Players learning new positions

In classic FM 13 players would often "learn" a new position after being played there for a number of games. Does this still happen in FM 14?

The reason I ask is because I'm yet to see this in FM 14. I'm playing as Manchester United and I've being playing Kagawa and Januazaj as wingers for around a season and a half but neither are showing as "natural" in those positions.

Cheers!

Ah, good to know. I assume that you've had this happen in your save then tieio?

Yep, players with higher adaptability will learn faster. I often train players to play multiple positions this way in FMC. I've never had a player learn a position from scratch though... they always have to have at least uwkward to start with in that position in order to get to natural, something I hope is fixed.

tieio, this is the first I've heard of this in all my years, although I've never tried FMC mode until now. I figured new position training was absent from FMC. So, to be clear, if a guy plays enough games at an awkward position, he could become competent or accomplished? Two questions: One, do players revert back if they stop playing the "new" position? Two, knowing how long it took to retrain in full-mode, how many games on average are we talking?

tieio, this is the first I've heard of this in all my years, although I've never tried FMC mode until now. I figured new position training was absent from FMC. So, to be clear, if a guy plays enough games at an awkward position, he could become competent or accomplished? Two questions: One, do players revert back if they stop playing the "new" position? Two, knowing how long it took to retrain in full-mode, how many games on average are we talking?

Actually, they become natural after enough time. As an example, I had a new-gen who was a natural striker and was accomplished at RW so i played him at RW because I had no other options there and after about a season he was a natural RW... having discovered this I decided to try this with another player at another position, this time I had a DC who was awkward at LB, so I played him there in the pre-season and dropped him into that spot as a sub in non-important matches to try and build it up, he was a natural (yes, natural) LB after two seasons of this. I can't tell you how long since according to any information I have been given on this, the players adaptability rating has a lot to do with how fast he learns it. I am hoping Lucas will confirm this at some point though.

tieio, have you experienced any of these players regressing if you don't continue playing them in the new position? In previous FMs, if I stopped training the new position, they'd revert back to their original ability.

Not as of yet, but I use FMRTE to scout things and test stuff sometimes and they are natural, so they are a 20 at that position, that cannot regress.

• Administrators

They shouldn't revert back to their former positions, unless they were accomplished and you then began playing them elsewhere. The only case I can think of where positions would be "lost" would be if you trained an outfield player as a natural goalkeeper, the game treats GK's separately due to their separate attributes they have. Hope that makes sense.

Thought i'd post in here instead of starting up another thread. Is there any way to train players on FMC ? Am thinking of starting a save on FMC with Liverpool as on the full version it has took me ages just to get to season 3 with Shakhtar, for example i want to use Sturridge out wide sometimes, but as he has 10 for crossing is there anyway i can get him to improve it ? thanks

• Administrators

Play them in that position, the individual training will bias the player roles that they are being used in the tactic screen so crossing should improve a bit over time (and he should learn the new position as well)

Play them in that position, the individual training will bias the player roles that they are being used in the tactic screen so crossing should improve a bit over time (and he should learn the new position as well)

Ah ok thanks very much for the quick response, i want to have a save with so many clubs Liverpool (club i support irl) Portsmouth, Lille and an Italian team as i have only managed once in Italy way back in FM 09/10, but to do that alongside my current save am going to have to use FMC due to work, family plus watching the likes of Football, NFL, UFC.

Not enough hours in the day :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Lucas, one question. I am playing a Rangers save on fm 14. 14.1.3, currently in 2017 ingame and enjoying it quite a bit, but i realized after a while quite a few of my players stopped improving, albeit coaches saying they are only close to their full potential. One thing could be that my training facilities got downgraded and haven't been upgraded by the board, strangely enough, a good number of my players are learning ( some have already gone and learnt) positions i did not ask them to. Jordan Lussey, Ton Thorpe, John Fleck, Mathhew Briggs, Nicky Law are all competent and awkward in surrounding positions ( ie, AMC and AML, for a left footed MC , ML, AML for a left footed DL , etc)

I pretty much didn't pay too much attention to training through the last two seasons, as i usually set training focuses manually at beginning of the season , and leave it as is till the start of a new season. But i sure did not ask any of those player to learn the new positions.

Why is this happening ?

Hoping for a prompt response, cheers.

• Administrators

If you have played them in a new position they will start learning it, however they can only learn 1 at a time. Have you got any examples where you feel they should have stopped learning a "new position"? If you go to their player information screen, you see how many games they have played in a certain position, so this will be a little indicator if they are learning a new position. I can't give much more info without some saves to look at I'm afraid.

it's not about stopping per se,it's about learning positions that i (the manager) have not instructed them to. But it looks like some have been playing in different positions for their U21 and national sides.

eg.i have a left back, who can only ply LB when i joined. Two years on, he can now play wb and LM, of which i do not remember asking him to train in ?or do certain players of a certain type just endeavour to learn other positions similar to theirs ?

• 2 weeks later...
If you set up the roles for each player in the player instruction, will that also influence their training to that role? If not, then what role are subs or not selected players trained as?

From what I have seen so far, and I may be wrong, but it seems like players get trained for what the team uses. As an example, I use 2 strikers, one advanced forward and one false nine, from what I have seen of my players development, they are trained to be one of those two because it is what the team uses. I say this only because no matter what youth players I pick up they always seem to become the best at those roles and that isn't a coincidence to me, but it just might be. I am uncertain if setting the roles for each player in player instructions has any affect? I don't use them, but it couldn't hurt.

They shouldn't revert back to their former positions, unless they were accomplished and you then began playing them elsewhere. The only case I can think of where positions would be "lost" would be if you trained an outfield player as a natural goalkeeper, the game treats GK's separately due to their separate attributes they have. Hope that makes sense.

Just happened, had a player who played DR, I trained him to play DL as well, he started as accomplished and I got him to natural after LOTS of games. I stopped using him at DL and he has reverted back to only accomplished at DL, something that should not be possible, but it happened just now. Need a save?

Archived