Regens are too good. Making the game too easy

This is because the Scouts get their ratings for PA when they scout a player 100% accurate and right. Which should not be the case and reflect real life.

Not all scouts even in big clubs get all their feedbacks to managers correct. SI has to include feedback accuracy for scouts. A better scout gets 75% of his predicted feedback correct etc.

So let's say there's a guy who has PA 200. But maybe your scout reports him back to you as 3 stars. And you trust his judgement and do not make a move for him and many years down the road he becomes a superstar for another AI club.

It's a very simple solution. It makes the game harder as we have to make our own judgements regarding youngsters. Now, we know the scout reports are 100% accurate and just swoop in once we see 5 stars.

This is all nonsense.

The Scouts don't even get to see a player's PA. They create a PPA (perceived potential ability) value based on the player's age, current ability levels and a number of other things.

I have a theory that most of the people who claim scouts are 100% accurate are those who use other tools to judge the players first or are suffering from extreme selective memory.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest El Payaso
This is because the Scouts get their ratings for PA when they scout a player 100% accurate and right. Which should not be the case and reflect real life.

This is true. I have read lots of biographies about worlds' top players and many of them have been scouted for years by the big clubs and after that long period of scouting they have decided to make a move. In the game though it's easy to spot a talent by yourself also as many of these generated promising 15-year-olds are often almost ready for first team football even in the top leagues. They usually have some really high, matching really good players' attributes already. And they are so much willing to move at young age (even between two about the same side clubs) and not being held properly by their current club. Then just some tutoring and first-team football at young age and BOOM! It really is easy.

This is all nonsense.

The Scouts don't even get to see a player's PA. They create a PPA (perceived potential ability) value based on the player's age, current ability levels and a number of other things.

I have a theory that most of the people who claim scouts are 100% accurate are those who use other tools to judge the players first or are suffering from extreme selective memory.

I'm curious to know what others think of your comment.

I've never gotten a wrong report from a scout of the players potential. a 5 star potential player turns out to just that 100% of the time.

I've personally never seen a scout give me a 2 1/2 star for an actual -10 PA player and i miss out on him and he goes on to be a world beater.

i'll wait for others to comment. For now, i'll stick by what i said.

The scout report on a player takes into account the average CA of your team. I wouldn't take my scouts words 100%, as my team could improve/regress in the period between me scouting said player and actually signing them to my team. Of course, this probably won't apply as much to top clubs as the average CA ceiling is fairly hard to improve but it applies to lower league clubs as you can still drastically improve the average CA in the team.

I'm curious to know what others think of your comment.

I've never gotten a wrong report from a scout of the players potential. a 5 star potential player turns out to just that 100% of the time.

I've personally never seen a scout give me a 2 1/2 star for an actual -10 PA player and i miss out on him and he goes on to be a world beater.

i'll wait for others to comment. For now, i'll stick by what i said.

I've seen plenty of young 120PA players being given 5 star potential because of how good they are when they're 16/17.

The older the player gets, the more accurate the judgement will be.

This is all nonsense.

I agree with you 100% is not as easy as ppl think. Unless they manage a World Class Team.

The scout report on a player takes into account the average CA of your team. I wouldn't take my scouts words 100%, as my team could improve/regress in the period between me scouting said player and actually signing them to my team. Of course, this probably won't apply as much to top clubs as the average CA ceiling is fairly hard to improve but it applies to lower league clubs as you can still drastically improve the average CA in the team.

Yup if you play a lower league team, almost all newgens from top teams your scouts will tell you how good and wonderkid like are

I've seen plenty of young 120PA players being given 5 star potential because of how good they are when they're 16/17.

I have witnessed this many times. I have grabbed several 4-5 star players and watched them downgraded a star over a two year period. Every year it happens. Some stay at 4-4.5 but they all seem to move down.

I have 22 scouts, costs me about £50k p/w all scouting one region each, two in places like south america. All with minimum 18 judging potential. All looking for 3.5 stars. Once they find one I send my 20/20 scouts. If I find a 4 star for sale I buy him or just wait til I can. Doesnt matter if I need him or not. £10k p/w is nothing, ill just loan them out. Who needs to cheat with genie scout when you can do this and have 60% world knowledge.

In my 5th season I have 4 with 5 star potential, (one already completed his 2nd season and got top scorer, 19 and worth 50m, found this guy in south korea). Also got 3 with 4.5 and 8 with 4 stars.

Got more money than I can spend, £300m transfer budget and more stars than I can play. I'm far from good at this game so it being this easy is a bit of a letdown. None of the regens Ive found have been wanted by another club.

