[FM14] This isn't a career...this is a dynasty

forameuss

290px-New_England_Revolution_logo.svg.png

This isn't a career...this is a dynasty

a forameuss career

New England Revolution

P0fCFvD.png

We've taken off at a jog rather than a sprint, achieving solid, if not spectacular, results. If we can sustain this over a season, we'll probably be in the play-offs, but the chances of being consistent? Well...they're slim. A 4-1 win over New York Red Bulls was very satisfying though.

bef0jyD.png

XDESKl4.png

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a forameuss career

New England Revolution

9l9WMZc.png

If one thing is clear this season, it's that we struggle to defend. A 4-4 draw against Chicago was followed by a 4-0 win at San Jose. But then the form book was set on fire as we managed one point from the remaining nine. We're woefully inconsistent, and it seems like the combination of buying in new players, and selling the old has just ended up making us the same team we always were. Improvement is badly needed.

jzhiaqE.png

HRRltIO.png

Brilliant explanations of the draft system, really appreciate that. Interesting move to the U.S of A. Mixed start, good luck.
An interesting change of direction this :thup: Could do with a few more wins, though.
Good luck in the US mate, nice move and hope you turn your form around :thup:

Cheers all. I get the feeling that I could be doing a bit of moving around in the US to position myself at the right club. I may even load Mexico, as I haven't managed there before. But I'll be staying in New England for the time being.

Congrats on your twins :)

Sign them as soon as possible.

I don't think they'll quite make it as players! But they do mark the future of this topic. I'm hoping that in twenty-five years (when they become "FM-Legal") I'll be drawing this challenge to a close. Then at least one of the twins (or possibly both) will be added as managers so the dynasty and family name can continue. Playing the long game.

a forameuss career

New England Revolution

May and June 2032

rxnFPNR.png

We started off pretty well in May with only one defeat, and a third round win in the US Open Cup to get us on our way. Because of that cup game though, we have only managed one win in the league, along with two draws. That's not at all good enough. June wasn't much better, winning two and losing two, but with the added bonus of getting dumped out of the Cup by Los Angeles Galax in the quarter final. That's one way of getting into the Champions League up in smoke.

Ovw6DRY.png

dcLOtZj.png

We're hovering around the wild card place, but we really should be a lot higher than that.

a forameuss career

New England Revolution

July 2032

QvmTGxC.png

Now that's better. This is more the sort of form we need to be showing to make the play-off places. It was a disappointing loss to Toronto, but the three wins before that were just what we needed. Ahmed Al-Shemmari is proving once again to be our most important player with another handful of goals.

QvmTGxC.png

KMXZTYq.png

a forameuss career

New England Revolution

August 2032

1B8axtJ.png

This is the Revolution hitting form at just the right time. Unbeaten in August, and we seem to have finally sorted out our defence. Only two conceded through the month. We haven't scored too many though, but going unbeaten is not to be sniffed at.

DztA3zq.png

qnqNMxY.png

With seven games to go, we're in the play-off spots. In this form, we should be comfortably into the play-offs by the end of the season, and then anything can happen over those ties.

a forameuss career

New England Revolution

September and October 2032

hMc4HGm.png

Put it this way, this guy must be a New England fan.

32pbr.gif

The worst two months I've had as a manager given the highs of the month before.

fqUqSzt.png

3v7YEK4.png

As you can imagine, that dip has torpedoed our play-off aspirations and left us far adrift. We won't be involved in the season closing play-offs, and at this rate I'll be lucky to be involved at New England at all.

Just spent over 2 hours reading through this thread since my last post :D I've read that much that I've forgotten half of it haha! Some brilliant successes so far and I especially liked the part where you were at Penarol before you went to Boca, but it was a no brainer to make the switch I guess. That striker at Boca looked amazing, maybe when you move to Europe, you should try sign him if he's still around :D Unlucky on the sack though, I guess New England just weren't the right club.

Cheers mikenevo - I certainly enjoyed my time in South America, far more than I have enjoyed it there before. Seems like I've been playing for ages, but yet only 3 of the 14 are down. Need to pull the finger out!

SanJoseEarthquakes_2008.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

I usually don't wait long before I move into a new job, but this one was shorter than most. On the day I was sacked, the previous San Jose manager was also given the boot after a poor season. I applied for the job, although was tempted to wait until the summer when the Mexican leagues would be added to my save. After looking at the club in a bit more detail, and passing the interview, I decided to dive straight back into the MLS and try and avenge the poor performance of last season.

It was off from the very North-East of the United States to the very Western edge, as I arrived in Sunny California.

800px-California_in_United_States.svg.png

wKdWriD.png

N9nfz1L.png

n5WeMBV.png

I've said I will play direct, defensive football, more in a blatant attempt to steal the job out from under my competitors. Whether I'll actually play that way is questionable, so there could be trouble ahead.

z7HG5In.png

4uTBM2Y.png

Very happy with the club itself. Vast reserves in the bank, good facilities, and a decent amount of history.

fvyrsWo.png

The team needs improvement, but there's definitely the nucleus of a team in there.

Zpl4SZc.png

I mentioned them having a poor season, and you can see that in the table. If it wasn't for New York, Philadelphia and Chivas being absolutely rotten, it could've been worse. They were even worse than New England. Ouch.

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

Pre-Season News

Not much to report to be honest. Sponsorship is down, but money is not much of a worry in the MLS. I was also given the support of the man who replaced me at New England. It's nice, but I'm going on record now to say that I will crush him. And his family.

Transfers

This is where the hard work started. It was a long three months between joining the club and playing my first competitive match, and I spent most of that time making sure that our squad was in as good a shape as possible. It's draft time baby!

December Waiver Draft

W1IBzzL.png

BRumkNc.pngwOA3tk6.png

Not as good as last year with New England, but two solid players joined us in two troublesome positions. At this stage, I was aiming to go for a standard 4-4-2, so full backs are badly needed.

MLS Re-entry Draft

u0e2526.png

z8xOiPc.pngteIxDCN.png

Now this is more like it. I can never turn down a striker, so Castro was always going to be one of my first choices. Gregorio will strengthen what is already a pretty good center of midfield, so very happy with our business here.

No players were picked up in the second stage of the re-entry draft.

Youth Intake

9ntH3QP.png

ax9ZWy5.png

A bit more positive here with the better facilities. Ron Johnson is the pick of the bunch, but to be honest they're miles away from being ready to perform even in the MLS.

Superdraft

05m2v6F.png

The big one, and the one I've been waiting for. We've lucked out this year, managing to trade our way to both 2nd and 3rd pick in the draft. That's absolutely huge - we may lose the top pick, but we'll have a massive choice of the rest.

