Saving Private Rayo

greekgeorge

Let’s see how my players did.

Goalkeepers

Ruben 41 apps – 6 clean sheets – 2 PoM – 7.00 rating. A good solid season, more of the same next year please.

David Cobeno 5 apps – 6.70 rating. He wanted to leave the club but changed his mind. I’ll keep him.

Ismael Not good enough, was released from the club.

Defenders

Anaitz Arbilla 26(9) apps – 1 assist – 6.82 rating – 2 PoM. Proved to be a good back up for every position in defence.

Ze Castro 41(1) apps – 3 goals – 6.61 rating. After a poor start he made some improvement.

Rodri 15(4) apps – 1 goal – 1 assist – 6.77 rating – 2 PoM. Useful, I want to keep him but his agent thinks otherwise. We’ll see what happens.

Leonel Galeano 9(7) apps – 2 goals – 6.63 rating. Will get more playing time next season.

Alex Galvez 40(1) apps – 1 goal – 6.90 rating – 2 PoM. Really depended on him, he’s one of my best players and I’m glad I could keep him here.

Tito 34 apps – 3 assists – 7.04 rating – 6 PoM. Great season from the right back, too bad he will be leaving.

Johan Mojica 5(1) apps – 6.06 rating. Not much to say, he can go back to his club.

Nacho 28(2) apps – 2 goals – 1 assist – 7.09 rating – 1 PoM. Had some injury trouble but he’s a great player. Had the second highest average rating.

Midfielders

Raul Baena 33 apps – 6.70 rating. He’s a very good player and was somewhat wasted playing as a defensive midfielder but there was no other choice. He will play in his natural role next season.

Adrian 15(15) apps – 1 goal – 2 assists – 6.82 rating. Not bad but he can do better.

Saul 23(8) apps – 1 goal – 1 assist – 6.86 rating – 1 PoM. The youngster proved a very useful midfielder. Too bad he has to go back to his club.

Alberto Perea 1(1) apps – 6.70 rating.

Roberto Trashorras 33(4) apps – 4 goals – 12 assists – 6.87 rating – 2 PoM. A great season from the 33 year old captain. His physical attributes though are those of a 40 year old.

Jose Carlos 8(16) apps – 6.57 rating. Disappointing. His contract was renewed just because he lowered his demands.

Christian Cueva 0(5) apps – 1 goal – 6.88 rating.

Iago Falque 39(1) apps – 6 goals – 12 assists – 6.86 rating. Fantastic stuff from the left winger. I wish I could keep him for another year.

Lass Bangoura 32(4) apps – 5 – 10 assists – 6.93 rating. A quality winger who has shown much improvement. Really happy to have him.

Alberto Bueno 2(2) apps – 1 goal – 7.07 rating. Was sold to Malaga for 1 million.

Jonathan Viera 17(11) apps – 2 goals – 6 assists – 6.60 rating. There were lots of expectations from him that were simply not met.

Strikers

Sebastian Fernandez 19(20) apps – 5 goals – 1 assist – 6.65 rating. Should have done better but he played in 4 different positions so that might be an excuse.

Nery Castillo 4(14) apps – 6.53 rating. Good bye Nery.

Joaquin Larrivey 36(5) apps – 28 goals – 4 assists – 7.22 – 7 PoM. Our player of the season. Amazing goal scoring, 2nd in La Liga. I would have been happy with just half of what he did for us.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The chairman called me to let me know that after renewing our TV contracts and some other marketing deals we’ve got a nice 6.3 million available for transfers. To be honest, I didn’t expect that kind of money with our financial troubles. So with money in the bank, it was time to start signing players.

First, an attacking midfielder to help out Trashorras. My primary target was ex Rayo Alejandro Dominguez, but Olympiakos wouldn’t sell. So I made an offer for another ex Rayo man (do you see a pattern here?), Jorge Valdivia. Palmeiras accepted the offer but El Mago’s demands were too high. On to Cani, who Villareal had to sell after their relegation, but once again what I offered to him was nowhere near his demands. My next option was 29 year old Argentinian Ignacio Piatti of San Lorenzo. Not as well known as the others, but a very good player and -more importantly- free. He accepted and became our second transfer after right back Marc Bertran.

For left winger I thought about trying to renew Falque’s loan, but I’m not too keen on relying on loanees so I decided to sign someone else. First choice was Piti, a Rayo icon, but Granada wouldn’t sell, so I went for my second choice, ex Barcelona and Ajax Isaac Cuenca. Despite having played 3 games in the last 3 years, he wanted 3 times what we paid our key players so I told him to p*ss off. Next on the list was Mallorca’s Michael Pereira who had a good season in La Liga on loan to Granada. The 26 year old Cape Verde international was really happy with my offer and I was glad to sign him.

My search continues for a defensive midfielder and a back up striker. I have a few options in mind so I hope to have a full squad by the end of June.

*There is speculation about Nacho, Baena and Bangoura with the press asking if I’m willing to sell them. No way, hands off.

*We were invited for a preseason tour of Greece, with friendly matches against Panionios, Veroia and Kallithea. I said yes. Good opportunity to visit home.

Two more transfers have been finalized. We really needed a defensive midfielder that would allow Baena to play as a deep lying playmaker. After extensive research and scouting, we signed 25 year old Nigerian Sunny who was without a team since January. He is a bit of a risk but I think it’s a risk worth taking.

After our first season, it was very clear that we needed another striker who can score goals and ease some pressure off Larrivey. I also wanted someone with a bit of experience, so we signed 33 year old Aganzo from Aris who had just been relegated.

I might go for a backup defender at some point but I haven’t made up my mind on that. There’s plenty of time and I’ll probably wait until we have played a couple of friendlies first.

Tito, Falque, Saul, Viera, Castillo and Mojica have left the club and I think it’s now time to have a look at our new players:

Marc Bertran: The 32 year old right back played only 3 games last year but has played 91 La Liga games with Osasuna, Tenerife and Espanyol and plenty more in Liga Adelante. He has good defensive abilities and a better crosser than Tito.

Stephen Obaya Sunday or Sunny: The 25 year old has 14 La Liga apps with Valencia and Osasuna and has also played for Real Betis and Numancia in Liga Adelante. Last season was at Israel with Bnei Sakhnin before being released on a free. Very good physical, and defensive abilities, aggressive and good work rate; makes me wonder why he couldn’t find a club since January.

Michael Pereira: The 26 year old had a good season at Granada with 27(9) apps, 4 goals and 9 assists. He also has 90 La Liga games and 9 goals with Mallorca. He can play left or right flank, his technical abilities are not as good as Falque’s, but he his work rate and teamwork are higher. He has a reputation of being confrontational and volatile, I’ll have to keep an eye on him.

