Santos - signed 2015-16 - £17.5m

eae86d21f1471bc959bc2ec43cae8c8e.png

Alberto Sanchez - signed 2018-19 - £28m

876908c2b3bbb77e4eeb853767dda972.png

Leonardo Jerez - signed 2015-16 - £4m

c0d31c15ae2806c6724a9b1b238ea876.png

Christian Cejas - signed 2014-15 - £9m

6da37f4e7882c624f397e37e3e597ea4.png

there are a few more, but it seems finding future potential stars at 4 star + and then just training them properly will see you win a lot easier. but in general, i believe regens are far too good

I dont sign any established players anymore, there is no need, these players will take years to help our club and younger players will come through, a philosophy that Liverpool board asks for. Happy to do.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's the idea tbh...

You've got really nice regens there, just see them as real players. For example: Like when unknowns come into the premier league from foreign countries, have some decent seasons and then all the games like fifa and football manager over-rate them in the next edition, dramatically pumping up their stats.

Well, the game can be really easy if your goal is just winning matches and cups. It will be even easier if you pick Liverpool.

Meanwhile, the game can be brutally hard if your goal lies somewhere else other than winning matches and cups.

For an example, choose a minor club in a minor Europe country, attempt to increase the country's standing and try to improve its domestic league, ultimately resulting other clubs within that country to get better.

I'm in my 5th season now and not seen any newgens as good as that. I spend hours searching on the respective newgen dates ( probably more time than I spend actually playing matches lol ), so not many slip through my scouting network. I always have a tutor assigned to them, facilities not an issue ( playing as man utd ), and I check on their training progress every couple of weeks.

So think I'm doing just about everything right, but not had any close to your players. Might just be a case of several world class players coming through at the same time ( as happens in real life ), and you just happened to sign the correct ones. They are amazing though.

Agree game is super easy playing for top team. You need to play with a lot of self made rules.

Common things I do to make the game interesting.

1 - Retrain my short possession oriented slow tempo team to play traditional bomb down the wings 4-4-2 for a season

2 - Retrain to play 3 at the back with a sweeper

3 - Sign only UK based players.

4 - Declare interest in low rank national job and struggle to get them into World Cup (Won the WC with Croatia but still haven't with England and i've been playing since 07)

5 - Stop signing players or offering contract extensions for 5 years, relying solely on u21 and u18 to fill in gaps.

6 - something I did in a previous FM, don't know if possible now - Loan out entire u18 team to Royal Antwerp (Man Utd affiliate club) and play one season (by adding a new player) as their manager as well. (got promoted)

One gripe I do have about regens is that they don't seem to want high wages, especially South American ones. First contract I understand they're fresh off the boat and etc but when they're established in the Argentinian XI they should be demanding 200k a week(at least one of them, I have 5 and they all slog it for 60k tops)

The question I'd raise is why do you have so much money?

I don't understand why you say regens are too good when you have to pay that much money for them.

This. Personally think the bigger problem with the game is transfer budgets being too big for top teams. Therefore too easy to buy pretty much any regen.

This is why I don't search national/club squads or use player search to find players. Rely purely on scouting and the game suddenly becomes a lot more realistic.

You've taken Enflied from the bottom league to the Championship in successive seasons since the first season. Is that realistic too? :p

Guest El Payaso

For me the problem is that these regens seem to reach their potential at really young age. Shouldn't they reach their best at the age of 26-29 instead of 18-22?

For me the problem is that these regens seem to reach their potential at really young age. Shouldn't they reach their best at the age of 26-29 instead of 18-22?

The development system needs work - the earlier you start playing them, the earlier they peak.

Agree game is super easy playing for top team. You need to play with a lot of self made rules.

Common things I do to make the game interesting.

1 - Retrain my short possession oriented slow tempo team to play traditional bomb down the wings 4-4-2 for a season

2 - Retrain to play 3 at the back with a sweeper

3 - Sign only UK based players.

4 - Declare interest in low rank national job and struggle to get them into World Cup (Won the WC with Croatia but still haven't with England and i've been playing since 07)

5 - Stop signing players or offering contract extensions for 5 years, relying solely on u21 and u18 to fill in gaps.

6 - something I did in a previous FM, don't know if possible now - Loan out entire u18 team to Royal Antwerp (Man Utd affiliate club) and play one season (by adding a new player) as their manager as well. (got promoted)

One gripe I do have about regens is that they don't seem to want high wages, especially South American ones. First contract I understand they're fresh off the boat and etc but when they're established in the Argentinian XI they should be demanding 200k a week(at least one of them, I have 5 and they all slog it for 60k tops)

Interesting approach.

Yet a bit sad if you have to resort to it in order to have fun. Normal game should be fun too.

Tbh you've gone and bought the best players around and you're at a top club. In addition to the poor AI squad building most will find long term saves very easy.

I've resorted to having a club nationality cap (eg. if German club, need 80% Germans) or using only youth intakes later in long term saves to keep it competitive, because winning the UCL so many times in a row is pretty dull. As Jayahr said above, it's sad that I need to resort to that to keep a game competitive.

My current save I've started those 'rules' and more from the start at a tier 3 club, should make it a long save.

Back on to the newgens, I prefer them as they are. Seeing as my 'rules' excludes the majority of newgens it means the AI have a huge pool of players to buy, even if they buy purely on CA/PA. I remember an older FM the newgens were pretty poor. By 10-15 seasons in, most world class players at other clubs had been developed by me, because the AI was so bad at developing them.