8TnCmiP.png

And here's what we managed. Why only one player? Because the other two guys I picked refused to agree a contract, possibly down to a bug. Very annoying, especially with how well placed we were pre-draft, but can't be helped. Nunez looks like a fantastic player, so it isn't all bad. He also brings back memories of the Nunez gameworld in FM Live. *sigh*

March Waiver Draft

Got a player who didn't make a cut? The waiver draft will lose him! Often a final chance to pick up some squad players, I didn't go into this with much hope.

vXxrayW.png

dYurGgZ.pngrTlt9di.png

Then I picked those two. Ooft. Happy with that.

Transfers

Not too many this year given that my squad was pretty full from promoting reserve players and drafting others.

rTlt9di.pngUxNdL3V.png

Both were picked up by my DoF with me having the final say. They completed my international slots, and should definitely be able to do a job at the club - especially Casale.

2FA8T88.png

I also made use of the new trade system to pick up a spare international slot from last seasons Champions Montreal Impact. I'll be allowed to field an extra international player for the next three years, all for just 100k of my allocation funds.

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

And now a look at the players who will be key for my challenge this year.

hFBvhi0.png

Sonny "Pizza" Hut will be a key part of our defence quite clearly. I looked at bringing in a designated player at the end of the transfer window, perhaps at center back, but to be honest, none of the available ones came close to what Sonny can manage. He's injured at the moment, but I can't wait to get him back into the team. Huge player for us.

unZaUq6.png

Was strangely in the reserves when I arrived, but that quickly changed. Able to play all the way along the left flank, I'll aim to play him at either ML or AML. Maybe even DL if I'm feeling particularly masochistic. He's clearly not a defender, but if we're pushing up our full backs to be wing backs, he could do a job.

HInb4pT.png

Brought in on waivers, he's a massive signing for us. We had a pretty good striker already, but this guy will give real competition. I'm expecting big things.

Fkz5KWx.png

Scored for fun with Montreal Impact last season, but declined to sign a new contract. I snapped him up, and he'll make it quite a headache as to who starts up front. I did contemplate turning down the signing when it appeared I'd struggle to get rid of some of my current international players, but I'm glad I made space now.

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

I'm going to try a new update style to try and force me to look at things more in depth. We'll see how it goes.

27/2/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v New York Red Bulls

Preview

We started the season with a home match against New York Red Bulls. We lined up in a flat 4-4-2, desperate to just get some kind of foothold with a new team. A team full of new signings, with ten players given new squad numbers, but perhaps crucially, shorn of our two first choice center backs.

Match

Not the best start to the season, but a solid point nonetheless. New York took the lead through Sam Harrison midway through the first half, with us equalising in the second through Isaac Castro. We had switched to a more offensive formation at half-time, and it's clear we're not going to be able to satisfy the defensive promise I made the board. New York's keeper was man of the match, which says a lot about how we played after the break.

Final Score: 1-1

5/3/2033 - MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

I stuck with the 4-4-2, and kept the instructions broadly the same to try and appease the board. I hope to welcome star defender Sonny Hut back in the next game, as this one came just too early after his recovery from fractured ribs. That should make us a lot more solid at the back and give us a base to attack. Magariro came in up front to make it an ex-Montreal front two.

Match

A win on the road, and a hard-fought one at that. We took the lead and looked comfortable in the first half thanks to man-of-the-match Souleymane Toure, but we were complacent and let Galaxy back in early in the second. Debutant Magariro slotted home the winner soon after, and we held out for the win. Great stuff, and with our defence set to only get better, I'm quietly confident this season

Final Score: 1-2

12/3/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Portland Timbers

Preview

Top of the table clash in the Western Conference as the Earthquakes take on the Timbers. Quakes can cause Timbers...or am I thinking too much into this? Sonny Hut returns, although he's still not fully fit, and John Thorne moves into Central Midfield. The team is setup to counter, and Thorne can hopefully get up to support the two strikers.

Match

Portland scored the opener in the 28th minute after hitting the bar, and then following on the rebound. They doubled their lead 6 minutes later to go in 2-0 up at half-time. Ronald Magariro continued his fine form with a goal early in the second half, but Portland hit back again to retain their two goal lead. Isaac Castro got another goal back, but there it ended, with Portland taking a 3-2 win.

Final Score: 2-3

19/3/2033 - MLS - Chivas USA v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

Internationals disrupted our squad for this one as we travelled down the West Coast to face Chivas. Sonny Hut is a big miss, but otherwise we name a mostly unchanged team, lining up in the now familiar 4-4-2. Chivas have yet to win a game this season, so hopefully we can pick up another three points.

Match

3-0 up by half time, and pretty much job done. I withdrew both wingers in the second half to match Chivas' 4-1-2-1-2 to experiment with that with the job pretty much done. Not much happened in the second half up until Isaac Castro added a second goal to complete the rout. We let Chivas have more shots than they really should have, but our 62% possession tells the story. Dominant. A miserable day for Chivas, who ended with 10-men, and it already looks like they'll struggle this season.

Final Score: 0-4

26/3/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Vancouver Whitecaps

Internationals once again disrupted everything, as we ended up losing Magariro as well as Sonny Hut. We really need Rod Henderson back, he'll step in beside Hut and hopefully tighten up our defence. Once again though, we field a mostly unchanged team further forward. Magariro will be a loss, but Amrani steps in in his absence - the coaches put him on a level playing field, so hopefully he can get on the scoresheet today.

Match

A frustrating evening for us, but we did fight back to 2-1 before letting in a 90th minute equaliser. Very disappointing to lose from a winning position, but happy enough with the result. Defensively we have to improve, but I'm still waiting on getting our full strength central defensive partnership on the same pitch at the same time. We'll move on from this.

Final Score: 2-2

TU7qAAT.png

C4JFbo2.png

b867lLB.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

2/4/2033 - MLS - FC Dallas v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

Chris Butler - our dependable ball winning midfielder - was suspended for this one, so Thorne comes in alongside Gregorio in a pretty attacking midfield. Rod Henderson still isn't fit to go back into the squad, but Sonny Hut returns to partner McDaniel in defence. Magariro also returns.