Ignacio Piatti: The 29 year old playmaker has had two good seasons at San Lorenzo and has experience in Europe, with two seasons at Lecce and two more at Saint Etienne. His best season was at Independiente and has a total of 255 apps and 33 goals. A player rather similar to Trashorras, I expect him to be our creative spark.

David Aganzo: The 33 year old striker is a proven goal scorer and has played for Rayo before, with 72 apps and 28 goals in three years. The former Real Madrid man has a total of 312 apps and 91 goals in his career and I hope he can contribute with a few more this year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Valencia, Espanyol, Getafe and Olympiakos offered 2.3 million for Baena. Not bad, but I wouldn’t sell him for less than 5 million. His agent called me right after I rejected the offers and asked for an improved deal. I didn’t like that but I made him a very generous offer which will make Baena again our highest paid player.

*Offers have been made for Nacho and Bangoura too, by Celta and Sevilla respectively. I rejected them but I don’t know if I can keep doing that, especially if the players want to leave…

First day of the pre season. The sun is shining, the pitch is in immaculate condition, all our 22 players are back from their holidays with no injuries or tiredness problems, our friendlies are sorted out and I’m holding our 2014/2015 fixture list. It can’t get any better than that.

But then I spot Galvez and Bangoura coming my way. They have a rather stern look on their faces.

-Boss, can we have a word?

Oh no, I don’t like that.

Five minutes. That’s all it took to shatter my plans and ambitions for the new season. Two of my best players feel they need to move to a bigger club, they won’t change their minds and they want to leave now. Eventually I had to agree, I just couldn't convince them to stay not even for one season. And to be honest, I don't blame them, they're good players and they deserve success. They will definitely bring in some serious money, but that doesn’t make it any better.

I tried not to show that I was affected but everyone knew how highly I rated these two and they kept their distances from me for the rest of the day. Our first training session of the season looked like a funeral.

Decisions had to me made and they had to be made quickly. A few days after the transfer requests, Granada approached us with an offer of 2.2 million for Lass Bangoura. After some negotiating, I managed to raise it to 2.8 million plus some future incentives. If he wasn't in a rush to leave, I would have requested more but I couldn't risk a break down and an unhappy player.

With more money in the bank, I had to spend some to bring a replacement. After some extensive scouting, I made a shortlist of three players, two French playing in their homeland and one Spaniard, Levante's Jordi Xumetra. I decided to go for the latter, since he would have no adaptability problems and I would also keep my squad mostly Spanish. Good for team blending and cohesion.

My offer of around 2 million was accepted, my contract offer was good enough for the right winger, so the deal was closed and I was glad to cover Bangoura's empty spot so quickly.

There were offers for Galvez too, with Sevilla's 3.2 million bid standing out, but I was surprised to see him rejecting their contract offer. He is my second highest paid player with around 25.000 euro a week and I can see how some clubs might be reluctant to offer more than that. I still made an offer for my number 1 candidate, Uruguayan Leandro Cabrera, who played for Castilla, Real Madrid's B team, but he rejected it and signed with Villareal who will be playing in Liga Adelante. Interesting choice...

There are still two or three more players in my shortlist, but I'm in a dilemma. Do I move quickly and sign one of them up or do I risk it and wait to see whether Galvez's transfer is actually going to happen? Hopefully, he might quickly get disappointed with what other clubs offer him and decide to stay.

Fingers crossed.

*In other news, Spain won the World Cup, after beating Germany 2-1 in extra time. They were the two best teams of the tournament, with Brazil getting knocked out in the quarter finals by the Germans. Fernando Llorente won the Golden Boot with a massive 8 goals.

Our pre season is going well and we're seriously trying to improve our defence, an area that we were really lacking last year. Of course our friendlies so far have been against teams that we should be beating, but still we have been playing ok, with the obvious exception of our first half performance against Racing Santander.

I'm keeping the same 4-2-3-1 wide formation that we used for the biggest part of last season, with some minor tweaks of course. My main goal is to improve our away performances and try to snatch a few more draws or even wins than we did last year. Having a proper defensive midfielder and another option for the striker position should help us a bit.

There has been special focus on team cohesion in training, since there are six new members and most of them are going to be first team players. I usually try not to change my teams too much from one season to another, so there won't be a rush to start them all straight away.

Our friendlies so far:

21.7.2014 Rayo - Rayo U19s: 6 - 1

Pereira 2', Larrivey 24' 34' 39', Aganzo 71' 90' - Claveria 81'

26.7.2014 Kallithea - Rayo: 0 - 1

Bertran 45'

30.7.2014 Panionios - Rayo: 1 - 2

Aravidis 90' - Larrivey 62', Rodri 84

2.8.2014 Veroia - Rayo: 0 - 0

6.8.2014 Racing - Rayo: 3 - 5

Garcia 1', Beitia 17', Correa 33' - Galvez 4', Piatti 40' 80', Larrivey 64' 71'

What I'm concerned about is that there's less than a month left till the end of the transfer window and there haven't been any offers for Galvez. Obviously he's treated as a first team player, but I would hate to see him leave so soon to the start of our season. I'm still watching the 2-3 players I have on my shortlist, just in case, but I really hope he stays at least till January.

*Baena had a setback with a groin strain and he probably won't be fit for our first La Liga game, away at Espanyol.

Two days before our La Liga opener against Espanyol and still no new offers have been made for Galvez. I am dreading the last day of the transfer window though... I'm certain someone is going to pop up with a bid, I'm probably going to have to accept it and then it will be a frantic last minute search for a first team central defender.

However I now must concentrate on our oncoming match. Javier Aguirre has not forgotten our last season rivalry and he has attempted to drag me into his mind games, but I'm playing cool. A good result at Espanyol should shut him up but it's not going to be easy. I also noticed that they managed to sign Falque from Tottenham which was a surprise for me. That's embarrassing, if I knew they were selling him, I would have made a bid...

After Friday's training, I gathered my staff to assess our strengths and weaknesses ahead of the new season. The media prediction of 16th position is a slight improvement to last year's 18th. Elche, Sporting and Las Palmas, the three newly promoted clubs, are the big favourites to go down.

Last season's comparison was terrible, with Rayo being last in strength, work rate and team work attributes and rather poor in quite a few others, but there is now a noticeable improvement due to the players I brought in (I'm bragging here). We're 11th in strength and work rate and 17th in team work. Our goalkeepers are very good at kicking and one on ones (3rd and 2nd respectively) and pretty good in most of the other areas, with the exception of command of the area (19th).

