n_chivas_guadalajara_cartones-1741846.jpg

This isn't a career...this is a dynasty

a forameuss career

C.D. Guadalajara (Chivas)

tg9B77h.png

WSaogmM.png

tppqWml.png

i1ntjZB.png

Not much I can say other than that I'm at a huge club in this country. They've won everything, and if you remember back to my time with Boca, they've also won the Libertadores at my expense. If I can't win the North American Champions League with Chivas, my career in football management is over.

6jchp9b.png

Even better, financially we're absolutely fine. I'll need to take quite a nosedive to hit the red, so that's a nice cushion to have.

Chivas-stadium-Guadalajara-city-1024x636.jpg

And an impressive stadium too. I'm home.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a forameuss career

eML07Ib.png

Not a bad team report certainly, but I can see a few areas we can definitely improve. One place we certainly needed to was in goal, and Valladolid was my first signing. Other than that, what you see is what was here when I arrived.

Nr7xYcI.png

HYt5cyr.pngcijgcf3.png

ipI1I2f.pngZebtukL.png

XUUNc6B.png

Happy enough with our signings. Pedro Guerra is the stand-out, and if we play 4-4-2 he can slot in to two different positions. He'll be very important.

a forameuss career

The Squad

I'll outline each group below, but the main thing to note about the squad - apart from it being absolutely huge - is that it is 100% Mexican. Our only foreign player has left the club in the off-season, so I could be picking up my first home-grown trophies with the club. Something to look forward to.

Goalkeepers

rU63P0t.png

Three good goalkeepers, but new signing Valladolid is undoubtedly first choice.

Defenders

HqZ2JcB.png

This is where the worries are. Although a two star player at Chivas would probably start comfortably for another team, I don't like the look of those star ratings. I'll hope to get the best out of them though.

Defensive Midfielders

tsj1VdN.png

If we play a DM, Walter Rodriguez is the man for that. Olguin will be a backup.

Midfielders

5KMvRle.png

Very well served in the middle of the field. If you include the DMs, who can also play at MC, we have six very good players to choose from, allowing us to play four or five man midfields without losing quality. The only slight worry is that Walter Rodriguez is not considered to be as good at MC than DM by my coaches.

Attacking Midfielders

io29wJb.png

For the first time in what seems like forever, I am at a club that doesn't have an AMC who is considered one of the best players at the club. In fact, we don't have any natural AMCs. This means I can play a flatter midfield without fear of wasting someone's talent. It's good to know we have a good bit of backup on the flanks, particularly if we start using inside forwards. Most of those wingers can play at ML and MR as well, which will be useful.

Strikers

yimFf6N.png

We have a certain three who will rotate around the one or two strikers spots, with the rest coming in as injury backup and just general merriment. Hugo Pereira is undoubtedly the most important one in the group.

a forameuss career

tqqoSxR.png

VbZIWwD.png

19/7/2036 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (6th) v Cruz Azul (7th)

Preview

We start as you see above. Attacking strategy, as I'm not entirely convinced about our defence. But if we outscore everyone, who cares!

Match

Cruz Azul looked like putting up very little fight as we raced into a 2-0 lead. We added a third before half time, and with the game petering out to a boring conclusion, Azul smashed in a consolation. I'll certainly take a 3-1 win though.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 1 Cruz Azul

23/7/2036 - Mexican Cup (Group D) - Zacatepec (D1A/4th) v CHIVAS (D1/2nd)

Preview

Our first game in the cup. It's a group format, so we'll face Zacatepec, Morelia and At. San Luis. It's also a double format - we face one cup during each stage of the league, so a possibility of four domestic trophies in Mexico. I'll be aiming for all four. Eduardo Herrera is the only change as he comes in up front alongside Pereira.

Match

Not a good start as Zacatepec take the lead in the 2nd minute. Not what we expected at all. Luckily that shook us a little, and we got an equaliser in the 8th minute. With 20 minutes gone, we were 3-1 up and cruising. Although we let in another goal at 4-1 up, we turned the screw further and ended the match 6-2 ahead and absolutely cruising. Good start in the cup.

Final Score

Zacatepec 2 - 6 CHIVAS

26/7/2036 - Mexican First Division - Zolos Tijuana (4th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

Tijuana, home of donkey shows, allegedly, took the lead in the 16th minute, but Pereira sent the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot to equalise on the half hour mark. I thought we'd go on and take control, but we struggled for most of the game, and Tijuana took the initiative, as well as the lead. We were staring down the barrel of a defeat when substitute Choquito managed an equaliser in the 74th minute. We couldn't find a winner, but we remain unbeaten.

Final Score

Zolos Tijuana 2 - 2 CHIVAS

F00WdZW.png

oax4aH5.png

MT6WPuY.png

a forameuss career

3/8/2036 - Mexican First Division - Morelia (1st) v CHIVAS (4th)

Match

League leaders Morelia took the lead early on, but just a minute later Pereira was brought down as he hesitated before shooting. He scored the resulting penalty, and we were level. Morelia once again pushed ahead, but we pegged them back again to equalise for the second time. I would have loved to have finally taken the lead on the day, and within five minutes of the restart, we managed it through Guerrera. In quite a battle, Morelia almost hit back a minute later, taking an absolutely fantastic save by Valladolid, pushing a powerful header onto the bar. He then did exactly the same minutes later. We were certainly under the cosh, with wave after wave of yellow charging at us. But against the run of play we added a 4th to possibly put the game beyond doubt, and then a 5th to definitely put it away. A fantastic performance.

Final Score

Morelia 2-5 CHIVAS

6/8/2036 - Mexican Cup (Group D) - CHIVAS (2nd/D1) v Morelia (1st/D1)

Match

We welcomed Morelia back to the Estadio Omnilife, this time in the cup, hoping to make it a double over them. They've overtaken us in the group table, but they have played a game more than us. A win will put us in a commanding position already, providing we don't slip up against the lower league teams. A first half double from Hugo Pereira put us in control, and not even a late goal from Morelia could stop us from picking up a second win against Morelia in as many games. We rise to the top of the table, level on points with our rivals with a game in hand.

EDIT: The game crashed after this game so had to replay - same scoreline, different scorers, as you'll see in the screenshot.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 1 Morelia

gmd917t.png

9/8/2036 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (3rd) v Pachuca (11th)

Match

A good 2-0 win with a goal in each half. Pachuca had a man sent off just after our second goal, which pretty much ended their challenge. It also came on the day the board decided to hold a fan day. Quite why a side of our stature needs such things I'm not sure.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 0 Pachuca

13/8/2036 - Mexican Cup - CHIVAS (1st/D1) v At. San Luis (4th/D1A)

Match

This was a match we needed to win. Sure, we expected to do just that, but strange things can happen. If we win this, we'll have won three out of three and go three points clear at the top of the group. Two more wins against the two lower league teams will mean anything less than a high-scoring defeat to Morelia will put us through as group winners. It wasn't quite as easy as we hoped it would be, but we were ahead for half of the game after taking the lead in the 36th minute. They equalised in the 70th minute, but less than ten minutes after we were back ahead. Borrego, who almost left the club before rejecting the contract, scored the 3rd, and we ran out clear winners.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 1 At. San Luis

16/8/2036 - Mexican First Division - Queretaro (4th) v CHIVAS (3rd)

Match

We faced a five man midfield for this one, so hopefully our four man midfield can match them. We should end up giving them enough problems up front going 2 against 3. And so it proved as we took an early lead, Sahaguan waltzing behind the defence and slipping a finish under the keeper from a tight angle. A second was added soon after, but then Queretaro got a goal back with an almost carbon copy of our opener. It was a tight game from then on, end to end stuff, but we managed to keep our noses in front, even adding a crucial third with a minute to go.

Final Score

Queretaro 1 - 3 CHIVAS

19/8/2036 - Mexican Cup - At. San Luis (3rd/D1A) v CHIVAS (1st/D1)

Match

A thoroughly professional performance away from home as we completed the double over At. San Luis. A first-half double from Hugo Pereira was enough to open up a five point gap over Morelia in 2nd. A win in our next game will guarantee us qualification now.

Final Score

At. San Luis 0 - 2 CHIVAS

24/8/2036 - Mexican First Division - Puebla (11th) v CHIVAS (3rd)

Match

We moved to a 4-5-1 to try that out, leaving just Pereira up front. We didn't look quite ourselves for most of the game, but on the stroke of half time Sahagun scored a bizarre goal. He fired a corner straight as an arrow along the byline, so straight that the keeper could only palm it into his own net. It didn't count as an own goal for some reason, but I'll take it. Rodriguez was sent off with ten minutes to go, leaving us hanging on, so much so that in the 87th minute I brought off Pereira for a central midfielder, leaving us with a 4-6-0. It just about did the job, and it finished 1-0.

Final Score

Puebla 0 - 1 CHIVAS

27/8/2036 - Mexican Cup - CHIVAS (1st/D1) v Zacatepec (3rd/D1A)

Match

A bit of an odd match. Despite playing lower league opposition, Zacatepec matched us stride for stride during the game, eventually finishing 2-2, despite them having ten men. Have to say I'm disappointed that we didn't manage to convert more than two of our 19 shots on target, or 36 shots off target. Unfortunately, we've now lost out on the chance to secure top spot with a game in hand. A point against Morelia will secure that in the next game.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 2 Zacatepec

EWLq4Cs.png

30/8/2036 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (2nd) v Tigres (6th)

Match

We took an early lead from a corner, but a hideous defensive mixup led to a Tigres equaliser. Three of our defenders seemed to have a committee meeting at the worst possible moment, letting the ball bounce over them and to the onrushing Tigres striker. 1-1. From then we didn't really get back into the game, and Tigres scored a second. Our first defeat of the season.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 2 Tigres

LRH6V7F.png

FqEjupF.png

LhaRTgI.png

a forameuss career

2/9/2036 - Mexican First Division - Monterrey (16th) v CHIVAS (2nd)

Match

We bounced back well from the match against Tigres by despatching Monterrey on their own turf. Jose Sahagun, Hugo Pereira and Edu got a goal each, and we strolled home with a 3-0 victory.

