The Sammarinese Challenge.

Jun 2037 Club update.

I haven't been approached by another club in a long long long time, (possibly 10 years), but I have just been offered the opportunity to interview for the PSG vacancy, (which I have accepted).

I obviously have a very distinct style, (signing young players for the 1st team and developing HG players for the 1st team as well as playing a possession based style, so I have stuck to my guns and stipulated that this is how I will continue to play, (despite that fact that it is not what they are looking for at all).

I wasn't looking to jump ship to PSG at all, (obviously), but my ploy worked nicely and we got a Youth Facilities upgrade out of it as they agreed to the improvement if I would stay. :cool:

Our average attendance for last season was a record 44,4493.

We received a whopping £47.12M for Serie A TV rights for the coming season.

We are now the the 7th richest club in the World, (PSG are the richest).

We sold 88,103 replica shirts during the season and our merchandise sales totalled £39.34M.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im playing still but progress is slow as Im working away (meaning if Im not at work Im in the pub :lol:) and the missus bought me a PS4 for my birthday so Ive been playing that at the weekends when I get back. Hopeful of getting some hours in over this weekend though!

Follow the setup in the opening post, essentially you want to retain all players of Sanmarinese nationality, I think there is a cutoff in terms of numbers of players below which the nation won't be available to manage.

I am in my fourth season on FM2015 but as we still haven't made it to Serie B I didn't think I'd bore everyone with the details! Will try to do a decent update at the weekend once I've made it through to the end of the season. Still not done anything much with the National team, but a 4-1 friendly victory over Azerbaijan has me quite hopeful for the League of Nations thing that will start next season.

Had a cup run to a First Round away tie against Roma which netted us enough money for upgrading youth facilities, but generally it has been lots of high finishes, but no promotion.

You should get promoted to Serie A and then sign every Sammarinese players and they'll all magically become Serie A standard players.

In all seriousness, the way this challenge works is that the club side produces Sammarinese youth academy graduates. So the idea is that you get promoted as quickly as possible and start making money as quickly as possible to invest in the youth facilities to ensure the youth you produce have as high a potential as possible. That way you're bettering the talent pool for the National Team.

What's that about then? :confused:

Essentially UEFA's plan to replace friendlies. All Nations in Europe are divided into four tiers, and groups of 3 or 4 within those tiers. The winners of the groups in the top tier get to play for the title, and then there is relegation/promotion between in each tier with those finishing bottom of their group going down and those finishing top going up.

It means San Marino will get to pay competitive matches against some of the other minnows.

Having had an 11 point lead at one point this season, a run of no wins in 5 matches cut that right down to 2 points. I have 4 matches to get through this evening, plus playoffs if we can't hang on.

hey guys want to start this does anytone have and tips or tricks and how should be played

forexampe is promotion most important or playing more san marino players?

shoul i offer contracts too all san marino nationalies even if they arnt good

There are different stages/phases to the challenge.

Stage 1 is to get to Serie A.

Stage 2 is to improve the clubs facilities so that you are producing a better standard of player for the NT.

Stage 3 is to dominate Italian domestic football at club level.

Stage 4 is to dominate European football at club level.

Stage 5 is to qualify for a major NT Finals, (either World Cup or European Championships).

Stage 6 is to win a major NT Finals, (either a World Cup or a European Championships).

Stage 7 is to be ranked #1 Nation in the World.

2027/2028 Season

Kyle Mackenzie who was picked up on a free from Everton had an outstanding year picking up the European Golden Boot with 34 goals over the season. Papadinas has also retired from international duty at the age of 29, which for me is a blessing in disguise as he always seemed to come back injured from International Duty but rarely got injured playing for us.

The Club side managed to finish 2nd in the Serie A to Juventus who had a very impressive season notching up a +72 goal differential, they just outplayed all opponents including us. I have been making an attempt to start as many of my San Marino based players providing they aren't a significant drop in quality over the existing players. With both Fabio Sbravati and Daniele Benedettini on the bench I am looking at offloading Kyle MacKenzie to make room for one of these players, likely Benedettini as he is eligible for the National Team. I am not yet at the point where I will consider dropping Papadinas, the dude has been a beast for me and is rightly considered a cub legend alongside myself.

So far 5 players in the National Squad have broken into my starting line-up with a lot of them playing on the back-end of the field. Luca Beccari at GK, Adriano Somma at D® and Giancarlo Marcucci and Enrico Bonini at D© then finally Federico Micheloni at M©. They have all performed admirably and I will look to bring in more San Marino players were I can. I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of quality here and there, but not so much that I miss out on Champions League etc. During the season I brought Giancarlo Marcucci back into the squad, you may not remember, but a few years back I sold him for $4.4mil and regretted the decision almost immediately. I have kept tabs on him during his time at Juventus and he never received much playing time and only developed a little, which is a shame considering he came through the academy as a good prospect. When his contract expired I was more than happy to snatch him back up and plug him straight into my starting line-up.

