FM14: Standard de Liège - les Rouches Revolution

LilSaint

LXyuzpt.jpg

Standard de Liège

P3ls508.jpg

Welcome to the Standard Liège team thread.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any suggestions or corrections, don't hesitate to comment below!

Club History

J4BOiqf.jpg

Standard Liege, officially Royal Standard de Liège, is a professional footbal club from Belgium. They play their home games in the Stade Maurice Dufrasne, also known as Sclessin. The stadium has a capacity of 30000, thus being the largest stadium in Belgiums first division. They play in red-white kits and are therefore nicknamed 'Rouches' which is French for 'reds'. The club is also (in)famous for their fierce fans.

In most recent history, the club was purchased by the current president, Roland Duchatelet, for a reported 40 million € in 2011.

Duchatelet has, however, made himself extensively unpopular to the loyal fans of Standard. Largely due to a questionable transfer policy. Selling club icons such as Steven Defour, Axel Witsel, Eliaquim Mangala, Mehdi Carcela and not bringing in any new decent players. Fans have revolted against his reign, eventually resulting in his decision to sell the club. After this decision he did, however, prolong all the contracts for the clubs best players & even managed to bring back the lost son, Mehdi Carcela. Much to the delight of many a fan.

It is in this era that you are taking over. It's the dawn of a new age. Your time is now.

Tactics Zone

First off, be sure to check your staff. They're few, and the ones you have are ranging from average to poor. My first move on this save was sacking virtually all the staff & replacing them with better candidates.

Possible formations

LwBJJIp.jpg

PPwAjzc.jpg

k4JYOBP.jpg

Conclusion

Standard is a great challenge: they're one of the big clubs in Belgium but haven't had a domestic win in a few years. They have a very fanatic support, so expect to be worshipped when doing well, and cursed when doing bad. It's been a very turbulent time, but the club is finally getting back on its feet. You have a squad at your disposal with great potential, and a club with above-average facilities, so you can develop your players & have a few great youngsters come through. The sheer skill of Batshuayi, Carcela, Ezekiel, .. combined with the great mentality & drive of Van Damme, Vainqueur, .. make a well-balanced team you can enjoy for years to come.

So, how will you write history?

End of season 1 update

It's been a very exciting first season, that was a close run til the very last day. The league was decided in the last game, at which point 3 teams could still become champions. In a dramatic game away at Genk, we were drawing 1-1 in the final minutes, until this years new signing Oguchi Onyewu headed home, securing the league victory. Celebrations went on until the early hours.

Here are some figures & details:

The League

og2matC.jpg

As described above, it was an exciting ride this year. We had some memorable results, some highs and some lows: arguably our best result was at home against Club Brugge, winning 4-0. The most exciting game must've been our home game against Anderlecht, which ended 4-3 in our favor. Our weakest performance was us losing 1-2 from Waasland-Beveren.

We played an attacking, fluid 4-2-3-1 for the most of the season which resulted in us being the team that scored the most goals: 72. Alas, these attacking displays saw us concede 50 goals as well. Definately something we need to improve.

As far as personal records go: Mehdi Carcela managed to win the Golden Boot (runner up: Onyewu), and William Vainqueur was elected in the team of the year. Onyewu also came in second for pro of the year.

Worth mentionning is Batshuayi, who's had an extremely unlucky year. Pre-season he picked up a staggering 8 month injury & when he returned he got injured again for 2 months. He's played 2 games this year.

I've given youngster Achaoui some game time as well, he's played 10 games and hasn't disappointed. Picking up a very decent 7.4 average rating.

The cup

IHQUPmg.jpg

We only managed to reach the quarter finals here, losing against the eventual winners, KV Mechelen.

Worth mentionning here is our game against Genk. At half time we were down by 1-3, but then Carcela stepped up and scored twice, ending the game 3-3. If that wasn't dramatic enough for you, the penalty shoot-out ended in 13-12.

Yes, you read it correct. 13-12. 14 attempts a team. Safe to say this game wasn't good for my blood pressure.

Euro League

StJ4qHd.jpg

We qualified for the group stages and were seeded in a group alongside PAOK, Freiburg & Red Star Belgrade. We survived the group, coming in second after PAOK. For the next round we drew Rubin Kazan. We beat them at home 3-1 but lost 1-4 on their grounds. A mixture of complacency, fixture congestion & injuries. Sad, but better next year.

Tranfers

9c25QAw.jpg

Our incoming transfers performed great this year. Onyewu averaged 7.82 , Van Der Bruggen 7.16 & Lulinha 7.03

8Wxc6BA.jpg

Okay, I'm going to camp in here a bit since I'm managing Club Brügge who don't have a thread and didn't have one for FM13. I could make one myself, of course, but taking screenshots etc makes me think of strangling kittens and then eating them.

What's the transfer budget at Standard? Glenn Loovens is on a free and will do absolutely wonderful in Belgium. Averaged 7.75 in 24 league games for me.

Depending on what goal you choose, you start with a transfer budget of 3 - 4 m €

Good find, Loovens, I'll add him in the transfer targets section!

As for the screenshot taking, I recommend Greenshot. It's really fast & easy to use

Thanks, I'll check it out!