Guest El Payaso
The development system needs work - the earlier you start playing them, the earlier they peak.
Yeah it's funny how the game states that players' usually peak and enjoy their best years at certain age when loading and yet you see loads of these super star 18-year-olds. The other thing that annoys me in re-gens are often these illogical attributes, for example that first re-gen in this page, super technical stats otherwise but then 13 in technicue and why does a striker have 11 tackling, that isn't logical either. Also most of tohse regens seem to have unreal set pieces skills and if you look real teams, for example Chelsea, they don't have too many good set pieces takers and they are one of the best teams in the world currently... And that kind of player with superb attributes should be really really rare...

The fact that the way development works currently once a player hits 24 you stop seeing players increase as dramatically and they start to reshape their attributes more. I do agree that players should be reaching their peak later then they currently are, but given the way that contract renewals tend to go in the game by the time a good player you have developed since appearing from your academy hits 26-27 you have to sell them as you can't afford to pay them or their agent.

I'm not sure that it's that newgens are too good. I tend to think the problem is that it's too easy identifying and training them. There's too much certainty. If IRL a club like Liverpool could scout youngsters to the degree of accuracy that you can in FM, it's not that implausible that they could buy several teenagers for £15-20m each who would all become world-class talents, and win the Champions League in 5 years.

The problem with buying up scads of 15-16 year olds IRL is that it's a big risk. Their potential is uncertain, they could flame out and turn into nobodies. In FM, with the right training and a little bit of first team play, that kid with world-class potential will almost always become a world-class player.

I'm not sure that it's that newgens are too good. I tend to think the problem is that it's too easy identifying and training them. There's too much certainty. If IRL a club like Liverpool could scout youngsters to the degree of accuracy that you can in FM, it's not that implausible that they could buy several teenagers for £15-20m each who would all become world-class talents, and win the Champions League in 5 years.

The problem with buying up scads of 15-16 year olds IRL is that it's a big risk. Their potential is uncertain, they could flame out and turn into nobodies. In FM, with the right training and a little bit of first team play, that kid with world-class potential will almost always become a world-class player.

This. It's not that they are too many top regens (the CA allocation is well past good enough) and I would say even the development speed is a secondary issue (although it is pretty bad). The biggest issue is that it is much too easy for the player to be better at squad building than the AI.

But with "House Rules" it is easy to make things harder. I understand why someone would not to have to impose rules on themselves to make it harder, but if the OP just gave himself a rule "can only buy one U21 a season" or "can only spend half of my allotted transfer budget" than this kind of stuff mostly goes away and the game is more of a challenge without having to make the game harder for somebody else.

I don't understand why you say regens are too good when you have to pay that much money for them.

Making money is easy at a top club, after 4 years at Inter I have £220m in the bank and a £184m transfer budget with Moratti still in charge. Its far too much, I don't even need it because my regens from my youth team are good enough to start.

transfers and qualifying for the champions league. as someone else said, the money is easy to build up. also buying certain players for £4m at a young age and selling them for £40m a few years later

I have found the AI to be much better at squad building on this version. They also seem much better at producing players, Barcelona f/e on my save are consistently producing world class players from there youth team, as are P.S.G. Even Man City, who I have found in previous versions tend to spend money really badly, have put together a quality team.

Totally agree with this. It's just far too easy for a player to reach their potential when controlled by a human player. It would be the same with AI if they knew how to blood youngsters. Maybe it's time for a change in regards to not having a fixed PA? In addition to different variables that affect the progression.

I won the Champions League with Liverpool

I'm in 2017-2018

there are a few more, but it seems finding future potential stars at 4 star + and then just training them properly will see you win a lot easier. but in general, i believe regens are far too good

I dont sign any established players anymore, there is no need, these players will take years to help our club and younger players will come through, a philosophy that Liverpool board asks for. Happy to do.

how on hell you know who has the bes potential? if you are using a tool to see those hidden information , then don't come complaining pls

all managers try to sign them, but you can't get them all and if you did end up with 10% of them, 90% turn out to be just good

how on hell you know who has the bes potential? if you are using a tool to see those hidden information , then don't come complaining pls

all managers try to sign them, but you can't get them all and if you did end up with 10% of them, 90% turn out to be just good

it's called a scout

it's also called scouting nations/regions/competitions

it's also called a chief scout who also finds players

what hidden information? only thing i do is untick hide attribute masking, have done since before time. hardly a tool.

I agree - in real life if you'd play a kid too early at top level before he's ready for it, say like at 15 year old, you could seriously dent his confidence for a long time, and people will soon criticise you (and him) if he's not up to the standard.

In FM there's no penalty whatsoever for this, just play them as early as possible and watch them turn into robots. The only penalty is that you'll have a player in your 11 that is less than optimal so your team won't play as well, but the player himself only benefits.

Pushing someone into the limelight too soon should also do a number on their mental attributes.

There should always be the risk of turning a prospect into Nile Ranger by giving him too much money and exposure too soon.

Really I don't even need to see the scout's opinion on PA. Find a 15-16 year old with great attributes relative to his age and a favorable personality, and you'll be able to turn him into a star with few exceptions.

To me, the biggest problem with regens is how easily the AI teams give them away. For example, in FM12, Boca Juniors had a 16-year-old wonderkid striker who had just made a mockery of the U20 World Cup, scoring 9 goals in 7 games. In real life, this player would be getting incredible hype. All the big European clubs would know about him and look into signing him. Boca would try like hell to keep him as long as possible, then eventually sell him for a crazy sum of money. But in FM, I swooped in and signed him for Ipswich for £1.7M with little fanfare, and by the time he was 19 he was tearing up the Premier League.

Archived