Final Score

Monterrey 0 - 3 CHIVAS

13/9/2036 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (2nd) v America(MEX) (3rd)

Match

2nd versus 3rd in a crunch match in the First Division, and also the Clasico de Clasicos Derby (Classico of Classico's I assume). These are the matches we need to win if we want to end up as Champions. In the end, we gave a very assured performance to run out 3-0 winners. Possession was equal, but we had far more shots. This bodes well for our crunch match with Atlas next week.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 0 America(MEX)

17/9/2036 - Mexican Cup - Morelia (2nd/D1) v CHIVAS (1st/D1)

Match

A topsy turvy match, and one that looks a lot more comfortable than it was. Morelia went 2-0 up, and with just minutes to go to half time, we looked like we would go in two behind. Juan Pablo Real popped up to give us some hope though, and we added another four to steamroller Morelia and qualify in style.

Final Score

Morelia 2 - 5 CHIVAS

20/9/2036 - Mexican First Division -1 Atlas (1st) v CHIVAS (2nd)

Match

Now this is a match. In the last league game, we faced the Clasico de Clasicos Derby (Classico of Classico's I assume) and now we face the Clasico Tapatia derby against Atlas. It's also a top-of-the-table clash. With Atlas just a point ahead, the winner of this one will probably end up as Champions. No pressure there then. It looked like the pressure was getting to both sides as we fought out an entertaining draw. Atlas probably deserved the win, so I won't complain at getting a point.

Final Score

Atlas 1 - 1 CHIVAS

24/9/2036 - Mexican Cup - CHIVAS v Queretaro

Match

Our quarter final with Queretaro was probably the best draw we could have hoped for out of the sides left. A one legged affair that would not even go to extra time should it end in a draw. Hugo Pereira scored the opening goal of the match before Walter Rodriguez capitalised on a poor clearance in the opposition box to stab home a second. A third was added in the first half, and it stayed like that until Queretaro managed to get a goal back late in the second. It was just a consolation though, and we march on into the semi finals.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 1 Queretaro

27/9/2036 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (2nd) v Jaguares (12th)

Match

An end-to-end match against a side we should really be beating. Both sides hit the woodwork, and missed chance after chance, but on the hour mark we took a vital lead. Atlas could only draw their match, so they stay ahead, but by a single point with eight games to go. Still quite a way to go yet.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 0 Jaguares

kK1mzQv.png

ZqGscEo.png

dR7N8vt.png

Well, the FM gods have smited me somewhat, and my current save crashed. Despite being on a monthly rolling auto-save, the previous one is on the 9th of August. A lot of games now needing to be played again, so I'll try and get the results to match what I've already posted. Because I'm lazy. I'll return properly updating when I get to the point I last posted at. I'll also let you know any differences between what I've posted and what happens in the redux.

a forameuss career

So I eventually played through the games that were stricken from the record after the last crash, and for the most part they are as they were before.

KEHLb8q.png

The only difference is that we won a game we drew before in the cup, and we beat Atlas rather than drawing with them. I tried a few times to get them both to end in draws, but got bored of that pretty quickly.

oJE5FIo.png

Mtae5GU.png

That puts the two tables like so. Basically, as well as our results being slightly boosted, the teams around us were slightly weakened. We're four points ahead with six games to go, so plenty of time still to screw it all up.

a forameuss career

4/10/2036 - Mexican First Division - Santos Laguna (12th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

An uneventful match for the first forty-five minutes, but then we gave a penalty away in stoppage time. They took the lead from it and went in at half time like that. We pushed for an equaliser, but to be honest we never really seemed like getting back in to the game, and Santos added a second mid-way through the second half. Poor performance.

Final Score

Santos Laguna 2 - 0 CHIVAS

7/10/2036 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (2nd) v Toluca (5th)

Match

Another poor performance as Toluca kept us at arms length for most of the game, eventualy winning by the two goal margin we lost by against Santos Laguna. It's not quite panic stations yet, but it very well could be if we lose against Pumas in our next match.

Final Score

CHIVAS 0 - 2 Toluca

18/10/2036 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (2nd) v Pumas (8th)

Match

We were much better tonight, taking control of the game early on. A rocket of a shot cannoned off the crossbar, and then straight off the foot of the unsuspecting defender for an own goal. That made it 2-0, and we looked in control. Pumas got a goal back on the hour mark, but we were fully deserving of our lead, and we should have scored more to be honest. We managed to close out the win, and what a massive win it could be.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 1 Pumas

22/10/2036 - Mexican Cup Semi Final - CHIVAS v Pachuca

Match

A huge match for us. Just one game away from the final of the Opening Stage Cup. A deep cross from the right flank early on allowed Huge Pereira to swoop low and score the opening goal. He added a second from another low cross, taking a touch and then turning it into the net across the keeper. We rarely looked troubled from there, and added a third late on. Travelling to the final in style.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 0 Pumas

r3zmHc3.png

25/10/2036 - Mexican First Division - Leon (13th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

A match that mostly didn't go our own way. Leon took the lead, and held it for a long old time. We pushed and pushed, throwing men up front to try and get a crucial equaliser. Then we managed it, with just a minute to go. Unfortunately, I didn't remember to set my tactics back the other way, and a minute later we were 2-1 behind. That could end up being a very bad result for us.

Final Score

Leon 2 - 1 CHIVAS

29/10/2036 - Mexican Cup Final - CHIVAS v Xolos Tijuana

Match

A final against Xolos Tijuana at our home ground. Having two cups in the one season sort of brings down the importance of them a little, but still, it's something we really want to win. The first half was very tight, with both sides having their chances, but coming up just short. The deadlock was finally broken just after the half-time break when Sahagun sneaked in at the back post after a defensive mistake to slam against the keeper and in. He then set up a second from a corner to put us well in control. Tijuana had a bit of a revival after that, having several good chances to get back into the game. They didn't take them though, and we ran out 2-0 winners. Cup winners.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 0 Xolos Tijuana

eNGl6vT.png

XO0LJwT.png

kKNwnON.png

EdEeTBl.png

RdIyHDT.png

Imqz65n.png

IVCpOT2.png

a forameuss career

8/11/2036 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (2nd) v Necaxa (16th)

Match

We took another early lead through Rivas, as he fired in a rebound after his initial shot was blocked. We knew going in at half time that America of Mexico were only drawing their match, putting us top as things stood. We don't play them again this season, or any of the teams around us, so it's now a straight shootout between us. A ninetieth minute goal for America put them back on top though, while our game wound down.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 0 Necaxa

8/11/2036 - Mexican First Division - Celaya (18th) v CHIVAS (2nd)

Match

Another match against opposition lower down the table. This time, it's the rock bottom side Celaya we visit. 19 seconds in, we were ahead. The best possible start, which just got better as we scored another two before the seventeen minute mark. With the game pretty much over as a contest, the fans were free to turn their attentions to the match involving America of Mexico. They took the lead in the 64th minute to dash our hopes, and leave us facing a second place finish. We have qualified for the Copa Libertadores Group Stage, but we still have the play-offs to come.

Final Score

Celaya 0 - 4 CHIVAS

20/11/2036 - Mexican First Division Play-off Quarter Final First Leg - Pumas v CHIVAS

Match

A tight game, as they always will be at this stage of the season. But we took the initiative with a 1-0 win, and an away goal.

Final Score

Pumas 0 - 1 CHIVAS

23/11/2036 - Mexican First Division Play-off Quarter Final Second Leg - CHIVAS v Pumas

Match

Pereira opened the scoring to give us a commanding 2-0 lead on aggregate, and pretty much puts one of our feet into the semi finals. It finished that way, the match pretty much petering out. Great result, and we're into the last four.

Final Score

CHIVAS (2) 1 - 0 (0) Pumas

nZKouvp.png

26/11/2036 - Mexican First Division Play-off Semi Final First Leg - Morelia v CHIVAS

Match

And so we meet again. Morelia play us for the 4th, and soon to be 5th time this season, this time in the semi-finals of the play-offs, with only one of us going through to battle it out with Atlas or Queretaro for the title outright. An awful start as Morelia took an early lead. They had another goal disallowed, which must have shook us into life. We got an equaliser on the half hour mark, and then pressured for the lead. Unfortunately, Morelia picked themselves up once again, going 2-1 ahead on the hour. We went 4-4-2, and Morelia punished us by taking a 3-1 lead. A big result for them.

Final Score

Morelia 3 - 1 CHIVAS

29/11/2036 - Mexican First Division Play-off Semi Final Second Leg - CHIVAS v Morelia

Match

So after a terrible result in the first leg, we pretty much had to go all out, balls to the wall in this second leg to stand any chance of going into the final. I didn't think my standard 4-1-4-1 would do it, given we needed to score at least two goals. So I did something brave and moved to 4-3-3, playing as narrowly as possible to try and stifle Morelia's 4-4-2. I have to say, as we went in at half time 2-0 ahead, it looked like I might just have pulled it out of the fire. Away goals count in the tie, so we were going through as it stood. Early in the second half we scored a third, meaning that Morelia had to score two. If the tie is level on away goals at 90 minutes, the team that finished higher in the table goes through, so we were safe that way. The entire team continued to put in the shift of their lives, and we denied them even the smallest chances. The final whistle blew, and I had just Mourinho'd Morelia. Ooft.