Our defensive attributes are between 7th (heading) and 15th (positioning) place which is pretty good, the midfield is 6th on stamina but just 19th on tackling and our forwards 3rd on anticipation but under the 13th place at everything else. I'm not bothered though, I've got Larrivey.

*Apparently Barcelona are interested in our fantastically named 16 year old striker Jose Ismael Espana and our 15 year old midfielder Alberto. Both are very highly rated by my coaching staff and are going to sign pro contracts as soon as they're allowed to. Barca can look elsewhere for talent to steal. Espana has been sent to Albacete to gain some experience while I've registered Alberto for La Liga. He might get a game or two in the first team if an injury crisis hits us.

17.8.2014 Espanyol - Rayo: 0 - 3 La Liga

Larrivey 10', Pereira 48', Sunny 90'+1

What a way to start the season. Three goals and a clean sheet against Javier Aguirre's team who must be furious with his players. I, on the other hand, am obviously delighted with the win and the way we played.

We started cautiously, aiming to hit them on the counter attack and we did exactly that just 10' in. Piatti nicked the ball just outside our box, found Pereira on his left, he hit a 40 yard pass infront of Larrivey who went past the keeper and slotted it in. Espanyol were shocked and even though they missed two or three good chances, they just couldn't break our defence or the excellent Ruben.

Then early in the second half, Pereira scored a magnificent goal to make it 2-0. Piatti exchanged passes with Sunny, chipped a nice little ball just inside the left side of the area and the Cape Verde international blasted it in first time. We were cruising.

Aguirre's side tried again to score and they even hit the post, but so did we with the excellent Piatti who supplied the corner kick for our third goal in added time.

After the first game of the season, we're 2nd in La Liga, above both Barcelona and Real Madrid on goal difference. Not bad.

*Six, yes six, of our players were selected for the team of the week, while Pereira's goal was third best.

30.8.2014 Rayo - Elche: 4 - 1 La Liga

Larrivey 2', Xumetra 33', Pereira 37' 90'+1 - Fidel 46' Sergi Gomez s/o 87'

A big result and a magnificent performance. We simply outplayed our big rivals and this win gives us a massive confidence boost early in the season. Even though it's too early to say, our tactical tweaks seem to have improved our defence which was our weak link last season. The main difference is that both Pereira and Xumetra can play as defensive wingers, with Falque and Bangoura being much more attack minded. As a result, we can pressure our opponents flanks, win balls and cut down their crosses.

That's exactly what we did against Elche. A quick goal from Larrivey after a bad mistake by Sapunaru, then our wide men got one each and with the score 3-0 at half time it was game over. Elche got a goal back very early but they didn't create many chances after that and Pereira got our 4th in the end.

Next game, against last season surprise team Granada who are having a rather bad start this year with two defeats in two games.

*I was worried that we could lose Galvez on the last day of the transfer market and every hour that passed made me more anxious. Fortunately, there were no offers and the player will stay with us at least till January. I also made a last minute transfer of talented 19 year old defender Alberto Tendillo from Valencia. He's one for the future and will provide some cover if necessary.

*Some interesting moves this summer in the transfer market. Paris Saint Germain spent a total of 163 million (!!) for players like Pato, Montoya, Evra, Griezmann, Azpilicueta and Ander Herrera. Real sold Khedira to Leverkusen and Coentrao to Arsenal. They signed some players too, but no big names. Valdes left Barcelona but has not found a team yet. Barca signed Muslera from Galatasaray as a replacement.

14.9.2014 Granada - Rayo: 0 - 2 La Liga

Pereira 28', Larrivey 79'

We're on a roll. Another great performance and an unexpected win against a side that plays in the Champions League. Once again, our defence was solid and we took full advantage of the opportunities we created, with Pereira having another brilliant game.

The Cape Verde international scored our first, with an easy finish after his first shot was blocked by the Granada goalkeeper and was again very dangerous on the left flank, intercepting plays and creating opportunities. Granada, who had Bangoura on the bench, had the chances to score, especially in the second half, but man of the match Ruben was unbeatable.

Eventually, Larrivey made it 2-0 from a Piatti corner and we got our third win in 3 matches (2 of them away from home) which leaves us, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona at the top of the table with 9 points each. A dream start.

Next game, at home against Valladolid who have 3 defeats.

*We're having a mini injury crisis at the moment with Baena (again), Jose Carlos and youngster Tendillo unavailable for the next 4-6 weeks.

Thanks Spav, glad you like it. An excellent start indeed, lets see if it lasts

21.9.2014 Rayo - Valladolid: 1 - 1 La Liga

Larrivey 57' pen - Guerra 70'

A very unlucky result in a match that was almost a constant bombardment of the Valladolid defence. Despite his goal, Larrivey had a poor match and his missed opportunities combined with a defensive mistake gave the point to Juan Ignacio's side.

We started very well. Larrivey missed a sitter early on, then Ze Castro hit the post, then Larrivey again shot wide after a good team move. Just minutes before the end of the first half, the Argentine had the opportunity to give us the lead from the penalty spot, after a foul on Piatti, but his shot was saved by man of the match Marino.

The second half was more of the same. Larrivey missed more chances, with Marino making some fantastic saves and I was thinking of bringing on Aranzo in his place, when Sunny won another penalty. Larrivey took the ball again and this time he didn't miss. 1-0.

We kept creating chances and hit the post again, Piatti this time, but then Valladolid, with one of their very few opportunities, capitalized on a mistake from Bertran to make it 1-1. I made some changes and we piled on the pressure but we couldn't do anything more and eventually had to accept the point. At least we're still unbeaten.

Next game, is another home fixture against Celta.

25.9.2014 Rayo - Celta: 4 - 1 La Liga

Pereira 6', Piatti 15', Larrivey 45'+1 pen, Galvez 54' Sunny s/o 46' - Chrisantus 25'

Another demolition, another fantastic performance which was somewhat darkened by Sunny's red card. Our goals scored/chances ratio was great and our defence is significantly better than last season.

Pereira scored our first from a corner and once again proved that he is lethal in the box. 10 minutes later Galvez sent a long ball on the left side, Larrivey and goalkeeper Blanco went for it, our striker got there first, turned and found Piatti who just had to hit the target with the keeper nowhere near. 2-0.

We thought that was it, but Celta got one back very soon and started pressing us. I pulled our defence a little bit deeper, this created space for us and Celta had to be more careful.