First season ended in a 7 point gap down to second placed Anderlecht, but it was a close season. Beat them in the last game and would obviously only have been a point ahead with a loss, it was really a nervy affair throughout. Drew eleven games and lost five, a lot of 0-0 in there which I really want to improve on although I'm very happy with the defensive record which must be somewhere close to a personal best in FM. Also, I had no idea there was a split, so had a good race towards an imaginary finish line(which I finished a point up).

Second season, and really struggling to get our noses in front. Sitting one point ahead of Anderlecht in december with them having a game in hand and the superior goal difference. Standard and Genk also putting in a solid performance this time around, and at the moment it's actually looking like a four horse race.

A word on finances. I'm blowing mine up myself in the hope that strong CL performances and pure ambition will make up for it come the end of the season(losing several millions a month now, but CL money still propably puts me narrowly +EV for the season post transfer window). Having said that, WTF is up with Anderlecht. They spent £30.5 million in the summer window, do they really have the financial groundwork for that kind of spending? Sold for around 10mill.

Also, a word on Club Brügge youth that you Standard guys can try to poach: Sander Coopman made my rotation almost instantly due to me selling a few too many players in the first window and needing squad depth. He's turned out to improve really fast, and is now a very viable option in the starting lineup, with first touch, passing and composure standing at 16 and technique and creativity at 15. He's a bit lacking in the physical aspect of the game, which some of you probably won't like in an attacking midfielder, but if you're playing with a static enganche as key to your tactic like I do, he's solid.

Come the january transfer window I'm selling the disappointing Elderson(190k signing from Braga on 5k wages so not much harm done) and promoting Dylan Seys to second choice left back. He's on 3 1/2 star potential and improving fast without having had a chance in the first squad yet. I'd say he's very promising.

Third mention: Tibault Vlietinck. Personality is 'Professional', improvements are pretty rapid and I'll be giving him first team game time really soon. More to come, I'm sure of it.

No one else chuckling over Anil Koc? No? Just me being puerile then. I alway try to get standard as a feeder club and kind of look out for them since Fellaini signed

I've actually misspelled his name. It's Koç, which is pronounced different. He's promissing though, when he signed for Standard in 2011 the likes of PSG, PSV, Liverpool & Dortmund were all after him.

Wow, as a US fan I'm surprised Onyewu was so good for your team (and scored so many goals). Wish he went back there in real life!

He didn't score that many goals, the Golden boot in Belgium is an award for the best player of the season, not for the top scorer (it's ambiguous I know :) )

but he really was very important for us, i was really happy i could sign him on a free transfer. iirc he joined QPR irl recently?

He's had tutoring from Cristian Villagra and Thomas Meunier, though he didn't really get along with any of them. Still, I'm assuming it's had a small positive effect. Also, I only really noticed him coming up on the january window of season 2, so I'm guessing he could have been even better by this point(two games away from finishing season 3 now) if I had bothered with tailoring his training from the start. I felt that the club needed quite a lot of restructuring in the first couple of seasons, so didn't make time for U19/U21 coaching/training and such until around when I discovered Seys/Vlietinck.

I'm having a great save this far, winning the two first league championships, but it looks like I've might fked up this last one. Three points behind Anderlecht with two games left, playing them away next. They also won the EURO League this season and have done a couple of truly inspired transfer windows, so it's a great rivalry developing. I almost hope I lose the championship this season, will definitly be good for my long term commitment to the save.

Not really though!

He didn't score that many goals, the Golden boot in Belgium is an award for the best player of the season, not for the top scorer (it's ambiguous I know :) )

but he really was very important for us, i was really happy i could sign him on a free transfer. iirc he joined QPR irl recently?

Yes, QPR. Always had a soft spot for Liege on account of how he did there last decade...might fancy trying this team out for my save

@ronaldo, if you do, be sure to keep us updated!

currently in season 3 myself, which is the first season that i'm dominating the league (so far..playoffs haven't begun yet, they tend to bring around a couple of surprises)

@reggaebwoy: good spot.. I just took the screen from the FM14 beta really.. would have to check if his DOB is still as above now the full game's released. Wiki seems to agree with your suggested DOB though..

Might have to report that as an error then..

Just finished my 3rd season, was a great run: we took home the league which was once again decided on the last day (fm14 seems to have a sense for drama)

we went into the playoffs with a nice lead, but as it often goes we blew it and Genk moved in alongside us. We went into the last day on equal points. We faced Gent at home & Genk faced Kortrijk, also at home. A few minutes in the game, Gent scored 0-1 and by that time Genk was already 2-0 up in a game they'd end up winning 4-0

I switched to a more direct way of play and luckily it worked out well, we eventually won 2-1. Taking home the league for your own fans on the last day, it doesn't get much better to me.

We also managed to reach the quarter final of the Euro cup, which I'm quite happy with. We lost to Celtic (even though beating them 3-2 at home)

As far as transfers go; we haven't done much. But i find it remarkable how many players you can get on a free transfer in this FM. I signed Bafetimbi Gomis for free, as well as Steven Defour and Thorgan Hazard. As easy as it seems to be to sign free players, it's hard to sign gread newgens apparantly. I've been monitoring a great great CB at grasshopper since he was 16, but i just can't get grasshopper to sell him to me :(

Once again I have to mention Achaoui, he's really turning into a fine LB.

For the next season I want to survive the group stages of the Champions League, so I brought in 7ish new players. A couple of young & coming defenders seemed necessary as the Onyewus of our team are getting a bit older. Hopefully they will gel in time for the season to start

• 3 weeks later...

Archived