FM14: Manchester United FC Thread - Dawn of a New Evra!

batty1

Just started as United with the summer transfer window transfers done. Decided on the following First XI, after bring in Khedira and Bartra:

-----------------De Gea------------------

--Rafael----Jones------Bartra------Shaw---

-------------------Blind---------------------

------------Khedira-----Rooney------------

-------Di Maria-----------------Mata---------

-----------------Falcao/RVP-------------------

Very difficult to find space for the attacking players. Was difficult having to leave out Rojo, Herrera, Januzaj and one of Falcao and RVP, but there's so much attacking talent, it was always going to be difficult to fit them all in. Don't have the easiest start to the season though, with the visit of City to Old Trafford, but with fixtures against Hull and Stoke to follow, we should have a reasonable start.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The curse of City away strikes again

uUXvdaq.png

Feel like I have been violated.

I have played them 3 times this save (with Manchester United) and each time I've not had a sniff. Every game has been at the Etihad. This time I set up to stop them playing and hit them on the counter. Alas the Di Maria show occurred and I'm out of the FA cup.

The curse of City away strikes again

uUXvdaq.png

Feel like I have been violated.

I have played them 3 times this save (with Manchester United) and each time I've not had a sniff. Every game has been at the Etihad. This time I set up to stop them playing and hit them on the counter. Alas the Di Maria show occurred and I'm out of the FA cup.

I would put a self-resignation to apologize fans after 3 defeats to city in a season

I would put a self-resignation to apologize fans after 3 defeats to city in a season

sJ3mBSI.png

Mustered up this result which I'm pretty proud of.

The signing of an aging Thiago Silva on loan has not been the revelation at the back I was hoping for. After a few good games in February his form has slumped and is now making basic mistakes. Really an area I need to sort out. Just like real life.

35T3qc1.png

Form has dipped where it matters most, was going very well previous to this. Make my final three games very important as Tottenham are breathing down my neck. Was expecting them to drop points to Chelsea who they play between two tough ECL Semi final ties against Athletico Madrid. Turns out Tottenham smash Chelsea 6-1 and are now in the driving seat for 4th. This is exacerbated by the fact that Gundogan who has been fantastic is now out for the rest of the season and Mata is sooo out of form.

UluEN17.png

Taking a break for today, will most likely finish the season tomorrow. Have to really play around with morale to wrangle 3 wins from the final three games. Also noticed that Lazio are the verge of relegation from Serie A and it would be bloody fun to build them back up again. Yet to finish this united project , which is to get them back to domestic domination or at the very least contention.

I've got Bursaspor in the Europa League and then City in the league 3 days later. Ugh. Been avoiding playing for a week now because of the City fixture

Haha, FM is like that. Go on a winning streak against the little teams notice the next game is City or Chelsea away. Save Game > Quit Game.

Downloaded a Summer update and completed the first season. It turned out a bit easy league wise, so I'm hoping with Champions League I'll have a bit of a challenge.

AB54v.jpg

Falcao was poor throughout the season (didn't get much of a run either), but Rooney was great in a False 9 role, where he was free to roam from his position. Overall, the wing-backs were stars of the show. Shaw had a bit of adjusting to do with learning the CWB role early on but Rafael was by far my best player throughout the season and with 3 at the back and a defensively minded Carrick we didn't conceed many at all, at least unti; Arsenal put 3 past me with no reply :(.

L981Q.jpg

Set up throughout the season in a 3-5-2 and the first team selection was something like:

De Gea

Evans - Jones - Rojo

Rafael----------------Shaw

Carrick-di Maria

Mata

Rooney-Van Persie

With the likes of Blind/Herrera/Falcao/Smalling all playing a fair amount of game too. I used the FA Cup to try and bring through youngster like Wilson (who made a fair amount of league appearances too), Ben Pearson and Blackett, I also gave Ben Amos the cup run and managed to get to the Semi-Finals, losing 2-1 late on to a full strength Arsenal which I was impressed with, but coming so close was a shame.

Despite the good season, we still needed to strengthen due to the small squad and the addition of the CL. I was looking for a backup right back, a forward to replace Falcao, a CM and a CB. The first signing was Kevin Strootman from Roma who has (and continues to have) a really bad injury record. I then signed Jack Grealish who had a really good season for Villa and was available for £4m but I loaned him back to them for a year. I came close to signing John Stones but pulled out at the last minute, having beaten PSG to Barca's Marc Bartra who will play as the BPD I've been looking for (Carrick wasn't the answer unfortunately). There was interest in getting Robben on loan (he was briefly listed) but a managerial change put an end to that, but left me looking for a forward still. My final signing came on deadline day with an hour left since I'd played a match at 7:45, where I decided to activate Reus' buyout clause and gave him the number 9.

