Miles Jacobson unveiled plans for a new free to play MMO! Reviving Football Manager Live?

According to a reliable Greek website, Miles Jacobson stated that there are plans for a new free to play, MMO edition of the Football Manager Series. This new game will offer in-app upgrades that will help players to progress quicker than normal.

Source (Greek Language):http://www.techgear.gr/football-mana...terview-79666/

Please ohh please tell us that it is TRUE. Give us some more information. Bring back Football Manager Live back. Make us dream again...

So, why you stated that at a european website Mr Jacobson? I agree that it has to be different to FML in order to meet success but are you sure there are no plans to release it in Europe in the near future? I am sorry but i cannot believe that SI will create a Football Manager MMO game just for the S Korean Market. You cannot imagine how did i react when i read your interview and your answer to what new editions are we going to see in the future.

I hope for an answer. Thank you

According to a reliable Greek website, Miles Jacobson stated that there are plans for a new free to play, MMO edition of the Football Manager Series. This new game will offer in-app upgrades that will help players to progress quicker than normal.

Source (Greek Language):http://www.techgear.gr/football-mana...terview-79666/

Please ohh please tell us that it is TRUE. Give us some more information. Bring back Football Manager Live back. Make us dream again...

>_> the bolded text is the LAST thing i would ever want in a FM game.. EWWW

and huzza tis the korean mmo.. and they like it so w/e

The reason I quite fm live was due to what i thought was a poorer match engine than fm. IMO the match engine is the most important part of any footi sim. With out realistic results ( i know there should be things like 'on there day' and 'they took there chances' and other anomalies) there is no point in a footi manager sim.

We announced that a couple of years ago. It's nothing new.

We're working on it for release in South Korea next year. There are no plans to release it anywhere else. It is VERY different to FML.

Let me rephrase my previous question please. Are there any chances to examine to release it in Europe if it does well in S Korea or you are are done with any other new MMO project. We expect an anwer please. Otherwise, why did you stated that at media based in EU? Did the journalist got lost in translation?

korea might just be a test for something that might come to rest of the world afterwards and i guess it has to do a lot with sega. might be just a side job for si.

Nah Korea and China just have a rather different gaming market. There was a FIFA Online game exclusive to Korea for ages.

It will come back at some point, the korean one has been in development pretty much since fmlive failed from what I understand. Problem is with online is everyone needs to feel like a winner even if they aren't. Being someone that beta tested and played fmlive till it shut I can honestly say it was my favourite online game by a mile!

I'd imagine that the question was related to the content that SI have already announced, for South Korea.

I can't see why they'd say more here - especially with the release a little while away at this point.

Gerara - I'd suggest patience. See how it goes in Korea - if it's a success then it's food for thought for a European release - but as Miles states, its probably radically different - the MMO market there is not like anything we know in the west, and it's not like FML either - so even Korean success doesnt' guarantee a product that's nailed on for us...

I should add that I never saw the product or plans for it so this is all my speculation...

• SI Staff

As I said earlier, we've been working on this for a few years, specifically for the Korean market. It's not a secret - there've been news articles about and I talk about it on both Twitter and Facebook.

We are co-developing the game with a Korean developer who were called KTH, until they were bought from their parent company earlier in the year by, umm, our parent company (SEGA).

Officially I've been studio director of both SI and SPK (the developer previously known as KTH) for many months - and apart from a recent break to finish FM - have been spending 1 week out of 6 over there with many members of the SI FMO team working on the design and technical sides of FMO. With the extra team members and roles we have now at SI, I've been able to pass some of my work onto other people to enable me to have the time to studio director of both. It's a fun experience.

There is only one release planned currently, and that is in Korea. If it does well there then it may well see releases in other countries - possibly modified - but not be like FML at all. The ethos and direction of the games are very different.

Thank you for your reply Mr Jacobson. I feel much better now and I am sure that you (SI) have learnt from FML mistakes and come back with a new MMO that will meet massive success. Good luck

• 2 months later...
There is only one release planned currently, and that is in Korea.