Then in first half stoppage time, Galvez was pushed in the penalty area and the referee had no option but to point at the spot. Larrivey converted it, 3-1, with our third penalty in two games.

The second half started badly for us, with Sunny sent off after an unnecessary two footed challenge, but Celta did not have what it takes to come back and we got our fourth after another corner, with Galvez.

After 5 games, we have 4 wins and 1 draw, 14 goals scored, 3 conceded and top of the table together with Mallorca. No one expected that and we’re going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Next game, away at Atletico Madrid.

28.9.2014 Atletico Madrid - Rayo : 1 - 2 La Liga

Leo 34' - Xumetra 10', Aganzo 73'

We went to Vicente Calderon with most people expecting our winning streak to end but we certainly shut them up with a brilliant performance and a massive win. The victory is even more important for me, since it was the result of a substitution and a tactical switch that resulted in our second goal.

Xumetra gave us an early lead, finishing a good move and another excellent through ball from Piatti that left just the goalkeeper to beat. Atletico had the ball and the opportunities after that, especially with former Rayo man, Leo, who eventually scored their equalizer, after a bad back pass from Nacho.

Atletico kept attacking in the second half, with Ruben saving some very difficult shots. Fortunately, their other former Rayo striker, Diego Costa, was having a difficult evening, but so was Larrivey. Our crosses were easily defended, Atletico was pressing us, so I decided that we had to change things. I pulled the team deeper, brought Aganzo in with the instructions to stay high and told my midfielders to hit long balls in empty spaces for him to chase. Piatti did exactly that when he got it just outside our box, Aganzo took it, made the run inside their penalty area and beat Guaita with a trademark finish.

The last 20' minutes seemed like 20 years. Atletico had numerous chances and they could have scored from a corner 5 minutes into added time, but Galeano cleared a header off our line.

We're still 1st, 1 point above Barcelona and Real Madrid. Next game, against newly promoted Real Sporting who are very dangerous at their home.

5.10.2014 Sporting Club de Gijon - Rayo: 0 - 3 La Liga

Piatti 23', Adrian 83', Galvez 85'

Three more points, another excellent performance and should I even dare to think about a place in Europe next year? It's only October and we've got some very difficult fixtures coming up but with the team playing like that I can afford to make big plans.

We started rather conservatively but I probably overestimated Sporting. They had their opportunities, mainly in the first half but the second part of the game was all Rayo and we could have scored a couple more goals.

Piatti, once again, was instrumental. He scored with a thunderous shot in the first half and created our second with a fantastic run and a though ball for Adrian. Galvez got our third, after Ze Castro's header hit the bar. Pereira and Larrivey had another very quiet game, as they did against Atletico too and had to be subbed off, but I can't expect them to play like they did in the first 5 games all the time. They wouldn't be playing for Rayo if they did...

There is now a two week international break, then we face 12th Getafe at home.

*10.10.2014. The day that will always be remembered as the day Andorra beat a full strength Spain 2-1 for the Euro Qualifiers. If I was Del Bosque, I would have resigned and quit football altogether.

I spend hours watching other leagues, results, transfers etc so I'm glad you notice and appreciate things like that too

19.10.2014 Rayo - Getafe: 1 - 3 La Liga

Fernandez 25' - Colunga 9' 62' 90'

I had a bad feeling about this. Not because I knew our winning streak had to end somehow, but because we were playing Getafe who beat us twice last year. And of course, there was Adrian Colunga. A little known striker who was playing in the lower leagues until 2008 and who seems to hold a grudge of some sort against me. He scored a hat trick last year in our first game and another one now. I'm pretty sure the only reason he didn't score another one in our second match last season was because he came on as a sub.

I tried to field a fresh team, giving Baena, Fernandez and Aganzo their first starts, but even though we equalized in the first half, we just couldn't handle Colunga. I tried to turn things around, bringing Pereira, Larrivey and Trashorras in and we hit the post twice, but nothing more than that.

Our first defeat leaves us 3rd on same points as Barcelona and Mallorca. Next game, away at bottom Las Palmas. They have lost all 8 matches, scored 1 and conceded 27. I expect nothing less that a win.

*Sunny is back after his suspension.

25.10.2014 Las Palmas - Rayo: 1 - 2 La Liga

Aranda 49' Angel s/o 67' - Larrivey 19', Sunny 84

A hard fought game but I expected nothing less from Las Palmas who were coming from a 7-0 defeat to Mallorca and were desperate for their first points of the season. We didn't play to the best of our abilities and had to rely to a set piece to win the game, but a win is a win and I'm happy we bounced back after our first defeat of the season.

Both teams had good opportunities early on, but our wing play eventually brought the first goal, after a good cross from Bertran. Las Palmas scored their goal early in the second half after a bad back pass from Sunny. We seem to make similar mistakes rather too easily and this is something we need to look at.

We piled on the pressure after the equalizer and even though just 6 of our 23 shots hit the target, Sunny made amends for his mistake and gave us the win with a close finish after a free kick from Xumetra. Our 7th win in 9 games leaves us second behind newly promoted Mallorca who beat Real Madrid in Santiago Bernabeu.

Next game, at home against Real, then 3 days later away at Barcelona.

29.10.2014 Rayo - Real Madrid: 2 - 1 La Liga

Ze Castro 55', Larrivey 61' - Ronaldo 3' pen

This was no ordinary underdog win. We came back from behind and deservedly beat Real Madrid, creating the same number of scoring chances as they did and being a constant threat on the counter. Real have every right to complain about a last minute goal that was wrongly ruled out for offside, but their penalty was a joke so I'm not bothered with what they have to say.

A day before the game, Ancelotti had told the press that we were a good side but probably overachieving at the moment. I really wanted to prove him wrong and I made it clear to the players that they had to give their best.

Our plan was obvious. Defend deep and try to score with counterattacks and set pieces. However Real got their goal very early after a penalty on Bale that only the referee saw. Ronaldo converted it and he kept on trying after the goal, but we defended well and their 8 on target shots (20 in total) show how good we were.

We pushed a little bit higher in the second half and almost immediately started creating half chances. One of them lead to a corner. Xumetra took it, Sunny's header was stopped by Casillas, but Ze Castro was there to slot it home. 1-1.

Real started pushing higher up, which left space for Larrivey to exploit and just six minutes after our goal Bertran hit a cross in the box, the Argentine was completely unmarked, his header was saved by Casillas but the rebound fell to Larrivey who headed it in. 2-1 and pandemonium in the stands.