NOTE: I don't have many screenshots of this season unfortunately. Forgot to take Squad, Table shots.

- This year's youth intake was pretty average, two players worth tagging for talent, one being SMR the other with dual nationalities.

- Enrico Macina could get a spot in the National squad, D(L) is currently one of the weaker spots in the team, although if need be I can push Giancarlo Marcucci out there and play another D© which I have an abundance of. I will certainly be keeping tabs on his development, but for now he will be playing at a youth level.

- After longing for Strikers for a while, I have had a few come through the intakes in recent years which is a good thing. I now have a bit of additional depth their, and Sergi Cenci will be another player that I will look to develop for the long ter, although he will not be taking a starting spot from Daniele Benedettini anytime soon.

- only made two other signing for depth, which is a result of the huge drop-off in talent in this particular intake. Neither Davide Tini or Francesco Muccioli will likely find a way into the NT Squad at the senior grade.

National Team Update

Fixtures

Best Eleven

World Rankings

Squad

After qualifying for the EURO's last season I didn't know how much better it could get for the National team, but they have been just as impressive this year as last. Not only did we play well in the EURO's but we made it all the way to the Final against Portugal beating Germany in the semi-final which was a result I was definitely not expecting. Unfortunately our team picked up a lot of injuries in the Germany game and Luca Rattini, Roberto Ceccoli and Giacomo Tosi were ruled out of the final aganst Portugal, all of which are starters in the National Team. Depth is still not a strong point in the team, and losing our Captain in Luca Rattini really hurt.

We still managed to put up a decent showing losing only 1-3 when it could have been so much worse with Portugal having all the running in the game. Ultimately I can hardly be disappointed with finishing 2nd in the EURO's, it is a remarkable result for San Marino and hopefully we can build off this result going forward.

After the EURO's we began the qualification process for the World Cup having drawn a pretty favourable group in Holland, Belarus, Norway, Kazakhstan and Luxembourg. The only teams I am worried about is Holland and Belarus to an extent. The rest I was fairly confident we could pick up wins against. The results reflected the same picking up wins against all teams in the 5 games we played this year, it is looking like San Marino may be off to their first World Cup!

Notable National Team Players

Just for anyone interested, I will post screenshots of a couple of my important National Team Players. If you want to see any others I took screenshots of the whole squad, and I can post on request (there may be a bit of a delay though). I have sorted the players roughly by importance to the team, which takes into account their ability and the ability of others who play that same position.

If you only feel like checking out a few of these players, I suggest starting at the top.

ST - Daniele Benedettini

GK - Luca Beccari

CM - Luca Rattini

CD - Enrico Bonini

CD - Giancarlo Marcucci

CM - Federico Micheloni

DR - Adriano Somma

CM - Matteo Valli

There are different stages/phases to the challenge.

Stage 1 is to get to Serie A.

Stage 2 is to improve the clubs facilities so that you are producing a better standard of player for the NT.

Stage 3 is to dominate Italian domestic football at club level.

Stage 4 is to dominate European football at club level.

Stage 5 is to qualify for a major NT Finals, (either World Cup or European Championships).

Stage 6 is to win a major NT Finals, (either a World Cup or a European Championships).

Stage 7 is to be ranked #1 Nation in the World.

Stage 6 is the stickler!

wow ok hahha gonna take me forever anyone got any good players for first couple os seasons at san marino

Luca Veratti, Amedeo Benedetti and Gianluca Draghetti are just a few of my cogs in the early stages that made it with me through the tiers. In fact, Benedetti is my Captain in Serie A currently.

It is taking me a bit longer to get through games these days, but I am still chugging along. After 10 rounds, here is where we stand in the 2023-24 season. Second on the table only to a crazy-good Juventus side who have been more than dominant in the last 10 years. We have become a bit more consistent and will be fighting for a Champions League spot again, but a title still seems out of our grasp.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Juventus   |       | 10    | 9     | 0     | 1     | 22    | 6     | +16   | 27    | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | San Marino |       | 10    | 8     | 1     | 1     | 24    | 11    | +13   | 25    | 
| 3rd   |       | Inter      |       | 10    | 7     | 1     | 2     | 24    | 13    | +11   | 22    | 
| 4th   |       | A.C. Milan |       | 10    | 7     | 1     | 2     | 23    | 14    | +9    | 22    | 
| 5th   |       | Fiorentina |       | 10    | 6     | 2     | 2     | 17    | 6     | +11   | 20    | 
| 6th   |       | Sampdoria  |       | 10    | 6     | 2     | 2     | 16    | 6     | +10   | 20    | 
| 7th   |       | Torino     |       | 10    | 5     | 3     | 2     | 26    | 21    | +5    | 18    | 
| 8th   |       | Lazio      |       | 10    | 5     | 1     | 4     | 16    | 11    | +5    | 16    | 
| 9th   |       | Catania    |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 22    | 19    | +3    | 14    | 
| 10th  |       | Palermo    |       | 10    | 4     | 1     | 5     | 13    | 16    | -3    | 13    | 
| 11th  |       | Napoli     |       | 10    | 2     | 5     | 3     | 11    | 18    | -7    | 11    | 
| 12th  |       | Modena     |       | 9     | 3     | 1     | 5     | 13    | 17    | -4    | 10    | 
| 13th  |       | Atalanta   |       | 10    | 3     | 1     | 6     | 12    | 18    | -6    | 10    | 
| 14th  |       | Udinese    |       | 10    | 2     | 4     | 4     | 8     | 12    | -4    | 10    | 
| 15th  |       | Cesena     |       | 10    | 2     | 2     | 6     | 10    | 15    | -5    | 8     | 
| 16th  |       | Cagliari   |       | 10    | 1     | 4     | 5     | 4     | 12    | -8    | 7     | 
| 17th  |       | Parma      |       | 10    | 2     | 1     | 7     | 11    | 25    | -14   | 7     | 
| 18th  |       | Roma       |       | 10    | 1     | 3     | 6     | 8     | 19    | -11   | 6     | 
| 19th  |       | Bologna    |       | 9     | 1     | 3     | 5     | 10    | 19    | -9    | 6     | 
| 20th  |       | Empoli     |       | 10    | 1     | 2     | 7     | 7     | 19    | -12   | 5     | 