Since it hasn't launched in Korea yet, I'd be pretty sure that any published release date is the release date for Korea. You'd certainly have heard about it by now if it were launching anywhere else.

It will fail for one of the same reasons FML failed. Unfortunately with a game like this the match engine is the most important part of the game and rightly so it always need improving and updating. The problem you get with this is that most players base their tactics and signings depending on what works with the match engine, and once the match engine is tweaked or updated then this significantly affects the way your team performs and can destroy hours and hours of careful planning and team building. Until SI find a way around this which I don't think is possible unless you want the match engine to stagnate then I can't see an MMO being successful. Couple this with the obvious fact that people get bored once players with real names become old or retire and they then want to start again in a new game world, you are fighting a losing battle.

A simple solution for the real players retiring would be to make an in game year last about 4 months and only have official matches twice a week, the rest being made up of friendly comps etc. That way a player would only age 3 years over one real year and keep the attention a lot longer.

My solution to the ME problem would be to have an off season lasting about a month where there would be no official games and any ME updates would be implemented at the start of the off season giving people time to adjust to them ready for the new season.

You can't go messing with people's game when they have worked hard to find a winning formula and then it all goes tits up because of a game update.

Just my thoughts, hopefully they won't go unnoticed.

PS: I played FM live from beta until its death and have played CM/FM since the Domark days.

It will fail for one of the same reasons FML failed. Unfortunately with a game like this the match engine is the most important part of the game and rightly so it always need improving and updating. The problem you get with this is that most players base their tactics and signings depending on what works with the match engine, and once the match engine is tweaked or updated then this significantly affects the way your team performs and can destroy hours and hours of careful planning and team building. Until SI find a way around this which I don't think is possible unless you want the match engine to stagnate then I can't see an MMO being successful. Couple this with the obvious fact that people get bored once players with real names become old or retire and they then want to start again in a new game world, you are fighting a losing battle.

A simple solution for the real players retiring would be to make an in game year last about 4 months and only have official matches twice a week, the rest being made up of friendly comps etc. That way a player would only age 3 years over one real year and keep the attention a lot longer.

My solution to the ME problem would be to have an off season lasting about a month where there would be no official games and any ME updates would be implemented at the start of the off season giving people time to adjust to them ready for the new season.

You can't go messing with people's game when they have worked hard to find a winning formula and then it all goes tits up because of a game update.

Just my thoughts, hopefully they won't go unnoticed.

PS: I played FM live from beta until its death and have played CM/FM since the Domark days.

Even though any debate about FML will be short-lived (I'm surprised the topic hasn't been locked already actually), I couldn't disagree more with some of your points.

Your solution to the ME problem would drive far more players out than anything. Two official matches a week? 4 month seasons? Towards the end of FML's life, it was clear there just wasn't enough to do in game. I probably spent 80% of my time in FML doing absolutely nothing. Just waiting for something to happen. Often it would degrade into just waiting for AI rights to be awarded so I could play something official. If you spread it even thinner than that, why would anyone want to play?

Some people may have cared about the real players, but the returning stars mode lessened that a bit, and a hell of a lot of people played in the fantasy gameworlds anyway.

I also disagree that the ME was anywhere close to the main reason for people leaving. It was a great idea that just wasn't fully thought-out. It could've done with a couple more years of planning before release, because once they identified the problems, they were far too far down the road to fix them without alienating everyone they had already hooked. It's easy to see a situation where FML could come back and succeed, but it wouldn't be the same game, because anything close to what we saw before would just go down the same road.

Even though any debate about FML will be short-lived (I'm surprised the topic hasn't been locked already actually), I couldn't disagree more with some of your points.

Your solution to the ME problem would drive far more players out than anything. Two official matches a week? 4 month seasons? Towards the end of FML's life, it was clear there just wasn't enough to do in game. I probably spent 80% of my time in FML doing absolutely nothing. Just waiting for something to happen. Often it would degrade into just waiting for AI rights to be awarded so I could play something official. If you spread it even thinner than that, why would anyone want to play?

