“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

kris0710

Originally I was going to start a save after 1 year of holidaying. I have loaded just the English leagues down to BSBN/S on the last update. Whilst waiting for the game to process I couldn't decide who I wanted to take charge of so I stopped the holidaying and decided my first job would be at which club is furthest from safety in a relegation scrap. This could land me a job in the Premier League or fighting the trap door in the Blue Square Bet North.

February 8th 2013

League One is calling. The club find themselves 14 points from safety with just 12 games to go. It has been a season of failure with just four league wins so far and failing to get out of the bottom from day one.

WHAT HAVE I LET MYSELF IN FOR???

Hartlepool_United_FC.png

Hartlepool United Football Club

beforetable_zps2089d024.png

Some kind of mission impossible is the way it looks at the moment but who doesn't like a challenge?

Results

Just 1 win since October doesn't fill me with great confidence either. Not much about this does!

beforesquad_zps48cbf22f.png

There is the motely crew I have to work with over the next 12 games. With the transfer window closed more loan players should be coming in along with hopefully a couple of free transfers.

Hartlepool United

League One

February 2013

Results:

feb13-results_zps8503a1c8.png

Awful against Stevenage but could do nothing in the one day I had before the match. A two week break helped before the Brentford game. Bringing in four players we ran the leaders close, even missing a penalty that would have given Poole a hatrick.

Table:

feb13-table_zps108de9db.png

Not much has changed other than we now need 15 points from 10 games. . . . .

New Signings:

Danny Harrison - Loan signing for three months from division rivals Tranmere.

Cristiano Zanetti - Experienced 35 year old joins until the end of the season. The best part of 300 league games in Serie A hopefully will just strengthen the middle of the park.

Sam Saunders - Loan signing for three months from division rivals Brentford.

Jamie Maclaren - Another on a three month loan, this time from Blackburn.

Hartlepool United

League One

March 2013

Results:

mar13-resutls_zpsc7de7af4.png

A better month for sure but that won't be good enough to keep us up.

Table:

mar13-table_zps26d37111.png

Almost confirmed now.

New Player:

Chris Dunn - Final loanee of the season coming in from Coventry

One youth player of note, Peter Allon. A scoring debut as a sub against Tranmere earned him a start against Leyton Orient. Sadly his game ended after just 32 seconds and he now faces two months out with a sprained ankle. His strike vs. Tranmere also set him the record for the clubs youngest goal scorer.

Hartlepool United

League One

April 2013

Results:

apr13-results_zps07a08dce.png

Good end to the season for us. Will miss the goals from Maclaren next season by the looks of it. 7 in 11 since coming in makes a mockery of his 3 in 24 on loan at League Two Bristol Rovers earlier in the season.

Table:

apr13-table_zpsad8dbfa4.png

Season over and we are down. Would have needed 26 points from the final 12 games was more than I expected anyhow. Hopefully I've done enough to convince the board im the man for League Two next year.

Manager Stats:

apr13-stats_zps59ab510a.png

Following 3 defeats at the start we followed it up with one defeat in nine.

I wont bother with an end of season update as I was only here for 12 games.

Hartlepool United

League Two

Pre-Season 2013/14

Transfers Out:

jul13-out_zps6c1bfa57.png

Plenty of players leaving but only Luke James from that list did I want to keep. The young forward sealed a move to League One Rotherham at a time where I could not offer a decent contract. Only Colin Nish has yet to find himself a new club.

Transfers In:

Sam Saunders - Signed on a free after a good 10 game loan spell last season

Danny Harrison - Another signed on a free after a loan spell last year.

Jamie Maclaren - The main man for my 12 match cameo last year joins from Blackburn for £26k. Hoping he can kick on from 7 goals in 11 last season.

Chris Dunn - The fourth player to come in following a loan spell. Replaces Flinders at a small cost of £20k from Coventry.

Jordan Mustoe - Left back brought from Wigan for £35k is the biggest signing of the summer. Spent last season at BSBP side Grimsby.

Matthew Lund - Centre midfielder was a free signing from Stoke. Played 13 times in L2 for Dag & Red last year.

Nick Arnold - Another freebie comes in this time from Reading. The right back rejected a loan move to us last March.

Anthony Jeffrey - 18 year old was released from Arsenal in 2012 and will be the back up left winger.

Callum McFadzean - Loanee left winger here all season from Sheff Utd. Seven L1 apps last year for the blades.

Luca Scapuzzi - Final signing is a striker from Man City. Here on a year long loan following a 10 goal loan spell in Serie B.

Squad:

jul13-squad_zps40c4bd4b.png

Pre Season Results:

jul13-results_zps9b42eb95.png

Could not be much better. Just a draw with Premier League side Aston Villa ruined a perfect pre season. All eyes on trip to Accrington in the League.

