How much for your women? They're a Tenerife!

Deisler26

170px-CD_Numancia_logo.svg.png

C.D Numancia

End of August 2020 Transfer Window

Well, what a busy summer! Gearing up for our first ever UEFA Europa League campaign, we were given a target of a top-half finish with £8m in transfer funds & £425k in wages to do it with. With the improvements to the training & youth facilities already started, I didn't really have any requests of the board at this time.

Starting off in the LIGA BBVA, we played U.D Almeria as our season opener. Having it sandwiched between the two Europa League playoffs, I played the entire second team in this fixture and paid for it with a 2-3 reverse, despite going 2-1 up on 64 minutes. Estuardo Cedeno & Georginho, a new signing, amongst the goals. Finally this month, we played host to Athletic Bilbao. And, although we conceded in that irritating way of an open goal following a rebound, we pulled it together and saw Joaquin & Paulo Gomez bury two to give us a good 2-1 win over my former team!.

In the UEFA Europa League, we disposed of Glasgow Rangers in the Third Qualifying Round, then saw off FC Luzern of Switzerland to land us into the Group Stages with Hamburger SV, Viktoria Pizen & MSK Zilna.

Players-wise, another big influx & outgoing; Signing for us were ST Georginho, AMC Eliott Gauthier, DC Zavan Isidoro, AMLC Antonio Juan Morante, DM Riccardo Versuraro & GK Inaki Aranguren, all on free's. Also coming back on a free was ST Cassio. He was well past his prime now, but I wanted to allow him to retire gracefully at the team he helped promote. Being Romania manager meant that I had to get some Romanians in. So I signed DC Catalin Rogna on a free and, to anyone who knows my Santarcangelo thread, DC Sebastian Mladen. I loaned in Spainards AMRC/ST Gustavo Escudero from Manchester City & DC Dani from the Scum (Tottenscum). I paid actual money for three players; GK Adrian Ortola from Villarreal FC (£1.2m), AMLC Borja Ruiz for £1.4m from Athletic Bilbao, with a loan-back agreement, and DM Vieira (£88k) from Brazillians Botofogo FR.

We had a deep surplus of midfielders, so outgoing were players like Jon Toral (£200k, Elche CF), Jordan Jones (£50K, Girona FC SAD), Isaac Cuenca (£1m, FC Metz), Ibrahima Sy (£850k, RCD Espanyol), Wesley Said (£400k, FC Sochaux-Montbe) and Albert Uribe (£350k, Bolton Wanderers)

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C.D Numancia

End of 2020 Review

LIGA BBVA: We sit currently 9th in LIGA BBVA ending 2020. We've had some odd results this season. EVERY loss, bar the Barcelona one, has been with the second team on the pitch, including the humiliating 0-5 loss to Elche CF. I've been concentrating on the Europa League this season, so the first team has been purely for Europe, and games when we don't have Europe coming up. A stunning 7-0 thrashing of Real Valladolid was orchestrated by Pedro Alvarez, who sadly suffered a torn groin muscle just after and was out for 5 weeks :(. The Valencia CF draw was notable for coming from two goals down, conversely the Atletico Madrid loss came when we were 3-0 up at HT... The results speak for themselves..

Copa Del Rey: We were drawn against Segunda Division B opposition in the Fourth Round of the Copa Del Rey, in the shape of Real Jaen CF. Sadly, they provided no opposition in the first leg, with goals by Paulo Gomez, Zakaria Messaoudi, Zavan Isidoro & a double from Joaquin giving us a 5-0 first leg lead. Playing the backups and some overconfidence led to a 0-3 defeat in the second leg. I wasn't happy, but we were through 5-3 on aggregate. Next up was Valladolid CF.

UEFA Europa League: We kicked off our first-ever Europa League campaign with a stunning 4-1 win over Viktoria Pizen. This was swiftly followed by a battling 2-1 win over MSK Zilina, which put us top with maximum points... Then the wheels fell off. Two expected, if disappointing, defeats against Hambuger SV followed. 1-4 at home & 3-4 away. But it was the terrible 3-4 loss to Viktoria that really angered me. We lost the lead three times and conceded the winner on 87 mins. This meant we HAD to win to continue our campaign and hope that Pizen lost to HSV. Luckily it all came through, as we beat Zilina 5-2 to qualify 2nd from the group!. This put us in a First Knockout Round matchup against... AFC AJAX!

Oh...and just a little item popped up in my news feed..