Final Score

CHIVAS (4) 3 - 0 (3) Morelia

uOARK67.png

3/12/2036 - Mexican First Division Play-off Final First Leg - Atlas v CHIVAS

Match

And so it begins. We face a historic derby in the Opening Stage final, and it'll be fought over two legs, started away from home. Atlas were, like us, behind going into the second leg, but absolutely battered poor Queretaro - who were predicted to finish 15th before the season began - 5-0 to go through to the final. I'm in a dilemma of how to approach this one. We looked fantastic with a 4-3-3 in the last game, but if we play that, we could end up blown away and out of the tie before it's even begun. Atlas play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation with wingers, so a narrow formation may not be the most sensible thing to do. I've got a feeling though. I'm going to stick with 4-3-3, and keep my 4-1-4-1 in the back pocket just in case. When we arrived at the match, it turned out Atlas threw a wobbly by playing a flat 4-4-2 instead of what I expected. That makes my decision more justified, at least in my eyes. And by half time, it looked like I had been proved right, as we went in an away goal to the good. Vasquez, who has very rarely been handed a start as one of the two first choice strikers, slotted home. It was a very tight second half, with Atlas probing, and they got their reward in the 71st minute with an equaliser. I stuck with how we were playing, hoping for a winner, and in the 89th minute, we got it through Vasquez again. I frantically made substitutions to try and run down the clock, and then the final whistle blew. A massive blow to Atlas, but we'll go back to the Estadio Omnilife knowing that as long as we don't lose by two clear goals, then we're Champions. Unless they win 3-2, or 4-3 or something ridiculous like that...

Final Score

Atlas 1 - 2 CHIVAS

6/12/2036 - Mexican First Division Play-off Final Second Leg - Atlas v CHIVAS

Match

Only a few days to catch our breath as the derby final of the Opening Stage reaches its conclusion. I've done a bit of reading up on this derby, and although it doesn't have the usual stories of pigs heads, death and riots like some derbies around the world, it isn't without it's charm.

The rivalry was born shortly after the founding of Atlas in August 1916 (Guadalajara was founded in May 1906, along with the two clubs being from the same city, there was also a difference of social class between the two teams. While Guadalajara were followed by the middle class of the city. Atlas represented and was the favorite of the upper class, due to the fact that the founders of the club came from wealthy families and learned the sport of soccer in their travel as students to the United Kingdom.

The first encounter between the two clubs came in a friendly shortly after Atlas was founded, the end result was a 0-0 draw. The first tournament match came in the "Torneo de Primavera"(Tournament of Spring) of 1917, where Atlas was victorious over CHIVAS by a score of 2-1 despite complaints of bad referee performance by CHIVAS. CHIVAS were so angered by the result, that they refused to play in the next Liga Amateur de Jalisco tournament of 1917-18, unless the president of refereeing, Justo García Godoy, resigned from his position; when Godoy failed to do so CHIVAS refused to join the tournament. After the tournament was over, Atlas had won their first amateur league and the leader of the collegiate had resigned, CHIVAS challenged Atlas to a series of 3 matches. Each of the teams won one of the first two matches, both only by a single goal, and the third was won by Atlas; this time there were more complaints because Atlas had used 7 substitutions from the no longer existent Club Colón.

There is a legend that ensures that the first match was favorable to the Atlas by a score of 18-0, although the first reference is a note for a newspaper in Guadalajara published about 50 years after the alleged occurrence of the match. Currently there is no data to confirm the confrontation. Some believe that this match never took place and others that it was only a match without official status between followers of the club.

In 1955 the most curious of the Classical Tapatio happened. The goalkeeper of the Guadalajara, Jaime 'Tubo' Gómez, was insulted during a large part of the meeting by the fans. After seeing that the match would be won by CHIVAS easily after leading 5-0,'Tub0' requested a magazine from someone outside the field, then he sat next to one of the goalposts and began to read it in clear mockery of Atlas faithful.

Atlas and Guadalajara have faced two times in playoffs, both in the quarter-finals.On the first occasion, in the summer tournament 2000,CHIVAS moved on to the semi-finals to tie both encounters 1-1, since the Guadalajara had better position in the general table. Three and a half years later, in the Opening Tournament 2004,Atlas collected revenge and eliminated their hated rivals by global marker of 4-3. In both games the Guadalajara failed a winning penalty kick. Neither of the teams would move past the semi-finals on either occasion, CHIVAS were defeated by Toluca and Atlas were defeated by Pumas.

I certainly like the part about the goalkeeper and his magazine...but one fact that stuck out for me was that we have never met in the final of a play-off. Twice they have met in the quarters, but never at this late stage. What a match to decide the title. We hold a slender lead, but that lead doubles when you consider the two away goals. We need to go out and keep things tight - if we stop them scoring, we win. Simple really.

Atlas put forward their expected 4-1-2-2-1 formation, and I stuck with the 4-3-3. Crunch time. It was another tight game, with neither side looking like they wanted to really go for it. We had a lot of shots, but very few were on target. But then Hugo Pereira, man of the season, stepped up and started the Guadalajara party by putting us 3-1 ahead on aggregate. Atlas then needed three due to our better seeding, and with only twenty minutes to do it, it was unlikely. We closed out the game, and the trophy was ours.

Final Score

CHIVAS (3) 1 - 0 (1) Atlas

Q7fTy8Q.png

KEVBIec.png

8n9Zpfi.png

h5TXwqY.png

JnIGmZN.png

881yCAo.png

a forameuss career

We now face a months break before it's back to league and cup duty again, but I do have one bit of bad news to bring you. It seems that in removing all South American leagues back when I left Boca, I screwed up the Libertadores. I'm in 2036, and it hasn't been scheduled since 2031. I holidayed ahead to confirm, and even though technically we've qualified, we will not be playing in the tournament when it should start in January.

What this means for later in the save I'm not sure. If I add a South American league, it may kickstart it, but I may have completely murdered the competition unless I start again. Bad times. Will be raised as a bug.

Still, I think a top two finish in the closing stage will qualify us for the North American Champions League, which is the one we are here to win, so not all bad news.

I think only the best three teams not qualified for the CONCACAF go into the Liberatdores? Congrats anyway.

The way I understand it, and from how it looks in the league rules, the top two from the opening stage qualify for the Libertadores. I think, although not sure, that the top two from each of the stages qualify for the North American Champions League. But that's not written anywhere in the league rules for some reason, whereas the Libertadores is. Mind boggles.

Anyway, on raising as a bug, it looks like the Libertadores will be wrecked in this save permanently. That means any future managers I add will not get the chance to win the tournament. Very disappointing. Also means that the Pentagon/Tetradecagon is now bricked and impossible for any future attempts. Woo!

Well done on an early title.
Congrats on a superb first season in charge.
Weird about the liberatores but a great season and hopefully another CL to tick off!

Cheers all. Mexico seems to have the South American attitude to fixtures by cramming as many into as small a space of time as possible - hard to think that we're only half-way through the season, despite having already gone through a full league stage, a cup competition and the play-offs. If SI hadn't ballsed up with the Libertadores bug (not my fault at all y'see) then I would have had to fit in all those games too come January. Potentially another fourteen games, to add to the seventeen league games, nine potential cup games, and six potential play-off matches. A sixty four game season domestically. The only concession there seems to be is that you don't have to face extra-time in the cup or play-offs, and you don't have to participate in the cup if you're in the North American Champions League. Still, shouldn't complain - we have a very good side here.

I have a bumper set of updates coming, taking you from late 2036, to mid July 2039. Yes guys and gals, it's a time marathon.

a forameuss career

3/1/2037 - Mexican First Division - Cruz Azul v CHIVAS

Match

An underwhelming start to the season as we were held to a 2-2 draw by Cruz Azul. We were 2-0 up early on and looking very good, but then on the half hour mark we let a goal in. From then, we looked completely out of it. Pereira even got himself sent off. Not the best start.

Final Score

Cruz Azul 2 - 2 CHIVAS

14/1/2037 - Mexican Cup - CHIVAS (D1) v Murcielagos FC (D1A)

Match

Standard cup fare as we faced a lower league team, and beat them fairly convincingly. We did look a bit sluggish at times though, and certainly didn't get enough of our shots on target. Still, a win is a win is a win.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 0 Murcielagos FC

21/1/2037 - Mexican First Division - Toluca (17th) v CHIVAS (7th)

Match

A comfortable 2-1 win against basement dwellers Toluca, and keeps us unbeaten this season. Early days yet mind.

Final Score

Toluca 1 - 2 CHIVAS

24/1/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (4th) v Morelia (2nd)

Match

We just weren't at the races today. We took the lead early on, but to be honest Morelia were just better than us on the day in every way. A 2-1 defeat flatters us slightly.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 2 Morelia

28/1/2037 - Mexican Cup - CHIVAS (1st) v Pachuca (2nd)

Match

We needed to pick ourselves up after the disappointing result against Morelia, and that's just what we did. We got a good 3-1 win to take a commanding lead in the group.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 1 Pachuca

31/1/2037 - Mexican First Division - Pachuca (3rd) v CHIVAS (10th)

Match

Pachuca almost got revenge for the cup defeat by taking a first minute lead, but they conceded an own goal late in the second half to draw the match level.

Final Score

Pachuca 1 - 1 CHIVAS

4/2/2037 - Mexican Cup - Atlante (4th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

Another comfortable cup victory over lower league opposition, and we can start looking forward to our quarter final place, provided we can beat Pachuca in the return match there.

Final Score

Atlante 0 - 3 CHIVAS

rKFgQwR.png

fzbuOU8.png

a forameuss career

7/2/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (10th) v Queretaro (13th)

Match

Queretaro had a fantastic season last time out, getting to the semi-finals of the play-offs, but they've yet to catch fire this time around. Still, they got a penalty in the first half of our match, and promptly converted it. It took a penalty of our own to equalise, but once again we just didn't look very good at all. We have not started well.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 1 Queretaro

11/2/2037 - Mexican First Division - Tigres (3rd) v CHIVAS (11th)

Match

Simply put, we needed a win here. If we lose, we are dangerously off the pace in the league, to the point where we might struggle to get into the play-offs, let alone the top two. Luckily, we chose the match against the dangerous Tigres to put in a very good performance, running out clear 2-0 winners.

Final Score

Tigres 0 - 2 CHIVAS

15/2/2037 - Mexican First Division - America(MEX) (8th) v CHIVAS (9th)

Match

We really should have won this one. We really should. America scored in the 88th minute to equalise and stop us from getting back to back wins for the first time in ages.

Final Score

America(MEX) 1 - 1 CHIVAS

18/2/2037 - Mexican Cup - CHIVAS (1st) v Murcielagos FC (4th)

Match

Another step closer to the quarter finals with our 4th victory in 4 in the Cup.

Final Score

CHIVAS 4 - 0 Murcielagos FC

vtI0HEh.png

SIcEuA7.png

21/2/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (8th) v Puebla (9th)

Match

0-0 at half time. We just don't look the same team as last stage, despite the best efforts of Pereira. He gave us the lead just after half time, and Ledezma added a second. We had dominated the same from minute one, but the fact that we dominated so much and still took half a game to score was worrying. A win is still a win though.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 0 Puebla

25/2/2037 - Mexican Cup - CHIVAS (1st) v Atlante (2nd)

Match

Our opponents may be in the second tier of Mexican football, but they currently sit second in the table after convincingly beating Pachuca in the last round. That means if we win or draw, we're guaranteed to top our group. If we lose, Atlante can catch us providing Pachuca beat us in our final match. We absolutely battered poor Atlante though, eventually running out 4-0 winners thanks to a hat-trick from Juan Pablo Real. He doesn't often get a start, so he took this chance fantastically. I'll hand him a start in the league against Atlas as a reward.

Final Score

CHIVAS 4 - 0 Atlante

1dA9XYP.png

ydTbqkN.png

PBwSmY5.png

28/2/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (5th) v Atlas (15th)

Match

A bit of a strange derby this one. Last year we faced off in a two-legged play-off final, and this time around we're struggling to keep up with the top sides, and Atlas are languishing down in 15th with just one win in 8 games. Needless to say then, a win for us would be a fantastic result. Vazquez scored in the 13th minute, and then Juan Pablo Real took his chance to double the lead. As we approached, Atlas looked a well beaten side going by the stats. Just a single shot on target, inferior in possession. However, against the run of play they got a goal back to give the home fans something to think of over the break. I told the team not to be complacent, and they weren't, going out in the second half and absorbing the pressure to run out 2-1 winners. A very professional performance, which really puts Atlas' season in turmoil.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 1 Atlas

9jTCfVv.png

XVAFpYE.png

tGxhDAm.png

a forameuss career

4/3/2037 - Mexican Cup - Pachuca (2nd) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

Pachuca could go through as the best runner-up, so they have something to play for here, but for us it's just a run-out. I'll give Real another go to see if he can keep up his good form. Unfortunately, he couldn't, and neither could we, falling to a 3-2 defeat. It doesn't really matter to us

Final Score

Pachuca 3 - 2 CHIVAS

7/3/2037 - Mexican First Division - Jaguares (9th) v CHIVAS (4th)

Match

We fought back from a goal down to go 2-1 up through a Vazquez double. We kept it that way until the 91st minute when we sealed the game with a 3rd. A great performance, even as it was almost spoiled by a Jaguares goal in the 92nd minute. We still had a chance to make it 4 before the final whistle, but couldn't take it. Still, another win.

Final Score

Jaguares 2 - 3 CHIVAS

11/3/2037 - Mexican Cup Quarter Final - CHIVAS v Lobos BUAP

Match

A great draw - a home tie against lower league opposition for the chance to hit the semi finals of the Cup. Unfortunately, the magic of the cup seemed to be shining as Lobos took the lead just one hundred seconds into the game. Not the start the home crowd expected. They scored again, but fortunately for us it was disallowed for offside. That seemed to be the turning point as Herrera dragged us level. Unfortunately, no-one else got hte message as they scored again just a minute later, again from an offside position. And then a third, from a more legal position. Absolutely shellshocked as we go off at half-time. Pereira took just 20 seconds of the second half to get a goal back after I put the fear of God into them. I threw on a left winger to try and change my approach, and there was Herrera, from a cross, to convert the equaliser. We had somehow salvaged the game and took it to a penalty shootout, which we somehow won 4-3. A massive let-off.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 3 Lobos BUAP (4-3 on penalties)

14/3/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (3rd) v Santos Laguna (7th)

Match

After that marathon match, there was no let-up, as three days later we faced a crucial league game. I went with the same starting eleven, which might have been brave considering the way we started the cup game. Of course, that was deliberate, and not at all because I pressed the spacebar once too often before I could pick the team...

Still, by the half hour mark, it looked like we had done the right thing as we went 2-0 up. But then, as seems to happen pretty much every time, the opposition got a goal back to give them a route back into the game. I again put the fear of God into the team at half time, as once again we were in danger of getting pegged back by a team that had barely been in the game. Jose Arturo Garcia got a third to give us some breathing space, but again Santos fought back, scoring their 2nd in the 85th minute to make a tense finish. We just about held out, taking a massive win. We go top as things stand, but Morelia are only a point behind, with two games in hand.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 2 Santos Laguna

18/3/2037 - Mexican Cup Semi Final - CHIVAS v Atlas

Match

Another home draw, but this time we will not be taking anything for granted, particularly since it is against our great rivals Atlas. I finally moved away from my three man attack to bring in a defensive midfielder, hopefully keeping us narrow, but adding some solidity. An uneventful first half gave way to a second half where we took an early lead through Vazquez. And of course I prepared for the onslaught, which came just two minutes later, and Atlas equalised. Sigh. Jose Eduardo Sanchez edged us back in front with a tap-in. But once again Valladolid was called upon to perform heroics to keep us ahead. Corner after corner was swung in - they had five in a row in stoppage time - but we held on. A great result, and we have another cup final to look forward to.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 1 Atlas

25/3/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (3rd) v Monterrey (13th)

Match

Finally we had a week's break to try and rest up those tired legs for the final run-in in the league and cup. We faced Monterrey after the break. But, unfortunately, quite a few of our players remained on a break - an international break. Six first choice players out, so if we win, I'll be amazed. Monterrey seemed to be unaffected, as they took just over a hundred seconds to go ahead. It was 3-1 by half time, and we looked absolutely beaten. They added a 4th in the second half, and I was left cursing scheduling for the first time since the Libertadores final with Boca.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 4 Monterrey

30/3/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (3rd) v Xolos Tijuana (6th)

Match

All my players were back at the club, so no excuses this time. Unfortunately, despite being back to full strength, we couldn't pull away from Tijuana as they pulled back from 2-0 down to draw the match 2-2. They scored half of their shots on target, and we managed just 20% of ours. Tells a story.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 2 Xolos Tijuana

eCpuaMX.png

KDWKt2w.png

a forameuss career

1/4/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (4th) v Leon (18th)

Match

We just about managed to beat the bottom side in the division, eventually triumphing 2-1. Once again we went 2-0 up and looked comfortable, but once again we leaked a potentially catastrophic goal. This time it didn't matter, but we need to tighten up defensively.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 1 Leon

3/4/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (3rd) v Celaya (16th)

Match

Another match against lower placed opposition, and one we have to win. Again though our poor form continued as they ran out 2-0 winners. We barely got near them all game, and that's a very disappointing result.

Final Score

CHIVAS 0 - 2 Celaya

5/4/2037 - Mexican First Division - Pumas (7th) v CHIVAS (3rd)

Match

Pumas took the lead in our penultimate league game, but we roared back to lead 2-1. For once, it looked like we were going to have a comeback win rather than our opponents, but Pumas got an equaliser to condemn us to another disappointing draw.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 2 Pumas

8/4/2037 - Mexican Cup Final - CHIVAS v Estudiantes Tecos

Match

This is probably the best draw we could have hoped for for the final. Estudiantes are a second division team, so on paper, we should have no trouble beating them. I do remember the match against Lobos though, where we scraped through, so I'll be wary of that. A win here could really pick up our morale ahead of our final league game. A 1-1 draw at full time was not what we wanted, but it's probably what we deserved. When it came to the penalty shootout, Estudiantes scored all of their penalties, while we crucially missed two, one fantastically saved, and the second striking the base of the post. Congratulations go to Estudiantes, they deserved this cup win.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 1 Estudiantes Tecos (2-4 on penalties)

11/4/2037 - Mexican First Division - Necaxa (4th) v CHIVAS (5th)

Match

Following our cup defeat, I held a team meeting to try and haul the side over the line. We face one more match against Necaxa in the league before the play-offs, which we are sure to be involved in now.

mtRvd9A.png

As you can see by the table, we can still finish third, but could conceivably end up 8th, and face a play-off quarter final against either Morelia or Pachuca, depending on who finishes top. There's a lot riding on this game. Necaxa struck first, taking the lead as they fired past Valladolid from a narrow angle. But then a well worked move ten minutes later saw Rivas jink past a defender and slam a drive against the keeper and in.

iKfBDH6.png

3HJiJCQ.png

Pinball in the box just after the hour mark ended with Necaxa heading against our post and in. They then added a third from a corner with six minutes to go, and the towel was well and truly thrown in. Luckily results went our way elsewhere to leave us in 6th position rather than 8th. If I understand the play-off system, then we'll be facing...Necaxa. Balls.

Final Score

Necaxa 3 - 1 CHIVAS

18/4/2037 - Mexican First Division Play-off Quarter Final - CHIVAS v Necaxa

Match

We needed a performance tonight, badly. Given the last game we played saw us lose convincingly to Necaxa, I'm not too hopeful for this one. But then at this stage last season, I made a brave tactical decision and moved from a 4-1-4-1 to a 4-3-3. This time, we're moving the other way, going back to our 4-1-4-1, desperate to try and win a game without conceding horribly at the same time. We're at home in the first leg, so keeping a clean sheet would be a fantastic result. To be honest, the game itself we should have won easily. Necaxa had one single shot on target, which they scored after a mix-up between goalkeeper and defender. That equalised our opening goal, but we managed to draw ahead in the tie and take a very important lead into the second leg.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 1 Necaxa

25/4/2037 - Mexican First Division Play-off Quarter Final - Necaxa v CHIVAS

Match

There isn't much to say about the match. We were fairly comfortable all the way through, several times almost taking what would be a crucial lead. But then in the 70th minute, a deep cross flew into our box, and somehow we managed to trip the Necaxa striker. They had a penalty, which they promptly converted. We couldn't fight our way back into the game, and with that our season is over.