Hartlepool United

League Two

August 2013/14

Results:

aug13-rsults_zps29a71a7e.png

A close as you like to a perfect start. Already won the same amount of games as Hartlepool had after 34 games last season! Excellent start from the Manchester City loanee Scapuzzi with 5 goals. Fellow striker Maclaren continued where he left off last season with 3 in 3 before injury puts him out for 7 weeks. Really should have 100% record but lost a 2-0 lead at home to Yeovil.

Table:

aug13-table_zps093c8bb2.png

I would take a second placed finished come May. Early days but a chance for us and Carlisle to open a gap over the play-off chasing sides.

League Cup:

aug13-cup_zps99004d12.png

Played a mainly second string away to League One Doncaster as im fully concentrating on the league this season. Although failure to score ends the run of scoring in every game I've taken charge of.

The transfer window has come and gone with no further movements. Wouldn't expect much in the loan market either unless injuries kick in.

Hartlepool United

League Two

September 2013/14

Results:

sep13-results_zps5e737871.png

Poor end to the month with defeats against sides towards the top but overall a strong start. Goals are flowing just hoping we can turn the form around going into October.

Table:

sep13-table_zps93e0f6a2.png

11 games in and already 9 points clear of the sides outside the play-off spots. Happy times. I have highlighted how the six new teams to League Two are going also.

JPT:

sep13-cup_zps8b271079.png

As with the league cup main players were rested and I am not bothered by the early exit. This year is purely about going up to League One.

No transfers in or out this month and every first teamer is now back and fit.

Hartlepool United

League Two

October 2013/14

Results:

oct13-results_zps8c112653.png

Average month for a side at the top of the table. Most disappointed with the AFC Wimbledon result as we were 2-0 up. A good month for the strikers with Scapuzzi scoring 6, Allon 3, Poole 3 and one for the returning Maclaren.

Table:

oct13-table_zps75dc10a9.png

Still in a great position and just four points off the total gained last season!

No moves in the transfer market - in or out.

Hartlepool United

League Two

November 2013/14

Results:

nov13-results_zps98c339a4.png

More like championship form this month just dropping two points. Our turn to come back from 2-0 down with the win at Rochdale. James Poole really making the most of his run in the team with goals this month.

Table:

nov13-table_zpse16fb91d.png

A real gap opening up now although some sides have a game in hand.

FA Cup:

nov13-cup_zps3a6fd649.png

Ok, so I lied. Its not just about the league this year! Desperate to get to the 3rd Round and a hopefully get a big money tie. Next up is a home tie with League One strugglers Oldham.

Hartlepool United

League Two

December 2013/14

Results:

dec13-results_zps863b979d.png

A month where nothing seemed to go right. A training ground injury to James Poole ruled him out for a month. In stepped Jamie Maclaren who started firing but was then called up to the Australia U23 squad for the Asian Cup leaving us a man down until January 16th at least.

Table:

dec13-table_zps46384d77.png

Lost a couple points in our lead and first up in January is Portsmouth. We also face 3 of the 4 play-off sides.

FA Cup:

dec13-cup_zpsecf20f23.png

Getting to the 3rd round has been achieved. Sadly the money spinning tie didn't follow. Away to League One 3rd place side Barnsley await. Meh!

Hartlepool United

League Two

January 2013/14

Results:

jan14-results_zpse0d0316b.png

A mix of results there but vitally we picked up a few points to stay top of the field.

Table:

jan14-table_zpsf3f15083.png

Things are a little tighter now and with Carlisle up next things could bunch up more

FA Cup:

jan14-cup_zps88b43637.png

Beaten easily and were never in the game. Barnsley went out 3-2 at home to Middlesbrough in the next round.

Transfers:

This month say parent club QPR send centre back Sam Magri to use. After one sub app three weeks later he asked for the loan to be terminated. We also brought in Anton Forrester from Blackburn for a month as cover for Maclaren and Scapuzzi.

And that brings me onto our big window signing. I placed a cheeky enquiry to Manchester City over Luca Scapuzzi expecting them to want more than the £64k I has to spend. A fans favourite with 22 goals in 24 league games I couldn't believe my luck City came back wanting £50k. Bid in. Bid accepted. Contract agreed. Deal done. :D

Hartlepool United

League Two

April 2013/14

Results:

apr14-results_zpsb7dcffb8.png

Mixed results there. Should have beaten Rochdale after taking the lead with just 20 to play. A better month than Northampton who lost four out of five!

apr14-champs_zps6b737740.png

apr14-table_zps586eaba6.png

Not a vintage title win but I will take it. Time to build for next season and hope I get a new contract from the board!

Northampton poor form in May really did cost them. Went into the final game second and had they won they would have been champions!