Onto the outgoing, I tried all summer to get rid of Valencia with the idea to sign a Wing Back (maybe Peruzzi) but that never happened and he stayed, Fellaini I resorted to sending out on loan, while I sold Cleverly, Young, Fletcher, Lindergaard, Nani and Hernandez.

Given the amount of players I'd sold (and the fact we now have Champions League), I turned down offers to loan out Powell and have kept him around, as well as bringing Pearson into the first team squad full time and using Saidy Janko as backup to Rafael (although if the problem arose I'd probably end up putting Valencia there).

Season has started really well and following a blip where I threw away leads 3 games in a row, we're sitting top and have qualified from the Champions League group, winning the first 4 games (with a group of Porto, Viktoria Plzen and a Levski). This gives me a good chance to give the likes of Powell, Wilson, Pearson, Janko, Blackett and Amos experience in the Champions League which should be good to see. I've also had some really good players from the youth intake come through and Demetri Mitchell has really impressed me in the youth teams (and in a couple of FA Cup runouts), so it seems like a lot of the talent could be coming fro within. That said, when playing with a big club, the chance of getting the 'big name' signings like Reus is too good to miss and will hopefully leave us a good mix of players. I know at the very least I won't need to buy squad players (provided some of them are happy sitting most games outs) so can focus on getting big names with the transfer budget.

Following the latest interational break, Rooney/Strootman/RVP/di Maria are all inujured so I'm debating which way to go vs. Stoke up next. Either:

De Gea

Bartra - Jones - Rojo

Rafael----------------Shaw (Blind)

Carrick-Herrera

Mata

Januzaj - Reus

OR

De Gea

Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw

Carrick - Herrera

Januzaj - Mata - Reus

Wilson

The first one has more defensive cover but I'm not convinced by 2 non-strikers up front where as the second has more attacking options but if they manage a couple of goals we'll probably struggle. Leaning towards the first one at the minute.

The first one has more defensive cover but I'm not convinced by 2 non-strikers up front where as the second has more attacking options but if they manage a couple of goals we'll probably struggle. Leaning towards the first one at the minute.

Non-striker all the way!

Just finished the 2016/17 season, one which ended rather disappointingly.

I managed to pip last season's runners up Tottenham to 4th who had had a bad season in the league, although not as bad as Liverpool's who finished 6th. I almost managed 3rd if it weren't for the sheer goal-scoring exploits of a Lukaku led Chelsea who has now won the Golden Boot 3 season's in a row.

BF21L3a.png

Well, the unprecedented happened and Tottenham went all the way and beat Juventus in the Champions League final, which in effect spoiled my season. Another year of Europa League football.

The previous summer there were a number of incoming transfers the most impressive was Yassine Benzia who managed 34 goals in all competitions after a very slow start for him. Although this was from a bucket-load of starts, 45 in all. Which tells me what area really needs strengthening. Van Persie took a mutual termination of contract in december and Rooney will be moving on this summer transfer window.

Other notable performances include Luke Shaw and regen Kyle Morris . Shaw who had a below par start to the club really came of age this season and dominated the left flank. He shone as a CWB in a 5-3-2 formation that was occasionally employed which led him into some really advanced places on the pitch, usually the one clean through with a CCC.

A couple of other players who signed at the start of the season performed adequately. Lucas Moura was incisive enough to score a few goals, John Stones deputised at right back and center back well. Imbula was solid whenever he played as a rotation option. Carrasco was a revelation when he was fit but he only managed 15 starts. Gundugon impressed in fits and starts mainly as an AP(a) at CM in a 4-1-4-1 in the big games.

In January Denis Suarez and Moi Gomez went on loan to get first team game time and incoming were the aging Thiago Silva on loan who displaced Evans at the back and the young Italian Elio Capradossi from Roma on loan again - with an £8m future fee. Chris Kramer also signed in this window from former club Arsenal.

Looking ahead...

Annoyed not to have achieved Champions League football and might look to jump ship to another league. However, if I stay, i'm torn between sticking with what player's we've got and spending the transfer budget on a CB and Striker.

Juan Mata, despite having a record 19 assists this season played well mainly in patches. When he is on form he is devastating, but there were periods of about 5/6 games where he would struggle to get above a 6.7 rating. With him being 29, I may look to move him on. Will look for £40m, but more likely to get around £25-30m. Will also like to give Januzaj more time on the pitch.