12254EAE17C3FEEFBF45FD6C2F0A451E78BA2E4A

C0E56936728498F65CE47B1629AFC6BEFAD848DD

Federatia_Romana_de_fotbal.png

Romania

End of 2020 Review

Well, here I was, Romania manager, and we were looking to qualify for the FIFA World Cup 2022. I appointed Sebastian Mladen as captain (because, you know, bias..)

Romania 3-3 Norway (World Cup Qualifying Group J)

Iancu 4, 31

Panait 33

My first game didn't go according to plan as we struggled to a disappointing draw. We took an early lead through Manchester Utd's Gabriel Iancu on 4 minutes. However, after being pegged back 10 minutes later, we took the lead on 31 minutes, again through Iancu. Zenit St. Petersburg striker Valentin Panait headed home two minutes later to give us a 3-1 lead and, despite conceding a late first half goal, we went into the break 3-2 up. In the second half, chances were few and far between, so to concede the equaliser on 91 minutes was very galling.

---------------------------

Romania 2-0 Northern Ireland (World Cup Qualifying Group J)

Iancu 20

Maxim 81

A relatively simple game as Norn Iron never really threatened us and after Gabriel Iancu's goal midway through the first half, we settled into a passing, choking kind of setup and it yielded a late goal from FC Utrecht midfielder Alexandre Maxim to give us the easy win

----------------------

Romania 2-3 Austria (World Cup Qualifying Group J)

Stanciu 68

Iancu 80

A really, really disappointing game. We conceded a minute either side of HT and, although I screamed at the players, we looked lethargic and uncaring. But goals from Manchester United teammates Gabriel Iancu & Nicusor Stanciu, one from a solo run, the other from a deep corner which caused chaos, brought us back level before we switched off and conceded an 89th minute winner

----------------------

Romania 0-3 Holland (World Cup Qualifying Group J)

[/i]

Absolutely. Woeful.

----------------------

Romania 3-2 Norway (World Cup Qualifying Group J)

Tucudean 39, 42, 72

Revenge and a massive "Eff You!" to me from one of my players. Standard Liege striker Georges Tucudean had been in every squad of mine, but never played and he took his chance admirably, hitting a hat-trick, including one fantastic finish after a terrible goalkeeping mistake!

----------------------

Romania 1-4 Spain (Friendly)

Stoian 60

I let the Ass Man deal with this one. I ain't got time for friendlies...

[video=youtube;GPGLEd42wF8]

C.D Numancia

End of January 2021 Review

5 loans out of the club, three were players hanging around the first team. Vieira, Marti Lopez & Fran Juan were all shipped out to get first team work. I also sold Derik to RCD Espanyol for £350k

Incoming to the club were C.D Tenerife DLC Xavi Quintilla (£500k). I needed better cover at LB, and he was a good player when I was at Tenerife. I also signed 4 players to pre-contracts, then paid a little extra to the clubs to get the players earlier. DM Lluis Xiques was signed from FC Barcelona. I had Edgar Duran, Santi & Vieira there in that position, but Duran was immature & I wanted to keep a really Spanish flavour to the side.

Also signed was FC Bayern Munchen attacking midfielder Andreas Schwartzentruber. His stats and the look of him in a friendly convinced me to sign him even though he was German. The big thing was, he would be the second team pivot & could be sold on for profit. Plus, should I ever get a £15m+ bid for Alvarez, then he would move up into the first team.

Third was Algerian attacking midfielder Zakarie Labidi. He refused to sign a new deal at Stade Brestois 29 and he looked likely to be one of the future big players in the team, along with Schwartzentruber.

Lastly, Argentinian DC Nicolas Di Santoro from Lanus. He would be in next season's first team squad, but was sent to Numancia B to play constantly.

754082_mediumsquare.jpg

19:45

UEFA Europa League First Knockout Round First Leg

Neuvo Los Parajitos

Att: 15,000

C.D Numancia 3 - 3 AFC Ajax

A cold, breezy night in Numancia brought the arrival of one of the giants of European football, Ajax, to Neuvo Los Parajitos. We were looking forward to the matchup, both players & fans, as we were sold out and the cheers echoed round the ground. No injuries and suspensions meant we had a full first team ready to take on what would be an epic night of football.

This 'epic night of football' started badly as we conceded after only 9 minutes to silence the crowd. We couldn't seem to get anything going and our rhythm kept being disrupted. I was beginning to see that we were far behind the top clubs of Europe. Half Time came and I told them that I was unhappy with how they'd played and how much I needed them to push on.

