FM14: Tottenham Hotspur - No Longer A One-Man Team

lgsp0403spurs-team-logo-tottenham-hotspur-poster.jpg

History

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, commonly referred to as Spurs, is an English Premier League football club based in Tottenham, north London. The club's home stadium is White Hart Lane. Founded in 1882, Tottenham won the FA Cup for the first time in 1901, making it the only non-League club to do so since the formation of the Football League. Tottenham was the first club in the 20th century to achieve the League and FA Cup Double, winning both competitions in the 1960–61 season. After successfully defending the FA Cup in 1962, in 1963 it became the first British club to win a UEFA club competition – the European Cup Winners' Cup.[2] In 1967 they won the FA Cup for a third time in the 1960s. In the 1970s Spurs won the League Cup on two occasions and was the inaugural winner of the UEFA Cup in 1972, becoming the first British club to win two different major European trophies. In the 1980s Spurs won several trophies: the FA Cup twice, FA Community Shield and the UEFA Cup in 1984. In the 1990s the club won the FA Cup and the League Cup. When it won the League Cup once more in 2008, it meant that it had won a major trophy in each of the last six decades – an achievement only matched by Manchester United.

The club's Latin motto is Audere est Facere (lit: "To Dare Is to Do"), and its emblem is a cockerel standing upon a football. The club has a long-standing rivalry with near neighbours Arsenal. Matches between the two teams are known as the North London derby.

Stadium

White Hart Lane was originally a disused nursery owned by the brewery Charringtons and located behind a public house. The landlord realised the increased revenues he could enjoy if Tottenham played their matches behind his pub and the club moved in. They brought with them the stand they used at Northumberland Park which gave shelter to 2,500 fans. Notts County were the first visitors to 'the Lane' in a friendly watched by 5,000 people and bringing in £115 in receipts, Spurs won 4–1. QPR became the first competitive visitors to the ground and 11,000 people saw them lose 1–0 to Tottenham.

In 1905 Tottenham raised enough money to buy the freehold to the land and became the permanent owners of the ground. As the club grew new stands were added. A new main stand was added in 1909, the East stand was also covered this year and extended further two years later. The profits from the 1921 FA Cup win were used to build a covered terrace at the Paxton Road end and the Park Lane end was built at a cost of over £3,000 some two years later. This increased the ground's capacity to around 58,000 with room for 40,000 under cover. The East Stand development was finishing in 1934 which increased the capacity to around 80,000 spectators and cost £60,000. The pitch was renovated in 1952 which uncovered a number of items from the old nursery on the site and one year later the first floodlights were introduced. These lights were upgraded in 1957 which required the cockerel to be moved from the West Stand to the East and then in 1961 floodlight pylons were installed.

The West Stand was replaced by an expensive (and far behind schedule) new structure and the stadium started its long modernisation process. Various developments and upgrades were implemented over the years and in 1992 the lower terraces of the south and east stand were converted to seating and the whole of the North stand followed to become all-seater the following season. The South Stand re-development was completed in March 1995 and included the first giant Sony Jumbotron TV screen for live game coverage and away match screenings. The capacity of the stadium increased to just over 33,000. In 1997/98 season the Paxton Road stand had a new upper tier added which included the second Jumbotron screen and increased capacity to 36,240 and was funded by a rights issue in 1996.

Minor amendments to the seating configuration were made in 2006 bringing the current capacity of the stadium to 36,310.

There are currently plans for a new stadium in North London, but nothing official is in the game.

Season Outlook

The past season was tough for Spurs fans. After having to sell Luka Modric to Real Madrid in August, the team started the season slow while the new players gelled. Things eventually turned around, but Tottenham again narrowly missed out on a Champions League spot. Then this summer Spurs sold star player Gareth Bale to Madrid, replacing him with a handful of big money signings. Paulinho, Roberto Soldado and Erik Lamela all broke the team’s transfer record. Depth was also added in the form of Vlad Chiriches, Etienne Capoue and Nacer Chadli. The team is also hoping that young players like Danny Rose and Andros Townsend step up and challenge for starting roles. The team is arguably more rounded than it has ever been in the Premier League era. But will the new signings gel quickly enough for the team to return to the top 4?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lamela is going to be the lynch pin of most our teams I feel , him and Erikson are getting a lot of assists and goals.