We defended well for the rest of the game, Ronaldo and Benzema had good opportunities but so did Larrivey and fortunately we got a bit of luck in the 90th minute. Italian midfielder Poli hit a shot from 25 yards out, Ruben saved it, the ball fell to Morata who was clearly onside, he scored but the linesman had raised the flag. The Real players and bench were outraged, but the referee ruled the goal out.

Victory was ours.

*Ancelotti was clearly furious after the game and this was too good a chance to let it go, especially after his patronizing pre-match comments. I told the media that "he is a good manager and he did his best to give his side the edge before the match". His response was that he's too focused on working out what went wrong in footballing terms to be wasting time commenting about what I had said or not said. You mad Carlo?

*We're sharing the 1st spot with Mallorca who have just beaten Barcelona, our next opponents. Apart from the same points (25), we both have 8 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat and same number of goals scored and conceded (24-9)! How cool is that.

*Galvez will be out for 2 weeks after a groin strain during the Real Madrid game.

2.11.2014 Barcelona - Rayo: 4 - 1 La Liga

Messi 10' pen, Muniain 40', Alba 77', Pedro 84' - Fernandez 90'

I would take something special to pull off another performance as the previous one but Barcelona was in no mood for surprises and with two goals in each half they got the much needed win. Their cause was obviously helped by another early penalty that was too harsh in my opinion, but we were poor so there's no easy excuse for us.

Piatti was our best player and Seba Fernandez got us a consolation goal but what worried me more than the defeat was Nacho's injury early in the second half. Fortunately it was nothing serious.

Despite the result, Barcelona doesn't seem to terrify their opponents any more. They have trouble getting goals from anyone else but Messi and I can't see Gerardo Martino finishing the season as their manager.

We're still 2nd, just 1 point behind Mallorca and our next game is at home against 11th Real Betis.

*Some people just don't get it, do they? Cobeno asked again for a transfer and Jose Carlos, Rodri and Perea want to get more first team football, otherwise they want out. The fact that WE'RE 2ND IN LA LIGA FOR CHRIST'S SAKE does not seem to matter to them.

*PSG's money seem to have been well spent during the summer transfer period. They're unbeaten in the french league and their only defeat of the season so far was 1-0 at Dortmund for the Champions League. They got their revenge though, as they crushed them 4-0 at home.

10.11.2014 Rayo - Real Betis: 3 - 2 La Liga

Pereira 10', Larrivey 28', Bertran 36' Sunny s/o 87' - Chuli 48', Amaya 83'

It should have been much easier than that but a couple of defensive mistakes and Sunny's second dismissal of the season almost handed Betis the draw. Fortunately, our first half performance was fantastic and we scored three goals with Pereira having a brilliant game after quite some time, scoring one and creating another.

With Galvez and Nacho out, we had to play an emergency back four which didn't help defensively. Furthermore, Baena's lack of pre season training was obvious in the second half and Betis took advantage of that but they eventually didn't have what it takes to make a complete come back and didn't create a single goal scoring opportunity after their second goal.

Even though we have conceded 11 goals in our last 5 games, we're still winning and holding tight on our 2nd spot, together with Atletico and 1 point above Real Madrid. There's now a much needed international break and then we go to Bilbao to play Athletic who are 15th.

*Pereira scored 2 in Cape Verde's 3-3 friendly draw with Sudan. Also 16 year old Alberto got a start at Spain's U19 3-0 victory over Wales. He is going to be some player, if things go well.

*Aganzo announced that he's going to retire at the end of the season. Makes sense, I won't ask him to reconsider, although I expect a few more goals from him.

23.11.2014 Athletic Bilbao - Rayo: 1 - 1 La Liga

Ibai Gomez 60' - Aurtenetxe o.g. 64'

A hard fought battle with very few opportunities and just 2 shots on target for each team. Both sides cancelled each other out and eventually a point each was nothing more than they deserved.

We started the game well, with Larrivey missing two good opportunities from inside the box but soon enough Athletic took the initiative. Susaeta and Gomez were their most dangerous players however our defence was steady and Ruben in good form. Larrivey hit the post 10 minutes into the second half but it was Athletic who took the lead, with Gomez finishing a good team move. Fortunately it only took us 4 minutes for the equalizer which was an own goal, after a very good cross from Nacho.

There was little action for the rest of the game and I was pleased to go home with the point.

Next opponent, 5th Valencia at home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Machester City have sacked Pellegrini after two consecutive defeats in the Premier League. Diego Simeone said he would be interested in the job, with Athletic expressing their disappointment. Unfortunately for him, it was Marcelo Bielsa who got the job, leaving Sevilla after one year.

*Espanyol sacked Javier Aguirre due to their poor league position. I told him not to mess with me.

*Jose Carlos asked for a transfer. I'll be left with 11 players if they keep doing that.

29.11.2014 Rayo - Valencia: 0 - 1 La Liga

Pabon 31'

We played poorly and deserved to lose. Our fantastic autumn form seems to have come to an end and we're going to have to work much harder than that if we're not to throw everything away.

We created very few opportunities, Pereira was -once again- poor and we expected everything from Piatti. Valencia didn't create too many scoring chances either but they scored a good goal and defended well after that. Our best chances came straight after the goal and even though we had the possession, our second half performance wasn't good enough.

It looks like I will have to consider some tactical changes and maybe leave a couple of players on the bench for a few weeks.

We have one win in our last four games and are currently sharing 5th spot with Real Madrid.

Our next game is away against 15th Osasuna, then 3 days later we play Alcorcon away for the 1st leg of the Copa del Ray.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Managers come and go almost every day. Ex Rayo manager Paco Jemez is the new manager of Espanyol, while Malaga fired Bernd Schuster. Also Olympiakos have just sacked former Rayo manager Michel.

3.12.2014 Osasuna - Rayo : 2 - 1 La Liga

Loe 7', Sisi 67' - Fernandez 81'

Once again, our performance was too little, too late. Osasuna got a goal early in the first half and despite my instructions and the players' efforts, kept the ball and created opportunities till the break. Our defence had trouble winning the ball and if it wasn't for Adrian's and Sunny's efforts it could have been worse.

Little changed in the second half. We couldn't get the ball in Osasuna's box, Aganzo was easily stopped by their defenders and eventually Sisi made it 2-0. Fernandez got a goal back and almost won us a point, but his last minute effort went wide.

I'm thinking of resting most of my first team players in the cup. Alcorcon are doing well in Liga Adelante, but Copa del Rey is a distraction for a club like Rayo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Sevilla named Joaquin Caparros as their new manager.