Match

A ponderous first-half burst into life as Magariro headed in at the near post to give us the lead right at the death. Dallas had two players taken off injured, one in each half, before Magariro added a second goal just after the hour mark. I waited until the 82nd minute to make any subs, and just as I did, Dallas got back into the game. I remembered my board promise, and once again withdrew both wide players, bringing on young defensive midfielder - and sole superdraft signing - Nunez in just in front of the defence, and for good measure brought on another center back, to make a highly unadventurous 5-1-3-2 formation that funnelled everything through the middle. Dallas took the initiative and well and truly took the game to us, then in the 92nd minute they got their reward, an equaliser fired in from close range when we couldn't clear a free-kick. Not good enough from a defence that should be benefiting from having the Hut back in there.

n00gD4m.png

9/4/2033 - MLS - Colorado Rapids v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

I wanted to ring the changes for this one, but unfortunately we can't really afford to. As you saw, Molinari complained that the squad was too big. I told him to prove he should be first choice, and he took the huff. He'll be leaving the club whenever we get an offer, and he won't be playing for me any-more. I'm not having these primadonnas dictating whether they should be playing or not. Back to the actual game, we finally welcomed Rod Henderson back into the squad. He starts alongside Hut, despite not being fully fit. I've moved my wingers forward to the AML and AMR positions to hopefully get more goals, but that may make us far too attacking. A clean sheet here is vital.

Match

Colorado had a goal disallowed early on due to offside, which was a bit of a let-off to be honest. A tight first half ended 0-0, and our attacking formation was just about holding its own. Hut's fitness continued to be a concern as Henderson ended up in better condition at the break than his partner. Colorado had the better of the second half certainly, and even the introduction of Amrani for the ineffectual Magariro couldn't rouse us into scoring. Another draw, but a clean sheet nonetheless.

Final Score: 0-0

17/4/2033 - MLS - DC United v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

Another away match, this time in the capital as we take on DC United. Another clean sheet would be fantastic, but given the defensive look of DC's side, we may struggle to score. The only change is Amrani coming in for Castro up front. I'll try and rotate them throughout the season to keep things fresh.

Match

Five minutes in we had our wish, and Magariro was the one to score, slipping away from his marker and finishing well. Unfortunately, DC United hit back just after the half hour. The quest for a clean sheet and a win goes on. The full backs had awful ratings at half-time, which only got worse than DC added a second ten minutes into the second half. Rumours of offside, but the goal was given. I took off the terrible David Maher for another left back, and then got Castro onto the field. Minutes later Casale equalised after cutting in from the right, meaning we would finish the game with another 2-2 draw. It's not a defeat, but it is a 4th draw in a row. This time against the rock bottom side of the Eastern Conference, getting only their 5th point of the season. Not good enough.

23/4/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v FC Dallas

Preview

Same line-up as the DC match, but Castro up front instead of Amrani. A repeat of the draw from two games ago wouldn't go amiss, but we really need to start winning again. A loss is out of the question though.

Match

We had more of the first half, but went in goal-less. Dallas made it 1-0 early in the second from a corner. I tried to change it up, bringing Nunez in to sit in front of the defence, and changing the strike pairing, and it seemed to work, with Tommy Gregorio bundling home an equaliser. You should know by now that that's how it ended. Draw number 5.

30/4/2033 - MLS - Vancouver Whitecaps v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

A mid-table battle as the Whitecaps take on the 'Quakes. I made sure my players played extra wide due to Vancouver having a narrow formation. Some changes on the bench, but the same 11 that started against Dallas.

Match

An early goal for - who else - Ronald Magariro. Much needed, but of course we've been in this position before, and still ended up on the wrong end of a result. We did go in ahead at half-time though, when I reminded the players not to get complacent. A very even second half wouldn't have been a San Jose match if it didn't involve an equaliser, and it came with ten minutes left for Vancouver. Neither side could grab a winner, and again we faced the dropping of two points. I hate draws.

Xag6Ju1.png

hT02VYS.png

j8dJKUK.png

All I can say is, with Philadelphia the next most drawing side, God help the TV viewers when we face each other...

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

4/5/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Chivas USA

Preview

Chivas sacked their manager earlier in the season after their terrible start. I like to think our 4-0 win contributed to that. We really, really should be beating them again, and hopefully it kick-starts our season. I mean come on, their key man is listed as their goalkeeper. Never a good sign. I've moved formation again, this time to a 4-1DM-1CM-2W-2 formation. Hopefully this gives us a bit of defensive stability while still making us potent up front.

Match

We dominated possession in the first half and got our reward with a goal in the first ten minutes. A cross from the right was met by Isaac Castro, and he made no mistake. An early settler, but we've been here before. Sure enough, 33 minutes gone and Chivas were level. I seethed on the touchline, ready to give the side hell at the break. They appeared to listen, going 2-1 up early in the second with a fantastic shot on the volley from Toure, but then we conceded yet again immediately after. Sitters were missed as the match drifted. Magariro was taken off due to having an uncharacteristically terrible game, and soon after Casale scored another well worked goal to put us ahead. Luckily there was to be no third fightback, and the match ended 3-2. And breathe.

Final Score: 3-2

7/5/2033 - MLS - Seattle Sounders v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

I stuck with the 4-1-1-2-2 formation that beat Chivas, and the same team. Hopefully we can make it two wins in a row for the first time this season. Seattle are the form team so far this season, so it'll be tough.

Match

Seattle took the lead early on when a shot deflected agonisingly away from the keeper and defenders and into the path of the Seattle striker for an easy open goal. The second was added five minutes into the second half. A low cross came in from the left, turned in on the half volley. It finished 2-0, and we barely threatened for the rest of the game.

Final Score: 2-0

14/5/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Colorado Rapids

Preview

It was 0-0 last time we met, but we certainly have it in is to take all three points this time around. Yet another formation this time, the DM moving up to CM, and one of my strikers moving back to AM. It's more in keeping with how I often play, and I'm wondering whether having two strikers is holding me back.

Match

It remained a pretty dour 0-0 until Ron Henderson was sent off on the hour mark for a dangerous tackle. Very disappointing for one of my first choice defenders. The tally was evened up ten minutes later when Colorado had a man sent off. The match stayed pretty tight until the 92nd minute, when a speculative long range shot flew in to put us behind. A sucker punch.

Final Score: 0-1

21/5/2033 - MLS - Real Salt Lake v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

We need to get something from this match. I don't care what, just something. We're on a bit of a spiral in form, and now sit 12th in the overall table. A solid mid-table season is all the board want, but we have it in us to do better than that, so I'll be very disappointed if we don't manage it. We move back to 4-4-2 for this one, trying to get a foothold.