Final Score

Necaxa 1 - 0 CHIVAS

qKKf9Ck.png

a forameuss career

u7aincw.png

IA4XZww.png

A bit of investment by the board as our stadium and training facilities get updated. 3000 seats isn't exactly epoch-defining, but it's some more money into the coffers if we can sell out those new seats each week.

p0FxHL1.png

But it's probably not going to offset the millions we've lost in sponsorship for the coming season. Hopefully not the start of a worrying trend.

uxiBxw8.png

Lvgurfk.png

Of course Hugo Pereira is our fans player of the year. He was fantastic, and we'll be relying on his goals again in the coming season.

etVzlNd.png

This shows how well we've fared going forward, with 65 goals being shared amongst our front three. However, this attacking nature has come at a price, as we've been somewhat leaky defensively. Sanchez and Bautista have been good though, despite this. I'm not unhappy with the players, especially when it's probably my tactics that are causing them to play badly.

i8rTdML.png

Our Champions League draw has been made, and I probably couldn't have hoped for a better one. Only three teams in each group, and we are far and away the best team in our section. If we don't qualify with a 100% record, it'll be disappointing. If we don't qualify altogether...

2TnCcUX.png

HaD9kTT.pngbdzF3QS.pngmiVzYOX.png

miVzYOX.pngLjaxz8Q.pngLjaxz8Q.png

Very happy with the business I've done over the break. I brought in two center backs, which were much needed, to add some quality and competition. But further forward we have added real quality. I also raised some money in player sales, getting a very good deal to let Chiquito go. He hadn't really featured too much, certainly not enough to turn down that kind of money. One thing I'm a bit annoyed about is that Ndaney, a Cameroonian, has arrived. I accepted before I realised, as my DoF had found him. He will become my only foreign player, and probably start a lot of my games. He's clearly a great player, so I shouldn't be annoyed, but I can now not say that I have won the Champions League with a home-grown team.

a forameuss career

18/7/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (5th) v Cruz Azul (6th)

Match

An opening season win involving our new signings. Just how we wanted to begin, although I would have liked to have won by more.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 0 Cruz Azul

25/7/2037 - Mexican First Division - Xolos Tijuana (16th) v CHIVAS (8th)

Match

This is the match I've been waiting for. We caught on fire massively, especially Hugo Pereira, who managed to net five of our six goals. Hopefully this is the start of a run.

Final Score

Xolos Tijuana 3 - 6 CHIVAS

29/7/2037 - North American Champions League - RC Riviere Pilote (3rd) v CHIVAS (2nd)

Match

Riviere of Martinique face us in the opening game of our Champions League group. We absolutely dominated them from start to finish, managing 22 shots on target, another 27 off target, and 68% of possession. Crucially we also got six goals. A crushing victory, and a great start to the campaign.

Final Score

RC Riviere Pilote 0 - 6 CHIVAS

YXeQBbU.png

lB0gJuC.png

suGMkOr.png

a forameuss career

2/8/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (1st) v Jaguares (2nd)

Match

A top of the table clash, and a chance for us to go three wins out of three. We did just that, and it really looks like the team has turned a corner over the break. Maybe it's the new signings, but we just generally look more competent. We haven't really been worried defensively yet, but Jaguares tried their best, fighting back twice to almost level the game.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 2 Jaguares

8/8/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (1st) v Santos Laguna (15th)

Match

We need to keep this form going, as you never know when we'll drop and start needing to grind out results. Strike while the iron is hot! We stick with the 4-4-1-1 which is serving us well. It served us well again as we set down an ominous marker for the rest of the sides in the division with a dominant 4-0 victory. Two goals in each half, job well and truly done.

Final Score

CHIVAS 4 - 0 Santos Laguna

22/8/2037 - Mexican First Division - Monterrey (12th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

We're in such good form that we shouldn't struggle against 12th placed Monterrey, but we have to guard against complacency. We'll stick to our gameplan, and that should be enough. In the end, it was enough, but only just. Still, a 1-0 victory says a lot about us, and hopefully shows that we now know how to grind out results. That will be so important come the business end of the season.

Final Score

Monterrey 0 - 1 CHIVAS

26/8/2037 - North American Champions League - CHIVAS (1st) v Aguila (2nd)

Match

Aguila of El Salvador visit Guadalajara for our Champions League tie. A win would put us in pole position to go through with only having four games to play. The 3-0 win we managed puts us three points ahead at the half-way point, with nine goals scored and none conceded. We shouldn't have any trouble topping the group and going through to the quarter finals.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 0 Aguila

29/8/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (1st) v Toluca (18th)

Match

Top versus bottom in the Liga MX. We were massive favourites once again, and we didn't disappoint. A clear 2-0 win, and job done.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 0 Toluca

gJn3frO.png

QzT18tl.png

Y43XNC4.png

a forameuss career

1/9/2037 - Mexican First Division - Queretaro (16th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

Another match against a team struggling in the table, and another one we'll be absolutely expected to win. I keep waiting for the time when we start to crumble. We had a penalty in stoppage time of the first half and missed it, and suddenly it looked like we might have hit the game where we may struggle. I consoled Pereira after the miss, and minutes into the second half he repaid me by getting the opening goal. We stay top by a point, with a game in hand over Morelia, and a massive nine points ahead of 3rd place.

Final Score

Queretaro 0 - 1 CHIVAS

12/9/2037 - Mexican First Division - Tigres (7th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

A test for us here. We've had a run of playing teams a lot lower than us, and now we play Tigres, who although are lower than us, are a team that will be a bit tougher on paper than others. It certainly looked like a closer game as we went in at half time 2-1 up following a spirited Tigres performance. On the hour mark a defensive tackle of ours skewed agonisingly towards our own goal, and Tigres capitalised firing a finish past our keeper into the far corner. We tried to take the lead again, but couldn't quite break through the ranks of Tigres defenders. Our first slip of the season, but crucially it's not a defeat.

Final Score

Tigres 2 - 2 CHIVAS

16/9/2037 - North American Champions League - CHIVAS (1st) v RC Riviere Pilote (3rd)

Match

We slipped a little in our last game, but there should be no danger of doing that today. A win will all but secure our passage into the next round, provided Aguila don't make up at least a ten goal swing (plus whatever we manage today). I fielded a rotated side, giving some of the less glamorous players a shot. Four minutes in we were one up, and it started to look like a routine win, but then suddenly against the run of play, Riviere were level. The home fans were shocked as we conceded our first of the campaign, but soon after we were back ahead and in control as Ochoa slammed in. He added a third ten minutes before half time, and we could calm down a bit. A fourth was added in the second half, but the final scoreline was almost incidental. It was 4-1, we got the three points, and now Aguila need to win their final two games with a swing of thirteen goals.

Final Score

CHIVAS 4 - 1 RC Riviere Pilote

19/9/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (1st) v America(MEX) (3rd)

Match

A massive game in the league as 1st play 3rd. It's a very distant third of course, but that won't matter once the teams are on the pitch. We can open up a very good lead over Morelia with a win, so we'll be going all out for that. All the first choice players return after most were rested in the Champions League. We went in at half time one goal down, probably deservedly, and then almost watched it get worse as America had a goal harshly ruled out. I pushed players forward, desperate for an equaliser, and eventually resorted to sacrificing a midfielder for an extra striker. Just as Garcia was about to come on, another sub, Cameroonian Ndaney rose highest to head home a cross. We pressed and pressed for a winner, but after this scare, I'm just glad we remain unbeaten.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 1 America(MEX)

23/9/2037 - Mexican First Division - Atlas (11th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

Our rivals Atlas have fallen on harsh times recently. They're languishing down in 11th currently, but derbies are always tense affairs. There's no leveller like playing your greatest rival, so we'll need to be careful. The longer we go without losing, the more pressure gets heaped on us, but that doesn't mean we're wanting to lose. Could we go all season without losing? Well we've gone another game at least, although it should have been with a win, rather than the draw we managed. We controlled for at least an hour before Atlas really grew into the game, pushing and pushing for an equaliser that came in the last ten minutes. Again, I'll take the draw from these tough games.

Final Score

Atlas 1 - 1 CHIVAS

26/9/2037 - Mexican First Division - Leon (5th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

For a long period of this game, it looked like we were going to be facing yet another draw. For part of it, we were worried we might actually lose. But after going all out again, we roared back to equalise and then take the lead with minutes to go. We dominated the game, but it's starting to look a bit like the days of last season when we just couldn't convert the many chances we were having. As long as we keep picking up points, I'm happy.

Final Score

Leon 1 - 2 CHIVAS

30/9/2037 - Mexican First Division - Atlante (13th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

And that's it. Our unbeaten run is at an end as we fall to a very disappointing 1-0 defeat to Atlante. Just not our day, and it's clear this kind of result has been coming. We just need to make sure that this doesn't derail what has been a fantastic season.

Final Score

Atlante 1 - 0 CHIVAS

6ENenT2.png

vacyPsf.png

CYaz4fY.png

a forameuss career

3/10/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (1st) v Necaxa (18th)

Match

A new month, and you couldn't really ask for a better match to start it off with than one against the bottom team in the division. If we lose today, we're in danger of getting derailed, so we'll be hoping for a good result. Morelia are breathing down our necks, and the sides below them have caught both of us. Luckily we were at the races today, and managed a very comfortable 3-0 win. Strangely, the stats - apart from possession - were very close in terms of chances. We finally look like we're taking the chances we make. Bodes well.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 0 Necaxa

UIQx1NG.png

An offer from an unlikely place, as the Czech Republic offered me the national team post. They had just been eliminated from World Cup Qualifying, so not even as if I had a tournament to look forward to. Have to say, it's not a role that interests me at all. It was rejected.