I am really really struggling to get anything out a lone striker though, Soldado has been horrible in front of goal for me , Defoe isn't much use and Damiano has 2 in 5 games.

I will update this as soon as I get a chance.

I got some really good signings for very cheap. Got Honda for 2.2 mil, Mason Bennett on an approach to sign. Tom Ince 6 mil, Jose Enrique, and Rodrigo. Some other very good youth prospects. I did however really invest in my backroom staff so I can start to develop from within. Mason Bennett on loan at Burnley is killing it. He went on a tear for a bit and fell off and I contacted him and told him to do stop feeling sorry for himself and get on with it.

Also got Christian Maldini, and Sakor who is supposedly really good. Haven't lost a game yet, but I'm sure we will and so gotta keep morale high while it lasts. Just drew Man U at home so that was good. Sold Ade, Friedel, and Rose. Kept Gomes as I think he is a fine backup and I don't mind having him as a backup to Lloris. Solid backup keeper. Also just signed an English talent from Sporting in Portugal. His name is Eric Dier and I think he is going to be something special. Going to develop him while I have all these other options. I assume at like 22 he will be ready to break into the first team.

I'll be honest guys. I've made a bit of a mess in my game. I've just reached 1st Jan and I'm sitting 7th, 7 points behind 5th placed Stoke and Newcastle are 4th with a point more. Arsenal are struggling down in 15th!

I've done pretty well against the big sides, but really struggled against some of the lower teams. Lost 3-0 to West Ham at home (realistic game eh?), and have lost 3-0 to Norwich and Swansea. Soldado started off really well but he was the only one scoring any goals. I changed it around a bit and now he can't score to save his life but I'm getting more goals from the wingers and midfield. Need to work some more on my tactics as I don't think we're fluid enough.

Blew the budget on getting Baines in because Rose is terrible and I didn't feel I would need to strengthen in any other area. Funnily enough about two days after getting Baines, who comes in for Danny Rose? Barcelona! Not quite sure what they see in him, but I got a bit greedy and we couldn't get a deal done. As I said, I'm just coming into January and Man City are sniffing around Vertonghen. His value in £19.5m so I'm bracing myself for a huge bid for him. I kind of regret blowing the whole budget on Baines, so unless I sell up, I probably won't be making any addition in January.

On the cusp of my first game with Spurs, Hull Away.

Haven't brought anyone new in, mostly because I haven't found a leftback yet that fits the part. Alex Sandro and Alaba don't want to come, Shaw and Davies aren't really an improvement on Rose on their current ability and I don't like a rightie on the left like Santon. The hunt continues, but in the meantime I'm hoping Rose can play above his ratings and hopefully improve himself quickly.

I've had a 9m offer from Monaco for Ade, who I listed for 13.5. They left me till Deadline Day to decide, so i'm waiting if maybe someone is willing to give me more. Then I'll probably get a young Striker in, maybe Timo Werner, but that depends on what my scouts can find.

Debating if I'm going for a left winger because we don't really have a back-up after Chadli there, only if there's a bargain though.

£26.5mill for Baines. Was the only player I bought apart from a Barca youth player.

Baines has 8.03 Premier League rating after 24 games, absolute Beast. Only got rid of Gomes, gonna clear out at end of first season, Livermore etc.

Paulinho had a broken ankle early on, and now his stats look terribly mediocre :\ Can anyone throw a screenie of his stats for them? I'll show you his on mine when I get home from work.

Doing well though, Semi of FA cup, Won carling cup 6-1 against Cheatski in the final haha, 2nd in Prem, 2nd knockout round of Europa, beat Braga 5-0 on first leg at home.

All is good! :)

Just Baines and using 4-1-2-2-1 formation, pretty much like we use in real life. Defensive Mid, two playmakers in midfield and two wingers.

Big Spurs fan and they're my usual first save but this year I've gone with Juventus to start. Been interesting seeing how Spurs go - they finished 3rd in the first season, won the FA Cup and lost to Dortmund in the semi-final of the Europa League. Dortmund are now managed by AVB, after Klopp left for Barcelona, and Claudio Ranieri is the new Spurs boss.

