[FM14: Football is a Business]

Ari Gold

So they say that football is a business. I'm going to take that to the extreme! Essentially, the goal is to start a career with a club and make that club as rich as possible. Trophies would be nice, but it's the club value and bank balance that reigns supreme at the end of the day.

Career Targets:

◊ Best Youth Facilities Possible (Can then develop players obtained for free and sell them for £££)

◊ Build a 75k stadium (Think of the match day £££)

◊ Build a 100k stadium that is named after me

◊ Sell 100 players for £20m+

◊ Sell 10 players for £50m+

◊ Sell 5 players for £75m+

◊ Sell 1 player for £100m

◊ Bank Balance of $1 Billion (after having built the 100k stadium)

I'll essentially aim to sell every player I can, but if I come across an absolutely transcedent striker or midfielder, I just might keep them around so they can serve as a club legend (and the person my super massive stadium will be named after). There will be no database editing etc. and I have player attributes masked so I'll have to build my own scouting network to find the younglings that'll fund my wealth. I do however have all South American players loaded and will extensively use good, known cheap players and free transfers to set me on my way.

The lucky club is Almeria in the Liga BBVA. They have just the 1 trophy in their cabinet, the Liga Adelante, so the fan base should be used to not winning trophies.

I've also just created the esteemed manager who'll be leading this glorious quest. So without any further adieu, let the money making begin!

Begin_Career.png

Just reached the end of the first transfer window. Didn't have a lot of activity as there was little funds available but I got the key man I was after as well as a decentish youngster who might rake in some profit later on.

Board Expectations

Season_Expectations_2013_14.png

Starting Finances

Finances_2013_07_18.png

1st Transfer Window Activity

Transfer_Window_Close_Sep_2013.png

The Key Signing (For £5M including future clauses)

Rodrigo_Gomez_2013_09_03.png

So with the first season now done and dusted progress has been excessively slow, but a tiny bit has been made. The good news is I managed to successfully avoid relegation! The season started brightly win 3 wins in 8 games using a Target Man tactic I used in a PSG save, but a period of 10 games followed without a win and led to some more tactic tweaking, which resulted in more losses.

Fortunately, I managed to change back to my Target Man tactic and signed a Brazilian Free Agent named Arthuro, whose height and aerial prowess steered me towards survival, and frankly, a much better point tally than I could ever have dreamed of. Below is the end of season table, as well as the great contribution of Arthuro.

League Table

Screen_Shot_2013_12_14_at_10_26_20_PM.png

Arthuro

Screen_Shot_2013_12_14_at_10_27_18_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2013_12_14_at_10_27_28_PM.png

On the financial side, little progress has been made. It's a long challenge ahead, as I first have to get myself into a better footballing position that will allow me to sign higher quality free agents and youngsters -- something that is exceedingly difficult right now. One thing I'm finding a rather large hindrance is contract negotiations. Being in Spain requires a minimum release clause, and it's often so hard to negotiate this to something this to a profitable level for the better free agents, particularly when you are also trying to negotiate wages and contract lengths.

The good news though is that I've managed to get an upgrade to my youth facilities and was able to get one decent regen in my first youth intake. He will hopefully become a 20m sale in the future, along with my prized recruit Rodrigo Gomez, who has developed okay during the season. I sorely need a good tutor for him next season though and that will be one of my main goals.

Youth Facilities On Their Way!

Screen_Shot_2013_12_14_at_10_29_25_PM.png

My Regen

Screen_Shot_2013_12_14_at_10_30_46_PM.png

Rodrigo Gomez

Screen_Shot_2013_12_14_at_10_31_50_PM.png

It is still only May 18 in my game, so I still have a chance to do some backroom and transfer stuff before the new season officially begins. I'll look to do a little bit of an improvement with my scouts and Assistant, as so far I've yet to really touch any of this. I'll post another update towards the end of June.

Okay, so a very modest profit made last season:

Screen_Shot_2013_12_14_at_11_21_39_PM.png

Time for a new season, where again I've opted to merely try and avoid the drop.

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_2_24_20_PM.png

I've done a bit of a clean out of my squad, releasing all young players with less than 3 star future potential rating and basically all players from my original squad that I didn't consider starters. I also had to sell my good keeper Ustari as he was in his last year of his contract and asking for more than 2x his wages, something the board wouldn't even allow me to offer. So I shipped him off for a tidy 2.5m and brought in Sebastian Viera on a free as well as a good young future prospect. Beyond that my main intention this window was to improve my tutor pool, so I focused primarily on signing players in positions of need with good determination ratings. Most of these players will also be starters for me, whilst a couple will be back ups.

Transfer Summary

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_24_30_PM.png

Lopez - A decent wingback tutor

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_27_33_PM.png

Ariaudo - A decent Centreback tutor and also a first team centreback option

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_27_55_PM.png

Giacomazzi - A strong tutor option and also a first team Regista/Ball Winning Midfielder

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_28_29_PM.png

Abarca - A very strong tutor option and back up first team depth

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_30_10_PM.png

Goltz - A young prospect. I like his height and aerial prowess, and hope to use Arthuro as a tutor so he can take over when my Brazilian Target Man declines or asks for too much money.

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_32_06_PM.png

Schepers - A decent winger prospect. Sadly I was unable to get a good tutor in for Gomez, so Scheper's naturally high determination should hopefully mean he progresses well without one. He was originally signed as my Left Winger but he'll serve as a bench option for now due to a nice signing I was able to make.

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_33_40_PM.png

Escudero - Free transfer left winger signing that will keep Schepers out of the team. He's great but sadly lacks the mentals that would make him a good tutor for Gomez. He'll hopefully help me avoid the drop this year and I'll look to sell him after either 6-12 months as he makes for a poor tutor and I can hopefully use future sale proceeds to buy another strong profit prospect.

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_35_33_PM.png

Bonilla - A nice young keeper prospect.

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_36_13_PM.png

Viera - My new #1. Sadly they won't let me use him as a tutor for Bonilla - not sure why but very disappointing. His good mentals mean I'll probably keep him as a keeper tutor for a bit. One 40% of the wages Ustari was so well ahead out of my keeper swap.

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_37_47_PM.png

And another big signing, Jonathan Silva. Like Gomez, I hope this Argentine will one day bring me a 20m transfer fee. Sadly though, I couldn't afford the remaining 20% stake his agent owns -- not sure how that will affects things? Also disappointing is that fact that the game won't let any of my defending tutors mentor him, so the 10 determination could be a real sticking point in his development.

Screen_Shot_2013_12_15_at_5_40_35_PM.png

Overall some solid transfer progress made. I'm very disappointed that my 2 big transfer fee prospects cannot be adequately tutored and hope this will not hurt me in the future. I will continue to look primarily to improve my first team strength with high determination players so that this won't be an issue in the future.

Looks like this idea might not last very long. Both my key wingers, and 2 of only 3 players in my team worth more than 1m have gone down injured for 2 months. As a result I've lost my first 5 games, including 3 home games against relegation rivals. With nothing at my disposal, things look very dour. If relegated then I won't continue with this experiment.

Archived