I got a little bored after about half a season, but seeing the recent updates by Leonavich and Daymor has pushed me on with the save :) Congratulations on your progress so far guys.

On a side note, I seem to be having real issues with my bank balance being in the red during the first season. Did this happen with everyone or did you counter that some how?

Keep your budget low is about all you can do. If it really bothers you, arrange as many friendlies against higher oppositions. It isn't much cash, but it can give your younger guys game time and bring in a few thousand per match.

It is quite hard though and the longer you stay down, the harder it gets to keep you balances positive.

I can't remember how I did financially the first season but I don't think it was too bad (I was in Serie C for about 2-4 years). But since there is no Loan caps in the Italian Leagues, I stacked my team with lots of Loanees as I found they are usually slightly higher quality for lower wages in most cases.

Sometimes you can even get lucky and keep them as loanees for a few years and then sign them at the expiration of their contract. That's how I built my team in the early years.

Is anyone aware of a coded in cap on the amount of quality players from smaller nations like SM? Have 1 world class players and was trying to get a 2nd but after a few days of trying the best I can get is a Serie A star. Just wondering if I have the worst luck ever or it's not possible to have multiple world class players from SM

We had a record run of 15 games unbeaten in all competitions, and went 15 wins from 17 in the league, but still Juventus continued their push. We finally had a break down in the Italian Cup, losing two players to injury, one being our keeper after our final substitution was made. We also conceded a penalty as we lost 2-1, fighting hard to stay in the competition.

We then lost 3-0 to Fiorentina to give Juventus a healthy 8 point buffer, which we can drop to 5 as we still have a game in hand.

So frustrating to have such a great season unravel in a matter of moments, whilst the relentless Juventus never slip up.

We will have a tough time breaking through the roof of Serie A, but I hope we can keep up the pace and at least secure second place this time around.

Is anyone aware of a coded in cap on the amount of quality players from smaller nations like SM? Have 1 world class players and was trying to get a 2nd but after a few days of trying the best I can get is a Serie A star. Just wondering if I have the worst luck ever or it's not possible to have multiple world class players from SM

I do recall someone posting there being rankings which determine the spread of the quality, but not sure how this impacts in correlation to the improvements of facilities and the national team as a whole

I'm still playing FM14 rather than FM15, but I am pretty sure that there is absolutely no specific cap at all on the quality level of players produced by a Nation like San Marino.

The only "cap" is created by the clubs that produce San Marino Nationality players. If the San Marino leagues are active then they will usually just produce a lot of dross, (I have seen all of them produce just 1 decent player in my save). This can be added to by non-Italian clubs who have staff of (SMR) Nationality, (I have tried to encourage this but so far only seen one below average player produced by Middlesbrough in England). The rest of the pool of (SMR) players are produced by you. This in itself has it's own "caps", but this is just generated by virtue of the clubs facilities/reputation in exactly the same way as other players are generated. The specific (SMR) Nationality of the players produced is irrelevant. Whether they are Italian or (SMR) or DN or something else, the factors that drive the PA of the generated player are those of your club side, (which you can alter with assistance from your board).

I haven't played for about 2 weeks, (been busy bit loading up right now for a most of day session I hope).

I have a left winger who is DN SMR/ITA who is World Class. (Unfortunately he opted for ITA). (Actually he was World Class but after a recent injury he has been downgraded to Serie A Star and 3*).

I have a 17yo (SMR/ITA) DN M/AMR who will become World Class, (absolutely no doubt). CA of 2.0* lists him as decent Serie A player and he has a PA of 4.5*, (so lots of room to develop). Unfortunately he is just very "unbalanced" in terms of stats and even at this early age I don't think I can fix him. He will be good don't get me wrong, (and will be classed by the game as World Class), but if he was Italian I would have binned him immediately.