17/10/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (1st) v Puebla (5th)

Match

We have a match against Morelia on the horizon, and with us dead level on points, a win is vital here. Hugo Pereira scored his first goal in five games to take the lead. Vazquez extended it, and then Pereira added another to move us into comfortable territory. The fans then turned their eyes to Morelia's match with Cruz Azul. As we taxied to a win, Morelia just couldn't break them down, and they dropped two precious points.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 0 Puebla

21/10/2037 - North American Champions League - Aguila (2nd) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

With the match against Morelia in mind, we rested a few players, but a Hugo Pereira double put paid to the very, very narrow chance that Aguila might make it through instead of us. A 7-0 win for them would've done it, but instead they watched us win 2-0. Comfortable, and we're in good form going into the Morelia game.

Final Score

Aguila 0 - 2 CHIVAS

dSBqRmp.png

And we have our 100% record. An easy qualification in the end, but you can only beat what gets put in front of you. We now have a long break, with the quarter finals falling at the start of the next stage. There's no crazy Libertadores style scheduling here, although a potential two-legged final will fall right in between the potential play-off final for the league. Could get busy.

24/10/2037 - Mexican First Division - Morelia (2nd) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

The big one. At this late stage of the season, a win for either side would consign the other to second spot, and possibly give themselves the push for finishing top. We are the favourites, despite being away from home, but we'll need to be careful. It was the usual tight game, but in the 62nd minute Pablo Guerra battled through and slotted home to give us the lead. But only four minutes later, Morelia were level, perhaps against the run of play. We had to settle for that finish, but a draw probably suits us more than it suits Morelia. With two games to go, we're two points ahead. Ours to lose.

Final Score

Morelia 1 - 1 CHIVAS

1/11/2037 - Mexican First Division - CHIVAS (2nd) v Pumas (8th)

Match

Pumas had to play this one just two days after triumphing in the Mexican Cup (which we weren't involved in due to being in the Champions League). Morelia had also already won their game, so we came into the game in 2nd place. A draw would put us back top, but Huge Pereira had other ideas, giving us the lead against Pumas, who had just been brought to ten men through a straight red. We made the points safe with a second through Sahagun, and that means that a draw in our final game should be enough.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 0 Pumas

7/11/2037 - Mexican First Division - Pachuca (11th) v CHIVAS (1st)

Match

Now a top spot only gives us the "best" draw in the play-offs, but still, the mental boost it will give us will be significant. We made a great start through Walter Rodriguez's goal, which was made even better when Morelia went behind in their match against Jaguares. Of course, Pachuca equalised, and then so did Morelia, to make things a bit more interesting. Hugo Pereira hates interesting though, and put us ahead once again. We unfortunately conceded a late equaliser, but thanks to our superior goalscoring this season, we remained on top despite Morelia managing to beat Jaguares. We'll go into the play-offs against Pumas to try and win our second stage title.

Final Score

Pachuca 2 - 2 CHIVAS

ppd9st8.png

a forameuss career

19/11/2037 - Mexican First Division Play-off Quarter Final - Pumas v CHIVAS

Match

Yet again, scheduling has screwed us. We have a large number of first team regulars travelling back from matches, so will be unavailable for this match. I expected a defeat after that, and I wasn't wrong. It was 2-1, so we did get a crucial away goal. We'll need to be much better in the second leg,

Final Score

Pumas 2 - 1 CHIVAS

22/11/2037 - Mexican First Division Play-off Quarter Final - CHIVAS v Pumas

Match

Sahagun gave us the leveller we craved late in the first half to put us back in control of the tie with a more first choice team. We managed to close out the game like that, and Pumas held little threat as we did. On to the semi finals.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 0 Pumas

tofZLkQ.png

25/11/2037 - Mexican First Division Play-off Semi Final - Cruz Azul v CHIVAS

Match

The match was fairly boring until the 39th minute when a long clearance fell to Hugo Pereira just inside the Cruz Azul half. He was unchallenged, but for some reason their keeper decided to hang around the edge of their box. He gave Pereira all the time in the world to pick his spot and loft it over into the far corner. Away goal. Cruz Azul got back into the game afterwards, getting a few chances to equalise, but on the hour mark Pereira added a second, and probably crucial goal. They got a goal back soon after, but we restored the two goal lead again to put us in firm control. With just over ten minutes to go, Pereira was brought down in the penalty box, and he got himself up to smash home the resulting penalty and get his hat-trick.

Final Score

Cruz Azul 1 - 4 CHIVAS

28/11/2037 - Mexican First Division Play-off Semi Final - CHIVAS v Cruz Azul

Match

The very definition of a dreadful match as we had to sit through a dour goalless draw. But still, it meant we moved into the final with little bother.

Final Score

CHIVAS 0 - 0 Cruz Azul

26AgbjD.png

f0CizTk.png

I expected Morelia in the final to continue our rivalry, but instead it'll be Tigres who await after their fantastic performance in the other semi-final.

30/11/2037 - Mexican First Division Play-off Final - Tigres v CHIVAS

Match

The first leg of our play-off final against the mighty Tigres, who despatched Morelia in the semi-final. I expected a tougher match, I really did, but in the end we were rarely troubled. They had a goal disallowed in the 2nd minute, but from that moment on we absolutely dominated, eventually winning 3-0. Away from home, three away goals, leading into the second leg of a play-off final. Job done?

Final Score

Tigres 0 - 3 CHIVAS

5/12/2037 - Mexican First Division Play-off Final - CHIVAS v Tigres

Match

Just sixty-five seconds into the game, we were ahead through Hugo Pereira. In 26 minutes, we were three up, and the fans in the stands were already lighting up the grills and wrapping burritos in foil ready for a party. A Pereira hat-trick to cement his status as the leagues top scorer. After that, not much happened, and we coasted to another wonderful league title. Fantastic performance.

Final Score

CHIVAS 3 - 0 Tigres

a31TnEF.png

ziEIqnt.png

0jHTnmS.png

a forameuss career

We returned after our brief break to face two things - the closing stage of the league, and then the continuance of the Champions League. It's clear which one is more important. As such, I flew through the league games, not paying enough attention to give them proper write-ups. As such, I'll just show the results, and update fully for the play-offs, and how we fared in the Champions League.

iPxayIk.png

It was a terrible start to be honest, as we fell behind against Cruz Azul, but after that we looked a lot more confident, find the same stride and swagger that was evident towards the end of the opening stage. Still, seems too many draws.

39xYUW2.png

a forameuss career

10/2/2038 - North American Champions League Quarter Final - Atlas v CHIVAS

Match

We drew Atlas in the Quarter Finals, which to be honest was not the draw I hoped for. Our rivals had fallen by the wayside a little recently, but they would still be very tough opponents. There are a few other teams I would have rather faced. In terms of the game itself, it was a nightmare start as we fell behind early on. We just couldn't find our way back into the game, and fell to a disappointing first leg defeat. We need to score back home in the second leg, and just hope that Atlas don't do the same.

Final Score

Atlas 1 - 0 CHIVAS

w8OFbc4.png

We were pretty meh in the league too, losing one and drawing one of our four games to keep us adrift from the league leaders.

d5AkR5X.png

a forameuss career

10/3/2038 - North American Champions League Quarter Final - CHIVAS v Atlas

Match

The next match fell a month to the day after the first leg, giving us time to inflict a morale boosting 1-0 defeat to Atlas in the league. This is a completely different competition though. As I said before, we need to score at least one. More importantly though, we need to stop them scoring. An away goal at this stage would be pretty terminal.

When the game came, it was a performance that was as good as our first leg one was bad. We bullied them to be honest. Going in 3-0 ahead at half time meant we could go out after the break and enjoy ourselves. Two goals would have sent Atlas through at that stage, but to be honest they never really looked like they'd manage one. We never really let up, adding another goal, and sending our bitter rivals out of the Champions League easily.

Final Score

CHIVAS 4 - 0 Atlas

7/4/2038 - North American Champions League Semi Final - CHIVAS v Puebla

Match

Another all Mexican tie as we face Puebla for a place in the final of the Champions League. It really depends which side turns up - the one from the first leg against Atlas or the one from the second.For most of the game it seemed like something in between, as we held on to a priceless 1-0 lead. Away goals of course count, so we tried desperately to stop Puebla getting one. Unfortunately, in the 91st minute they headed home from a corner, and the match was level. Absolutely gutting turn of events, as a few seconds changes the match from being fantastic, to being awful. We once again have to score in the return leg.

Final Score

CHIVAS 1 - 1 Puebla

14/4/2038 - North American Champions League Semi Final - Puebla v CHIVAS

Match

We had to score today, that was unavoidable. When we got a penalty ten minutes in, it looked like we would manage it, but Pereira could only smash it against the keeper. We were left hanging until late on in the game when Pereira atoned for his earlier miss by scoring the opening goal, and the crucial away goal. We held on, and booked ourself a Champions League Final against Morelia.

Final Score

Puebla 0 - 1 CHIVAS

2VmUwrY.png

JtVn3tr.png

0bW4gpl.png

It's funny we should be drawn against Morelia in the Champions League. If you look at the league table, you'll see that the final league positions were such that we faced them in the play-offs too. I got the scheduling wrong for the Champions League final, now realising that the matches fell right between our quarter finals. We now face four matches in eleven days against Morelia.

17/4/2038 - Mexican First Division Playoff Quarter Final - CHIVAS v Morelia

Match

First blood Morelia. All I can say is that I hope the other three matches don't go this way. Morelia dominated us, eventually winning 2-0. If I had to pick one, I would say this is the match I would want to have as my "terrible performance" day, as I can turn this tie around in the second leg. If we start like this in the Champions League though, it could be all over before we invite them back to our place in the second leg. Must do better.

Final Score

CHIVAS 0 - 2 Morelia

21/4/2038 - North American Champions League Final - CHIVAS v Morelia

Match

Morelia almost repeated the feat they managed in the first leg, going 1-0 up early on to get another crucial away goal. But this time, instead of seemingly cowering, we fought back through - who else - Hugo Pereira. He got the equaliser, and then scored a second from the penalty spot to put us ahead in the match that really matters. Second blood goes to us, but we're only halfway in our Mexican World Series.

Final Score

CHIVAS 2 - 1 Morelia

24/4/2038 - Mexican First Division Playoff Quarter Final - Morelia v CHIVAS

Match

We're 2-0 down, but this one is a tough one to plan for. Do we lie down, and guarantee that we only have one match left in the season to go all out, at the same time giving Morelia something else to think about. Or do we go ahead and try and win this one convincingly, burning Morelia's confidence ahead of the far more important game mid-week? In the end, I played as strong a side as I could. In the 11th minute, we scored the opening goal through Arenas, and suddenly we could start to dream of possibly going into a semi-final. Still a long way to go though, and we need two more goals to go ahead. My assistant advised me that Pereira was not having a good game around the 35 minute mark, so I prepared to take him off. Just as his number was getting held up, he slipped the offside trap, and smsahed home our 2nd goal. I still took him off though. Iron fist. Unfortunately, the second half did not yield any more goals. This meant, with the scores tied in every way, Morelia would go through as the team with the best record over the season. I suppose that's fair, but it still annoys me. No matter - we have a very big game coming up in midweek.

Final Score

CHIVAS 0 - 2 Morelia

Mu7kpKn.png

A poignant time to receive this message. In my biggest game since I went into the Libertadores with Boca, I reach my 800th game. I think I reached 1900 with my successful attempt on FM13, so we're well on our way. Will I remember this one for the right reason though?

28/4/2038 - North American Champions League Final - Morelia v CHIVAS

Match

Ten minutes in, a long through ball was just too much for our high line, and Morelia slipped in the opening goal of the night to edge ahead on away goals. I thought we'd have to score, so it doesn't really change anything, but it's still a blow to our hopes. We huffed and puffed up to half-time, but it was clear a change was needed. Of course, since this is a hugely important game, I decided to throw in a totally untested formation. In came the 4-4-2 Diamond, with another striker thrown up front. Within forty-four seconds of the restart, we were level on the night, and ahead overall. Morelia roared back, forcing a fine flying save from Valladolid. They were having the better of the ball, and after a long goal kick was returned past our high line, they slotted home their second, tieing the game up totally. Extra-time beckoned, but as the clock ticked over to the 91st minute, a corner was cleared as far as Pereira, who threw a cross in to Canas, who skipped a defenders challenge and then smashed a finish home to spark amazing scenes in the away end. Just minutes later, the final whistle blew. My 800th game, and probably my last with CHIVAS, and we're North American Champions. What a finish

Final Score

Morelia 2 - 2 CHIVAS

40YROAM.png

VAT4dXp.png

Iuffbkm.png

hmnQLV8.png

FhSBPO1.png

It's that time again - I've very much enjoyed my time at Chivas, and my only regret is not being able to win the Libertadores due to the bug. Still, I can leave with my head held high, and I have no interest in playing through another league season just to add a Club World Cup to the total.

y2hVaIH.png

a forameuss career

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| ASCII TABLE OF HISTORY (AND MANAGERIAL SHAME) |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Season | Team | Country | Continent | League | Finish | Cups | Continental | Notes |
| 2013 | Henan Jianye | China | Asia | First Division | 1st | Semi-final | --- | League winners |
| 2014 | Henan Jianya | China | Asia | Super League | 15th* | DNE | | Resigned after 9 games |
| 2014/15 | Newcastle United Jets | Australia | Asia | A League | 5th | --- | --- | Finals Series Elimination Round |
| 2015/16 | Sydney FC | Australia | Asia | A League | 1st | --- | Group Stage | Finals Series Semis |
| 2016/17 | Sydney FC | Australia | Asia | A League | 1st | --- | 1st KO Rd. | FINALS SERIES WINNERS |
| 2017/18 | Sydney FC | Australia | Asia | A League | 1st | --- | 1st KO Rd. | Finals Series Runners-up |
| 2018/19 | Sydney FC | Australia | Asia | A League | 3rd | --- | Group Stage | Finals Series Semis |
| 2020 | Ulsan Hyundai | S. Korea | Asia | K LEAGUE | 6th+ | Qtr Final | --- | Arrived during the season |
| 2021 | Suwon Bluewings | S. Korea | Asia | K LEAGUE | 2nd | WINNERS | WINNERS | Korean FA Cup and Asian |
| | | | | | | | | Champions League winners |
| 2022 | UNEMPLOYED | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2023 | UNEMPLOYED | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2023 | Peru | Peru | S. America | WC Qualifying | 4th | --- | - | 4th at the end of the year |
| 2024 | Peru | Peru | S. America | WC Qualifying | 5th* | --- | - | 5th when I resigned |
| 2024 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Opening | 1st | --- | --- | |
| 2025 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | --- | Group Stage | 1ST DIVISION CHAMPIONS (as |
| | | | | | | | | open/close stage winners) |
| 2025 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Opening | 1st | --- | --- | |
| 2026 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | --- | 1st KO Rd. | 1ST DIVISION CHAMPIONS (as |
| | | | | | | | | open/close stage winners) |
| 2026 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Opening | 1st | --- | --- | Moved to Boca in December |
| 2027 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | DNE | RUNNERS UP | Copa Lib. Runners up |
| 2028 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Opening | 1st | --- | WINNERS | COPA SUD. WINNERS, CLUB WORLD |
| | | | | | | | | CUP WINNERS, Recopa Runners-up, |
| | | | | | | | | Supercup Runners up |
| 2028 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | Semi-final | Semi-Final | Copa Lib. Semis |
| 2029 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Opening | 7th | --- | WINNERS | Copa Sud. Runners up, RECOPA |
| | | | | | | | | WINNERS, Supercup Runners up |
| 2029 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | Qtr Final | WINNERS | COPA LIB. WINNERS, resigned |
| 2029 | Saudi Arabia | S. Arabia | Asia | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2030 | Saudi Arabia | S. Arabia | Asia | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2031 | Saudi Arabia | S. Arabia | Asia | Asian Cup | --- | Qtr Final | --- | Knocked out in Asian Cup qrtr |
| | | | | | | | | final, resigned |
| 2031 | New England Rev. | USA | N. America | MLS | 7th+ | DNE | --- | Arrived with 12 games to go |
| 2032 | New England Rev. | USA | N. America | MLS | 14th | Qtr Final | --- | SACKED at the end of the season |
| 2033 | San Jose Earthquakes | USA | N. America | MLS | 13th | 4th Round | --- | |
| 2034 | San Jose Earthquakes | USA | N. America | MLS | 17th | WINNERS | --- | RESIGNED at end of season |
| 2035 | UNEMPLOYED | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2036 | UNEMPLOYED | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2036 | CD Guadalajara | Mexico | N. America | LIGA MX Open | 1st(P) | WINNERS | --- | Joined Summer 2036, Open Cup |
| | | | | | | | | winners, open stage winners |
| 2037 | CD Guadalajara | Mexico | N. America | LIGA MX Close | 6th(Q) | Runners-up | --- | |
| 2037 | CD Guadalajara | Mexico | N. America | LIGA MX Open | 1st(P) | DNE | --- | Open stage winners |
| 2037 | CD Guadalajara | Mexico | N. America | LIGA MX Open | 5th(Q) | DNE | WINNERS | NACL WINNERS |
| Key: * - left during season, DNE - Did not enter, + - arrived during season, (P) - Play-off winners, (S) - Play-off semis, (Q) - Play-off 1/4s |

It's looking good as the number of jobs mounts up. We're up to four out of fourteen, but I've manouevered myself quite well I think. The one that is annoying me is the African Champions League. I want a club who can win it within a couple of seasons, and these jobs seem hard to come by. In the meantime, I've been scouring for international jobs, and that's where our story goes next...

The Emile Heskey Hall of Fame (EHHoF)

As I leave Chivas, it's now time for another couple of entries into the hall of fame. I was tempted to put Pereira in, but he told me that he doesn't accept substitute roles, and there was no way he was going to displace either Nestor Mayo, or Heskey. So he misses out. I do have two new positions filled though - excited!

Edgar Valladolid

yHZa3qv.png

lVNfrpL.png

I thought I'd struggle to bring in a keeper that I really liked, as opposed to one just to fill a space, but with Edgar, I've found one. I identified a gap in Chivas' armour, and Valladolid became my first signing in an attempt to fill that. He's been fantastic since, even if his ratings haven't stood up to that. Several of our wins I would rest not at the feet of our midfielders, but at the hands of Valladolid, such was his importance. So for now, he's part of this burgeoning team.

Jose de Jesus Sahagun

ZGvtoPK.png

1Oc96Ap.png

An old, but fantastically consistent performer during my time at the club. He suffered a little when I went 4-3-3, but he proved his worth when he returned to the side, and scored some very important goals to fire us to Champions League glory. Fully deserves his place in my opinion.

The Team

GK - Edgar Valladolid (history)

DL

DC

DR

DM - Ben Kantarovski (history)

MC - James Brown (history)

MC - Brett Emerton (history)

AML - Jose de Jesus Sahagun (history)

AMR

SC - Nestor Mayo (history)

SC - Emile Heskey (history)

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| [b]GK[/b] |
| [b]Edgar Valladolid[/b] |
| [url="http://i.imgur.com/yHZa3qv.png"]Stats[/url] | [url="http://i.imgur.com/lVNfrpL.png"]History[/url] |
| |
| |
| [b]DL[/b] [b]DC[/b] [b]DR[/b] |
| VACANT VACANT VACANT |
| |
| |
| |
| [b]DM[/b] |
| [b]Ben Kantarovski[/b] |
| [url="http://i.imgur.com/Oc6RFav.png"]Stats[/url] | [url="http://i.imgur.com/5stumld.png"]History[/url] |
| |
| |
| [b]MC[/b] [b]MC[/b] |
| [b]James Brown[/b] [b]Brett Emerton[/b] |
| [url="http://i.imgur.com/eBcyWso.png"]Stats[/url] | [url="http://i.imgur.com/IrzMbtQ.png"]History[/url] [url="http://i.imgur.com/MVRcsoX.png"]Stats[/url] | [url="http://i.imgur.com/P2nXsrw.png"]History[/url] |
| |
| |
| [b]AL[/b] [b]AR[/b] |
| [b]J. Sahagun[/b] VACANT |
| [url="http://i.imgur.com/ZGvtoPK.png"]Stats[/url] | [url="http://i.imgur.com/1Oc96Ap.png"]History[/url] |
| |
| |
| |
| [b]SC[/b] [b]SC[/b] |
| [b]Nestor Mayo[/b] [b]Emile Heskey[/b] |
| [url="http://i.imgur.com/HzlF4Aq.png"]Stats[/url] | [url="http://i.imgur.com/fKdOJQx.png"]History[/url] [url="http://i.imgur.com/JgQnQ68.png"]Stats[/url] | [url="http://i.imgur.com/UniQf7i.png"]History[/url] |
| |
| |
| |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Venezuela_football_association.png

a forameuss career

Venezuela

FcArqYg.png

FcArqYg.png

htD0E5B.png

I found myself heading further South after my time in Guadalajara, taking over the Venezuelan national team. It may seem a bold move, but when you look closer, this could turn out to be the best offer I could have hoped for.

xrZrDl2.png

The previous manager was sacked after a disappointing World Cup campaign. They had a tough group, with England and Spain both high in the rankings, but I would have had them as a possible 2nd place. Unfortunately they could only manage a draw in their final group game against Spain, so they went through instead.

