FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

Right, the 4th season begins. Still trying to win the treble, possibly even the quad.

Bad start to the season. Messi got a red card on his debut against Man Utd in the Community Shield. I ended up losing 2-1, though I was the better team.

Won my first 4 league matches, including 4-1 home to Man Utd, 4-0 away to Liverpool.

Fabregas is returning from a 3 month injury.

Transfers IN:

Messi - £45.5M

Bodmer - £23.5M

Galvan - £625K (finally arrived icon_razz.gif) - Fabregas tutoring him

Transfers OUT:

Walcott - £30M upfront + £40M after 1 int. cap + 50% ons [barcelona]

Clichy - £30M + 20% ons [Tottenham]

Buonanotte - £30M + 50% ons [Roma]

Ben Arfa - £30M [Chelsea] - Unsettled. Board accepted

Samba - £9.25M [Newcastle]

R.Murphy - £4M + 50% ons {Ipswich]

Other youngsters sold - Totalling around £12M

Loaned out; Vela, Wijnaldum, Merida, Barazite, Saivet, Lasnbury

Remaining budget = £309M, Wage Budget Difference = £2.01M

First Team (used for league matches)

GK: Lloris

RB: D.Alves

LB: Traore

CB: Djourou

CB: Richards

CM: Veloso

CM: Martinez

AMC: Messi

AMC: Fabregas

AMC: Silva

ST: Adebayor

Second Team (used for most cup and champions league matches)

GK: Fabianski

RB: Sagna

LB: Taiwo

CB: Toure

CB: Sakho

CM: Toulalan

CM: Bodmer

AMC: Aguero

AMC: G.dos Santos

AMC: Van Persie

ST: Bendtner

If I don't win the treble this season, I'm a pathetic manager.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mikiz:

Seems to be working with Bendtner scored twice using that instruction icon_smile.gif

Glad to hear it. Dunno why Ade isn't banging them in for you tbh :s Like I said before, hopefully he's just going through a rough season so far, and he'll pickup his act.

Anyhow I gotta go for now, gluck!

1st season is over, won the league quite comfartably finishing with 98 points and did'nt lose a single league gameicon_smile.gif Anyway, i'm coming up to the transfer window and the only player i have signed is Maxi Rodriguez on a free. I've been given a healthy £82m budget so here is the rest of my squad:

GK: Lloris / Fabianski

DR: Sagna / Eboue

DC: Toure / Djourou

DC: Barzagli / Gallas

DL: Clichy / Traore

DM: Flamini / Denilson

MC: Fabregas / Denilson

MC: Van Der Vaart / Rosicky

AMR: Rosina / M.Rodriguez

AML: Van Persie / Marcelo

FC: Adebayor / Eduardo / Bendtner

finished the summer transfer window on the 3rd season.

GK:buffon,Lloris

LB:Traore,ramos

CB:Toure,Sakho

CBicon_biggrin.gifjourou,Felipe

RB:Sagna,richards

LM:Fernandez,Adbou Traore

CM:Fab,Iniesta

DM:Veloso,Yaya

RM:Messi,Dos Santos

ST:Adebayor,Bendtener (target)

ST:Aguero,Vela,Bojan

roma came in with 20mill bid for lucas and 30 for maxwell so i accepted both.

this team will not have a problem now i have 2 target men upfront and a free kick taker

Right that's wierd. Adebayor has recovered after 3 weeks, though it was a 2 month injury :s

Vela made a great start too. Played 2, scored 3, assisted 1, 8.50.

Why did Ade recover so fast from fractured ribs? I have great physios so aren't they supposed to give accurate estimates of how long his injury will be?

Oh I see, I wish I didn't recall Vela now. Will have to wait until January to loan him back out.

Also, there's definately a bug with Chelsea's defending. I've beaten them 5-0 and 6-0 at home in the past, but now this:

Chelsea vs Arsenal

And I didn't even play Alves, Fabregas, Silva, Messi, Traore, Richards or Adebayor.

There's definately something wrong with Chelsea, their CBs give too much space or something. Can't quite put my finger on what exactly is wrong.

Yeah I do.