Lamela looks to have been their best player and won Young Player of the Month 5 times as well as European Golden Boy. Adebayor scored more than Soldado (hmm), and Kyle Naughton was first choice left back all season. Danny Rose was signed by Monaco in January!

I've made some good, young signings at Juventus who I'd recommend you guys take a look at - Tin Jedvaj (£8m) and Eder Alvarez Balanta (£11.5m) in defence (Balanta is a must have), Leon Goretzka (£9m) and Verrarti (£12m) have both been good additions to my midfield and a young Romanian from Steaua Bucharest, Gabriel Iancu (£6m), looks like he could become a world class number 10/enganche.

I know I'll get around to my own Spurs save soon enough, so will be following this thread keenly.

Had to restart my save. It was something stupid, not a gamebreaking bug or anything god bless, but I'd put in the wrong place of birth and hadn't noticed.

Now, the second time around I got past my first two games and my lord did I just have a "Holy shmoly this is why I love FM" moment.

Playing the EL Playoff against some unknown Danish side and we're doing dreadfully. They got a goal on a corer, we equalize in the 41, all square at the break.

Kaboul is exhausted, Soldado picked up a knock, I bring in Super-Jan and Defoe off the bench.

Go down 2-1 on a questionable penalty and I'm really sweating it now. And then Townsend's jets get warmed up. He goes on amazing runs, swoops past defenders like they're statues and delivers great chances.

Two goals and an assist from Andros later and it's 2-4.

I know it's just a teeny Danish side of scrubs (and apparently Edgar Davids' cousin), but it still felt good to get that win in.

Especially after losing my first League game 2-3 against Southampton.

In other news, it seems like Monaco is especially keen on our lads. Sold Ade to them for 9m and then they come knocking for Rose. Negotiated a deal worth 11m and 50% of future sale and it seemed like the perfect way to get some funds for an upgrade, but the deal breaks down because Danny wanted bigger wages. Another very suprising sale was Jordan Archer to Man Utd. I have no idea why they would come for him, but got a deal for his value (300k I believe) and 50% of future sale. Sold Gomes as well, so I'll probably look for a youngster as a back-up.

I've brought in Balanta (who caused the penalty mentioned) for 11m, Timo Werner for 6m and Zivkovic on a free. There's a nice young fullback at Estudiantes called Silva who could come for cheap, but i'm looking at either Davies or Shaw ahead of him.

Coming from my first two results, I'm fearing a difficult season. I think I was fairly lucky the last couple of years with my tactics working out and that might not be the case with the new system. I'll be praying to Blanchflower that I find my groove.

Well well well.

What a first season!!!

Tactic is a Fluid 4-5-1 Attack

Using a 4 (Wing back, CD, CD, Wingback) - 1 (DM), 2 (CM AtkPlaymaker, CM DeepPlaymaker), 2 (AML Winger, AMR Winger) and One up front (Complete Forward)

With my First Team choices being Lloris, Baines, Vert, Kaboul, Walker, Sandro, Eriksen, Dembele, Chadli/Lennon, Lamela/Townsend and Soldado.

Subs doing well as well, mainly using Siggy, Naughton, Defoe, Holtby and Capoue

My Tactics are the Attacking with the following applied, Shorter Passing, Retain Possession, Look for Overlap, Be more Expressive, Allow Wide players to Swap, Play Wider, Work Ball into Box, Run at Defence, Much Higher Tempo.

Bought Baines for £26mill, Dongou for £6.5mill.

Sold Obika to Leeds for £96k, Gomes to Leicester for a Free (who's become the biggest speaker about Spurs chances in media), and Adebayor is finally ****ing off for £2.9 to FC Lorient (have to pay him £46k a week till end of contract).

Won Carling Cup final against Chelsea..........get ready...........6-1

Won Premier League with 81 Points. Thinking it'd come down to goal difference, (final game at home to Hull and City away to Villa), Villa beat City 2-0 ha.