I have a 19yo (SMR) SC who will become World Class, (absolutely no doubt). CA of 2.5* lists him as Star a Serie A player and he has a PA of 4.5*, (so lots of room to develop).

I have a 17yo (SMR) AMC who will become World Class, (absolutely no doubt). CA of 1.5* lists him as a decent Serie A player and he has a PA of 4.0*, )so lots of room to develop).

I have a 21yo (SMR) DRC who will become World Class, (absolutely no doubt). CA of 3.0* lists him as a Star Serie A player and he has PA of 4.0*, (so still room for significant improvement).

I have a 28yo (SMR) DM/MC who seems to be just just just short of World Class. He has reached his potential and he is so well balanced that there is little if any wastage. It is this "wastage" that often shows World Class players of as imposters.

I have a 20yo (SMR) AMR/SC who seems as if he is going to fall just short of World Class. CA of 2.0* lists him as a leading Serie A player and he has PA of 3.0*, (so still room for development).

I have a 23yo (SMR) DM/MC who seems as if he is going to fall just short of World Class. CA of 3.0* lists him as a star Serie A player and he has a PA of 3.0* so he is nearing his potential already. Not as well balanced as the 28yo, but still not far off World Class I think.

Having a player tagged as World Class really doesn't mean an awful lot. I have seen plenty of World Class players in my game who I wouldn't sign even of they were available on a free. Centre-backs who can't jump are a perfect example.

San Marino NT Update July 2037.

San Marino have moved up 6 places to 11th in the latest World rankings.

Brazil are top of the rankings.

The most improved Nation are USA who moved from 70th to 28th in the list.

Wow. Pot 1 for the next draw then!:applause:

I'll put up a proper report later but I missed out on the Playoffs on head to head results. Only dropped out of the playoffs in the second to last match!Not too disappointed as my squad was a little weak. I've signed a new CD and a winger, sold the moaners..next season we should be looking for promotion.

A long couple of catch up updates after a long busy work break. Will break it into a couple of posts.

League Table 2016-17

The first season finished on a high, with safety easily secured in Serie A in the end.

Summer Transfers

Our summer business was not extravagant, with the loss of co-ownership deals in fm15 slowing my progress slightly. However, we eventually managed to do some shrewd business and signed some good young first team players. Brignoli, Bentivegna & Pugliese have been key to our season so far.

National Team

We were so unfortunate here, Lativa scored an 82nd minute 2nd goal to defeat us 2-0 and match our win in the reverse fixture. We therefore lost 5th place in Group D on goal difference. We followed up with a November win against Bermuda, which gives us momentum going into the first Nations League in 2018.

Our second season in Serie A was always going to be vital, with survival the key to financing the new stadia which has just been announced. Add this to the improvements to facilities and coaching and we have a lot of expenditure to cover at this time. As my previous post showed, we kept a relatively sensible budget in the summer transfer window.

Competitions

Serie A - We are all but safe with a number of games to spare. We started slowly but went on a great winter run again this season.

Italian Cup - We won in the qualifying round but went out to Sampdoria rather heavily in the First Round.

Youth Intake 2018

This year was amazing but so frustrating. I have 2 players worth talking about here.

Federico Mularoni - Almost a dream for me when I saw he was Sammarinese, until I also noticed he was DN. Has the potential to be world class and has attracted interest from Europe's top clubs already. exceptional mental skills for a youngster. He would have been amazing in CM with Volpinari! (YI-2015)

Thomas Mularoni - Again I thought I'd solved my NT weak spot here. Unfortunately he is also DN and will not yet play for us. Even though he is only good Serie B potential.

I will soon produce a summer update with progress of all of my young players development and our first ever nations league draw, as well as summer transfers and hopefully a good league table!

The season has now finished with relative success for this stage of the challenge. We have also found out our opponents in the nations league.

Serie A - The club side finished 1 place higher this season, which is great given the amount of experience afforded to youngsters once survival was ensured. Note from the table a surprise team in 17th, only securing their status in the penultimate game.

Nations League Draw - The national team got a tough ride in this one, with probably the 2nd toughest group out of the four. The faroes have produced a couple of decent youngsters, so even they are tricky at this stage in the save.

Youth Development

I'm delighted with some of the progress being made here, with 2 of the 3 youngsters really improving massively this year. View their stats progressions and season data below.

Volpinari (2015)

Francioni (2016)

Bianchi (2017)

Absent for a while, so lets get some updates in

Will have an end of season update soon as I am hoping to get through the rest of the season, but after 25 games, we are 6 points off the pace with a game in hand. Juventus dropped a few points when the title race seemed over, so with 13 games left, we still have a chance to make a title run, permitting we can hold our form as things start to get tougher for us after the January window.