Hartlepool United

League Two

End of Season 2013/14

League - Champions.

may14-positions_zps531b23c3.png

I would say the right side won the league!

FA Cup - 3rd round defeat to League One Barnsley

League Cup - 1st round defeat to League One Doncaster

JPT - 1st round defeat to League One Notts County.

Squad:

may14-squad_zpsbf38df55.png

Luca Scupuzzi also scored 22 goals in 26 starts and 2 sub apps before joining permanently. We have 8 players out of contract with only 3 looking likely to stay (James Poole, Jack Baldwin and Paul Johnson)

I am out of contract next month and I hope to get a new contract although nothing has come from the board yet.

may14-stats_zps5672a890.png

And that is where things turn sour....

After signing a new two year contract at the club I have my wage budget cut form £26k pw to £14k pw. Even with the out of contract leaving we would be massively over budget and have to attempt to bring in 6 players only being able to offer £250 pw in wages.

Throwing my dummy out I asked for a bigger wage budget - rejected

Bigger transfer budget (currently £8k) - rejected

As this wasn't the first time I have fell out with board over things such as parent club etc I picked up my before mentioned thrown toys and walked out

jun14-resign_zps747b5495.png

As I had just won the title I decided to try jobs in the Championship. No luck from Wolves, Leeds I tried League One Derby and Doncaster.

Then two offers came

wrexhamjob_zps6159a442.png

Very close to accepting that one

grimsbyoffer_zps0455a98e.png

Was never interested in dropping to the BSBP

And then finally, 25th November im back in work....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5hhXFut5SXZZi80K7acmqEL2jknuH7rguA8xZYa7s5NIuTrRZBQ

League One

November 2014

I have a contract until June 2016 on £1,100pw

The club have £800k in the bank and have given me a wage budget of £43k pw of which £36k is being used. I also have £90k to spend on transfers.

That the plus, now the negative

Table:

nov14-tabl_zps98209698.png

Mission Survive League One Part 2.

Squad:

nov14-squad_zpsedcf138e.png

Having quickly looked at the squad these are the players in looking to until January where I can make a few moves in the transfer market.

My backroom staff are raving about Daren Lovett and I am short of CB's so he will get the next half a dozen games to see how he does.

The next three games are at home York in the League, Huddersfield in the FAC and Walsall in the JPT QF.

League One

December 2014

Results:

dec14-res_zps50de69e0.png

After a shaky start to life things are starting to look up just before the transfer window opens. Disappointing to miss out in the FA Cup as a home tie with Liverpool was the reward.

Table:

dec14-table_zps5aa2f28e.png

Four adrift, sixteen to play. Big January coming up.

League One

January 2015

Transfers In:

jan15-transfers_zps1e621333.png

A very busy month with players coming in. This has swelled out squad but with most of these players here on loan or contracts until the summer im happy to run with it.

Reece Wabara - 23 year old right back was actually my main transfers target in the summer with Hartlepool. After leaving Manchester City he was asking for a salary of £7.5k which was never going to happen. Six months without a club and I have brought him in on £1.3k. Bargain. Played all four games in Jan averaging 7.05.

Morgan Ferrier - signed a one month loan from rivals Nott'm Forest Morgan made an instant impact scoring 3 in 4. Sadly he rejected a loan move for the rest of the season. Averaged 7.55 in his 4 games.

Sam Gallagher - another young forward brought in on loan, this time until June. Another firing instantly with 2 goals in 4. Averaging 7.40 in 4 starts.

Cristian Ceballos - Spurs winger has come in until the summer. The 22 year old has started four games averaging 6.93

Adam Legzdins - A free transfer following his release from Derby. Worrying form over my current number one and my back up being inexperienced a new keeper was always a main target. Conceded 3 in 3 with a rating of 7.17

Albert Riera - 32 year old winger formerly of Liverpool joins after being released from Galatasaray. Here until the summer on a £2k deal. Three games, one assist averaging 7.23

Patrick Kisnorbo - 33 year old CB is coming to the end of his career but his experience will help us greatly.

David Bell - Another I tried to get in June whilst at Hartlepool. We have struggled with injures to wingers so a 6 month deal was always going to suit. Most recently on loan to BSBP sides Barnet and Forest Green.

Jeese Lingard - 22 year old Manchester United attacker joins as the first player to come through the link up between the clubs. Just two sub apps so far.

Will Keane - Expected to be my final signing of the season the 22 year old rejected Doncaster and Brentford for meadow Lane.

Results:

jan15-results_zps2cd0f11b.png

The kind of month I wanted. New guys settling in well

Table:

jan15-table_zpsc64c894b.png

Looking like being one hell of a final 12 games particularly as four of our final games are against sides in the bottom seven.