Schneiderlin is another first-teamer who may move on. He blew very hot and cold this season and as a BBM I did not feel he offered enough going forward. Nick Powell has developed well this season and will likely have his spot next season.

Finally, the club captain, Phil Jones has not being the inspiration I was looking for at the back. He his natural as RB, but has poor attacking attributes. His PPMs of get forward whenever possible and run with ball through center make it unlikely he will ever be a top CB either. Arsenal are sniffing after him and if they come in with a £40m bid he will likely leave.

So, looking more likely of another squad overhaul. Targets include a striker, right back and center back. Already have Nathan and Depay coming in on bosman, also looking at Walcott as a striker or even Balotelli if he is cheap enough.

Has anyone figured out the best role to play Mata in yet?

I've used him at AMC as a AP(S) and he's been meh. Not particularly good on the wing either.

He's been a revelation as a trequartista on my save, directly behind Van Persie/Falcao in a 4-2-3-1 (which is more of a 4-1-1-3-1).

Has anyone figured out the best role to play Mata in yet?

I've used him at AMC as a AP(S) and he's been meh. Not particularly good on the wing either.

Really? he's done really well for me on either side. Scoring and assisting :D

Won the league for a second time but the players I've been after (Thiago/Ramsey/Barkley) aren't gettable, despite my attempt to unsettle them. Only brought in Umtiti this summer and wanted a big name, but come deadline day the most likely signing is Kovacic who is in a position I'm after.

Speaking of deadline day... I think I'll switch the game off for the night.

ziZlI.jpg

Can't bring myself go through with it, but was surprised that City accepted the offer (even though he's listed by request) and that he was interested in the move. I thought rival players usually refused to move. Would be worth weakening them but I have a feeling it will ruin the save for me.

He wanted Champions League football (after Januzaj's last minute winner against them won me the title and caused them to finish behind QPR in 5th). On deadline day they'd accepted £27m from Liverpool so I bid his asking price, they asked for about £60m so I went £30m and was surprised to see them accept it. They've always asked ridiculous amounts in the past (and earlier in this transfer window) but maybe it was due to Liverpool be able to get him for less so the'd rather cash in. I'm not sure.

Still haven't loaded the game since then - City have had a really poor start and losing Aguero on deadline day would screw them over, plus I don't want him going to Liverpool.

I use Mata on the right wing as an attacking midfielder instead of a winger. did wonders for me.

I also bring him between the strikers at AMC position as a TQ, not too bad, but i still prefer him as my right midfielder.

Also, some one asked earlier for a good AMC, i think the best AMC later on in the game is Adnan Januzaj.

In my saves, 4season in, he's a massive beast, top scorer for me in his first full season. (Can't upload any images now since i'm at work.)

Screenshot6_zps893f80c3.png

Screenshot7_zpsf5fb8c22.png

I play him in AMC as either TQ or AP, and was so amazing, though many of his goals are from freekicks. Which is reminiscents of Becks and on occassions, R. Carlos.

EDIT: My bad, he wasn't top scorer, but 15 goals in 28 games is amazing in my books.

Using Marshall update bought Coleman and Vertonghen. I should have spent budget on a striker, as Falcao was injured for 3mths and RVP constant minor injuries especially on International duty. I ended up using Young and Di Maria as rotation forwards.

BarclaysPremierLeague_OverviewStages-4_zpsb370c522.png

not going to use latest update, enjoying my current save too much

389196A365652B4CBB9B744267A63055B22BF0E7

part of me wishes I accepted this. he has gone off the boil a bit, and is now injured :(

BEFA6B541F3D254B4AC7E8C68201BE3B5FA606F6

winning the United way... a dodgy peno and a last minute goal :lol:

after a storming pre-season as well, followed it up with a drab 0-0 at villa :(

2D83D3BA55CBABC04A43D43B804889A1EA3DF60A

won this as well, shame those 2 conceded though, completely dominated until we went 4-0

763D493B055F0E6980164DBE1DD776227E3A15D9

still, a nice victory away to Newcastle, usually a struggle getting goals against them, Krul usually saves nearly everything

4 played in the league 2 points behind Norwich (?) and City..... clean sheets in all 4 games

I use Mata on the right wing as an attacking midfielder instead of a winger. did wonders for me.

I also bring him between the strikers at AMC position as a TQ, not too bad, but i still prefer him as my right midfielder.

On the right wing, would it be as AP(A) then?

Still cant decide what database to use what do you all think personally

I just went back to the original 14.0 db. That' s very fun, going back and remembering how bad it all went with that bunch of guys.

For a summer update though, I'd go with pr0's update.

