Help needed with my 3-3-1-3 Bielsa style (Chile team) tactic

I've tried to re-create the tactic commonly employed by El Loco Marcelo Bielsa with his Chile team .

See the following article for more details: http://eplindex.com/37849/marcelo-bielsas-tactical-influence-mauricio-pochettino-tactics.html

Bielsa is seen as a tactical pioneer and has influenced the likes of Guardiola, Simeone and Pocchettino with his tactical philosophy.

In my efforts to re-create the tactic used by his Chile side i have decided to line up as follows:

gk: sweeper keeper

lcb central defender - defend

cb central defender - cover

rcb central defender - defend

LCM box to box midfielder - support

CM Deep lying playmaker - defend

RCM box to box midfielder - support

AMC - Attacking midfielder - Attack

LST - Inside Forward - Attack

STC - Complete Forward - Attack

RST - Winger - Support

I have kept all player settings on default except i made the following changes:

CB: Marking changed from man to zonal. The 2 outer cb's are man marking (normally assigned to marking the opposition strikers)

Winger I changed to hug touchline

Put all long shots to rarely

My team Instructions are as follows:

Rigid, Attacking, Passing style shorter, More Disciplined, Press More, Tackling more aggressive, Zonal Marking, Drill Crosses, roaming normal

Defensive line normal (highest),width wide (two clicks from full), tempo quick (lowest quick setting), time wasting rarely, focus passing mixed, counter attack no, play offside no.

Can anyone offer any help or tips to make this tactic work without changing the formation itself?

Thanks in advance

The thing is that you should have some wide cover too. Bielsa likes to use full backs that charge in into midfield areas and even into the box occasionally. He's not that loco that he doesn't defend the wide areas at all.

Of course football manager is a bit limited for what you want to do, so you probably shouldn't.

Have you consider using Ball Winning Midfielders instead of Box to Box midfielders? This will result in more balls being won higher up the pitch and be more Bielsa.

Also Stoppers insted of Defend roles for the outer CD's for similar reasons and to protect the flanks

When looking at his chile side when playing against a front two, Bielsa would play a back three, two marking the strikers and a spare man at the back. The common thinking is that he used full backs or wing backs that bombed forward. This isn't strictly true, what he used was almost like a cross between a wing back, a box to box midfielder and a central midfielder. They were positioned slightly wider than a standard CM But not as wide as a Wide midfielder / full back. In defensive mode they would drop back just infront but wide of the three centre backs, almost in full back positions. In fact when describing this role, they are rarely called fullbacks or wingbacks, but referred to as "shuttling midfielders". This is why i used CM's but with a very wide setup to true emulate this. Heres hoping in fm14 theres a option for the "Shuttling Midfielder" lol.

So I've made quite a few changes after doing some more research.

here is a list of changes I've made:

STR changed to defensive forward to press high up the pitch

LST moved back to AML, role changed to Defensive winger, cuts inside, took off hold up ball to press high up the pitch

RST moved back to AMR, role changed to defensive winger, hugs touchline, took off hold up ball to press high up the pitch.

LCB and RCB changed to ball playing defenders, stoppers

team changed to default passing,

changed from rigid to fluid

defense now set to first click of push up

counter attack now set to yes

What I've found is that i cover the flanks adequately, despite the narrow formation.

Also the team plays some wonderful attacking football at times.

Any further advice or comments guys?

Would love to get the input from Cleon, WWFan et al on this.

At times its as if the opposition dont know how to deal with the multiple threats coming at it, the winger staying wide, the other winger cutting inside, the forward moving into channels, the amc supporting the striker and the two box to box midfielders running in late from deep.

Quite a fan of Bielsa myself and even had the pleasure of watching his Athletic team in person. I do have to question eplindex's interpretation of the tactic though as every Bielsa side I've seen has used wingbacks. I think this article actually sets out the 3-3-1-3 better: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/08/marcelo-bielsa-chile-world-cup-2010-tactics/ (if you look at the diagram, Vidal and Millar are WBs in defence and then push in to midfield in attack).

When trying to create this myself I've used:

GK

CB

Lib

CB

WBa

DMd

WBa

IFa

APs

IFa

TMa

Admittedly this is based on his Bilbao model where the wide forwards tucked in while in possession with the wing backs pushing forward but hugging the touchline to provide the width. With Chile the wingers tended to stay wide while the wing-backs 'underlapped' and made forward runs inside them making them had to track. That effect could easily be achieved by changing the IFs to Ws and instructing the WBs to cut inside.

Team Instructions:

Fluid

Attacking

Passing style default

Creative freedom normal

Press More

Tackling more aggressive

Man Marking

Crosses depend on your front player's aerial ability

More roaming

Player instructions:

GK: Sweeper Keeper- defend

LCB: Central Defender - stopper (Specific marking the opponent RS)

CB: Central Defender - cover (Loose Zonal marking)

RCB: Central Defender - stopper (Specific marking the opponent LS)

However, I think you should decrease the closing down setting of all the center backs a little.

ML: Defensive Winger - support

DM: Deep Lying Playmaker - defend

MR: Defensive Winger - support

Wingbacks don't really act as wingbacks on FM sadly, they still act as fullbacks. To get an actual player to act like a wingback, you have to use the defensive wingers.

AMC - Attacking midfielder - Attack

LST - Inside Forward - Attack

STC - Defensive Forward - Support (Zonal Marking)

RST - Inside Forward - Attack

You may also try to use winger in wide forward positions. In that case, you can change the wide play of defensive wingers to 'Cut Inside'.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived