Desktop upgrade advice

Need some tech advice folks - looking to upgrade my desktop before FM14 comes out so that it can efficiently & quite quickly run a save with lots of leagues and large database so I can run a good sized journeyman game.

My current desktop drops to 2* on the 'add leagues screen' once number of players goes over 25,000.

Current spec is as follows:

RAM 4GB

Processor - Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz

Graphics - Intel G41 Express Chipset

Gaming graphics - 1534 MB total available graphics memory

I think it's the processor that needs to be upgraded - but to what size or spec ?

Anything else - graphics, RAM etc ?

Thanks

To run more leagues with a larger player database, you should upgrade your CPU. However, I have the same CPU as you (Core2 Duo @2.93 GHz) and what I did was simply overclock it to 3.10GHz. The game processes faster, and I've had no problems with overheating - meaning you could overclock it higher.

As far as RAM is concerned, 4GB is quite enough, my game never exceeds 3GB regardless of how many leagues I add. And for the graphics - no need to upgrade, unless you want to view the 3D matches in higher quality, it does not effect the processing speed as far as I know.

Find a core 2 quad, you can pick one up for around £40 and a cheap gpu (psu permitting) that would be the cheapest upgrade for you, dont really need to spend more than £60 in total.

There is a c2q q8200 on a certain auction site right now for £35 delivered and an amd hd6450 for £23.90 delivered.

Decent upgrade over what youve got, will run fm much better and the 3d match engine aswell all for less than £60.

As dec2k said, 4GB ram is plenty enough.

First of if your only looking to upgrade your Processor . you need to make sure your motherboard can handle a upgrade for statrers .

my guess is it cannot or that is wont be worth it for the price your pay .

so more info about how you wanna upgrade would be use full

• 3 weeks later...

So, in order for me to run a large database game (100,000 players) with lots of countries loaded & playable - and where speed is pretty quick (don't want to sit & watch it process) the suggestion is:

Upgrade processor to I5 or similar (are there better I5's than others ?) (presmably a Quad is better than a dual)

Expand operating system from 32 bit to 64 bit

A decent stand alone graphics card (to enable better & smoother viewing of matches)

Add more RAM (although 4GB may be enough)

I'm certainly no techy - simply looking to have a great FM experience by expanding the size of my saves without losing any speed

• 3 weeks later...

Guys - been looking into this and comparing costs with my budget....an i5 processor is in budget, as is a decent stand alone graphics card (been quoted for a Asus GT630 2G ram)

However, a couple of questions...

 RAM - I have 4GB now - is there any point expanding this to either 6GB or 8GB ?

 Is there any point in expanding the operating system from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit ? Have been told the benefits are minimal ?

Any advice is welcome :thup:

I also would like to know a good setup to process the fm 14 quickly, I think an i7 8gb ram and video card 2gb'd be perfect at the moment I have a i5 2.4ghz 8gb ram and video card intel graphics 3000, and I have found the 13 fm slow ... plus the 12 was pretty fast

I ask you: What can we consider fast processing fm? Thus moving from one day to another how many seconds must be more or less? Here it takes about 15 seconds on normal days and almost 40 seconds or more days of closing the window, it loaded with 50 000 players, would be considered a speed good? Because I think it has like fm be instant in the passage of days when loading many players and many alloys: /

Guys - been looking into this and comparing costs with my budget....an i5 processor is in budget, as is a decent stand alone graphics card (been quoted for a Asus GT630 2G ram)

However, a couple of questions...

 RAM - I have 4GB now - is there any point expanding this to either 6GB or 8GB ?

 Is there any point in expanding the operating system from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit ? Have been told the benefits are minimal ?

Any advice is welcome :thup:

I5 won't fit on your motherboard. Yours has a LGA 775 socket and the best you can get for it is a Core 2 Quad as dec2k has suggested above.

4Gb RAM is plenty.

64bit vs 32bit - no benefit where FM is concerned.

Re the motherboard, I am aware that it needs to be upgraded to accommodate an i5 - hence why i7 is out of budget ! The i5 I've been recommended is the i5 3470 3.2GHz.

Re 32bit being restricted to 125,000 players - that is not an issue as right now my performance rating goes below 2* at 25,000, so being able to increase that up to 5 times by upgrading to i5 is potentially huge ! :)

So, in order for me to run a large database game (100,000 players) with lots of countries loaded & playable - and where speed is pretty quick (don't want to sit & watch it process) the suggestion is:

Upgrade processor to I5 or similar (are there better I5's than others ?) (presmably a Quad is better than a dual)

Expand operating system from 32 bit to 64 bit

A decent stand alone graphics card (to enable better & smoother viewing of matches)

Add more RAM (although 4GB may be enough)

I'm certainly no techy - simply looking to have a great FM experience by expanding the size of my saves without losing any speed

I think with 100,000 players and lots of players you will be still doing plenty of waiting.