Games like this **** me off for no reason, i mean my team missed everything they could, i had 28 shots at half time.

aaaa9fc9948ca4db1a19728e6e9fe3f4.png

Januzaj is my super sub, seriously thinking about selling Rooney (he's gonna be 30 and has like 300k p/w).

30b0e6998556a5aecaf746e822f0b32a.png

Games like this **** me off for no reason, i mean my team missed everything they could, i had 28 shots at half time.

aaaa9fc9948ca4db1a19728e6e9fe3f4.png

Januzaj is my super sub, seriously thinking about selling Rooney (he's gonna be 30 and has like 300k p/w).

30b0e6998556a5aecaf746e822f0b32a.png

What database did you use are falcao's stats good seems some people have destroyed him in their updates :)

60m + 95k p/w contract with atrocious bonuses.

So I had to start my save again. It's fine because I'm not planning on playing FM15 until after the final update anyways. Simmed the first season then took over like I always do.

So I just finished up the my summer spending and um...here's how it went:

Raphael Varane for 21m, Paul Pogba for 30m, Victor Valdes for free (because why not? :D), Seamus Coleman for 16.25m, Ashley Williams for 7.25m.

I used the latest update by pr0.

So um yeah. I think that went well :D

Also sold Rooney to Monaco for 55m.

I'm just playing cause I'm bored, and wanted to try out 3-5-2 outside of Italy.

Also for the fun of it in my second season I sold most of my players for some crazy amount. I also wanted to get rid of Rooney, but decided to keep him anyways and "promote" him to a striker role to pair up with Lukaku, while I gave his AMC spot to Januzaj. Also I kinda got bored of it when I started playing Dragon Age so I haven't loaded up the save in like 2 days.

1.jpg

Clyne is pretty great, or if you can get him, the next best RB to Rafael is Gino Peruzzi, I believe.

I'll take a look at Peruzzi. I'm still favoring Clyne though. I feel like I've signed enough foreigners for one window :D

I'll take a look at Peruzzi. I'm still favoring Clyne though. I feel like I've signed enough foreigners for one window :D

Clyne is still a fantastic choice, less "all round", but quite a bit faster than Peruzzi, which is arguably more important, depending on how you use fullbacks. Plus Clyne will cover very well at LB too.

Joe Hart had himself quite the day by the looks of it.

Has anyone signed Clyne at RB? I'm looking at him as a potential replacement for Rafael.

I have always signed Clyne as my replacement for Rafael great right back in the game.

I'm just playing cause I'm bored, and wanted to try out 3-5-2 outside of Italy.

Also for the fun of it in my second season I sold most of my players for some crazy amount. I also wanted to get rid of Rooney, but decided to keep him anyways and "promote" him to a striker role to pair up with Lukaku, while I gave his AMC spot to Januzaj. Also I kinda got bored of it when I started playing Dragon Age so I haven't loaded up the save in like 2 days.

1.jpg

What skin is that?

Recently signed Lamela after he won Premier League Footballer of the Year for £40m and he's done okay in the first few months but not been that great. I've been playing him LW but he played Inside forward on the right for Spurs and that is his best position.

I consider my best front 4:

Reus - Januzaj - Lamela (although, I'd currently favour Di Maria with Herrera taking his place in CM)

--------Rooney

Reus is played on the right and Lamela on the left, even though their best positions are both as inside forward. This is done because I usually like wingers to play down the side of their stronger foot. I also find Rooney plays well as a False 9. Januzaj has been my best player (along with Rafael) as Advanced Playmaker or Trequartista . I've thought about playing Lamela and Reus as inside forwards (attack) and Rooney in the False 9 role, but I'm not sure if it would work. If I was to try it, what would be the best way to play Januzaj in this set-up?

Reus plays really well and scores a lot of important goals and Di Maria is probably the best winger in term of crossing/assists/ratings so as it stands, my biggest signing shouldn't be in the side. If I can get him playing well, Di Maria could play in CM position but I've had my worst start in the 4 years trying to accommodate Lamela while he settles in. I was hoping he would slip into LW easily but he obviously isn't that type of player.

Probably a bit early to be worrying but I've got a series of big games coming up (Arsenal/Chelsea/City).

I'd switch to a 4-3-3/4-1-2-2-1, if you could stand to retrain Januzaj to CM. Reus and Lamela as IF's(Reus support, Lamela attack would be my pick), Lamela was ridiculous for me with United as a right IF, then have Di Maria as a CM(a) and Januzaj beside him as an AP(S).

Perhaps an asymmetrical slot use if you want to keep that front four, Januzaj to one side and Rooney to the other so they don't get in each others way too much. But as a treq, Januzaj should be drifting about anyway.

Archived