Kimz Tactic

I've won 18 lost 2 this season. Both the losses were unlucky too. I dominated them, but had 10 men in 1, and the keeper got MoM in the other.

Loving the tactic so far. Everyone get's involved. You attack with 8 outfield players and defend with 6.

If you go through a bad patch with your current tactic, you should give it a go.

Hehe, nothing is changed for away matches. For every match, on opposition instructions, I tackle hard and tight mark all players except their defenders. I close down players with 15+ creativity and show onto weaker foot for 1 footed players.

I keep a LB and RB as a sub and bring them on when the other 2 drop below 80%.

It looks very offensive but the players get back.

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">why am i so **** at this game?!

what am i doing wrong?

Probably taking it too seriously mate! icon_biggrin.gif

Post the squad and tactics and what kind of results you're getting and lets see if we can help you! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

right then hulk, hope you can help me mate.

(i dont know how to post the screen shots, im bad on computers!)

so my squad looks like this:

simple 4-4-2 with small arrows from the 2 wingers

GK: fabianski/lehmann

lb:clichy/traore

rb:sagna/eboue

dc:toure/gallas/senderos

mlicon_razz.gifayet/rosiky/foggia

mr:hleb/walcott/fogia

mc:fabregas/rosiky

mc:banega/song/diarra

fw:rvp/aguero/vela

fw:defoe/eddie johnson

mentality:all on normal apart from 2 cb's on defensive

creative freedom: all on normal

passing style: short

tempo: slow

width: normal

closing down: always

focus passing:mixed

marking:zonal

use target man(normally rvp) mixed supply

use playmaker(either fab or rosiky)

-----

1st season i came 5th, same points as 4th place everton though. and won the league cup. did quite poorly in everything else

this season, so far:

position 4th

plyd 30 won 17 drawn 7 lost 6 pts 58

scrd 59 conc 31

my home form is pretty good. won 12 drawn 4 lost zero. scored 40 concieded 13

the problem seems to be lying with my away form,

played 14 won 5 drawn 3 lost 6

only scored 19 and conceded 18

-------

noticable wins and losses

chelsea (H) 5-2

portsmouth (A) 1-3

liverpool(h) 4-0

man city (A) 0-3

newcastle (A) 0-2

everton (A) 0-1

man u (H) 2-1

charlton (A) 0-1

went out 3rd round in both domestic cups, F.A against man u and league against middlesbrough.

in quarters in uefa cup, won fisrt leg at home to chelse 2-1, whats the best way to play the 2nd leg?

------

defoe 20 gls 3 asts

van persie 18 gls 11 asts

aguero 6 gls 6 asts

hleb and rosiky have 9 and 6 assists respectively.

sorry its a really long post. would of been much easier with screen shots!

any help where i can improve is grwatly appreciated!

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">why am i so **** at this game?!

what am i doing wrong?

Probably taking it too seriously mate! icon_biggrin.gif

Post the squad and tactics and what kind of results you're getting and lets see if we can help you! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

right then hulk, hope you can help me mate.

(i dont know how to post the screen shots, im bad on computers!)

so my squad looks like this:

simple 4-4-2 with small arrows from the 2 wingers

GK: fabianski/lehmann

lb:clichy/traore

rb:sagna/eboue

dc:toure/gallas/senderos

mlicon_razz.gifayet/rosiky/foggia

mr:hleb/walcott/fogia

mc:fabregas/rosiky

mc:banega/song/diarra

fw:rvp/aguero/vela

fw:defoe/eddie johnson

mentality:all on normal apart from 2 cb's on defensive

creative freedom: all on normal

passing style: short

tempo: slow

width: normal

closing down: always

focus passing:mixed

marking:zonal

use target man(normally rvp) mixed supply

use playmaker(either fab or rosiky)

-----

1st season i came 5th, same points as 4th place everton though. and won the league cup. did quite poorly in everything else

this season, so far:

position 4th

plyd 30 won 17 drawn 7 lost 6 pts 58

scrd 59 conc 31

my home form is pretty good. won 12 drawn 4 lost zero. scored 40 concieded 13

the problem seems to be lying with my away form,

played 14 won 5 drawn 3 lost 6

only scored 19 and conceded 18

-------

noticable wins and losses

chelsea (H) 5-2

portsmouth (A) 1-3

liverpool(h) 4-0

man city (A) 0-3

newcastle (A) 0-2

everton (A) 0-1

man u (H) 2-1

charlton (A) 0-1

went out 3rd round in both domestic cups, F.A against man u and league against middlesbrough.

in quarters in uefa cup, won fisrt leg at home to chelse 2-1, whats the best way to play the 2nd leg?