RlLNDq9.png

owTNAZ5.png

GuJLPnK.png

You may have noticed our World Ranking in that first screen. We're currently 14th, which explains why it was a disappointing World Cup. Out of all South American sides, we are 3rd ranked in the World, below only Argentina and Brazil. The former are top of the pile, so they'll be tough opposition, but for me, Brazil are beatable. This is a side that can really go places.

And the best part? We're only nine months away from the Copa America in Colombia. A short stint, but hopefully a successful one.

a forameuss career

Venezuela

PZGFa4X.png

AENuA0R.png

J6x2Dti.png

We have three absolutely stand-out players in the national pool, and you see them here. They're far and away the best players we have at our disposal, but there's a solid team backing them up. It'll be a worry if any of the above get injured though.

a forameuss career

Venezuela

My first match as manager was against Panama, which was a good solid start. I would have liked to have had someone of a better calibre, but Panama will do given most of our matches seem to be against the football powerhouses of the Caribbean and the surrounding areas. Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Isles...they're not the greatest. We'll need better tests going into the Copa America.

yonnieZ.png

Panama 1 - 3 Venezuela

USA 1 - 1 Venezuela

Barbados 1 - 7 Venezuela

Bermuda 1 - 4 Venezuela

British Virgin Islands 1 - 3 Venezuela

Click on the links for records of the game, apart from the USA one, which I lost. Basically, a pretty good start to my career, although apart from raising morale slightly, I'm not entirely convinced on the usefulness of a winter jolly around the Caribbean. Still, four wins out of five, the fifth match a creditable draw against a good USA side. I would have really liked a match against someone like Colombia or Mexico to test ourselves against the sort of opposition we'll face at the Copa America, but this will do.

e5ZmRQQ.png

Bonaire 0 - 6 Venezuela

Martinique 0 - 1 Venezuela

St Kitts and Nevis 0 - 2 Venezuela

Costa Rica 0 - 2 Venezuela

We signed off for the Copa America with another four wins, but you could argue that none of them really tested us. Did we really learn much from spanking six past Bonaire? They're the only side in World football that Gibraltar have managed to beat, stats fans. Did we even learn much from beating Costa Rica? We haven't been beaten yet, but a test is on the horizon. The Copa America.

3Ua2IYM.png

FIFA don't seem to care that we're only beating diddies as we hover around a consistent ranking. Where will we be following the tournament though?

a forameuss career

Venezuela

copa_america_colombia_2001_0_63136.jpg

Group A: Colombia vs Venezuela (Metropolitano Roberto Melendez, Colombia)

tOODe1s.png

After persisting with a five man defence for most of my preparation, I decided to be a bit more adventurous and stick with a 4-1-2-2-1 in the competition proper, and for this first match against Colombia.

wQoh7gu.png

Unfortunately, it was not the result we had hoped for. My first defeat as Venezuela manager could not have come at a worse time really. We're now just another defeat away from being eliminated.

a forameuss career

Venezuela

Group A: Venezuela vs Chile (Metropolitano Roberto Melendez, Colombia)

k3X4WY2.png

I reluctantly stick with the same formation and tactics as the first game, this time up against an orthodox 4-4-2. Chile should put up less of a fight than Colombia, but we need to be careful.

H7KgXkt.png

It took us until the 80th minute to put the game to bed, so this was quite a nervy game throughout. A draw would have kept us alive, but only just. Only a win would really have done, and that's what we got. We go into the final game against Ecuador hoping to top the group with a win, if Chile can do us a favour against Colombia.

a forameuss career

Venezuela

Group A: Ecuador vs Venezuela (El Campin, Colombia)

wGtMepq.png

We match up with our formations. We should have enough about us to beat Ecuador, but stranger things have happened.

dajRv7q.png

We're hitting our stride at the right time, or at least just one game late.

Pob6ZRU.png

Unfortunately Colombia grabbed that top spot in the group, leaving us with a less than ideal draw in the quarter finals theoretically. We could have got Argentina or Brazil. Instead, we got Uruguay.

znuWB18.png

ZaGlShJ.png

Colombia vs Peru is an interesting one, but the other two matches should go the way of the giants. We're likely to face one of them in the semis, if we get that far.

a forameuss career

Venezuela

Quarter Final: Venezuela vs Uruguay (Metropolitano Roberto Melendez, Colombia)

L2HJvgb.png

Stick to what you know. For the most part we've performed with this formation, so I'm reluctant to change.

AGTJgKW.png

And we just go rolling on. Another thoroughly professional performance sees us into the semis to face tournament favourites Argentina.

JWk5Ccf.png

a forameuss career

Venezuela

Semi Final: Venezuela vs Argentina (Metropolitano Roberto Melendez, Colombia)

da8i80z.png

This should be our first massive test. Colombia was a test, but perhaps shouldn't have been given how we've ended up performing in the tournament. Argentina will be difficult though, absolutely no question about it. Colombia face Brazil in the other semi-final, so even if we win, we'll have to face either the second favourite, or a team who have already humbled us. Crunch time.

As you can see from the formation, I crazily decided to do something different. I had been playing with one up front for the entire tournament, and pretty much my entire time with Venezuela. But today, for the biggest game of my spell, I changed it.

Why did I do that? Well John de la Cruz isn't just the worst striker I brought with me, he's also a physical specimen. He's rocket fast, and has great stats for stretching a defence if the team is set up the right way. I had a crazy thought of sitting deep, letting Argentina come onto us, then hitting on the break with our first choice striker Rodriguez, and our nth choice striker Cruz. It was so mental it just had to work.

RNqcv0t.png

I can't really describe it other than saying this. What. A. Game.

We fully deserved to be ahead going in at the break, and when Perez doubled iour lead to two, you could easily argue that we deserved that too. My crazy gamble seemed to be paying off, with Argentina seemingly unable to break through our defence, and not coping with our movement up front.

But then the fightback started. They got a goal back, and we retreated into ourselves, inviting more and more pressure. It eventually told in the 80th minute when Argentina were awarded a contentious penalty. They converted it to draw level, and suddenly we were staring down the barrel of a probable defeat if a rampant Argentina played on like they were. But straight from the kick off, we took the game to them, then awarded a penalty of our own. Richard Ochoa converted it, and we had completed one of the biggest robberies in the history of the game. Dominated in second half possession and in shots, but not in scoreline. We would be in the final.

vgKQa3E.png

But we would not be playing Brazil, as I had expected. It's Colombia, and a repeat of the tournaments opening game.

a forameuss career

Venezuela

Final: Venezuela vs Colombia (Metropolitano Roberto Melendez, Colombia)

bIDJrYP.png

I may have been bold throwing in the untested formation in the semi-final, but in my opinion, it's even more bold to keep it for the final. Against Argentina I was preying on the back three, but will it work against a more orthodox 4-4-2 diamond? Playing staff remain unchanged - we all want revenge for that opening day defeat.

RCbkCuA.png

Colombia are favourites, and our keeper is penned as the important man on our side. They can't think much of us.

bttI2h8.png

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Take a bow, all of you.

We proved that it's not about how much possession you have - it's what you do with it. It was split 60/40, but you wouldn't know it as we got revenge in the most outlandish way. It was 3-0 in just over half an hour, and from there it was absolutely over as a contest. John La Cruz even got a goal, which I'm so happy for. It reflects fantastically on my faith in him. But seriously, a fantastic performance from start to finish. Copa America champions, and that's five out of fourteen.

oQPfLjY.png

K9VVcNp.png

ctE0pVK.png

ApJl5VF.png

cNUzxEA.png

n4Dfh7B.png

pthQH5H.png

WCRfSF6.png

I wondered out loud before the tournament where we would be in the rankings following the Copa America, and the answer is 8th. That's a new record for the country, and fantastic given some of the countries we have overtaken. Hell, if Brazil had been in the final instead of Colombia, and we had beaten them, it's likely we would have been even higher.

But even though I've not even been in this role for a year yet, it's already time to move on. The marathon World Cup Qualifying tournament for South America starts in the Autumn, but if I'm honest with myself, I don't like my chances of doing well when I get there. In three years time, the squad will look a lot different, and our U20s are not doing too well. The future isn't bright enough for me to spend another three years on what could be an impossible dream. Time to see what else is out there.

pHxD3BL.png

Brilliant, great achievement. One quick question, why is it U.S.A and Mexico under 20s and under 23s. Haha

You know, I have no idea. They're invited sides into the tournament, as South America only have ten sides, so they can make up three groups of four. I assume they send youth sides because they also have the Gold Cup to play, but it's never really explained. I've seen Mexico put in a youth side to the Gold Cup too, but I think that mirrors real life in a way, given Mexico don't take the tournament that seriously.

Archived