Won Europa League final against Galatasaray 2-1

Won FA Cup against Aston Vanilla 2-0

Completing the legendary Quadrouple!!!!! (ok not Champions League but next season if I continue!)

Vertonghen got Player of the Year

Eriksen got Young Player of the Year

Lloris came second in Golden Glove to De Gea :(

Soldado - 45 Games, 27 Goals, Average Rating 7.25

Lamela - 53 Games, 20 Goals, Average Rating 7.35

Vertonghen, 39 Games, 18 Goals, Average Rating 7.93

Defoe a brilliant 10 goals in 18 games,

Baines got highest Average rating of 7.99 over 50 games (worth every penny of £26mill)

Eriksen got 25 Assists and 7 goals in 45 games

Siggy got 19 Assists and 3 goals in 26 games

Everyone did well really, haha obviously! :p

So is the game too easy? Did I crack tactics so early? Are Spurs THAT good? Do I just know my team?

What ya think?

Sorry if I rambled, thought I'd throw in bits. Any questions I can happily answer :)

Well well well.

What a first season!!!

Tactic is a Fluid 4-5-1 Attack

Using a 4 (Wing back, CD, CD, Wingback) - 1 (DM), 2 (CM AtkPlaymaker, CM DeepPlaymaker), 2 (AML Winger, AMR Winger) and One up front (Complete Forward)

With my First Team choices being Lloris, Baines, Vert, Kaboul, Walker, Sandro, Eriksen, Dembele, Chadli/Lennon, Lamela/Townsend and Soldado.

you got your wingers and complete forward on "attack" settings too?

Not played my first pre-season yet, just been gutting out my staff and appointing 14 new scouts and sorting coaches. Transfer wise, Monaco came in for Rose at 8m, which I couldn't resist and then they took Ade off my hands for another 8m, which I was delighted with.

All of which leaves me short at left-back obvs. I've agreed a deal for Shaw, but I think I'll loan him out to a Championship side this season. There's an Italian full-back transfer listed for 1.6m (forgotten his name) who looks pretty solid and I might use him as a stop-gap in my first season. Another option is to just use Vert there for a season. Wouldn't like to rely on Naughton, I know that much. Now wondering how much I need to spend to get Enrique. His numbers are good too.

Also, couldn't resist buying everyone's favourite transfer saga Leandro Damaio, given he cost only 3.5m, which I thought was a total bargain. He's only 23 with decent stats and will only improve I think. If nothing else I'l make a good profit on him.

One thing I'm very wary of is the home-grown quota, because it would be pretty easy to sell most of the English players. Might go for Ward-Prowse from Southampton too.

To my mind, I have 7 players (Chadli, Eriksen, Holtby, Lamela, Townsend, Lennon and Siggy) competing for three spots, which is one too many really, but haven't decided who to get rid of. Tempted to sell Lennon while his stock is relatively high, but I think it might have to be Siggy. Could sell both and get Ward-Prowse with the funds because I'd like a young back-up for central midfield, where Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue will rotate.

I've made an awful stat to my first save! I always turn off first window budgets because I like to play (and for all the AI teams to play) until January with their real life squads so I've made no signings, but done a comprehensive job on tactics and restructuring the staff. Shame none of this has led to good results...

I've lost 1-0 to Hull and 2-1 to Southampton in the PL, and only went through the EL qualifier with a second leg, 120th minute away goal winner from Gylfi against Kuban. If this was real life my job would be on the line :confused:

Allllllso. Paulinho - dramatically underrated on the game or what??

I find it interesting that he's more of an advanced playmaker than a strong holding midfielder in the game. I think in Brazil he actually played more of a DM role or what passes for it there, so I don't know where they got that.

Also found it frustrating that Sandro no longer is a natural on central midfield, he's still accomplished so it's not that bad tactically, but it does feel awkward. With Livermore and Carrol on loan it leaves us a little short in midfield for the first season.

Honestly, I know this is cheating but I think on release I'm going to go in the editor and cancel BAE and Livermore's loans.

Edit: Also, I believe that Paulinho's stats are mostly based on his last season in Brazil and the Confederations Cup and not so much on the first matches of this season.

@ N17Warrior, Did you use Paulinho much? If so what did you use him as? Also did you play around with any training? Great results btw, Very impressive!!

I didn't! He broke his foot early in the season, was out for a few months and his stats were pathetic all of a sudden. :( So I played him a little as backup, and the start of second season I've loaned him out for the season to Lyon. See how he dose.

Tactic is 41221 counter - essentially Cleon's 2013 tactic mirrored to the right. Instead of bale being the main threat, Lamela is. Soldado plays as a false 9 instead of treq. Gets a few goals but his job is to confuse defenses. Paulinho doing well bombing from midfield BBM, so is dembele in AMC. Struggling to get the most out of eriksen and sigurdsson.

Sold Gomes for free, because of his wages; Sold Adebayor for the same reason, 7.5 mill. Bought Balanta, Shaw, Leandro Damiao (for 6.5m, see that levy?) and Nochlas Gaitan for similar.

Andros Townsend is underrated, obviously. At the back, I play verthongen at left back, balanta/Dawson and kaboul, walker.

Shaw has started well in the first team. Within one year he will be first choice, Within three world class.

I've restarted my save so still early in the season, but I am unbeaten and thrashed man u 4-2 at home. The real problem is middling teams like stoke or Aston villa. A lot of mistakes are made up the pitch and all of those teams have players who can punish you. Morale is good so we'll see if a gelled team puts paid to that.

£10.5M (£2.5M upfront & £8M over 48 months)

Really? Wow, they were asking like 40m for him on my save. Probably the high end to drive my price up but still, I don't think I would have gotten to 10.5

I love Alex Sandro, he was great for me on FM13, crossed the ball to Lewandowski for the winning goal in the CL final.

Really? Wow, they were asking like 40m for him on my save. Probably the high end to drive my price up but still, I don't think I would have gotten to 10.5

I love Alex Sandro, he was great for me on FM13, crossed the ball to Lewandowski for the winning goal in the CL final.

Hes never worth £40M, they must be crazy! What team were you?

Just started a new Spurs game. I've probably butchered the squad in most of your eyes, but I'm loving the squad building side of FM14 and the core Spurs squad is a great canvas!

In:

Januzaj <10m

Valencia £10.5m

Benteke £18.5m

Goretzka £8.5ish

Balanta £6ish

Smalling £9ish

Luke Shaw £14.5m

Werner - £4.7m

Out:

Eriksen - 16.5 - Chelsea

Lamela - 12m - Man Utd

Adebayor - 8m - Monaco

Soldado - 9m - Arsenal

Sigurdson - Everton - 7.5m

Chadli - Villa - <5m

Gone with a conventional 442/4141 with genuine width provided by Valencia, Lennon, Rose and (Mcevoy?)

Sandro and Capoue as Anchors/BWM in 4141 for away games

Paulinho and Dembele as B2B

Goretzka and (retrained MC) Holtby as Adv Plm

Benteke TM/CF with Defoe and Werner as Adv F or Poacher

Option of Januzaj on the bench to drop into the hole and change things up

Other than that it's just been a back room overhaul. Poached a Head of Youth Development from one of the middling Italian teams as my Ass Man. He's got 19s and 20s in almost everything! He is on £19k per week though!

How do you get rid of Adebayor?!

Lamela is great at dribbling but his finishing is terrible!

Andros Townsend, IMO, should be a bit better but he has scored 8 goals in 13 games for me.

Where do you play Townsend? Who is wide behind him, and what role do they have?

As for ade, I sold him day 1 of my save, early July, by offering him for his valuation, 7.5 mill, transfer listing him, and placing him in the u21s. Nothing more. I think he went to Monaco. Wherever he went they must have forked out the wages, because he was on silly money. I cannot stand the dude, I always sell him. For me s1 is about using the squad you have, subject to a couple of bargains / youth signings. Shaw is that you n spades. Damiao I signed because we certainly would at a few million IRL.

Just started a new Spurs game. I've probably butchered the squad in most of your eyes, but I'm loving the squad building side of FM14 and the core Spurs squad is a great canvas!

