Pep Guardiola 4-1-4-1

Just read an article http://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2013/7/17/4530782/bayern-munich-pep-guardiola-4-1-4-1-tactics-flexibility-schweinsteiger-kroos-alcantara-martinez

Now its sounds very interesting and something i would like to try like formations that you can simply change be a simply tweak or sub, not have to worry about the players you always a big fault of mine (always create different formations often find i have to many striker etc when i swap)

Now here is were i going to sound stupid are talking about the default 4-1-4-1 as in dmc- mr-mrc-mlc-ml or are we taking about a 4-1-4-1 as in mc -amr-amrc-amlc-aml ??

Or im over thinking this

I've been thinking about trying to play 4141 with an amc line with Bayern. Rubbery, Müller, Götze and Robbery in a line with Mandzukic in front of them and Schweini behind. I'm not sure how healthy it would be in terms of defense strength but it sounds really attractive.

Nice article, i will definitely try to make a tactic out of that.

Ill do it with Arsenal. And the set-up will be 4-1(dm)-4(2IF,2AMC)-1

Fluid/Control

Szczesny(SK,s)

Sagna(FB,s)-Vermaelen(BPD,c)-Balanta(BPD,c)-Gibbs(FB,s)

Wilshere(Regista)

Walcott(IF,a)-Mesut(T)-Cazorla(AP)-Chamberlain(IF,s)

Giroud/Werner(F9)

Shouts: Retain possession, shorter passing, work ball into box, play out of defence, look for overlap, play wider, much higher defensive line, hassle opponents, stay on feet, use tighter marking.

OI, show fullbacks and central backs out to the sides, and press them always. Not sure how to get the central midfielders out of the game.

Bad idea? :p

What i liked about the article in the op was the flexibility of the tactic, I do think its a 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1) of Barcelona i do think this a new breed of animal think Guardiola has seen Bayern have got 4 world class player that best play in AM strata.

• 4 months later...

I tried with my Arsenal team to make something similar.

GK - golakeeper/defend

DR - wing back/auto

DCR - central def/defend

DCL - central def/defend

DL - wing back/auto

DMC - anchor/defend

MR - wide midfielder/attack - player instr-sit narrow

MCR - Advanced plymk/support

MCL - box to box/support

ML - wide midfielder/attack - player instr-sit narrow

STC - trequartista/attack

Control/Balanced

Team instructions: exploit the middle,much higher def.line, hassle opponents, tighter marking,short passing,lower tempo,use offside trap

Early signs are good, two games at home, absolutely destroyed opponents, my WM tend to sit narrow around the box, with two CM's and trequartista swarming the middle, WB's providing width and anchor takes care for destroying opposition counter's..my D-line tends to sit on the halfway line. I've had around 40 shots in two games and only three shots on my goal. Tottenham's strikers average position was like 40 meters from their goal.

Any suggestions how to improve this even further?

I would like to set up similar counter attacking variant. Maybe remove sit narrow instruction from my WM's..sit deeper, change B2B to BWM/def and make my STC to Complete fwd/supp..higher tempo + pass into space?

To improve it you have to have a clear idea of what you want your tactic to do. When you have that you can, with help, try and work out how to achieve it; whether that is in terms of style or dealing with a deficiency you have noticed. Your tactic itself looks good and is quite near to something I want to try with my Arsenal team.

Where are you playing Ozil btw?

I have never really ventured into counter attacking as the sole aim as the tactic. However for such a tactic you require reactivity, space to counter into and speed of movement. So I would go for Standard or Control or even attacking but with drop deeper, higher tempo. I would leave it on default passing. The reasoning being is it will mean the tempo is higher but also more importantly the players intentions are more attacking. Dropping deeper provides the space. Higher tempo self explanatory and default passing because I am not a big fan of more direct passing but you can try it.

Then in terms of positioning players you may want at least one man left high up the pitch other than the striker. So I would push one of the WMs up to the AM strata and play them as a IF A. You see that tactic quite a bit with Everton, Real Madrid, Arsenal amongst others.

The shape of the 433 I'm currently using with Arsenal, becomes a 4141 of itself, while defending. FB auto, CD defend, CD cover, FB auto; DM defend; CM support, CM attack, IF support, IF support; AF. Very Fluid, Attack or Control. 4-1DM-2CM-AML/AMR-Str.

Archived