Match

One minute in, we had an unlikely lead as Isaac Castro slotted in from what seemed like an impossible angle. 28 minutes in, the inevitable happened and another equaliser flew in, and then the pressure really started, and continued until the end of the half. We came back into it in the second, having a few really good chances, but couldn't make that breakthrough. Until the 72nd minute, when Isaac Castro added a second after being sent through, shooting from twenty five yards into the far corner. But only three minutes later, it was 2-2. Getting really sick of our poor defending. We had one more chance to take the win as Isaac Castro profited from some poor defending to go through. His first effort was saved at point blank range, then the second hacked away off the line. It just isn't going in.

25/5/2033 - Us Open Cup - Rochester Rhinos v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

A bit of a change of pace as we entered the US Open Cup at the third round. I know I say it a lot, but we really should have enough about us to beat them. We remain unchanged from the last match, apart from Ron Henderson returning from injury. It's a strong team, but I can't afford to lose or draw this one.

Match

We were 2-0 up in 7 minutes, and from then it looked like it would be easy. A third was added just after the half hour, and then a 4th added late in the second half. A comfortable win, and a chance to bring on a few fringe players. Hopefully this is the boost our season needs.

Final Score: 0-4

28/5/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Sporting Kansas City

Preview

Unchanged side - let's build up some momentum.

Match

An absolutely wonderful performance - finally - from San Jose as we got the win in the league we had been chasing for a while.

Final Score: 3-0

wGwfvoE.png

I5Olz1b.png

iB2Nl5G.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

4/6/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Real Salt Lake

Preview

Back to back league wins would be fantastic, but we'll have to do it without Sonny Hut and Mamadou Traore, the latter of whom has been an ever present this season. Pre-season backup goalkeeper signing SEan Calder will make his debut though, and as a fellow Scotsman, I have high hopes for him.

Match

Real took the lead early on through a well struck free kick, and then things got worse with Rod Henderson sent off on the stroke of half time for a second bookable offence. I expected the onslaught to begin in the second, but we actually looked pretty comfortable despite the numerical advantage. We got the equaliser, and then had a goal harshly ruled out for offside. We looked the most likely late on, Gregorio with a fantastically struck shot being turned over, and then a succession of corners scrambled away. We missed a trick here.

An absolutely wonderful performance - finally - from San Jose as we got the win in the league we had been chasing for a while.

y773FFM.png

AAcuceG.png

IZEoiae.png

8/6/2033 - Us Open Cup - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v FC Dallas

Preview

An unchanged side, with Ron Henderson just about keeping his place despite his red card in the previous match. A run in the cup could lead to a Champions League spot if we make it to the final, but that's a long way away yet.

Match

And it's even longer after the result we managed. FC Dallas beat us 3-2 after quite a battle. We dominated them in terms of possession and shots, but that doesn't matter if you don't take your chances. They got the winner after we had twice fought back to level the game.

Final Score: 2-3

11/6/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Vancouver Whitecaps

Preview

A few more internationals away on duty, so we had to make changes there. Toure continues to be injured, so Urbina slots in there. Unfortunately, Sean Calder is now also off to play for Scotland, so we're without him too. Almost down to the bare bones in some positions.

Match

I'll level with you, it was another draw. We started well, scoring in the second minute through Urbina, but Vancouver got back into it as the game wore on, and our resistance was broken.

18/6/2033 - MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

After another disappointing draw, I was forced to make a formation change to accomodate the suspension of BWM Christopher Butler. Another BWM comes in in the shape of Javier Nunez, but he'll be at DM, as he can't play CM for some reason. Mamadou Traore is back in goals though, which is a big boost.

Match

A 1-0 win at the best possible time. We controlled most of the match, and when Isaac Castro nodded home the opener from a drilled cross, we were on our way to a rare win. Fantastic stuff, and now we're up to 4th in the Western Conference table.

25/6/2033 - MLS - Columbus Crew v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

An unchanged side after our win in Los Angeles, trying to get some momentum up.

Match

It's back to normal with a 1-1 draw. To be honest, we probably should have lost the way the game went, so a point is good enough for me.

eVAk9Jo.png

rpjmBef.png

LtT8nq8.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

3/7/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Seattle Sounders

Preview

Arguably our toughest game this season given Seattle's high flying status at the top of the conference. I don't expect much out of the game, but I name another unchanged team with Javier Nunez keeping his place despite Butler being back from suspension.

Match

Well, this was unexpected. We took the lead in the 27th minute through our little trequartista Thorne, but I fully expected the Seattle fightback to begin in earnest. In response, I withdrew Thorne just after half-time and brought on Butler to beef up our midfield. I fully expected to be battered again and again and then succumb, but soon after our full back Junior got his first goal of the season. Then Castro scored. Then Toure dribbled wonderfully into the six yard box and smashed in a 4th from a tight angle. Absolute dreamland. The full time whistle blew, and we had beaten Seattle, one of the favourites for the title, 4-0. Wonderful.

Final Score: 4-0

10/7/2033 - MLS - Chivas USA v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

Can we follow up our magnificent win against Seattle with another against Chivas? I've withdrawn Thorne and moved to a 4-1-4-1 formation to try and give our midfield some bite. The formation got us 3 goals in the second half against the Sounders, so I'm hoping for more of the same.

Match

We marched on thanks to a first half Isaac Castro double, but the win was somewhat soured when Christopher Butler got himself sent off late on. He's been key to the team performance in the psat two games, so he'll be a big miss.

Final Score: 0-2

16/7/2033 - MLS - New England Revolution v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

I kind of screwed up here. I've been holidaying between games at times, but this time I managed to holiday beyond the game for some reason. So my assistant was in charge for the return to the Gilette Stadium in Foxboro Massachusets.

Match

We were battered, pure and simple. After two fantastic wins, we fell to a 3-0 defeat. Raging, and I certainly won't be allowing my assistant to take control of any more of my matches.

Final Score: 0-3

23/7/2033 - MLS - FC Dallas v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

I'm back in charge as we visit Texas to face FC Dallas. My assistant played a 4-4-1-1, but I'll be returning to a 4-1-4-1 to try and keep things tight.

Match

FC Dallas took the lead in the first half, but we fought back through a smashed shot from 18 yards from Christopher Butler that the keeper could only toe into the corner of the net. Neither side could find that winner though, and we had to settle for our 12th draw of the season. Bear in mind, we've only played 23 games. Parity.

30/7/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Philadelphia Union

Preview

An unchanged side, but this one will be tough.

Match

We took the lead through another rare goal from Chris Butler, but were pegged back when Philadelphia smashed in a close range equaliser. They controlled the game from then on, eventually adding a second and closing out the game.

6/8/2033 - MLS - Real Salt Lake v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

I brought in Ronald Magariro to replace Castro to try and keep things fresh. Our left back problems continued as David Maher missed the game through injury. We don't really have a second option, apart from Toure, who is needed more further forward.

Match

Soulemane Toure scored the only goal of the game, and it had been coming. He was cutting in off the wing fantastically, getting two chances before he eventually took his third chance, smashing in off the keeper. An accomplished performance.

13/8/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Los Angeles Galaxy

Preview

Magariro keeps his place up front, and David Maher returns at left back.

Match

Butler kept up his fantastic form with another rasping shot from distance to give us the lead. Toure added a second from a yard out after the Galaxy keeper could only parry a shot from Magariro. Rod Henderson made the points safe with a third, bundled in from a failed clearance. We continued to go goal mad as Gregorio sent the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot. I brought on Amrani for the last ten minutes to give him some gametime, and even he smashed home a goal from twenty-five yards. Our biggest win of the season so far.

Final Score: 5-0

20/8/2033 - MLS - Portland Timbers v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

I handed Amrani a rare start but kept the same side otherwise, hoping to keep up our great form.

Match

Souleymane Toure had a terrible first half (5.9 rating) but still managed to get the only goal of the half. Portland had a goal rightly chalked off for offside, and we managed to close out a pretty uneventful game. Still, three points is three points.

27/8/2033 - MLS - Houston Dynamo v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

Isaac Castro returns up front, but unfortunately Toure wasn't fit enough to start. Urbina comes in in his place.

Match

A Tommy Gregorio penalty gave us the lead before total long ball football led to Houston getting level. Our defenders had pushed up at a goal kick, which then sailed all the way over their heads and into the path of the onrushing Isaac Quirarte. Houston were level. But soon after, a shot from the edge of the box from Juan Igancio Casale sailed past the despairing reach of the keeper to give us the lead at half time. Chris Butler managed to get himself sent off again for two bookable offences, which I'm pretty annoyed about, but then he is a player who plays on the edge. Just wish he knew how to play when he's on a booking. Another win though, and that's a 100% record in August.

Mpdpsu5.png

5GYl6wK.png

5GYl6wK.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

3/9/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Colorado Rapids

Preview

We're without Mamadou Traore, Sonny Hut and Ronald Magariro for the visit of Colorado due to international commitments, nd without Chris Butler due to his love of getting sent off. John Thorne comes in to midfield, and Sean Calder replaces Traore in goals. I've also given Amrani another start. He's our designated player, but has been making noises about leaving. Undecided about whether I should keep him or not.

Match

We should have taken the lead after five minutes when Calder thumped a clearance long to Amrani. He was one on one with their keeper, but could only shoot straight at him. Colorado had a similar chance five minutes later, and took it, Calder unable to stop a low finish from finding the net. They added a second at the end of the half, and then a third early in the second to pretty much kill off any hopes of continuing our winning run. A bad day at the office.

Final Score: 0-3

10/9/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Toronto FC

Preview

Traore returns, as does Sonny Hut, but Ron Henderson is out, so we still have an incomplete defence. Otherwise it's a familiar side.

Match

A bit of a bad tempered match ended 1-1, both sides ending with ten men. Toronto had a man sent off in the second half, then Gregorio got himself injured after we had made all three substitutes. Happy enough to take the point at this business end of the season.

udHS1Q4.png

gZBjdwQ.png

6tYXAjZ.png

17/9/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Montreal Impact

Preview

As you can see, we have a bit of an injury crisis on our hands. Both our first choice center backs are out, with Rod Henderson unavailable for the next 3 weeks. Luckily Gregorio and Amrani were not too bad after the last game, so should play some part today.

Match

A pretty dour game, and Montreal controlled it from start to finish. There was an injury to Casale, and we don't really have backup wide players, so I had to play one of the strikers as an IF. It didn't work.

25/9/2033 - MLS - Chicago Fire v SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Preview

And so begins the end-game. We're three games from the end of our league campaign and currently sitting in the play-off spots. The way the fixtures are organised though, there are teams around us with games in hand. We don't exactly have an easy run-in either, facing Chicago today, then Portland and Seattle. If we win today, we can start dreaming of a play-off place. Lose today, and it'll be tough. Draw...well, let's face it, we're going to draw. Casale shakes off his injury from the Montreal game to start, and Gregorio returns. It's probably the strongest team we could put out if you don't look at the center backs.

Match

It was cagey, very cagey, with Chicago peppering our goal when they got forward. It took a moment of magic from Gregorio to break the deadlock as he received the ball thirty yards out and floated a lob over the despairing Chicago keeper. Wonderful goal. It looked like we were going to take a vital win, but then with 93:38 on the clock, and only three minutes of added time allowed, Chicago finally broke through, slotting home a dramatic equaliser. I told you we were going to draw.

8/10/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Portland Timbers

Preview

With results in the past few days, this game takes on even more significance. The winner will take a commanding lead in the race for the play-offs, and the loser could end up missing out on a spot altogether. A draw would suit us more, but could mean both of us pushed out to either the wild cards, or out altogether. Because of that, I'm glad to welcome Rod Henderson back, but unfortunately Toure isn't fit enough to start again. Sean Calder takes up the goalkeepers spot thanks to more international games. Believe.

Match

We had the worst possible start, slicing a clearance from a corner straight at the waiting Portland defender. He bundled it home, and we were behind. It got worse ten minutes later as a second corner found a head, and then found the net. Desperate stuff. I brought on Amrani at half time for the underperforming Gregorio. It didn't make any difference though, and the game petered out. Terrible result in the context of the season, especially as we face the conference leaders Seattle in our final match.

15/10/2033 - MLS - SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES v Seattle Sounders

Preview

We start the day in the final wild-card spot. We could end up in the third play-off spot, but we could equally end up outside of the spots altogether. Los Angeles Galaxy are behind us by a point, and have a game in hand. Not only are we playing Seattle, we're also having to face them with two key players suspended. Chris Butler (of course) and Javier Nunez are both out of the game, which means for the first time in a while, I'm going to go 4-4-2. I'm definitely worried of being torn to pieces by a Seattle side that are much better than us, but we do remember beating them 4-0 last time. Souleymane Toure returns, Magariro joins Castro up front, and Thorne sits alongside Gregorio in a flat midfield four.