6.12.2014 Alcorcon - Rayo: 0 - 1 Copa del Rey

Aganzo 43'

It was a tough match but we did well and we should progress to the next round, unless something really bad happens in the second leg. I gave a chance to some backup players and Aganzo won the game for us with his goal, after a good through ball from Fernandez who has been playing well lately.

Alcorcon did everything they could to get back into the game but their shooting was below average and we could have got a second goal from Perea but his shot went just wide.

Next game against 9th Sevilla. Caparros will surely want a win in his first La Liga game with his new team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Bad news from the head physio. Ze Castro tore his hamstring in training and will be out for 2-3 months. This is Galeano's chance to impress me.

*Malaga hired Juande Ramos. He was a lot of work to do, with Malaga, who are doing well in Europa League, bottom of the La Liga table.

*I expected Las Palmas to go down without a fight but after our game, their 9th consecutive defeat, they have 3 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats.

14.12.2014 Sevilla - Rayo: 1 - 2 La Liga

Alberto 72' - Larrivey 36' 45'+1

I expected a much better perfomance by Sevilla but they were poor, their shooting was terrible and our two first half goals were enough to secure us the win.

Caparros' side tried to attack us from their start but they couldn't get the ball in our penalty area. Soon enough they started shooting from a long way out and eventually just 5 of their 20 shots hit the target.

We absorbed the pressure and got our first goal from a Xumetra corner kick and a header from Larrivey. Ten minutes later he made it 2-0, after a good run and an excellent cross from Fernandez. The Uruguayan has started our last 3 games and has contributed 1 goal and 2 assists.

Sevilla's efforts in the second half were even worse than the first, with shots from too far out that usually ended in the stands. They did get a goal, but it came from a wild cross that was misjudged by Ruben and dropped in the net. We defended well in the last 20 minutes and came home with a well deserved 3 points.

We now play Alcorcon at home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Caparros seems to have lost the plot. He was asked after the game about a penalty that was not awarded to his team and said that the referee made the right call. I agreed, saying that anyway the decision was made and we should move on. But then Caparros changed his mind, calling the decision "an absolute joke" and adding that "we've been robbed". Calm down Joaquin, you're making a fool of yourself.

I've got one or two players in my shortlist but it all depends on who is going to leave. Cobeno, Galvez and Jose Carlos are transfer listed and they will have to be replaced if they go. I will definitely close some deals for the summer though.

17.12.2014 Rayo - Alcorcon: 2 - 2 Copa Del Rey Fourth Round

Juanma o.g. 27', Pereira 82' - Rochela 10', Juanma 43'

We had a job to do against Alcorcon and even though we dominated the game and missed numerous chances, had to wait till the 82' for the all important equalizer.

The Liga Adelante side took an early lead and we hit them back pretty quickly, with an own goal from Juanma after a dangerous corner kick. He made amends by giving the lead to his side just before half time and the second part was all Rayo. Trashorras hit the bar and missed two more good chances and eventually sub Pereira made it 2-2 from close range, saving us from the embarrassment of getting knocked out by a lower league team in our home.

Young defender Tendillo made his debut for 90' and 16 year old Alberto played his first 15' for the first team, becoming the youngest ever Rayo player.

Our next opponent is 8th Real Sociedad at home.

*We will face Real Sociedad in the Copa del Rey Fifth Round.

21.12.2014 Rayo - Real Sociedad: 0 - 0 La Liga

Our last game for 2014 was one of the most even battles we've given since I took over. 0-0, 11 shots - 3 on target for each side, 54-46% possession. It wasn't very entertaining for the neutral, but I appreciate the players' effort and the fact that this was our 5th clean sheet of the season, bearing in mind that last season we had a total of 6.

Seferovic was Sociedad's most dangerous player but his shooting was wasteful. Our best chance in the first half was a shot from inside the six yard box from Fernandez that hit the outside of the net. We were slightly better in the second half, with Larrivey and Xumetra each missing a chance but the final score was what both sides deserved.

We finish 2014 in 6th spot with 33 points from 17 games. Atletico are 1st with 39, Valencia 2nd with 38, Barcelona 3rd and Real Madrid 4th with 36 each, Mallorca -our next opponent- are one place above us with 35 points.

On the other side of the table, Las Palmas and Espanyol are 18th and 19th with 12 points each, one point below 17th Celta. Malaga are 20th with 11 points.

2015 promises to be a very exciting year for spanish football fans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*It's been a hard year for many managers in La Liga. Celta sacked Luis Enrique and hired Gregorio Manzano, Getafe fired Luis Garcia and hired Juan Carlos Mandia from Alcorcon and Athletic Bilbao sacked Victor Fernandez and brought in Roberto Donadoni from Parma.

It has been a fantastic 5 months so far. Nobody expected us to still be so far up in the table till now and even though we're obviously outsiders for European qualification, we're still in it.

There has been massive improvement in our defence and our away performances. We finished last season with just 4 away wins and 3 draws in 19 games and already have 6 wins, 1 draw and just 2 defeats.

Let's have a look at our top performers:

Ruben: Our goalkeeper has managed 4 clean sheets and 2 PoM performances, plus an average rating of 7.18. He's consistently good and I'm actually rather surprised noone has approached us yet to sign him.

Galvez: One of the best central defenders in the league in my opinion. 14 apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 PoM and an average of 7.29. He's our best player in key headers with 53 (15th in La Liga) and interceptions made with 121 (16th). I hope I can keep him, but it seems rather unlikely.

Bertran: 17 apps, 1 goal, 4 assists and our 3rd best player (9th in La Liga) in distance covered. He made me forget Tito and that's some achievement.

Sunny: We badly needed a player like him last year. 14 apps, 2 goals, 1 assist and 7th in La Liga in pass completion with 88%. His 7 yellow and 2 red cards are probably inevitable given his role and style of play.

Xumetra: An excellent team player and even though not as technically gifted as Bangoura, he's very consistent. 17 apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 4th in La Liga in distance covered and an average rating of 7.06, plus very good defensively.

Piatti: Our playmaker has 17 apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 2 PoMs, he's 1st in La Liga in key passes (29), 2nd in distance covered and has an average rating of 7.25. He had the massive task of filling Trashorras' boots and he has been doing admirably.

Larrivey: 15(2) apps, 10 goals, 2 assists, 2 PoMs and an average rating of 7.21. What can I say about him, he's a constant danger in the box and a consistent goalscorer that can perform against any opposition.

I decided not to add Pereira to the list. His start at the club was unbelievable, scoring and creating goals in every game for more than a month but he has been poor since October, with one or two exceptions. Fortunately Fernandez has been playing well, but I need Pereira to improve.

*It's just a few days before the start of the January transfer window and I've got a shortlist of players ready. Cobeno and Jose Carlos will definitely go, so I'll need a backup keeper and a backup right winger, but I still hope Galvez will stay and I won't have to sign a first team defender.

3.1.2015 Rayo - Mallorca: 2 - 1 La Liga

Larrivey 46', Pereira 58' - Castellano 31'

It was always going to be a tough match and to be able to come back and snatch the victory against a good team like Mallorca makes it even more important for us.

The freezing conditions made it hard but both teams played good football, creating many goal scoring chances. We started well, with some half chances and a scramble in Mallorca's box that almost gave us the lead, but it was the visitors who scored first with a wonderful 35 yard chip over Ruben after a dodgy pass from our keeper.

We tried to hit back immediately, but Larrivey first hit the post, then missed a sitter from the six yard box. His third try, just after the break, was better and he slotted home a good Xumetra cross. Our second goal was lucky, with a Pereira cross that left Aouate grasping at thin air ending up in the net, but the fans loved it and I was glad to see him scoring again.

We defended well after that and got the all important win that got us above our opponents in 5th place.

Next game, the Copa del Rey first leg against Real Sociedad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The club chairman called me on January 1st to wish me a happy new year, congratulate me on the team's performances and inform me that the board have changed their season expectations and are now looking to achieve a mid-table finish. Could we do even better than that?

*I moved quickly after that and signed our first player of the tranfer window, 32 year old versatile attacking midfielder David Fuster. He has previously played only one season in La Liga in his career with Villareal (22 apps - 3 goals), but he had 5 good seasons at Olympiakos with 94 apps and 31 goals, playing in the Champions League too. It seems there's going to be more deals for us sooner rather than later...

*Chelsea's Juan Mata claimed the Ballon d'Or award and was voted World Soccer Magazine Player of the Year, helped obviously by Spain's World Cup victory. Paul Pogba of Juventus won the European Golden Boy award.

7.1.2015 Rayo - Real Sociedad: 1 - 0 Copa del Rey 5th Round

Baena 61'

A proper battle. Sociedad were the better team, we suffered no less than 5 injuries during the game but still our mixture of first team, backup and under 19 players did their best and got us the win that gives us a decent chance for the return game.

Rodri, Fuster and Nacho were taken off due to injuries, Aganzo stayed on even though he was in pain and 12' before the end we lost Galeano to another injury and had to play the remainder with 10 players. However Baena's goal from a Trashorras corner kick proved enough for us and I was even happier after the match when the head physio informed me that there were no long term problems and only Galeano would stay out for 5-6 days.

All in all, a good day.

Next game, away at 18th Malaga.

11.1.2015 Malaga - Rayo: 0 - 7 La Liga

Sunny 18', Baena 26', Larrivey 31' 48'pen 54', Xumetra 40', Rodri 58'

Absolute annihilation. No other words can even come close to what happened in La Rosaleda on a breezy January Sunday, a day that the 21,231 fans and everyone at Malaga will never forget.

Our start of the game showed that we were in good form. In the first 15' we already had a few shots and a couple of half chances and 3' later Sunny gave us the lead with a goal that should be a goal of the season contender. A cross from the left was headed away, the ball fell to the Nigerian midfielder a few yards outside the left side of the box and he rocketed a first time volley in the top corner. What. A. Shot.

A few minutes later, Sunny challenged a defender, with Baena nicking the ball from him, breaking through unopposed and beating the goalkeeper with a cool finish. Malaga didn't know what hit them, but the worse were still to come.

A bad pass from one defender to another inside the box and Larrivey needed no further invitation, as he stole the ball and made it 3-0. A few minutes later it was Xumetra's turn, his first shot saved but his second blasted in the top corner.

Larrivey added two more after the break, the first from a penalty, the second from 30 yards out into the empty net, after a pass right into his feet from Willy Caballero, the unfortunate Malaga keeper. Rodri made it 7-0 from a corner and after that we took our foot from the pedal.

A huge and totally unexpected win that delighted everyone at Rayo and gives us a good 4 point gap from 6th Mallorca.

*Right after the game and as I was still trying to collect my thoughts, my phone rang. It was Perez, Pereira's agent, and he wanted an improved contract for his client "in the wake of his impressive display against Malaga" as he put it. I told him to go f*ck himself and went straight in the changing room to find Pereira.

-You wanted to see me?

-I think it's time you consider dropping Perez as your agent. I'm not convinced he's doing the best by you.

-It's interesting you mention this as I've been thinking the same thing recently. It can't be a coincidence. I think it's best if I let him go.

Well I'm glad we're on the same page here.

*Sunny's goal was voted goal of the week.

14.1.2015 Real Sociedad - Rayo: 4 - 3 Copa del Rey 5th Round

Gonzalo Castro 9' 33' 67'pen, Iker Hernandez 90'+2 - Fuster 1' 75', Aganzo 50'

This was a week of madness. First the Malaga game, then this. But to reach the quarter finals for the second time in a row and this time playing with mostly backup players was beyond my wildest dreams.

I had a tough decision to make before the match. Do I field the best possible team or do I rest them for the league and risk being knocked out? I chose the latter and fortunately my three oldest players plus Fernandez proved that in a time when 32 year olds are considered veterans, experience still counts for something.

Fuster scored two, Aganzo scored one and created another (he also missed an absolute sitter but it doesn't matter now) and Trashorras with Fernandez set up a goal each to overcome Sociedad who had Castro in form, but also chose not to play their first team and eventually paid for it.

After 7 goals for both teams, a nerve wrecking 90 minutes, a dubious penalty and many anxious moments when I thought our cup run would come to and end, the referee blew his whistle for the last time and we celebrated another great result and our fourth consecutive win in 2015.

Our opponent in the quarterfinals is Athletic Bilbao who are having another mediocre season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Another shock result for Barcelona. They beat Espanyol 3-0 in the second leg, but their 4-0 away defeat meant they were out of the Copa del Rey. How Gerardo Martino is still their manager, is beyond me.

*Mallorca got Jose Carlos on loan with an option to sign him for 250.000 euro in the summer. Good riddance.

18.1.2015 Rayo - Espanyol: 2 - 1 La Liga

Xumetra 38', Sunny 90' - Biro Biro 90'+4

Another dominant performance, another win against a good side managed by ex Rayo Paco Jemez and with Iago Falque on the left flank. We started well, with some very good chances but had to wait until the 38' to score. Pereira sent a cross in, Larrivey got the header towards the back post and Xumetra had an easy job to do. 1-0.