The players responded perfectly. Barely a moment after the restart, a laser-like through ball from Pedro Alvarez saw Joaquin through on goal and he made no mistake. 1-1. 5 minutes later, even better! A knock-back from Messaoudi to the edge of the box saw Paulo Gomez rifle the ball high into the net. 2-1 and the old stadium was shaking at the foundations. We conceded again on 58 minutes, a whipped ball in, caused havoc and the Ajax striker bundled home. 2-2.

However, club captain, icon, hero Pedro Alvarez curled a shot home from just inside the penalty box on 65 minutes. 3-2! I tried to shut the game down, try to give us some breathing room for the second leg, but a bad defensive breakdown on 91 mins saw the Ajax striker slot home to make it 3-3 at the final whistle

MoM: Ajax player (8.8)

754082_mediumsquare.jpg

UEFA Europa League First Knockout Round Second Leg

Amsterdam ArenA

Att: 51,149

C.D Numancia (4) 1 - 0 (3) AFC Ajax

Both the players & I were a little in awe of our arrival at Amsterdam ArenA. The most high profile game in the clubs history. 51,000+ people roaring & only a fraction of those shouting for us. But, we were gonna play our hearts out for the fans that travelled the 1,100 miles to watch us. Again, due to my rotational policy, we had no injuries and were set for the match.

The game itself was largely forgettable. There were only 7 shots on target overall from both sides and no bookings. That final ball seemed to let both teams down. I told the guys I was happy at HT, purely as if we went out on away goals, then it wouldn't be a disgrace.

The only incident of note in the second half came on 68 minutes. An inswinging corner from Alvarez was headed home by an Ajax defender. 1-0 with an OG! Unbelievable. Ajax heads dropped and we came more into the game. But the midfield battle was still bogging everyone down and the game run down without any other incident. When the final whistle blew, we were stunned. We'd beaten one of the European greats! Fantastic!!!

MoM: Pedro Alvarez (7.4)

7CA3FCEBD18F74C35F7101E3844FD61D1390275B

754082_mediumsquare.jpg

UEFA Europa League Second Knockout Round First Leg

BayArena

Att: 27,373

C.D Numancia 1 - 3 Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Another 1,093 mile travel, this time to the Rhine-Westphalia to face off against Bayer 04 Leverkusen. And what an atmosphere! Firecrackers and pyrotechnics were set off as we exited the tunnel into a wall of noise and light. Never let anyone tell you that the Germans are restrained! Still no injuries or changes to my side.

From the kickoff, we were under the cosh. The superior talent of the Leverkusen side was evident and we were struggling to cope. However, on 43 minutes, our resistance was broken as the young £12.75m Leverkusen striker sprung the offside trap and fired home. We were 0-1 down at HT, but I was happy that we were not down by more.

We held out again until the 77th minute, then Leverkusen's £20m Serbian striker fired home at a very tight angle to double their lead to 0-2. We were in danger of falling apart and we were breached again as the £24.5m Leverkusen AMC fired home from the edge of the area to make it 0-3.

However, on 89 minutes, Roman's through ball gave Pedro Alvarez room to slot home low into the far corner after escaping some tight marking. 1-3. Just after kickoff, the whistle blew. We were facing a mountain in the second leg, but Leverkusen were completely superior.

MoM: Levekusen player (9.0)

754082_mediumsquare.jpg

UEFA Europa League Second Knockout Round Second Leg

Neuvo Los Parajitos

Att: 15,000

C.D Numancia (3) 2 - 3 (6) Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Home to face the music. We had a mountain to climb in this second leg and, by god, we were gonna give it all we had!.

We matched Leverkusen, battle by battle. And on 35 minutes, we got our just reward! Some tight interplay on the edge of the area led to Zakarie Labidi delicately lifting the ball home from the penalty spot, over the keeper's despairing dive. 1-0! We had our breakthrough! We got to half time still in the lead, so I passionately told the guys I was pleased with them.

Then came the horror. Two contentious penalty awards within 4 minutes of each other. First, Zavan Isidoro was adjudged to have tripped the Leverkusen striker on 52 minutes when it appeared that the player had dived. The resulting penalty was converted to make it 1-1, then Santi was harshly punished for allegedly jumping unfairly at a corner on 56 minutes, to put us further behind the eight ball at 1-2. When their £24.5m man tapped home to make it 1-3 on 58 minutes, we'd gone from being in with a shout, to being completely out in just 6 second half minutes.