Match

It was a wonderful start as Casale stroked a free kick into the top corner to give us the lead. Magariro should have doubled the advantage just a minute later as he shrugged off his marker, but he shot wide. We were made to pay in the 16th minute when Seattle scored from a corner. We really struggle on set pieces these days. They added a second later on, leaving us staring down the barrel. Castro has struggled for goals of late, but when he was sent through with just minutes to go, I really thought he was going to equalise. The keeper pulled off a great save though, and Seattle closed it out to win. That means that Galaxy will take the last wild-card spot if they manage a single point in their final two games. We're out. And so it proved, as they thumped Chivas 4-1. Gutting.

jxfiOc8.png

5yXJjV3.png

Horrible end to the season, shame you managaed to blow all your hard work!
Gutting end to the season pal, those injuries didn't help :(

Yeah, it was a bit of an awful end. We had fought back well after some pretty meh performances early on, but if you finish a season like that, you don't deserve to be in the play-offs. If we'd won a couple more games early on, and gone into the play-offs in that form, we would have got absolutely pumped, no doubt.

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

Player Review

IZJgErV.png

QCDeAjD.png

Mamadou Traore was simply one of our most important players. That's perhaps being a little harsh on Sean Calder, who acquitted himself very well when called upon on the many occasions when Traore was on International Duty. He was our first choice striker, no question, and will be again this coming season.

xC7ts1X.png

l8Mx8Lm.png

The curious case of Sonny Hut. You'll remember that I started the season hoping that Hut would be the leader of our team from the back. Great stats, young, and the coaches believed he would be our best defender. It just never really worked that way for some reason. His performances in the league were achingly average, and although he never played that badly, he just never played that well either. A massive disappointment.

KyQtomx.png

EGHIC5R.png

Souleymane Toure was probably our most important player out on the left wing. We really struggled when he wasn't available, but then that was probably down to not really having a direct replacement. He managed man of the match in 10% of the games he played in, won 86% of his tackles, and chipped in with 10% of our team goals. A wonderful return from the Ivorian. He's still young, so will be interesting to see if we can keep him happy at the club since he's probably too good for this level.

zL6AQIn.png

jdHL36E.png

Junior was an almost ever present at right back, which at his age just shows how well conditioned he is. Stats wise he wasn't as highly rated as others in the team, but he was solid and dependable, and never gave any of the backups in his position a sniff. Very pleased with him, and happy to give him another season in the team.

2AF4gog.png

5cN0j59.png

A good season, but stopped from being great by a slump late in the season. He went 10 games without a goal as we slumped to a terrible finish in the league, and if he had been firing, things could have been a lot different. He was the pick of my three strikers, but still...he didn't set the world alight with his performances. That of course could be more down to the team behind him not giving him good enough service.

f1drlZE.png

BXRFZeq.png

For me, Chris Butler is the most important man in our team. He sits in midfield, in a ball-winning midfielder role, and pretty much runs the show. He does get booked in around half of the games he plays though, and those two red cards, combined with all the niggly suspensions for multiple yellows, meant he was out at crucial times. Still though, he remains a very important player. Teams have been sniffing around him, so hopefully we can persuade him that San Jose is the place for him.

WRMV7YJ.png

He also ended up as our fans player of the season. Well deserved.

Best Eleven

ZEA4YLj.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

Player Movements

December Waiver Draft

BYfrnCb.png

PnYgAY7.png

MLS Re-entry Draft Stage One

ub8tWRO.png

sthJ3nE.png

Youth Intake

RXfWTIr.png

BuQYsII.png

Superdraft

JMLArUD.png

94EJhtY.png

Transfers

iOPG6Us.png

The big news this time around wasn't who was coming in, but who left.

Eohvx1I.png

aOA06dt.png

Hut I kind of expected to leave. He hadn't performed as I had expected, so when a £2 million offer came in, I snapped their hand off. Castro was less expected, but it gives the other strikers a chance, and comes with a good young center back, hopefully to replace Hut, coming in the other direction. A good deal IMO.

SlnoUdu.png

Fabri is the only other incoming player - he'll provide competition for Nunez, but I do worry that he might hinder the development of the youngster.

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

A departure from the update method of last season, but plan to resume that perhaps next season. Apologies for anyone who was enjoying the long-winded ramblings.

3ZsEUDb.png

A terrible start as Real Salt Lake thumped five goals past us. I thought we'd had a good off-season in terms of transfer business, so much so that the team was looking far better than it did last season. Unfortunately Real showed exactly why that was wrong. We recovered a bit to go on a six-match unbeaten run, but then lost heavily twice to Philadelphia and then to Dallas. Must do better.

k81wZno.png

4Rmdw7E.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

oEroEc1.png

We lost more than we won - that's the stat that tells the story of our May. We ended somewhat strongly, beating Richmond Kickers in the 3rd round of the cup, but one more goal for the opposition and that would have turned the match into an absolute travesty for us. As it is, we're into the 4th round.

gubSQnK.png

xrZvlVd.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

xbnDwIL.png

It's lucky we're still in the cup put it that way.

At the moment we look like two different teams depending on where we're playing. In the cup, we're playing fantastically, dispatching Fort Lauderdale Strikers convincingly, and then edging out Portland Timbers on penalties. Then we turn to the league, where we only managed a single point, with our other three games ending in resounding defeats. We are truly dreadful this season in the league.

zpA0gO1.png

5IgRmrk.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

I3T3sWT.png

wRWb5dE.png

It was a month without cup football in July, and we managed to pick up our form just about enough to raise hopes. We're in a pretty close conference this year, so it's possible we could sneak into the play-offs with a good performance.

As we moved into August, we faced our semi-final of the cup against Houston Dynamo. The way the rules work, if we win this match, we should be in the Champions League next season. The way I read it, both finalists get a place in the group stages. I would sacrifice the rest of the league season for a finals place, or a trophy. We took a 2-0 lead within seven minutes, and controlled the rest of the game nicely. Fantastic performance, and to be honest, probably the only great one we've had this season. We'll go up against Seattle Sounders in the final, who we managed to beat in the preview in the league to close out the month.

bh0z6sj.png

9JYs7mV.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

KykAfWw.png

A quiet month with just three fixtures as we head into the business end of the season. We managed to grab another three points against Seattle, which bodes well for the Cup Final, but contrived to lose our other two matches. Three wins here could have left us with an outside shot of a play-off spot, but we're well and truly off the pace now. We go into the final month with one important game, and a few dead rubbers.

NujOisw.png

VKws7P0.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

efZU9JM.png

I said there was only one match that mattered, and once again the team decided to perform when it did matter by blowing Seattle away in our cup final. Both goals came in a five minute first half spell, and from the moment Magariro slipped past the keeper to score the second, we controlled the game.

I only wish we could have played like this more regularly this season.