The second half was no different. We had at least 3 good opportunities to score and Espanyol's only threat was Brazilian Biro Biro. Eventually we secured the victory with Sunny after a goalmouth scramble and all Jemez's side managed to do was to get a goal back with seconds left.

Three more points. We're unstoppable.

Next game, the home leg of our Copa del Rey quarter final against Athletic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21.1.2015 Rayo - Athletic Bilbao: 1 - 0 Copa del Rey Quarter Final

San Jose o.g. 29'

I had the usual dilemma. First team or back up players? The second choice brought us here, so I decided to stick with them. And they delivered.

It was a match of very few chances. Two shots on target apiece, no clear cut chances. But we managed to score with an own goal from a Trashorras corner and we kept the lead for the rest of the game rather easily which was a surprise for me. However it was clear that Athletic's players were too tired from their La Liga games and we almost got a second goal in the last minute with Rodri.

Next game in three days, at home against Granada, then four days later the away cup game.

*Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez was spotted at Estadio de Vallecas, apparently watching Seba Fernandez. I hope he gets the call, he deserves it.

24.1.2015 Rayo - Granada: 2 - 0 La Liga

Larrivey 22' 26'

Granada was one of last season's best teams but they are nowhere near that this year and they were very poor against us. It was a freezing evening and I knew we had to strike quickly, otherwise we could be in for a tough game. And we started well, with quite a few chances and two quick goals from Larrivey that put the game beyond doubt.

The first goal came from a good team move and an excellent cross from Xumetra. The second came from a very dodgy pass from Granada keeper Roberto that was easily intercepted by the Argentine striker. Two goals in five minutes, game over.

We had numerous chances after that and Granada continued playing poorly but there were no more goals. Obviously I didn't mind. We had the win and we suffered no injuries on that frozen pitch.

Three more points, European football next year is definitely within our reach.

Next game, the return leg against Athletic.

*Just a few days till the end of the transfer window. There is some interest for Galvez but no offers. I hope it stays that way, but I probably should close some deals for the summer. A central defender is needed, I don't think Ze Castro will fully recover from his injury.

28.1.2015 Athletic Bilbao - Rayo: 2 - 2 Copa del Rey Quarter Final

Aduriz 56', San Jose 58'pen - Rodri 50' Fernandez 83'

Another dramatic second leg game, another glorious day for Rayo. We made it, we're though to the semi final for the second time in two years. A fantastic achievement.

It was a very even game and a draw was a fair result, even though we had a scare in the second half. We took the lead with Rodri heading in a Trashorras corner, but Athletic hit us back immediately and then took the lead with a very harsh penalty. They needed another goal to go through but a late Fernandez goal from Fuster's through ball saved us from a dramatic finale.

*We got Real Madrid in the semi final. A miracle is needed.

*Apparently Barcelona are considering Martino's future. I'm surprised it took them so long, they're having a very poor season.

*The transfer window ended and there were no offers for Galvez. Great news. However I closed the deal with Uruguayan international defender Gary Kagelmacher and he will be joining us this summer from Monaco. He's a good player, I look forward to see him play for Rayo.

*Goalkeeper David Cobeno signed with Russian Spartak Nalchik and will be leaving in July.

31.1.2015 Elche - Rayo: 0 - 6 La Liga

Larrivey 11' 45'+2, Xumetra 21' 55', Galeano 31', Piatti 69'

I could just copy paste the match report from the destruction of Malaga a couple of weeks ago. We humiliated our rivals with a terrific performance and an amazing 6 goals from 7 shots on target, four of our goals coming in the first half.

I was a little bit worried when Pereira had to come off after 20' with an injury that will leave him on the sidelines for 3 weeks but after such a performance and result there were only positives to talk about. We dominated in every single area, Xumetra hit an incredible 25 crosses with 5 finding their target and all Elche could do to stop us was give away free kicks or clear the ball into the stands. Their goalkeeper, Tono, will be having nightmares for some time...

After the demolition of Elche we're 2nd with 48 points. Valencia are still top and even though we still have 16 games to go, we're looking good for european qualification.

Next game, the away leg of the cup against Real Madrid. 5 of our players are injured or suspended.

*Larrivey's agent requested a better deal for his client. He was right, the money Larrivey was getting paid were nowhere near his value. I made him a good offer, he accepted and the deal was closed very quickly. Delighted.

*Sunny's goal against Malaga was voted goal of the month.

4.2.2015 Real Madrid - Rayo: 2 - 0 Copa del Rey Semi Final

Ronaldo 80' 89'

Pereira, Galvez, Sunny, Rodri and Ze Castro were unavailable, Real Madrid were desperate for a good result after their El Classico defeat but we still did our best and eventually succumbed to Ronaldo's talent.

We almost took the lead in the first half when Larrivey had a shot hacked off the line from inside the six yard box. He missed another good chance a bit later and a nice shot from Bertran was saved by Casillas.

Real had numerous shots from all over the place but Ruben did well and our defence fought bravely. Real were getting desperate as time passed by, but 10' before the end Bale found Ronaldo in the box, he controlled the ball with ease and blasted it in. We still had a chance with the score at 1-0, but then Ronaldo did it again from another Bale pass. 2-0 and our hopes are as good as over.

Despite the defeat, I'm proud of our performance.

*The chairman called me to offer me a new contract, just like he did last year. I was glad he did it after the Real game and even happier to sign it. With a very good chance of european qualification, the future is bright for Rayo and myself.

8.2.2015 Valladolid - Rayo: 3 - 0 La Liga

Ebert 24', Rukavina 59'pen, Oscar 74', Pena s/o 34'

I knew we would eventually lose our first La Liga game of 2015 but I wasn't happy with the way it came. We clearly underestimated Valladolid and even after they had a player sent off in the first half, we couldn't score. Not only that, but because of our pressing, our opponents exploited the open spaces our defenders left and scored two more.

We had more shots on target, we had 11 corners to Valladolid's 1, the same number of clear cut chances but in the end got nothing out of the game. I couldn't single out one decent performance from our side and we have to be careful against complacency, otherwise we could easily lose everything very quickly, bearing in mind that we have some very difficult matches coming up.

After the game, we're 4th with 48 points, as many as 2nd Barcelona and 3rd Atletico. Valencia are first with 51, Real Madrid 5th with 47, Sporting Gijon 6th with 46 and Mallorca 7th with 45.

I am with you that losing to a team with fewer men is one of the most infuriating parts to the game. Obviously, when my team is down to ten or (on occasion) 9, then I'm delighted when I can keep the other team scoreless. But, being up a man or two and failing to score is something that drives me crazy.

Archived