Cheers for the replies, having been playing this challenge as a chance to develop some youth and fiddle with development and not take it totally serious, but have noticed a marked drop off in available talent coming through over the past 3 seasons. The first year SM became a Serie A team I tried to get a good player, a 170PA+ popped up right away, the second season I saved and reloaded a few times and got a 180PA half SM/Itie. Next season was a struggle to get anything full SM past 140PA and I settled for a 150PA after a thousands upon thousands(yes, thousand) of intake reloads. The last season I managed to get a 180PA full SM player almost instantly. This year it is back to dross, despite similar performance in the league, and the national team shooting up the rankings.

This season, the intakes have produced nothing remotely close to previous years, with nothing past a 118PA. If it is a hard cap of "quality" players for a small nation that's fine, I would garner 10,000-15,000 separate youth intakes would ultimately take luck out of the equation. Also my facilities have produced top line players so that's out. If there is an issue that resolves itself as the national team becomes internationally relevant, I can live with that, but other than that there was no difference during the season the years that I was forced to take a 150PA player and happened upon a 180PA the next year when luck should have theoretically been removed.

I guess I'm trying to save myself a lot of intake loading if there was some clarification that it is or isn't possible for me to generate a top SM player each intake or is it coded into the game that I can only have X amount of SM players over Y level PA. My mate has also ran into this same problem with the challenge and is about 5 years further in than I am with maxed out facilities and is having the same problems after a few brilliant recruiting intakes. If there is some magic key to unlocking a certain PA level each year for the intake that I managed to do last year unwittingly what is it?

2014/15 - San Marino Season Report

| League Table | Home | Away |

| Serie C Cup |

General

Best 11 - Assorati came in on a free, only as back up but he destroyed the division with lots of assists

Transfers - With the squad already being relatively strong, I looked to improve my defence, Ladero, Pisani & Fernandez all went straight in to my first 11 and did well, Villanova came in as a new goalkeeper in January and did well.

Manager Profile - Slight Improvement, but nothing noteworthy.

Review

Sorry for missing a couple screens, I'll add more to the next report. It was an ok season, when I started I wasn't sure how challenging Serie C would be. We picked up form from October however our home form over Easter let us down and we finished just outside the Playoff spaces (by head to head results)

I'm happy with my side, I could do with adding an extra winger, as we're short on those and if possible, a new CD partner for Ladero. I'll be looked to sell a couple fringe players too as our Finances are bad..very bad!

2015/16 - San Marino Season Report

| Serie C League Table | Home | Away |

| Serie C Cup | Italian Cup |

Key Players

Gianluca Laurenti - (MR) - Signed in the summer on a free transfer. Coto wasn't playing that well and was injured a lot, plus moaning a lot, so we sold him and got this guy in. He ended up winning player of the season in the league, as well as our fans player of the year. I played him on the left a lot as Assorati was still on form and my only other left midfielder, Poletti is getting injured a lot.

Andrea La Mantia - (ST) - He didn't get much of a run in the first season, however I started him in some pre-season friendlies and he couldn't stop scoring. He ended up playing most games and came second in the leading scorers competition

One for the Future

Nicolo Toso - (ST) - Also signed on a free. My coaches think he can become Serie A quality, however he has an unambitious personality and I'm trying to tutor that out of him.

General

Finances - Promotion saved our bank balance and the projection for next season is looking good.

Transfers - I wanted to get a new CD partner for Ladero and we did that in signing Federici. He did well, however in the games we lost, it was usually due to his mistakes. Laurenti came in as an MR (as above) and Djuric was a back up MC.

Manager Profile - Slight increase in stats. Need to get my reputation higher whilst I wait for the National Team's job to come up.

Review

Season couldn't have gone much better. We started by knocking out a Serie B side followed by a Serie A side in the Italian Cup, however Cagliari proved to much for us. The league was easy and we managed to put together a 29 game unbeaten streak. It was only after we won the league did our form start to drop slightly.

San Marino celebrate 1st World Cup. Oct 2037

San Marino have qualified for the 2038 World Cup. It is the 1st time that San Marino have ever qualified for the competition.

They finished the qualifying campaign top of the group and 6 points clear of 2nd placed France and were unbeaten through 10 qualifying games, (9 wins and 1 draw). The solitary draw was drab 0-0 away to Israel, but all in all it was a brilliant campaign, beating France home and away, and sticking 7 goals past N.Ireland.

[Edit]

San Marino's 12 games won in a row between 9th Sept 2036 and 13th Oct 2037 is a new record.

[Edit2]

World Rankings announced. Oct 2037.

San Marino have moved up 4 places to 7th in the latest World rankings.

Frustratingly, Italy are ranked just above us in 6th. As a result I have a number of young high PA, DN players who are still unwilling to commit to the cause.

Brazil are still top.

The most improved nation was Kazakhstan who moved from 160th to 123rd on the list.

[Edit3]

World Rankings announced. (Nov 2037).

San Marino have dropped 1 place in the World Rankings to 8th, (despite friendly wins over Latvia and Montenegro).

To make matters worse, Italy rose from 6th to 2nd in the rankings after a 2 legged playoff victory over Romania.

Brazil are still top.