MSymyM5.png

6GPN8SR.png

Bottom of our conference, and third bottom of the entire table. We may have won a trophy, but there's no disguising what has been a dreadful, dreadful season. Earlier on in the season, the board had said they were worried they would lose me at the end of my contract. Nothing new was offered, and I suspect they were waiting until our league position was decided. The US Open Cup may have been a stay of execution, but I think my sacking is only weeks away.

Time to jump before the push comes.

L5O9ISP.png

a forameuss career

San Jose Earthquakes

After leaving San Jose, I was a bit listless. That's two clubs I've pretty much failed at in the MLS, and my usual enthusiasm for the league is waning. I always loved managing there, but it's getting old, and the two clubs I've been at have had problems with their squad that can't be fixed due to the tight squad rules. I didn't mention it, but there's a designated player at San Jose who is hands-down the worst player at the club. I could not get rid of him for love nor money, and unregistering him from the squad didn't release him like it does with normal players. I assume it's down to some rule the MLS has, so he remained at the club, on a four year contract, not playing a single game under me. I would have liked to have brought in a designated player to replace him, but couldn't. Very annoying.

I went on holiday and set job offers to top division clubs only. I was looking for a big club in either South Africa or the US, but I would be very choosy about MLS teams so as not to have a repeat of New England and San Jose. Then I added Mexico, to see if I could get a good job there in a league I haven't experienced before.

I spent about eighteen months unemployed, but then a club came in that I absolutely had on my list of wanted clubs.

But first, a reminder of the career so far.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| ASCII TABLE OF HISTORY (AND MANAGERIAL SHAME) |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Season | Team | Country | Continent | League | Finish | Cups | Continental | Notes |
| 2013 | Henan Jianye | China | Asia | First Division | 1st | Semi-final | --- | League winners |
| 2014 | Henan Jianya | China | Asia | Super League | 15th* | DNE | | Resigned after 9 games |
| 2014/15 | Newcastle United Jets | Australia | Asia | A League | 5th | --- | --- | Finals Series Elimination Round |
| 2015/16 | Sydney FC | Australia | Asia | A League | 1st | --- | Group Stage | Finals Series Semis |
| 2016/17 | Sydney FC | Australia | Asia | A League | 1st | --- | 1st KO Rd. | FINALS SERIES WINNERS |
| 2017/18 | Sydney FC | Australia | Asia | A League | 1st | --- | 1st KO Rd. | Finals Series Runners-up |
| 2018/19 | Sydney FC | Australia | Asia | A League | 3rd | --- | Group Stage | Finals Series Semis |
| 2020 | Ulsan Hyundai | S. Korea | Asia | K LEAGUE | 6th+ | Qtr Final | --- | Arrived during the season |
| 2021 | Suwon Bluewings | S. Korea | Asia | K LEAGUE | 2nd | WINNERS | WINNERS | Korean FA Cup and Asian |
| | | | | | | | | Champions League winners |
| 2022 | UNEMPLOYED | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2023 | UNEMPLOYED | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2023 | Peru | Peru | S. America | WC Qualifying | 4th | --- | - | 4th at the end of the year |
| 2024 | Peru | Peru | S. America | WC Qualifying | 5th* | --- | - | 5th when I resigned |
| 2024 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Opening | 1st | --- | --- | |
| 2025 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | --- | Group Stage | 1ST DIVISION CHAMPIONS (as |
| | | | | | | | | open/close stage winners) |
| 2025 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Opening | 1st | --- | --- | |
| 2026 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | --- | 1st KO Rd. | 1ST DIVISION CHAMPIONS (as |
| | | | | | | | | open/close stage winners) |
| 2026 | Penarol | Uruguay | S. America | 1st Opening | 1st | --- | --- | Moved to Boca in December |
| 2027 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | DNE | RUNNERS UP | Copa Lib. Runners up |
| 2028 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Opening | 1st | --- | WINNERS | COPA SUD. WINNERS, CLUB WORLD |
| | | | | | | | | CUP WINNERS, Recopa Runners-up, |
| | | | | | | | | Supercup Runners up |
| 2028 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | Semi-final | Semi-Final | Copa Lib. Semis |
| 2029 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Opening | 7th | --- | WINNERS | Copa Sud. Runners up, RECOPA |
| | | | | | | | | WINNERS, Supercup Runners up |
| 2029 | Boca Juniors | Argentina | S. America | 1st Closing | 1st | Qtr Final | WINNERS | COPA LIB. WINNERS, resigned |
| 2029 | Saudi Arabia | S. Arabia | Asia | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2030 | Saudi Arabia | S. Arabia | Asia | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2031 | Saudi Arabia | S. Arabia | Asia | Asian Cup | --- | Qtr Final | --- | Knocked out in Asian Cup qrtr |
| | | | | | | | | final, resigned |
| 2031 | New England Rev. | USA | N. America | MLS | 7th+ | DNE | --- | Arrived with 12 games to go |
| 2032 | New England Rev. | USA | N. America | MLS | 14th | Qtr Final | --- | SACKED at the end of the season |
| 2033 | San Jose Earthquakes | USA | N. America | MLS | 13th | 4th Round | --- | |
| 2034 | San Jose Earthquakes | USA | N. America | MLS | 17th | WINNERS | --- | RESIGNED at end of season |
| 2035 | UNEMPLOYED | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| 2036 | UNEMPLOYED | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | |
| Key: * - left during season, DNE - Did not enter, + - arrived during season |

Was thrilled to see someone else in the MLS. I personally love the league despite being a UK based fan. Once you devote a bit of time to learn the vastly different rules, it becomes quite enjoyable and totally different from anything else you'll experience normally within Football Manager.

I usually find myself trading off any deadword for international slots as in my experience there is so much free transfer talent obtainable from South America (Brazil especially) at low wage cost. Ill also stalk the struggling MLS clubs in an all out attack to gain there Superdraft 1st round picks so I get the best young talent.

As a result (normally) I find it quite easy disappointingly to assemble a unbeatable side for that part of the world. (I didnt in FM13 though thankfully as my Columbus save was much harder!).

Always found anything but 1st and 2nd round superdraft picks are worthless and will trade them off asap.

Was just about to press post and noticed you've left the MLS. Very sad at this bombshell!

Good luck in where ever you head next.

How on earth do you fly through the seasons so quickly if you dont mind me asking. Im 28 and have a 2 year old and missus as well as work and RL footballing commitments most nights so it takes me blooming forever to get through a season let alone many of them. I watch games on fastest speed as commentary only (with replays of goals) and ive even started doing something I swore Id never do, in letting my assistant take team talks. Takes me forever!

Keep up the good work on the superb thread chap

Was thrilled to see someone else in the MLS. I personally love the league despite being a UK based fan. Once you devote a bit of time to learn the vastly different rules, it becomes quite enjoyable and totally different from anything else you'll experience normally within Football Manager.

