The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

Hmm. A job that I'm extremely interested in has come up, but the only way I'll get it is if I resign first as my wages are too high. Normally I'd feel guilty about doing that, but this is the league table as things stand:

s77h.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As much as I didn't want to leave before the end of the season, I'm getting a little bored now...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping I don't regret this decision.... but:

9h3j.png

Honours at Bodø/Glimt

UEFA Champions League: 2022

Norwegian Tippeligaen: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Norwegian Cup: 2015, 2016, 2019, 2021

Norwegian Adeccoligaen: 2013

Games played: 420

Games won: 289

Games lost: 59

Games drawn: 72

Goals scored: 891

Goals conceded: 363

Win percentage: 68%

Money spent on transfers: £29.5m

Money received from transfers: £61m

5dri.png

Querétaro Fútbol Club

(From Wiki)

Querétaro Fútbol Club, also called Gallos Blancos de Querétaro, is a Mexican professional football club based in the city of Querétaro, Mexico. Querétaro plays in the Liga MX, top level of the Mexican football league system. Their colors are blue, black and white and the team mascot is a rooster.

Querétaro F.C. play their home games at La Corregidora stadium in Santiago de Querétaro. This facility has a capacity of 45,547 seats (which has been increased on FM to 77,150) and is located in the outskirts of the Cimatario hill. It is mostly used for football (soccer) games. The stadium hosted the 1986 FIFA World Cup.

Because of the short distance between the cities in the area known as el Bajío, there has always been rivalries with teams like Club Irapuato, Club Celaya and Salamanca F.C.. However, the fiercest rivalries are with Club León, Club Atlas and specially, San Luis F.C.

(From FM)

0cp1.png

kcev.jpg

The club has a valuation of £17.75m and 28,800 season ticket holders. The club has good training and average youth facilities, and the board expect a mid-table position this season.

Your progress has been steady but successful too, very realistic. I'm looking forward to see how you develop your CL standing in the next few years (if you stay!). Please don't go to a massive club! Keep up the good work!

This club may have a huge stadium - and a huge fan base - but as they've never won a major trophy I think I kept my promise about not signing for a massive club!

That's not in Scandinavia!!!

Good move and looking forward to seeing how you do. Not enough people go to Mexico - that's an awesome stadium as well :thup:

I really fancied stepping out of my comfort zone a little, so while I was tempted to look at France or Spain, this move should keep me on my toes.

This will be my 4th ever trip to Mexico on FM IIRC: two of the previous three trips have ended with the sack, while with the other one (which was documented on here) I jumped before I was pushed. In those previous games though my club expected to win trophies, while hopefully I'll get some time here.

First impressions

So I arrived at the club on Friday 5th August to find them 5th in the league after two wins and a loss from the opening 3 games of the season. There were barely any staff at the club as most of them resigned when the old manager quit to go to Club America, so my first job was to find and hire a brand new backroom team. No fewer than THIRTEEN of my staff left Bodø/Glimt when I did, but none of them fancied moving to the other side of the world. No matter.

Of course, the budget I was given was reasonable enough by the board, but to my frustration the transfer window was already closed for domestic transfers, and as I'm only allowed 5 foreigners I want to take my time before entering that market. The good news was that the club had in excess of £9m in the bank, and so the board were happy to agree to my request for better youth coaching and for new youth facilities. A good start.

We are due to play the first game of my tenure just 24 hours after my arrival, although we seem to have a bit of a player shortage. Only 14 first team players are available to play, with three of those being loanees. I've called up a couple of youngsters as well as some fringe players from the B team, but we're looking pretty short at this stage. Fingers crossed our scouts find some gems for January, but right now we'll have to hope we don't have too many injuries.

Team report

ah6g.png

y4zz.png

Hmm. You know when you save a game, you get a message telling you not to turn your computer off while the save is taking place? Those are words worth heeding!

My unplugged battery died mid-save which corrupted the file, so my time in Mexico has come to an early end - which reminds me of what happened in Denmark! Maybe the game simply doesn't want me to leave Norway?