Some people may have cared about the real players, but the returning stars mode lessened that a bit, and a hell of a lot of people played in the fantasy gameworlds anyway.

I also disagree that the ME was anywhere close to the main reason for people leaving. It was a great idea that just wasn't fully thought-out. It could've done with a couple more years of planning before release, because once they identified the problems, they were far too far down the road to fix them without alienating everyone they had already hooked. It's easy to see a situation where FML could come back and succeed, but it wouldn't be the same game, because anything close to what we saw before would just go down the same road.

Two official matches was not my solution to the ME problems, it was regarding players ageing too quickly. Many online football management sims only have two times a week when they have official matches and they work fine. As for having nothing to do and waiting to get rights to play, that's got to be pretty unhealthy to want to be playing that much. It should be a game with long term goals that you don't have to play 24/7 to be any good at. It's a game and is supposed to be fun, not a way of life!

Two official matches was not my solution to the ME problems, it was regarding players ageing too quickly. Many online football management sims only have two times a week when they have official matches and they work fine. As for having nothing to do and waiting to get rights to play, that's got to be pretty unhealthy to want to be playing that much. It should be a game with long term goals that you don't have to play 24/7 to be any good at. It's a game and is supposed to be fun, not a way of life!

Well, like FM, having it switched on doesn't always equate to playing it. I would go on most evenings when I had time, and pretty much every one of them, I would go off and do other things because there was nothing to do in game. Fair enough if you're on 24/7, you can't expect to have much to do, but when all you're doing pretty much every night you're online is wait for AI rights, then I imagine giving them even less to do would do nothing but drive people away.

And the real players argument doesn't fit everyone. Anyone in a fantasy gameworld wouldn't care about that. I know it will annoy some, but it's hardly the number one reason it failed.

Just to clarify, FMO isn't FML with just a name change, so how you can write it off before it's even been previewed, let alone released is a bit beyond me.

It's my opinion. Life would be boring if we all kissed arse to get browny points. I'm too old to be playing that game, but it's my opinion that it will fail because I don't think football management and MMO work together, not on the scale that Sega will want it to work anyway. If you don't like my opinion then i apologise.

People predict football results before a ball has been kicked or teams announced. People believe in God with no evidence to back up their beliefs. I believe FMO will fail, but feel free to berate me if it doesn't.

It's my opinion. Life would be boring if we all kissed arse to get browny points. I'm too old to be playing that game, but it's my opinion that it will fail because I don't think football management and MMO work together, not on the scale that Sega will want it to work anyway. If you don't like my opinion then i apologise.

People predict football results before a ball has been kicked or teams announced. People believe in God with no evidence to back up their beliefs. I believe FMO will fail, but feel free to berate me if it doesn't.

Not kissing ass here but if done right a footy manager mmo could be huge imo. Although i dont play them but look at how big and fast fantasy football leagues grew and i see this as a similar thing but with more control which cant be bad.

Not kissing ass here but if done right a footy manager mmo could be huge imo. Although i dont play them but look at how big and fast fantasy football leagues grew and i see this as a similar thing but with more control which cant be bad.

Not saying they shouldn't try, but I think it would have been done by now if it was going to work. Footy MMOs just don't have lasting appeal. FML was awesome compared to every other online footy game out there, it had virtually no competition, but even that failed. If people don't play a game that has no competition then surely there just isn't the market for it long term.

Although saying all that I seem to remember SI didn't advertise the game or sell it in shops until game worlds had been established and were starting to dwindle. I don't think that helped the cause.

Not saying they shouldn't try, but I think it would have been done by now if it was going to work. Footy MMOs just don't have lasting appeal. FML was awesome compared to every other online footy game out there, it had virtually no competition, but even that failed. If people don't play a game that has no competition then surely there just isn't the market for it long term.