Season 2023-24

30 games in and we are somehow keeping pace, only 3 points behind Juventus. Although we have kept our runs going, we just can't catch Juventus slipping up. 8 games to try and make history is looking less and less likely.

We are however scoring like madmen, which is a positive, and I feel it is finally time to let Venturi go and invest in a solid Keeper to shore up our back. We have 77 goals in our 30 matches, the best in the league by 7 clear goals. However we have conceded 37, which is the 6th best and has cost us all 3 points against Juventus, and a loss to Inter.

We are also still competing in Euros, with a comeback second leg win over Stuttgart to put us into the Quarter Final, which is luckily for us, against 18th placed Empoli.

San Marino celebrate 1st World Cup. Oct 2037San Marino have qualified for the 2038 World Cup. It is the 1st time that San Marino have ever qualified for the competition.They finished the qualifying campaign top of the group and 6 points clear of 2nd placed France and were unbeaten through 10 qualifying games, (9 wins and 1 draw). The solitary draw was drab 0-0 away to Israel, but all in all it was a brilliant campaign, beating France home and away, and sticking 7 goals past N.Ireland.[Edit]San Marino's 12 games won in a row between 9th Sept 2036 and 13th Oct 2037 is a new record.[Edit2]World Rankings announced. Oct 2037.San Marino have moved up 4 places to 7th in the latest World rankings.Frustratingly, Italy are ranked just above us in 6th. As a result I have a number of young high PA, DN players who are still unwilling to commit to the cause. Brazil are still top.The most improved nation was Kazakhstan who moved from 160th to 123rd on the list.[Edit3]World Rankings announced. (Nov 2037).San Marino have dropped 1 place in the World Rankings to 8th, (despite friendly wins over Latvia and Montenegro).To make matters worse, Italy rose from 6th to 2nd in the rankings after a 2 legged playoff victory over Romania.Brazil are still top.
Good work qualifying! Think you'll do well?

Sometimes things just don't roll your way. Up 2-0 and looking comfortable against a struggling Roma side, the ref decides to give us a fairly soft red card. From the ensuing play we concede in the 69th minute. We go defensive and hold out fairly well, until i cop a brutal challenge and get an injury to my leading front man. The resulting change leaves us light in the middle and up top, but we are still holding on. stoppage time is up and the game should be in the bag, except... The ref decides not to blow the whistle, never mind the fact that we have the ball in an attacking position 2 minutes past the allotted 3 minutes of stoppage time.

Roma then make, what can only be described as a teleport of sorts to intercept a pass no one was near to run away. Our defense manages to converge and stop the play as the ball gets into the box and we clear it, only for the ref to award a penalty! Nothing had happened. Roma scored from the resulting penalty and 2-2 was the final result. We are now 4 points behind Juventus, who have a game in hand. The title race is well and truly over now with only 5 games left.

Though mathematically possible. I can't help but feel robbed in this match.

edit: Juventus drew with a mid table Torino to keep the table at 5. This still gives me hope.

Good work qualifying! Think you'll do well?

I'm honestly not sure.

I would hope to get out of the group at least, (well we are ranked top 10 in World now), but I'm really not sure. I am lacking depth in a number of positions and the squad already seems a little thin in some areas.

I have just somehow cleared the National Pool :eek::confused::mad::o No idea how that happened and there was certainly no confirmation click.

GK's. I actually have 2 decent GK's and I prefer the poorer of the two, (at least according to the game).

DL's. I have 2 of these.

DR's. I have 2 of these, (and even 3 at a push so no issues there hopefully.

DC's. This has been a problem for years. I have I think 5 that I rotate through the 4 positions in the squad, but none of them are great and none of them are even what I would class as average Serie A quality. With a good centre-half I think I might have a sniff at winning something.

MC's. I have loads of players who can play in the middle. It is literally a case of who to leave out rather than who to select. Much strength in depth here.

AML. Just the 1 option here and he is getting on now, (he's 33 now), and replacing him is going to be nigh on impossible. He's actually not that good, but the player that plays in that AML position for me seems to do really well with my tactics so he is key despite his lack of quality. If he is injured......

AMR. 1 very strong option here and a couple of make-weights.

AMC. Really just 1 option of any quality here. If he is injured or unavailable for any reason then it would mean a central player playing further forward and out of position. The heir apparent is only 18 and really not up to it, but he is another option.

SC. We have 2 good options here and a 3rd who seems to be past his best now.

All in all I would say that as long as our AML and AMC stay injury free then anything is possible, but were we to lose either of them then we might not even get out of the group stages.

Sounds like a handful. Hopefully a good holding midfielder can cover off the weak CBs.Looking forward to seeing your world cup report.That's probably the toughest part of the challenge as the league side play in Italy, your success with them doesn't help other sammerinese teams improve and hence it's really down to you to produce 20 or so quality youngsters within about a decade of each other (if that). I'm looking forward to that part of the challenge.

Sounds like a handful. Hopefully a good holding midfielder can cover off the weak CBs.