Anyway, the good news is that my save isn't ruined thanks to the wonder of rolling files, but that means I'm back in Norway in early August. No big problem, if the job comes up again I'll apply, if not I'll bide my time for another.

Sorry for any confusion for any of you, though!

One thing being back in Norway does mean though is that I need to update a month's worth of fixtures, so here we go:

July

TL: Bodø/Glimt 5-1 Hønefoss

A thumping home win, with Dag Even Sandsund running riot. He bagged three, while Andersen celebrated his new home-grown status with two.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Sandefjord

This was a pretty average display, but a contender for goal of the season from Paulo Sergio secured three more points.

TL: Vålerenga 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

Kristoffer Lindseth was the difference maker against his former club, proving just how useful he can be. He has been a little under-used thanks to the excellence of Sandsund, but he's a really valuable asset to us.

TL: Start 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Our run of wins isn't finished at Start (sorry) thanks to goals from Lindseth, Sandsund and Torres.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Molde

This wasn't the best of displays, but another win secured and we had to come from behind too. Dario Torres scored a peach to level it before half time, and Jacobsen won it two minutes into the second half.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 4-0 Strømsgodset

The visitors are struggling this year, and we ran them ragged here. Sandsund, Torres (2) and Lindseth with the goals.

TL: Tromsø 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

Another Slaget om Nord-Norge derby has gone our way, and Torres once again was the hero. He bagged two more, which means he now needs just three more to get to 100 goals for the club. Not bad in three and a half years.

oacg.png

One other piece of news - I saw Vålerenga have an offer accepted for a striker I'd been tracking, so I decided I wasn't having that!

18 year old Polish international Krzysztof Lagiewka arrived for £2m from Lech Poznan, and although it leaves me with a selection headache, it's a good problem to have.

ubxg.png

August

TL: Rosenborg 4-2 Bodø/Glimt

A first league defeat of the season, and I've no complaints about the result. They were much better than us, and if anything the scoreline flatters us. Torres and Lagiewka on his debut.

Norwegian Cup Quarter Final: Bodø/Glimt 4-0 Strommen

A thoroughly convincing display against the second-tier side. Dario Torres scored his 99th and 100th goals for the club to put us in charge, and then Sandsund scored a trademark header to make it three. A late Tronstad goal put the icing on the cake.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Brann

Another comfortable home win puts the title within touching distance. Dario Torres again on the score sheet, before Sergio scored a peach of a free kick to seal it.

moa8.png

Kind of glad to see you back in all honesty - I was really enjoying the Bodo/Glimt progress :D

That's a great CL group as well - just a shame about the travel...

Great to see you back in Norway, I won't let you leave until you manage a perfect season in the league!

Cheers, lads. I'm not too disappointed to be back really, I'd only lost a month or so of gameplay so it isn't the end of the world. The Querétaro job didn't come up this time as the America manager wasn't sacked, so it certainly looks like I'll be staying in Norway for the time being.

supercupm.jpg

UEFA Super Cup Final

Friday 26th August 2022- Letzigrund, Zurich, Switzerland

FK Bodø/Glimt v Olympique Lyonnais

Some people think of these games as being pointless, but if a trophy is involved I want to win it. As a result we picked the strongest XI we could, and so everybody but the suspended Hakon Koppervik started against the Europa League winners.

The first half started really brightly, and with just 12 minutes on the clock we were in front. Paulo Sergio picked the ball up on the left before cutting inside, beating three defenders and smashing home with his right foot. Just five minutes later it was two as Sergio slotted a typical free kick from 25 yards - he'd now scored three goals in two European finals. My joy was short lived though, as Lyon pulled one back really quickly, capitalising on Ronaldo and Barros sleeping. Just after the break it was 2-2 as Lyon's striker went on a George Weah-like run from his own half and smashed the ball under Wolff. Disappointing, but I reacted by bringing on fresh legs which steadied the ship, and with 10 minutes to play we were back in front. Dentuco's cross was brought down on the chest of Sandsund, and given time in the area, he drilled the ball into the corner.

All over, we had a second European trophy, and yet another reason to celebrate!

tp0i.png

This give you the opportunity to win the WC for teams just like the Super Cup that you already won. Not to bad that you have to stay at Norway but I'm interested if you would make for the third time a different move after Denmark and Mexico. Good luck anyway!

