the bench just in case, if ljungberg is injured though maybe Reyes could play on the wing?

Chelsea should probably start with Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen I reckon, Crespo looks very poor.

No offence to the Arsenal fans on this borad, but i hope your team gets pasted.

My brother is an Arsenal fan and I swear he talks about Henry all the time and it's driving me mad. Of course, if he shuts up then i might cheer for you icon_smile.gif

V. surprised this thread is still on page 1 tbh - biggest match of the season in England?

Come on Chelsea - good to see the back 4 of Johnson-Terry-Gallas-Bridge likely to play - just about compensates for no CC. Like to see Jimmy and Mutu up front tonight with the Duff-Makelele-Lampard-Parker midfield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stadler:

Doesn't matter how many there have or haven't been. The fact that this is the CL would make them different games, anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and Arsenal would still be unable to beat them. 4 Arsenal vs Man Utd games this season and the Mighty Arsenal have failed to win even one of them. icon_smile.gif

3 games, only Liverpool fans count the charity shield, although with the way ManU fans have been actiing they are turning into the new Liverpool

also, premiership games were draws, which suits us fine with our massive 12 point margin, tbh I consider the Chelsea matches in the league the most important ones we've played this season.

Archived