Ground changing and I can't quite understand why

To put the title into a bit more context, I'm currently playing as Shelbourne in Ireland, and our home stadium is a 6,000 capacity ground that has a pitch larger than the champions league/europa league parameters. I noticed in the club information screen it lists the Aviva Stadium as the clubs home ground for the champions league/euro cup. However, some games will be played at my home ground (Tolka Park) still and then others at Aviva Stadium. I was expecting it would be one way or the other for all games, not seemingly changing down the line.

I noticed in the qualifiers the 2nd stage and 3rd stage were played at my home stadium, against Maribor and APOEL. In the playoff tie against Steaua we used the Aviva Stadium. I don't mind too much as my gate receipts went from £100,000 to £700,000. I don't know which stadium I'll now be using in the Euro Cup/Europa League group stage (I lost to Steaua) but there's a massive disparity in the earning potential.

To be honest though I probably would have preferred to play Steaua at my original ground, the terrible pitch and a long ball tactic saw me get the better of Maribor and APOEL at home.

That would explain it then, the Maribor game was a sell out at the 6,000 capacity, but the APOEL game only had 5,600 attendance while the game against Steaua had an attendance of 34,000.

tbh an attendance of 34,000 doesn't seem right. I'll have a look at my own saves but if you do have a save shortly before the game is played it would be appreciated if you could raise this in the 'Other Issues' section of the bugs forum & upload a copy of the save for us to take a look at.

Hi Alex, I'm from over here, have done the research on and off for the loi over the years and follow the league. It's a combo factor of the capacity of Shels stadium, Shels rep & the team's playing against & competition rep for the Champions/ Europa League etc. As santy said the Maribor game was a sellout, APOEL 5,600 so there was no need to switch to the bigger capacity stadium but when you come up against vastly higher rep teams and in the 3rd place play off/ group stages etc due to the low loi rep vs the higher club/ european competition rep interest goes through the roof so the board switch the game to the alternative venue. If the board in game estimated the crowd/ interest wouldn't be bigger than capacity they wouldn't move the game, it's happened to me loads in game.

Also, you only have to look at the interest in Shamrock Rovers Europa League run a few years ago though they decided against moving to Landsdowne as they wanted to play the games in their new home ground as it met licencing requirements anyway. The attendance there of 34k would be in the realms of possibility and has happened to me in my saves over the years, also Shels themselves in real life got 24k in Landsdowne vs Deportivo in the play off round in 2004 and the FAI Cup final has gotten attendances of between 16-36k in Landsdowne since the game has been moved back there after the ground was redeveloped.

Archived