Doing well to pull teams to safety! Shame the way things ended with Hartlepool you definitely made the right decision to leave with that sort of board. No doubt Notts Co will be thinking of championship football within a couple of seasons. GL.

Doing well to pull teams to safety! Shame the way things ended with Hartlepool you definitely made the right decision to leave with that sort of board. No doubt Notts Co will be thinking of championship football within a couple of seasons. GL.
Good work on clawing your way out of relegation. Notts County look to have potential, it's always nice to manage a well run club.

p.s. As a Leeds fan I must warn you that Paddy Kisnorbo is a red card magnet in real life, not sure about FM life though.

Everything Is looking good at this club. No real money worries and decent wage budget to play around with.

As for Mr Kisnorbo i've kept him warming the bench for much of his time. Put with 6 games to go there is time for at least two red cards!

League One

March 2015

Results:

mar15-results_zps444c4901.png

Seven of our last 8 games have been against sides who were in the top six. Not the run of games we wanted but we have five games to turn things around. Most of the remaining games are against sides around us.

Table:

mar15-table_zps8af36bd2.png

Two points to make up but with Carlisle, Bury and Preston in the next three and a trip to York on the final day we have a good chance.

may15-sack_zpsfc501daa.png

Gutted. Was hoping for a chance to get the club promoted again. Had already offloaded 11 players on free transfers along with six players to be sold off for a total of £356k.

But you can't keep a bad manager down and my next club are straight in with an offer.

may15-ipsw_zpsb92ae5fa.png

That's right, Ipswich Town and the Championship here I come....

Hard lines. That Carlisle result at the beginning of the month was the one that did it - even a draw would have been enough to save you and send them down instead.

Good luck with Ipswich, where did they finish last season?

Also, this game confuses me sometimes. A manager with a League Two title, and two League One relegations wouldn't be offered a much bigger job after the second relegation in real life would they? Not that you haven't done well as you did great to claw them back, but I wouldn't have been expecting to jump up so high in the ladder after that.

Also, this game confuses me sometimes. A manager with a League Two title, and two League One relegations wouldn't be offered a much bigger job after the second relegation in real life would they? Not that you haven't done well as you did great to claw them back, but I wouldn't have been expecting to jump up so high in the ladder after that.

You're talking about a club that hired Roy Keane. Even a manager with those relegations would be an improvement.

You're talking about a club that hired Roy Keane. Even a manager with those relegations would be an improvement.

Haha, fair point! You know what I mean though? I'd be expecting a promotion chasing League Two side to want you, and clubs in League One to be considering, but slightly skeptical due to your history of relegation (a bit harsh given the circumstances obviously).

Haha, fair point! You know what I mean though? I'd be expecting a promotion chasing League Two side to want you, and clubs in League One to be considering, but slightly skeptical due to your history of relegation (a bit harsh given the circumstances obviously).

True, especially in England. In fact one of my favourite books is Vialli's one, an in depth comparison between football and the footballing culture of Italy and England, and while it's been a while, I remember him saying that in Italy they'd take a look at the circumstances behind a sacking/relegation rather than dismiss the manager outright. He also mentioned Benitez (though admitedly his clubs weren't quite so small) having had a poor start to his career at his first couple of clubs and how he'd never have gotten a serious chance after that in England.

As a Norwich City season ticket holder I just spat at my computer screen when reading where your journey has taken you.

Surely getting relegated was enough of a punishment without being sent to the ITFC detention camp that is being considered to replace guantanamo bay! ;) (Sorry DeltaBlue :p)

Ohhh, so close to succeeding where you failed first time around!

Gutted really. Should have stayed up. Although my best friend is a Forest fan so that pleased him!

Hard lines. That Carlisle result at the beginning of the month was the one that did it - even a draw would have been enough to save you and send them down instead.

Good luck with Ipswich, where did they finish last season?

I thought we were down after that result to be fair. Just my luck that York went on a good run for the last 8 games too. Ipswich finished 20th last season, 11pts clear of the drop. 15th and 14th the two years previous.

Yeah it is slightly strange. After leaving Hartlepool two clubs, including Ipswich were flattered with me applying for the job so maybe that has stuck despite my failure at Notts County.

As a Norwich City season ticket holder I just spat at my computer screen when reading where your journey has taken you.

Surely getting relegated was enough of a punishment without being sent to the ITFC detention camp that is being considered to replace guantanamo bay! ;) (Sorry DeltaBlue :p)

Surely you should be delighted with my appointment. My track record surely gives you hope that Ipswich will be a League One club soon enough!!

On Norwich - first season relegated, bottom of Prem with 28pts, Second season scrapped into the play-offs on goals scored (65 to Watford 64 after both having a GD of +9) and won the play-offs beating West Brom 2-1. Third season have just finished 8th back in the PL.

Archived