This give you the opportunity to win the WC for teams just like the Super Cup that you already won. Not to bad that you have to stay at Norway but I'm interested if you would make for the third time a different move after Denmark and Mexico. Good luck anyway!

I wouldn't be afraid of leaving, tbh. Previous saves I've had managed moves without a problem, it's just sod's law I've had two issues in this one. The two issues weren't even related, so I won't worry about it!

As you say though, it's a chance to add to my trophy collection in Norway and beyond for now.

September

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Ull/Kisa

A solid enough performance secures three more points. Goals from Jacobsen and a Sandsund double get the month off to a great start.

TL: Stabæk 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

A dreadful performance, but a 92nd minute strike from Torres gives us an undeserved victory.

Champions League Group C: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 CSKA Moscow

A solid start to the defence of our trophy, although we really should have had more. Dag Even Sandsund hammered a scorcher of an effort from 20 yards - his 34th goal in European competition for the club.

TL: Haugesund 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

Once again this wasn't a great display, but Renatinho ensured the fans went away happy.

Norwegian Cup Semi Final: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Ull/Kisa

Much better performance, and we're in to another Norwegian Cup Final. Sandsund and Torres both on the scoresheet

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Lillestrøm

Once again it was Sandsund and Torres who grabbed the goals, and that brought about this:

pgqj.png

49zi.png

Champions League Group C: Valencia 4-0 Bodø/Glimt

Nothing short of abysmal, and with Torres picking up a knock and Jacobsen getting sent off, it could be a costly day in more reasons than one. Furious.

Well done on the title again mate. Hopefully your European form will pick up and you can get out of the group which looking at it is more than doable.

Cheers, man. I still fancy our chances of getting out the group, despite that hiding.

Very disappointing Valencia hammering :(

Yeah, not our finest hour. Better to happen at this stage than in the knockouts though!

October

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Start

A very complacent display which ended with me giving the team the hair dryer treatment, but we did just enough to get the win. Renatinho with the goal.

TL: Sandefjord 2-5 Bodø/Glimt

Not a great defensive display, but we were excellent going forward. Jacobsen, Torres and a Sandsund hat-trick secured the points.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Byrne

Another average home display, but once again Renatinho got the goal which sewed up the points.

Champions League Group C: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Red Star

A wonderful display gets us back on track in Europe. Dario Torres scored a wonderful solo goal right on half time to give us a huge lift, and a goal apiece from substitutes Renatinho and Lindseth in the final 8 minutes secured the points.

TL: Hønefoss 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

A highly polished away display edges us past 80 points for the season. Sandsund grabbed two more, while Renatinho also found the back of the net late on.

TL: Aalesund 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Another fine away day, and a 30th goal of the season for Dag Even Sandsund. Koppervik and Torres with the other two.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-1 Vålerenga

Not a great final home game of the season, but young Hauckland scored his first senior goal for the club to rescue a point at least.

935o.png

85 from a possible 90 points isn't bad at all...

The Norwegian Cup Final

Sunday 6th November 2022

SK Brann v FK Bodø/Glimt

Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo

pgrw.jpg

A repeat of the 2019 final then, or the Gundersen Final as I like to call it! Can we record the same result? Let's find out...

ruqs.png

2u1j.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- group stage

Red Star 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

A really solid away performance ensures we'll be playing Europa League football at the very least. Torres was unplayable, bagging two and making another for Sandsund.

CSKA Moscow 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

A really tight affair and I'm disappointed we didn't take anything. We conceded an early penalty but were never out of it, and really should have taken at least one of the chances we created.

Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Valencia

I'm really pleased with this performance. We've not been at our best for a while, but this was us at our best and Valencia couldn't live with us. Torres and Sandsund helped themselves to a goal each, and they could have had even more.

ohj9.png

December

World Club Championship

Semi Final

FK Bodø/Glimt v Tigres de la UNAL

A semi final against the CONCACAF Champions League winners, with the mighty Boca Juniors waiting in the final. We travelled at full strength, and although Tronstad picked up a virus just before the game, I was hopeful we'd have enough. Hauckland came into midfield, but the rest of the team was the same side that beat Valencia so convincingly in our final game.