I used to play with a (RGA) but as we have grown stronger I have dispensed with a specific holding player in an attempt to break the opposition down.

The club side now plays with a CM(d) and I have just noticed that the NT differs slightly and plays with a BWM(d). As the preferred player in that position for both club and Country is Volp (SMR) (2024), I am confused as to what my thinking was. We are unbeaten all season at club level, (it's early December), but we have won our last 14 games at club level and gone a total of 24 games where we are unbeaten in normal time, (we lost to Holland on pens in the EURO's). I guess that means that things are working with the slight change between the two.

Of course the World Cup is the biggest part of the challenge. It's what I have been waiting for in this save. Even were I to win this, I would still have the EURO's and the Confed Cup to win, but it is the biggest individual challenge.

World Cup 2038 Group Draw.

1st seeds.

USA. (Hosts). Ranked 44th. We would obviously love to be in the USA group.

Brazil. (Ranked 1st).

Italy. (Ranked 2nd). I really want to avoid them.

Mexico. (Ranked 3rd).

Argentina. Ranked 4th.

Spain. (Holders). (Ranked 5th).

Portugal. (Ranked 6th).

Holland. (Ranked 7th).

2nd seeds.

Denmark. (Ranked 9th). Obviously Denmark are the team to avoid and it seems strange that they are ranked as 2nd seeds with this lot.

Iran. (Ranked 35th).

El Salvador. (Ranked 51st).

Saudi Arabia. (Ranked 52nd).

Trinidad & Tobago. (Ranked 54th).

Japan. (Ranked 58th).Qatar. (Ranked 71st).Oman. (Ranked 72nd).

3rd seeds.

Uruguay. (Ranked 10th). Obviously Uruguay are the team to swerve from this pot in the Group stages.

Nigeria. (Ranked 15th).

Ghana. (ranked 25th).

Ecuador. (Ranked 27th).

Mali. (Ranked 28th).

Chile. (Ranked 32nd).

Algeria. (Ranked 34th).

Cameroon. (Ranked 37th).

4th seeds.

San Marino. (Ranked 8th).

Scotland. (Ranked 11th).

Switzerland. (Ranked 16th).Germany. (Ranked 17th).

Russia. (Ranked 18th).

Serbia. (Ranked 20th).

Bulgaria. (Ranked 21st).

Norway. (Ranked 24th).

last out of the hat, we were placed in the last pot and face this little lot.

Group H.

Ghana. (Ranked 25th).

Italy. (Ranked 2nd).

San Marino. (Ranked 8th).

Trinidad & Tobago. (Ranked 54th).

There is usually a Group of Death and this year it is no different.

Group D.

Mexico. (Ranked 3rd).

Saudi Arabia. (Ranked 52nd).

Serbia. (Ranked 20th).

Uruguay. (Ranked 10th).

I have no doubt how the seedings are worked out, (certainly not on World rankings). Answers on a postcard to FIFA at WeDontKnowWhatWeAreDoing.FIFA.com

[Edit]

I have just had a media comment, (post the World Cup draw), that Italy are the most successful World Cup side ever, having won it on no less than 6 occasions.

As they had already won it when this save started, and have only won 2 of 6 tournaments since, (once as hosts), gives me reason for optimism.

[Edit 2]

Haha. Sack the head of Geography at SI.

Pre-World Cup Friendlies to be scheduled.

Given our Group games against Trinidad & Tobago, Italy and Ghana in the World Cup, it would be advisable to think about playing teams from the same part of the World, such as Canada and Iceland.

:lol:

Continent rather than region recommendations, nice little bug.

Oh yes. 4th seeds are European, 3rd seeds are African and South American, and 2nd seeds are....... Denmark and everyone else? :confused:

Oh I hadn't noticed that Alex.

Is it worth me reporting this as I am playing FM14 rather than FM15?

Cheers Alex. :thup:

Club Update. Dec 2037.

We are still unbeaten but have just drawn our 2nd game of the season, (ending a run of 17 successive wins). We lead Torino, (who will surely fall away), by 9 points, and Napoli by an additional 4 points.

Our Youth facilities are about to be upgraded from Good to... Great.

My top goalscorer in all competitions is on 11 goals. The 2nd top has 8, and my GK has 7 goals. :lol:

[Edit]

Main job when the Jan window opens is to loan out some more players and flog a few too. I don't care where they go, but some of my starting XI for the World Cup, (centre-backs particularly), are not playing competitive football because they are nowhere near the club 1st team. Got to ship them out somewhere even if it's on a free.

[Edit2]

In concerning news, my starting AM(s) for both club and Country, Volpinari (SMR) (2029) is in a dreadful run of form and it is really hindering us, (at club level at least). It's quite a while since I encountered something like this and I'm just struggling to shake him out of it.

Recent form.

6.4 (1 assist)

6.8 (1 assist)

7.5 (1 assist)

8.2 (1 goal & 1 assist)

8.3 (1 assist)

At first glance that looks ok, but we are dominating most games and he needs to be doing better than that. We have drawn 2 games and he has been the reason we have failed to score in each game. Need to have a look at his individual instructions and try and tweak something. More key passes required, (or more goals from him).