Although saying all that I seem to remember SI didn't advertise the game or sell it in shops until game worlds had been established and were starting to dwindle. I don't think that helped the cause.

But no one has played this game yet, so how do you know there is not a market for it?

This isnt FML being released over here, this is a new MMO game in a country where MMO games are the biggest thing they play, by some stretch as well.

When stumbling across this video last year, I assumed the game was alredy "live" (ahem).

[video=youtube;_ICjzySCcyU]

I take it the UI was not done by SI, but by the Korean dev team, right? :D Anyway, here's hoping it will be a success. Classic FM will always have its very own appeal, where else in the world do you get to compete against Mourinho, Guardiola, Redknapp et all? But an online MO definitely has a future, as firstly I don't know any online football management game that is much cop when it matters most, that is when Saturday comes and matches kick off. And secondly, Red_Devil might be no Sir Alex F, ronaldo777 might be no Mourinho - but they'll come up with something a computer AI can't and won't ever be able to do.

That said, it's a completely different playing field, a completely different game, and needs to be treated as such. Arguably, that is in parts where FM Live failed, for instance, I cannot see a Football Manager match engine that was known to be exploitable much easier back then causing no fuss in an online environment where words spread around quickly, and suddenly every opponent's victory turns sour by wondering whether he might have won just by "dirty" trickery out there. Also there must be a reason why so many MMO games are F2P in some form or other, and an online FM will compete against a number of freebies. As Korea seems all crazy about online games, this will likely go well.

When stumbling across this video last year, I assumed the game was alredy "live" (ahem).

[video=youtube;_ICjzySCcyU]

I take it the UI was not done by SI, but by the Korean dev team, right? :D Anyway, here's hoping it will be a success. Classic FM will always have its very own appeal, where else in the world do you get to compete against Mourinho, Guardiola, Redknapp et all? But an online MO definitely has a future, as firstly I don't know any online football management game that is much cop when it matters most, that is when Saturday comes and matches kick off. And secondly, Red_Devil might be no Sir Alex F, ronaldo777 might be no Mourinho - but they'll come up with something a computer AI can't and won't ever be able to do.

That said, it's a completely different playing field, a completely different game, and needs to be treated as such. Arguably, that is in parts where FM Live failed, for instance, I cannot see a Football Manager match engine that was known to be exploitable much easier back then causing no fuss in an online environment where words spread around quickly, and suddenly every opponent's victory turns sour by wondering whether he might have won just by "dirty" trickery out there. Also there must be a reason why so many MMO games are F2P in some form or other, and an online FM will compete against a number of freebies. As Korea seems all crazy about online games, this will likely go well.

I love the Sega/Sonic style GOAL! that comes up. Brilliant.

Good Lord - I've just got further in, there's some cracking icons in that. Would've certainly livened up FML if we'd had some spinning manga style icons every so often,

The thing is, everything I've seen about FMO is common for a game in that sort of market that hasn't really found a niche here- there's almost an RPG feel to it (notice, for example, the selection between two female characters, presumably assistants, shown in the video). It doesn't looks like it's trying to be what FML was trying to be, which was essentially an MMO version of FM, but a much more direct game. For me, the big problem FML faced is that it couldn't decide who it was targeting, people playing 30 minutes every other day, or people playing 12 hours a day. In the end it tried for both and missed the mark on both. Which is a massive shame, because it remains the best version of FM. But FMO seems to be a game that knows its audience, and knows who it wants to play it.

There's much, much more of an arcadey look and feel to it- compare, for example, the approach of the fast-paced, exciting ad of that one above to those for FML ("Play. Win. Rub it in." -

). Different approaches for different games in different markets- and if it's successful, it'd be interesting to see if that kind of game could translate over here. It isn't FML, but it's an interesting concept- it brings to mind "Let's Make A Soccer Team" on the PS2. Good luck to it, I say.

• 7 months later...

I was still wondering what was the main reason for the downfall of FML. IIRC it was reduced number of players combined with high licensing fees and bandwidth.

