Set Up - Any real benefits to adding lots of View Only leagues?

In previous version of FM I have aimed for set up that gives 2.5 stars for estimated game speed. Not sure how accurate this assessment is but it seems to have delivered acceptable trade off between speed and scale of my virtual football world. for FM13 this resulted in me having playable leagues in about 12 nations (main european and South American countries) and a further 18 nations, mainly european, as View only. With a large database I was getting circa 55k player count on set up and estimated game speed of 2.5 stars.

I have been tinkering around with set-ups on FM14 beta trying to assess optimum set up for when I start a long term save when full game released.

In FM14 Beta my 2.5 game speed estimate reflects:

12 playable nations: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Scotland, Spain and Uruguay

(Top 2 leagues for each nation only apart from England where I have gone down to Sky Bet 2 League: giving 26 playable leagues)

39 view only nations covering all their divisions

This means all 51 nations either playable or view only.

Approximate players are 55k Small database, 58k Medium and 61k Large - Estimated game speed 2.5 Stars for all options.

To my surprise, when I removed ALL my view only nations, there was no change in players (still 61k) or game speed that was still 2.5 stars. There must, presumably, be some processing/speed impact of removing 39 view only nations - presumably not enough 0.5 star though!

Adding more playable leagues increases player count and drops speed so looks like I have (for my criteria) maximised my set up.

I was wondering if there is real point in having lots of view only nations, apart from being able to change them to playable down the line (very unlikely as I have already set leagues I may manage in to be playable) as player numbers do not seem to change .

Are there any benefits/downsides that I have missed re View only league?

a) Presumably scouts may still find players from outside my playable nations if I have no view only leagues but will there be any impact on number, quality of future regens?

b) Would there be more transfer activity by leaving lots of View only leagues in my game world making it easier for me to sell players?

Would be interested in feedback on benefits/downsides of maximising game world with lots of View only leagues complementing playable ones versus just focussing on maximum playable leagues.

It has an extremely tiny effect on speed and no effect on players loaded, one playable league slows down the game a lot more than 50 view only in my opinion but it helps you to decide which nations could be interesting to load later on and more data on how football in the rest of the world is taking shape. However, if you do like to look at what is going on, you can end up focusing less on your team and the game indirectly slowing down.

A previous benefit was that you could make "view-only" leagues playable without starting a new game, but obviously we have add/remove leagues now, (your post doesn't make it clear if you already know this.)

I think there are two benefits:

1. Statistics available for the leagues in question, (plus you can send players on loan and still be able to see their highlights.

2. Matches in these leagues are simmed using the ME, not the "quick" system, whatever that is. That should mean more realistic results.

Thanks; you confirm my view re speed impact of View Only. So far my set up that covers all nations as playable or view only seems ok speed wise on FM14 although I have not got beyond December 2013 in any game so far as experimenting with different saves. Plus side seems to be that I have full game world, even if some only view only; Main "downside" i notice currently is abundance of news items from around the world which i could, presumably, turn off/unsubscribe to if i wanted to.

Before the FM14 update i had experienced a couple few crashes, that I reported and uploaded game/crashdump files for. Although no formal feedback yet, SI did comment on numbers of nations I weas running...Makes me wonder if a running all nations as view only/playable increases the risk of game crashing due to bug in some minor league in nation I never normally run as playable or view only.....

Time will tell I suppose.....

A previous benefit was that you could make "view-only" leagues playable without starting a new game, but obviously we have add/remove leagues now, (your post doesn't make it clear if you already know this.)

1. Statistics available for the leagues in question, (plus you can send players on loan and still be able to see their highlights.

2. Matches in these leagues are simmed using the ME, not the "quick" system, whatever that is. That should mean more realistic results.

I was aware of add/remove league option but have never used it as I make sure I have any leagues i may be interested managing in covered as part of initial set-up.

The benefits you mention sound good although I would have expected noticeable performance hit with lots of view only leagues if they are simmed using ME?

Really? I have to doubt number 2 being fact.

I was under the impression the ME simming was when the match falls under 'full detail', which was limited to when it's a playable league..? Everything else is the quick system.

Number 2 is not true. This is one of the reasons why a View Only league doesn't affect processing speed to a noticeable degree.

View-Only is close to useless.

* The matches aren't fully simulated in those leagues, so the stats aren't in any way more realistic than if you don't load the league at all

* The game doesn't load more players in that league

* The transfers and other non-ME functions aren't more realistic either

The only "benefit" is that you can see the generated results and league tables, but even that is an argument to not use View-Only because being able to see all the randomness might ruin your feeling of immersion.

Number 2 is not true. This is one of the reasons why a View Only league doesn't affect processing speed to a noticeable degree.

Thats consistent with my experience of removing all view only leagues giving no change in estimated game speed....

I seem to remember comments on earlier thread indicating View Only simulation of results was highly reputation based with unrealistic AI team building etc and that it was better to set up game with as many playable nations/leagues that your pc can run at acceptable speed.

Beginning to have second thoughts on my set up for long term save if thats true.

Will try to find that thread again....

• Administrators
View-Only is close to useless.

* The matches aren't fully simulated in those leagues, so the stats aren't in any way more realistic than if you don't load the league at all

* The game doesn't load more players in that league

* The transfers and other non-ME functions aren't more realistic either

The only "benefit" is that you can see the generated results and league tables, but even that is an argument to not use View-Only because being able to see all the randomness might ruin your feeling of immersion.

I'd be more inclined to agree with this than anything else in this thread. It's mainly so you can track how teams actually do via the league table. It's certainly not random as the matches are run 'quick' but it's nowhere near the detail of a proper added league.

Archived