I have an i7 3.8ghz, 12gb RAM and on Fm13 I play with about 60,000 and its not instant, there is still waiting. Depends on how you define quick of course, but if you are expecting to click next and for it to be ready 2 seconds later I think you may be disappointed.

Re the motherboard, I am aware that it needs to be upgraded to accommodate an i5 - hence why i7 is out of budget ! The i5 I've been recommended is the i5 3470 3.2GHz.

Re 32bit being restricted to 125,000 players - that is not an issue as right now my performance rating goes below 2* at 25,000, so being able to increase that up to 5 times by upgrading to i5 is potentially huge ! :)

If I am being honest with you, I would go for the i5 3570k, not the 3470. The 3570k is about £30 more, but is overclock-able (which the 3470 is not), and gives much better performance, especially when overclocked.

If you were to give us an idea of budget I am sure we could help you further.

Re budget - the i5 3470 is going to be circa £155, a motherboard to support the i5, £60 and the graphics card, Asus GT630 2G, £65 - - - so already at £280 without paying for it to be fitted for me (I did say I'm no techy !!!). I guess that I'm probably not going to expand the Ram or go to 64bit given the advice above, so that probably allows the £30 more for the 3570k. My budget was really around £300, so going over that now.

I am not expecting to do away with waiting - but I have noticed that just between FM12 & 13, to keep my game performance above 2.5* my maximum number of players has dropped from 32,000 to 25,000 - so without upgrading at some point soon, I'm going to end up with just England loaded !!!

Yes - FM is the only game - outside of that I use the PC for normal browsing, emails etc & the kids use it for homework (word, powerpoint etc)

I also, like you, here is my fm single game! Besides normal pc to browse, and small programs, nothing too heavy, like pc fast kkk

• 2 weeks later...
Need some tech advice folks - looking to upgrade my desktop before FM14 comes out so that it can efficiently & quite quickly run a save with lots of leagues and large database so I can run a good sized journeyman game.

My current desktop drops to 2* on the 'add leagues screen' once number of players goes over 25,000.

Current spec is as follows:

RAM 4GB

Processor - Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz

Graphics - Intel G41 Express Chipset

Gaming graphics - 1534 MB total available graphics memory

I think it's the processor that needs to be upgraded - but to what size or spec ?

Anything else - graphics, RAM etc ?

Thanks

Graphics cards aren't that demanding with FM. Obviously the better you have the better 3D will work. If you're a 2d guy, pointless upgrading if FM is only game you play.

I'd personally upgrade the processor (make sure your motherboard is compatible with new CPU, otherwise you'll need a new motherboard too) to something like i5, depending on finances. Or even a decent quad core.

RAM is ok for now IMO, maybe upgrade to 8GB or more when needed

If your looking for components or want to have a desktop / laptop built to desired standard then try this website. I can vouch for these as i work for them and prices are great value :

[/url]Please let me know if you do buy anything from our site.

mod says:"no free advertising for your own gain here i'm afraid ;)"

Iv been building pc now for a long time .

And the best advise I can give you is do not upgrade anything unless you are 100% know what you are doing . it will be better if someone with know how can build it for u ...

Thanks for all the advice folks - to confirm, my desktop will be upgarded this week with the following:

Processor, i5 3570k 3.4GHz with a new motherboard

RAM, 8G 1600Mhz

Graphics, Asus GT630 2G

Left system at 32bit as not convinced this will make a big difference, other than 'limiting' to 125,000 players - I'm virtually limited to 25,000 players now !

Now just looking forward to 31 October.........:thup:

Thanks for all the advice folks - to confirm, my desktop will be upgarded this week with the following:

Processor, i5 3570k 3.4GHz with a new motherboard

RAM, 8G 1600Mhz

Graphics, Asus GT630 2G

Left system at 32bit as not convinced this will make a big difference, other than 'limiting' to 125,000 players - I'm virtually limited to 25,000 players now !

Now just looking forward to 31 October.........:thup:

well 64 bit will be better than the 32 bit for a number of reason ... 1 being you can only use 2 gig of your 8 gig of ram on FM if you have 32bit ..

in fact it would mean your 8 gig of ram is a waste on most other things aswell .. so 64 bit for me

I could not go to 8G of RAM as above as that meant upgrading to 64bit, which was out of budget - so went with 4G RAM 1600Mhz.....

Monday night, prior to the upgrade I set up a new game to understand how Football Manager rated my PC performance......it was rated at 2.5/5 & with a database of 39000 players (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal & Holland on large database) added, the estimated game speed was 0.5/5 :thdn:

Last night, the new computer performance is rated at 5/5 & with the same leagues & database loaded the estimated game speed is 3.5/5 :thup:

To get game speed as low as 0.5/5, I needed a database of 98000 players - the recommended maximum is 75000. All in all feels a big step up for me :)

Archived