Job Security - odds

It could be odds on you becoming the next manager?

I thought that too, but when I loaded my save the odds at Bayern were 6/4 and at Inverness 5000/1. The Bayern odds have really thrown me, I can't imagine that's the odds of Guardiola getting sacked, without even playing a game, and I can't see me getting better odds to get the Bayern job when Inverness don't even have a manager.

No they don't. My latest save lists 90% of the teams as 50/1.

perhaps "50 to 1" is the "field odds", when a team isn't considered a contender they assign them "field odds" as a chance of winning. At least that's how they do it when the bookies set odds for tournaments/playoffs here in America. That way, you can bet on an "also ran" but if they win, there's not a tremendous payout, like the time Phil Mickelson put down $1000 on the Baltimore Ravens one year, when they were 200-1 to win the Super Bowl at the start of the season, and they won it, making him a very nice chunk of change.

That would be fair enough if the likes of Man City weren't 50/1, along with Aston Villa who are also 50/1.

I just don't get the odds at all. On first loading the save Guardiola and Bayern Munich were 6/4, whereas Paul Lambert and Aston Villa were 150/1, so that can't be odds on being sacked because it would imply that, without playing a league game, Guardiola is more likely to be sacked than Paul Lambert. A few games later and both are sitting at 50/1, which couldn't be odds on winning the league because it would imply that Villa have as much chance of winning the Premier League as Bayern do winning the Bundesliga. It can't be odds on you getting a job, because at the start of the game all of the vacant positions are 5,000/1, which implies you have no chance of getting them, when we all know that you're going to get one of them.

I'm not mentioning it in the bugs forum because there's probably a reasonable explanation, i'd just love to know what it is.

Its 100% odds of winning he title. I start unemployed, just signed with a 2nd div Uruguay side with Media Prediction of coming first. Checked all 2nd Div teams in Uruaguay and the odds are pretty much based on media prediction of winning title check it out.

Its 100% odds of winning he title. I start unemployed, just signed with a 2nd div Uruguay side with Media Prediction of coming first. Checked all 2nd Div teams in Uruaguay and the odds are pretty much based on media prediction of winning title check it out.

It sounds like you are thinking of a different kind of odds.

Are you looking at the job security page? Or the media prediction page?

Seems to be odds of next getting the sack. Order by division, and then sub-order by job status. You'll notice that for teams with managers, the odds correlate directly with job status. Someone with a job status of 'Precarious' or 'Very Insecure' will be odds-on and most others who are safe will have 500/1+ odds.

Only thing I'm confused with is when there is no manager...seem to get some really random odds.

It's 100% not odds of winning the title. If it were then Barcelona and Real Madrid are 200-1 to win La Liga on my save i.e. no hope whatsoever.

As the season has progressed it seems to have levelled out and the issues that I saw at the start seem to be no more, the odds now make sense in terms of odds to be sacked.

What's the deal with the vacant team odds, though? Are they odds on us getting the job? E.g. i'm an ok rep and it's showing 1/12 for Brechin and 13/1 for Liverpool.

Something that has always bothered me about FM is you could win the treble one year and be 90% into your job security as untouchable and then the new campaign starts and you're back to 50% or whatever starting all over... not very realistic... Especially if you do great a few years in a row and you still end up going back to the middle over and over.

I'm thinking it's more to do with the odds of you becoming the next manager at that club. But I agree that it needs some sort of clarification.

Can't see the odds been for you becoming the next manager on a previous Beta save I started unemployed and got the Stockport job with a Sunday League rep in the Skrill North - the odds of me getting the job where 5000-1. That means I was least favourite for it by the way of the odds - the way I understand it is that if someone bets £1 they will get £5000 back if it comes in plus £1 stake money (5000/1 x £1 = £5000 + £1 stake total winnings £5001 - making me least favourite as the bookies would loose a fortune if it came in. Bookies would generally put low odds on favourites so they don't have to pay alot out and loose money

However with the league been the lowest and my rep bee the lowest I should actually be one of the favourites for the job - hence me getting it and everyone who bet on it winning a fortune lol.

To me if it is correct that the odds are for you to become the next manager they are the wrong way round.

Another example is that the Quatar and South Korea National managers jobs are available quoting at 10-1 that would mean of somebody put £1 on they would get 10/1 x £1 = £10 + £1 stake = total winning £11 making me a favourite for the job as bookies wont want to pay out much if your favourite - not possible imo to be more favourite for a national team than a non league team with Sunday League rep

SI can you please clarify what the odds mean as there is alot of confusion.

You understand it correctly, wazza, and i've seen a number of instances similar to yours. Me being untouchable at lowly Olhanense and listed as 5,000-1 for Fulham, but 6-4 for Liverpool. Same goes for odds of being sacked, at the very start of the game the top teams are 6-4 etc, which means their manager is odds on for the chop.

It's not a major thing, it's just really irritating not knowing what they mean. If SI said they were slightly off and not working 100% I wouldn't even be bothered, certainly not as bothered as I am by not understanding their purpose :p

You understand it correctly, wazza, and i've seen a number of instances similar to yours. Me being untouchable at lowly Olhanense and listed as 5,000-1 for Fulham, but 6-4 for Liverpool. Same goes for odds of being sacked, at the very start of the game the top teams are 6-4 etc, which means their manager is odds on for the chop.

It's not a major thing, it's just really irritating not knowing what they mean. If SI said they were slightly off and not working 100% I wouldn't even be bothered, certainly not as bothered as I am by not understanding their purpose :p

I've copied my post in the bugs forum as even though I dont do alot of betting I had a look at a couple of betting sites to explain how odds and payments are made as I thought it was wrong but wasn't 100% until I checked - If it is for you to become the next manager it is the wrong way round imo from what I understand

Archived