[Edit3]

2 assists and an improved performance later has hopefully got him back on track, but it has just dawned on me that he is playing as an AM(s) as mentioned above. It's been a while since I played more than 1 game in a sitting on here, but I'm sure I used to play with an AP(s). When did that change and why?

:confused:

2016/17 - San Marino Season Report

| Serie B League Table | Home | Away |

Italian Cup | Squad

Key Players

Daniel Jara - (ST) - Signed in the summer on a free transfer (he was at the club on loan previously). 25 Goals and 17 Assists is all I need to say :)

Daniele Giorico - (ML) - Signed on a free transfer too, played well in almost every game, ending the season with 17 assists and 7 goals. Naturally fit means he started nearly every game this season.

Andrea Assorati - (MR) - Was supposed to be an impact sub, however when Laurenti got injured, Assorati took his place and never looked back, 12 Assists and 9 goals in 25 starts. He should, perhaps be in the ones for the future section as he's still young and according my coaches he has a lot of room to develop his game.

Players for the Future

Daniele Ottaviani - (GK) - 1.5 Stars CA and 4 to 5 stars PA according to my coaches. I'm considering loaning him out to a Serie C club for a season.

Giovanni Mularoni - (DR) - Not great at the moment but coaches give him 5 star potential, again at 18 he isn't good enough for my first team so I may send him out on loan.

Nicolo Tosi - (ST) - Managed to tutor out his poor mental attributes (unambitious) and he's now 'Balanced'. Lazio are sniffing around so I've given him a new 2 year contract and will loan him out for a season. If he can improve his composure I have feeling this guy will become our hero.

General

Finances - A good cup run + £2M prize money + the TV money and increased attendances (~1,200) meant that we're finally out of the red. If we can stay up next season in Serie A, we will finally be able to start working towards our youth set up.

Transfers - Daniel Jara signed on a free after 2 seasons on loan with us. Hahn came in to the first team as a CD, replacing Federici. Giorico and Pezzi also came straight in to the first team as a winger and full back respectively. Both did well, however I'm not certain whether Pezzi will be good enough for Serie A. Di Carmine came to us in January and scored some vital goals for us.

Manager Profile - Slight increase in stats. Reputation boost after promotion. Board finally sent me on a course at the end of the season.

Review

Our season started poorly. We faced the top 8 or so teams in a row and lost / drew most of those games, only picking up 13 points from the first 12 games. However we kept going well in the Cup, knocking out Serie A side Cessena on the way to the first round proper vs Palermo, whom we took to extra time and ended up losing 4-2. The money from that run was essential. There was a 12 day break in November, so I arranged a friendly against a local team and played my starting 11, we won 4-0 and then I chaired a team meeting, telling my players to crack on. After that, we only lost 3 games between Mid November to April and climbed to second. After beating Avenillo we should have taken the title too, however our form slipped away, drawing 2 and losing 2 of our last 5 games meant we had to settle for second place. We were only 4 goals from breaking the goal scoring record too.

For next season, we'll need to start looking for a new midfielder, Soligo is now 38, and whilst his Average rating is good, I don't think he gives us the engine we need. Last season my defence was rubbish, conceding 61 goals in the league. A lot of these came from my keeper deflecting a shot in to the path of another striker, so he'll be replaced, a long with at least one more CB. I have my eyes on a young Inter Milan striker too, however I doubt he'll join us.

This season has been the most important in the challenge so far, with significant steps being made in all areas for club & country for the first time.

Transfers

This was a tough one for me, I found some excellent players ready to take us forward, but had a limited budget while we wait for our new stadium to be finished for 1 more season. This explains the number of established departure and generally cheaper replacements. Only young Belgian defender Kerremans prevented an overall profit this season.

Club competitions

We were in a similar position to previous seasons at the turn of the year, however a marvellous run after the winter break left us pushing comfortably into the top half. You'll also see from my fixture list I have made the cup semi final for the first time, with Juventus sure to end that run over 2 legs! My growing injury list is starting to show here, with only 1 fit professional CB at the club at present.

Youth Intake

We had an important season here too, with a classy Sammarinese left back coming through to replace the ageing Palazzi in the NT. We also have a potentially world class Italian number ten. See the profiles below

Mirco Stefanelli - DL

Marco Giacchi - AMC

Facilities

Our new stadium is finished after this season, hopefully allowing me to stretch our budget slightly. It's hard to compete with top players on under 20k a week. All other facilities have had multiple upgrades too.

National Team

Good progress has also been made here, despite difficult circumstances.

In our debut Nations League campaign, we struggled with injuries in a tough group. Final day dominant win vs the Faroes was our best yet, with everyone fit and performing well. Here is the final group table.

We have finally been given a kind draw for the European Championships Qualifying, I hope to finish above the faroes in this one! We have also broken into the worlds top 150, peaking at 146!

End of season update soon to follow.

Archived