I usually find myself trading off any deadword for international slots as in my experience there is so much free transfer talent obtainable from South America (Brazil especially) at low wage cost. Ill also stalk the struggling MLS clubs in an all out attack to gain there Superdraft 1st round picks so I get the best young talent.

As a result (normally) I find it quite easy disappointingly to assemble a unbeatable side for that part of the world. (I didnt in FM13 though thankfully as my Columbus save was much harder!).

Always found anything but 1st and 2nd round superdraft picks are worthless and will trade them off asap.

Was just about to press post and noticed you've left the MLS. Very sad at this bombshell!

Good luck in where ever you head next.

How on earth do you fly through the seasons so quickly if you dont mind me asking. Im 28 and have a 2 year old and missus as well as work and RL footballing commitments most nights so it takes me blooming forever to get through a season let alone many of them. I watch games on fastest speed as commentary only (with replays of goals) and ive even started doing something I swore Id never do, in letting my assistant take team talks. Takes me forever!

Keep up the good work on the superb thread chap

Yeah, I usually love the MLS, and look forward to my leg of the journey there. This time it just hasn't really worked out though, and not sure why. I certainly think it's been a bit more realistic this year, with a lot less of the bugs that have plagued the last few versions, but I never quite got into it. I may end up back there at some point, and when the next manager joins the save, I'm very likely to return.

For speed, it varies. Unfortunately my glass ankles don't let me play more than two or three games of football a week, and at the moment it's just the wife and me, so I don't have as much of a demand on my time. Even if she does complain when I'm always on the laptop playing FM. In game, a lot of the time I'll make use of holidays. Sometimes it's between games and then during the squad holidays, but sometimes, if I have enough confidence in my assistant, I'll holiday over matches I don't really care about in the league. With mixed results of course. That helps getting through the years. The national jobs are always pretty speedy, as you spend a looooong time on holiday. I've also recently discovered logmein, which allows me to keep my home laptop on and give it a few nudges while I'm at work. Not ideal for any serious playing, but lets me post a few updates while I'm not busy, and advance on the game a little.

I dabbled in trying to slo things down and really take my time with clubs in the first San Jose season, and I'll probably move back to that at teams where I'm enjoying myself. That will definitely slow things down in terms of how quickly I get through seasons.

kaninhelvete+arbetsl%C3%B6s+mellbystrand+laholm+arbetsf%C3%B6rmedlingen.jpg

a forameuss career

As you saw in my last update, I spent quite a bit of time unemployed, but with career earnings totalling close to $8million (don't ask why FM keeps defaulting to dollars, despite having £ set in preferences...) I just about handled it. I spent some time back in Scotland, and in Montevideo with the illegitimate children sired during my time in Penarol. Paternity payments are a killer!

But I was always on the lookout for a new job. I did the usual holiday trawl to try and get something, but to be honest, in FM14 this is a lot less fun than it used to be. Scratch that, when you're doing the tetradecagon, and don't want to go to Europe yet, it's a lot less fun. Basically I was looking for a job in one of three countries - the US, Mexico and South Africa - but only one where I thought I could be truly successful within a few years. I'm planning to spend a long time in Europe with Partick Thistle, so don't mind using bigger teams in the other continents.

In the months of unemployment, I have to say that the offers given to me were pretty rubbish. I was offered the Philadelphia Union job with them languishing at the foot of the MLS table. I rejected that, although did think about it for a while. The thought of returning to the MLS didn't fill me with much excitement to be honest.

Then San Jose returned, asking me to retake the reigns just a year after resigning. It was a big no to that one.

Then a big dilemma. Partick Thistle offered me the job with their relegation to the Championship pretty much confirmed. It was very, very tempting, and I do intend to go back at some point, but it's just not the right time. The Champions League is the final one to win in any attempt, so reluctantly I rejected the chance of an interview, with a promise that I would return in future.

With the Mexican leagues now added, I was offered a few jobs there. The most attractive was Morelia, who I'm sure I've managed in previous FMs briefly. I took one look at their position and squad and said no, because I had one club that I really wanted to manage.

Then a couple of months later, after a long wait, that club had a bit of a shocker by their standards, finishing outside the continental qualification spots for the first time in several years.

800px-Jalisco_en_M%C3%A9xico.svg.png

We are heading to Jalisco, in the center of Mexico. We are known as several names - the goats, the goats of Guadalajara, the striped goats, the sacred flock, or just simply the red and whites.

473px-Club_Guadalajara_crest.svg.png

Enter Chivas. Guadalajara here we come.

Great appointment there, come on you goats!

I had a feeling your next team would be the Jags when you said you had a tempting offer coming in, but I think you're right to go with Chivas for the now.

Good luck!

Should've been, but doesn't feel right going to Europe at this stage. I really do need to start picking up some international trophies to be honest, that'll be next up after Chivas.

Now it's just a matter of time and the CL is yours ;) I think with a Mexican club it's a lot easier to win the North American CL, than with any USA team. Good luck with Chivas!

I can also win another Libertadores trophy if I'm really successful...not needed, but would certainly be tempting.

Great career move that is, hopwfully you can achieve wonders there!

I hope so too!

Are you deactivating leagues too to reduce the load on your PC? Obviously if you keep adding it will get out of hand. Do you shut down the leagues you no longer need?

I do indeed. I added most of Asia when I started, and removed that once I won there. I then added South America, which has since been deactivated. The only ever-presents have been the MLS, Scotland and South Africa. They'll probably all be removed, except Scotland, when I finally move onto Europe. I'll add the big leagues to try and make it realistic as possible.

Which region you've played in offers the best variety and things to play for? I would like to try other regions but I love the variety of English football. The league, the FA Cup, the League Cup, Europe etc...

Other european leagues, away from their championships and europe, only give you one other cup trophy to play for most of the time. Not really tried elsewhere, outside Europe.

Which region you've played in offers the best variety and things to play for? I would like to try other regions but I love the variety of English football. The league, the FA Cup, the League Cup, Europe etc...

Other european leagues, away from their championships and europe, only give you one other cup trophy to play for most of the time. Not really tried elsewhere, outside Europe.

Mexico has a bit more actually - it has an apertura/clausura system, so two league trophies each year, and then an apertura and clausura cup system. If you win both stages, I think you qualify for both the North and South American Champions Leagues too. I don't think there are enough days in the year to play the games I may have to play.

Other than that, Belgium, Brazil, MLS, A-League are all leagues that have something a bit different.

Archived