- Bandwidth has become much cheaper the last 4 years

- A true fan of FML did/does not need real player names (saves a bucketload of money on licensing)

I haven't got a clue how many hours per month went into moderating and development/bugfixing of FML but I'd sure be interested in those numbers. After 4 years I'm still sour that FML died....

And I'm guessing one of the reasons SI picked the Korean market is that noone aside from Koreans can read that language, so license fees to FIFA and other stakeholders would be like a fraction of the cost compared to English..

The main reason it failed is because people don't like to lose.

The reality of football, and thus FML, is that most people lose most of the time.

People who don't like to lose shouldn't "casually" play online games vs others and the absolute LAST thing that should be done is suit the game for casual players. FML was clearly a game for the hardcore FM addicts :)

I reject the argument that it failed because people don't like to lose- that's a part of it, but it's too simplistic. It stands to reason that any MMO will have a core of dedicated players as well as a turnover of players who come and go, and there's no reason that FML should be any exception. It also stands to reason that in that core, not everyone is going to win.

In FML, that core was spread too thinly, with far too many GWs opened far too quickly, both before and after the reset. It was naivety in trying to accommodate everyone at the same time, and that led to a snowball effect and emptying GWs. Each of the GWs at the end probably had a core of 100 or so players who were still there, dedicated, win or lose. Had they been in the same GW together, it would have been self-perpetuating- a bigger core in each GW also improves the experience for everyone. But establishing a decent-sized core was essential, and in no GW did that happen, because everyone kept rushing to the newest GW to open, because there was always a new one around the corner.

The other issue was this idea (which there may have been some truth in) that there wasn't enough dynamism in the rankings- that you HAD to be in a GW on day one to do well, and that once you raced away, that was it. SI never found the balance between making sure people were rewarded for longevity whilst at the same time ensuring new people to the GW weren't just fodder until they gave up.

Instead, in terms of development, we got pretty new pitch designs and icons for the chat room.

It's the main cause, though. People losing kept switching to new GWs or stopped playing entirely. If the other GWs weren't open, those people wouldn't have stuck with it instead of changing, they'd just have stopped playing.

I always argued the GWs were too big for the player database. Once you got over 500 teams, all that was left was an absolute buttload of players nobody wanted to sign. I played in two 500-team GWs and they were way more fun and generally more active and more stable than the 1,000 team worlds.

It's the main cause, though. People losing kept switching to new GWs or stopped playing entirely. If the other GWs weren't open, those people wouldn't have stuck with it instead of changing, they'd just have stopped playing.

And, while that may be true, fewer GWs would've meant there would've been more people waiting to play, prompting more longevity in the GWs themselves. No GW would ever keep everyone it started with, and there will always be people leaving for one reason or another. The important thing is to make sure there are sufficient people waiting to fill those spaces when they do occur, keeping the GW as full and active as possible. The strategy of continuously opening new GWs worked against that, and meant that numbers just dropped and continued dropping once the decline began.

Although I have no experience myself of a smaller GW, I agree with you that the GWs were also too large themselves. It meant you were more likely to encounter inactive players, which again was self-perpetuating in a GW's decline- people weren't there to play against AI-controlled teams.

The best thing about the 500 GWs was that there were always enough decent players to go around to give players hope. There'd always be someone great looking for you to sign to make your team of nobodies a focus.

I remember starting in one of them when there were around 300 active users and I managed to put together a pretty decent bottom-of-the-Championship quality side out of the freebies and it wasn't long before I was able to improve them. What gave me hope early on was a ridiculously good GK I got in the opening draft thing.

Of course it failed because players didn't like to lose. It's always been the same ever since the days of the Apex Soccer League (a play by mail game). It was always the teams near the bottom that became available to play.

The only players who continue when losing are the hardcore. (Very few).

Even then, after a few seasons of finishing near the bottom every season, even the hardcore would stop playing.

Put simply people will not pay money each month (no matter how cheap) for a game they are not doing well in.

Archived