Im at the point where it feels like I am hoarding all the best players and all the money, only 5th season ffs. Clubs keep buying my crap 3 star players for insane amounts and paying them with installments.

I know that some stars can be misleading. I have looked at the PA with genie scout, tho I feel that thing absolutely destroys the game. But for educational purpouses its great. :)

I feel there is about a 25-30PA error margin when looking at the stars on a player scouted by a 20/20 scout. Meaning a 5 star could have a PA between 170 and 200. And a 4 star somewhere around 130-190. As Ive seen 3.5 stars have as high as 180 pa.

With this Id say buying a 4 star player is a small gamble. But one well worth it. You could end up with a decent player or a superstar.

I think this doesn't necessarily have to do with pinpoint accuracy.

It's just that the star ratings are always accurate enough so that you know you'll have a stronger team somewhere down the line (3 star players out, 4 and 5 star PPA players in). Squad development has only one direction, always: better with each season, unless you are working under severe financial or prestige constraints. This is simplifying it, but it still is such an easy mechanism that it makes you wonder why the AI (traditionally) has never worked the same.

But if it would, I'd guess more players would majorly struggle, as it would mean they wouldn't outperform many an opposition simply based on player quality alone to the same degree.

Im at the point where it feels like I am hoarding all the best players and all the money, only 5th season ffs. Clubs keep buying my crap 3 star players for insane amounts and paying them with installments.

I can only agree to this. I too have made it a habit to hoard world class youth to a point where I feel I'm somehow cheating... or working for the BBC. The problem lies not so much in my ability to do the hoarding; It lies in my ability to find the young unknowns in the first place.

I'd love if there was an option to turn attribute on scouted players into star ratings, ranging from worst to best. That way you only see a players true ability after purchase. Having star rating for scouted players also leave a big margin of error, and we - the players - get to feel all warm and fussy when we can click on our newly bought player and discover that he is as good as we had hoped for. Or, equally as exiting, that our much hyped star striker is far from what we previously had guessed from the reports and/or match-scouting, reminding us that football is also a game of uncertainty. :-)

That's how it works.

A player's age is used in the calculation for PPA.

My wording wasn't entirelly accurate, what I meant to argue is that the issue is not pinpoint accuracy (or lack thereof or whatever). But rather that every scout's report in the game will be solid enough to give you a solid enough indication whether a player is worth your while or not. Say, players rated 4 stars and up are almost always players that will strenghten your squad (in terms of PPA in the long-term, and CPA, if you'd want to call it that, in the short-term, naturally).

Whilst the match sim is obviously a little more sophisticated, as a player's CA rating is only worth this mutch (it tells little of individual traits and hidden attributes, after all, and also doesn't take your tactical approach into account), strenghtening the squad in general is/can really be just a very easy seasonal mini-game of targetting players rated highly by your scouts. It's a very linear procedure until you get sacked or hit ceilings such as prestige levels or wage budget constraints given by the country you are managing in and the club. And as the AI for some reason historically hasn't been sound enough to be given simple algorithms that would make it target players at least the same absurdly simplistic way, eventually human players will outperform many an opponent just by fielding better players who make better decisions, defend better, dribble better, finish more efficiently, etc.

But that's not true - (using top teams as an example) you will get plenty of 5 star potential players who are in fact less than 140PA, and you'll get a number of 3 star potential players who actually have 180PA+ (and these are almost always late-bloomers that require a lot of work to max out. A massive injury to my lead right back mixed with selling off some cover forced me to give a shot to a 22 year old Scottish player in his place. He was average and had squad rotation potential at best. By the time he hit 29 he was a legendary right back, without parallel).

There are some exceptions, and the case where injuries hampen progress. But going through the routine described above, not even pro-actively scouting myself (the mighty player search) but only relying on targets my scouts and agents would point me out on (also looking at individual attributes that suit my playing style), I've never gone into a new season with a lesser team in any FM save ever bar the very first few ones, when I started out with the game and still learned to play the game. It's not a question whether you go into a new season with a better team, you know it will be a much better side, in the long run anyway. Always.

Human player teams do get better in long-term saves continuously, whilst the AI doesn't necessarily keep up with that.

I never use player search, at all. Everything is done via scouting and I'm getting (mostly) realistic results from it tbh.

For every great player I land, I have three or four write-offs.

I'm wondering how many people buy the players when they are already clearly very good, rather than when they first start out when most of them look awful.

Archived