Paulo Gomez scored a consolation goal on 79 minutes, tapping home into an empty net after Joaquin's cushioned volley was parried out to make it 2-3 but, by then, we were down and out. The whistle blew and our European adventure was over. I was, and am, still bitter about the two contentious penalties that completely changed the game in my opinion.

MoM: Leverkusen player (8.8)

21:30

Copa Del Rey Final

Estadio de Madrid

Att: 86,000

C.D Numancia 1 - 0 Real Madrid CF

Pleguezuelo 118

We were back. Wins over Jaen, Valladolid, Atletico & Betis saw us back to the Copa Del Rey Final after being cheated out of the previous year's trophy. Our opponents were the other side of the divide, Real Madrid CF. We'd had an easy ride to the Final, but we were gonna win this time or go down in flames! All the old guard were in and with only one change, Sebastian Mladen in for the suspended Andres Torquero , we were good to go!

Again, for a Cup Final, the first half highlights were non-existant! Having them on Key, meant that there wasn't a single highlight in the whole first half! Mladen picked up a booking after 29 minutes, but other than that, there was nothing. So at HT, I passionately told the guys that they could do it for the fans!

On 62 minutes, a lot of passing around our box by Madrid came to nothing, but minutes later, Pedro Alvarez was sprung free, but for a good save by the Madrid keeper, would have opened up the scoring. Xavi Quintilla had to hobble off on 61 minutes, to be replaced by Julio Pleguezuelo & the underperforming Paulo Gomez was replaced by Georginho.

A lot of corners, scrambled and otherwise, were the order of the day for both teams and Joaquin had a good volley saved by the Madrid keeper on 79 minutes. But, as in the first half, a stalemate was produced and we were off to ET. I told the boys passionately that I was proud of them and sent them back out.

A rapidly-tiring Zakaria Messaoudi was subbed for Zakarie Labidi on 105 mins, as I started to prepare for penalties. Then, on 118 minutes, a deep free-kick from Pedro Alvarez was headed out weakly by the Madrid defence. The ball fell to Julio Pleguezuelo on the edge of the box who rifled it home! 1-0! Unbelievable, Jeff! The ex-Barca trainee had scored to get one over on the old enemy!! I lost my sh*t on the touchline. Ecstatic with happiness, I kissed Kodro and hugged him tight. There was still time for a weak header from a cross, which Ortola saved comfortably! The whistle went! WE WON THE COPA DEL REY!!!!! OUR FIRST MAJOR TROPHY EVER!

MoM: Sebastian Mladen (8.7)

A75339C601F69AE32CCE99C8D874F0E305FFF236

logo_liga.jpg

FINAL DAY DRAMA!

The race for the final UEFA Champions League spot is down to the wire! Three teams; Valencia CF, Malaga CF & CD Numancia are in with a shout. The table looks like so!

4th - Valencia 66pts

5th - Malaga 65pts

6th - Numancia 64pts

*Peep* The whistle goes on the final day here of the La Liga season.

4 mins: GOAL! Joaquin scores to put us 1-0 up against Rayo!

18 mins: GOAL! Valencia score to put them 1-0 up against Betis!

24 mins: GOAL! Paulo Gomez scores to give us a 2-0 lead against Rayo!

24 mins: GOAL! Valencia score again to take a 2-0 lead over Betis!

28 mins: GOAL! Valencia score once more to take a commanding 3-0 lead over Betis!

34 mins: GOAL! Malaga score to take the lead against Sevilla! 1-0!

39 mins: GOAL! Paulo Gomez nets his second! 3-0!

41 mins: GOAL! Paulo Gomez completes his hat-trick! 4-0!

45+1 mins: GOAL! Sevilla equalise! 1-1!

45+2 mins: GOAL! Joan Angel Roman fires home another goal! 5-0!

HT: Valencia 3-0 Betis

......Malaga 1-1 Sevilla

......Numancia 5-0 Rayo

46 mins: GOAL! Betis pull one back! 1-3!

47 mins: GOAL! Pedro Alvarez buries a penalty! 6-0!

48 mins: GOAL! Betis have done it again! 2-3!

51 mins: GOAL! Paulo Gomez gets his fourth of the night! 7-0!

76 mins: GOAL! Joan Angel Roman fires home his second of the night! 8-0!

90+1 mins: GOAL! UNBELIEVABLE! An own goal for Valencia! 3-3!

*Peeeeeeeeeep* Final whistle!

Valencia 3-3 Betis

Malaga 1-1 Sevilla

Numancia 8-0 Rayo

27D2B5311D1ADD24F8FFBF01DA109CD6F98E8EEC

Archived