In:

Januzaj <10m

Valencia £10.5m

Benteke £18.5m

Goretzka £8.5ish

Balanta £6ish

Smalling £9ish

Luke Shaw £14.5m

Werner - £4.7m

Out:

Eriksen - 16.5 - Chelsea

Lamela - 12m - Man Utd

Adebayor - 8m - Monaco

Soldado - 9m - Arsenal

Chadli - Villa - <5m

Gone with a conventional 442/4141 with genuine width provided by Valencia, Lennon, Rose and (Mcevoy?)

Other than that it's just been a back room overhaul. Poached a Head of Youth Development from one of the middling Italian teams as my Ass Man. He's got 19s and 20s in almost everything! He is on £19k per week though!

Butchered the squad is an understatement! That's a cull!

Eriksen, Lamela and Soldado should not be sold!

In:

Januzaj <10m

Valencia £10.5m

Benteke £18.5m

Goretzka £8.5ish

Balanta £6ish

Smalling £9ish

Luke Shaw £14.5m

Werner - £4.7m

Out:

Eriksen - 16.5 - Chelsea

Lamela - 12m - Man Utd

Adebayor - 8m - Monaco

Soldado - 9m - Arsenal

Chadli - Villa - <5m

Oh dear lord......

What the hell????

Just for the info. Lamela and Eriksen for such awful money to Premiership title contenders. As well as Bobby. Just shows very poor judgement.

I've played one season. Bobby is worth 20 mill. Eriksen and Lamela are over 30mill now, as is Sandro.

What a waste. Restart.

Siggy and Chadli are good back up players, especially as they play in several positions well.

Adebayor is the only one I give you credit on!!! haha.

Valencia - *****

Januzaj???? Someone got a boner over ONE Manure game.

Smalling???? GIVE ME A BREAK!

I am devastated that you even wrote in this thread!!!!

:(

Fair enough you can do what you wish. But you bought a tear to my eye.....

In:

Januzaj <10m

Valencia £10.5m

Benteke £18.5m

Goretzka £8.5ish

Balanta £6ish

Smalling £9ish

Luke Shaw £14.5m

Werner - £4.7m

Out:

Eriksen - 16.5 - Chelsea

Lamela - 12m - Man Utd

Adebayor - 8m - Monaco

Soldado - 9m - Arsenal

Chadli - Villa - <5m

I'm sorry, but you got rid of a lot of good players for little value too. Lamela and Eriksen are high potential players so flogging them for your prices isn't great at all. Soldado's a very good striker and selling him to your arch rivals isn't smart or realistic. I don't want

to sound like an arse, but you basically just ruined the squad.

Feel free to start posting. I will fill in the above posts over the weekend. Just started my beta save yesterday. Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing. COYS!

Do you know when you're likely to fill out the rest of the OPs? I'm really looking forward to seeing them!

Really struggling to get into my stride her, had an average pre-season (all marginal wins). But lost my two opening league games and am struggling to pinpoint why.

Same happened to me, and I never really got in to my stride - I ended up finishing 11th in my first season and saving my job only by some fast talking in an end of season meeting with the board.

It's the worst I've done in a first season with Spurs on a new FM for years, but I actually found it really refreshing and I'm excited about the challenge it has posed me. I've had to sell Defoe, Sigurdsson and Dembele after falling out with them when they requested transfers due to our under achievement and had big bids for Paulinho and Holtby (who were both rubbish for me, as well as shifting the likes of BAE, Livermore, Falque, Adam Smith, and Prutchard) so I've restructured.

With the money I received for all the aforementioned I bought Thiago (to join Lamela and Eriksen in a 3 behind a striker), Alesandro Florenzi (looks similar to Dembele, maybe better, and cost £8m less than I got for Mousa) and Jackson Martinez (joining Leon Goretzka, Leighton Baines, and Eder Alvarez Balanta who I picked up in January). I let Gomes and Friedel leave at the end of their contracts and picked up Kasper Schmeichel and Declan Rudd on frees to cover for Hugo - with both of them combined being paid half what either one of the other reserve keepers got last year). I'm also going to include Tommy Carroll and Harry Kane in the first team sqaud this season - three games in and 9 points on the board :)

Archived