First half

The game started brightly, and we were on the front foot after just two minutes. Paulo Sergio's free kick was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Tigres' keeper, before Wolff was forced into action with a block from close range. The deadlock was broken after 14 minutes, and it went our way. John Wold was picked out from a Tronstad free kick out wide, and his cross was inch perfect for the forehead of Dario Torres, who powered home from 6 yards. Thirteen minutes later it was two: a long ball over the top from Barros was met by Sandsund, and his header dropped invitingly for Torres to smash an effort on goal, and he duly obliged. His effort whistled beyond the Mexicans' keeper, and we were cruising at the break.

HT: 2-0

Second half

Tigres made a good start in the second half, and Wolff was again forced into action on two occasions, but we were far more clinical in front of goal. A long ball from Koppervik picked out Sergio in all kinds of room on the left, and although his cross missed both strikers out, he found Simen Kleiva at the back post and he drove home his first of the season. Sergio was involved again with twenty minutes to play, diving in to a challenge and coming up with the ball which set us on a lightning break. His cross then picked out Sandsund at the back post, and he in turn found Lagiewka to rifle home a fourth. Excellent.

FT: 4-0

World Club Championship

The Final

FK Bodø/Glimt v Boca Juniors

Boca had been brilliant in their semi, crushing New Zealanders Waitakere United 8-0. Having scouted them for years to try and pick off their best youngsters, I knew we'd be in for a real contest. It goes without saying then that we went for our strongest XI in our final game of 2022.

First half

One of those infuriating first halves where the main talking point in the first half an hour is two injuries to key players. Ugh. First Torres picked up a knock after three minutes, and he was replaced by Renatinho, before Wold picked up a knock 17 minutes later which meant Gouano came on to replace him. However, the game exploded into life just after. Kleiva did well on the right hand side, combining with Jacobsen and then picking out a great cross for Renatinho to nod home from 6 yards. Our lead didn't last long though, and when Dentuco failed to clear a free kick, it was swept home from 12 yards to see us go into half time all square.

HT: 1-1

Second half

A disaster of a second half - although we weren't helped by a third injury of the game after 50 minutes. That meant we'd made all of our changes, and at the end of a long season there were some tired legs. Boca took the lead after 65 minutes when Kleiva was penalised for a challenge inside the area, and the penalty was smashed home. I decided to go for it in the final 20, but Boca were excellent on the break and two late goals really rubbed salt in the wound.

FT: 1-4

plhs.png

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season summary

League (Tippeligaen)

Media prediction: 1st (of 16)

Finished: Champions

Cups

Norwegian Cup: Winners

Champions League (2022): Winners - 2023 qualified 1st in group

UEFA Super Cup: Winners

Club World Championship: Finalists

Top scorers

Dag Even Sandsund: 45 appearances (43 starts): 34 goals (22 in the league)

Dario Torres: 35 appearances (33 starts): 29 goals (17 in the league)

Renatinho: 25 appearances (9 starts): 11 goals (5 in the league)

Positives

A strange season in gameplay terms - especially as I thought I had left the club - but a year crammed full of positives. So many goals, so many points and four trophies suggests that there's very little for us to complain about. Moving to the new stadium has made the club pretty much self sufficient too, so we should never again have the financial problems we were plagued with in my early days.

Concerns

No major concerns, although Norway still aren't producing quality home grown players, which is immensely frustrating.

Ambitions

Honestly, I'm not sure yet. I might need a little break from FM while I decide my next move.

Surprise of the season

Winning the Champions League, although only losing four games in all competitions was pretty good too.

Player of the season

TBC

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 19,272 (v Strommen in Norwegian Cup Quarter Final)

Highest attendance: 20,247 - (v Juventus, Champions League last 16)

Average attendance: 19,784 (19,660 in the league)

Finances

£44,806,558

Cheers man.

I have been inspired by you to do something similar. I took over Randheim and got them promoted. c: I am only making money through selling key players and having them loaned back till the end of next season. But I am having fun!

Archived