------

defoe 20 gls 3 asts

van persie 18 gls 11 asts

aguero 6 gls 6 asts

hleb and rosiky have 9 and 6 assists respectively.

sorry its a really long post. would of been much easier with screen shots!

any help where i can improve is greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

where to improve the squad ofc, i have a healthy 150M to spend after the succesful season and the huge TV/CL monies

I would definately sell:

Hoyte, Zaccardo, Eduardo, Flamini, Hleb, Pires.

I dunno who Frey and Steele is so if they're not good enough, get rid.

Possibly sell Walcott unless you use him as a super-sub.

I'd definately say buy a better keeper. Fabianski and Hart are good, but you can get better. Lloris, Frey, Buffon, Akinfeev, Neuer are suggestions.

Buy a back-up RB, possibly De Silvestri, Rafinha, Behrami.

If you're selling Clichy, bring in someone like Taiwo, Guilherme or Insua.

With that cash, bring in Silva or Messi if they're interested.

i can never undertsnad why people don't rate Eduardo, i mean the mans a beast on the 8.0.2 patch, also Zaccardo will stay because if i sell him then i will have to spend a stupid amount of money to get in a replacement, Steele is a 18 year old boro propsect i sigend last season, personally don't think i need Messi/Silva as they wouldn't find a place in my team

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

i can never undertsnad why people don't rate Eduardo, i mean the mans a beast on the 8.0.2 patch, also Zaccardo will stay because if i sell him then i will have to spend a stupid amount of money to get in a replacement, Steele is a 18 year old boro propsect i sigend last season, personally don't think i need Messi/Silva as they wouldn't find a place in my team

The defender Eduardo, not the striker. The striker is immense.

Zaccardo really is too slow mate, Behrami/Rafinha/De Silvestri wont cost too much. And you have £150M for heaven's sake icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by teeyougee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

The defender Eduardo, not the striker. The striker is immense.

Zaccardo really is too slow mate, Behrami/Rafinha/De Silvestri wont cost too much. And you have £150M for heaven's sake icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the defender Edu is a wonderkid and the fact he can play in so many positions means he will stay as long as possible, just because i have 150M doesn't mean i have to spend it, i don't wanna spend 10-15M for players that won't play, just makes no logical sense

People, need some advice on where to improve:

DC: Toure / Djourou

DC: Barzagli / Gallas

DM: Flamini / Denilson

MC: Van Der Vaart / Rosicky

AMR: Rosina / Hleb / Walcott

AML: Van Persie / Marcelo

FC: Adebayor / Eduardo / Bendtner

I'm in the summer transfer window after the 1st season with £82m. Thanksicon_wink.gif

rich_sotdc

Ok, first up try to do the best you can this season. Salvage whatever you can and try to get yourself to atleast 4th in the league so you can qualify for the CL. How far ahead are you of the 5th placed team? Comfortable there or not? As for the return leg against Chelsea, it depends how you should play. If you usually struggle against big teams away and concede too many goals then I'd try to play a little defensive and hit them on the counter. Personally, seeing as you're not in the best of forms overall, I'd go there with a defensive mind-set. Have your full backs on complete defence if needed. And have them man-mark Chelsea's wingers (if they play any that is). I really cant recommend much here because you should not alter your tactis completely in such a crucial game as your players might not take well to it. You might try to go with two DM's in the centre. And play Eboue as well on the right wing imo. He'll be useful since he's quick going forward and can also defend. Remember, its not up to you to attack as you're in the lead. Play on the counter and dont play too high up the pitch. See where that gets you. If you get knocked out then dont worry about it and just try to concentrate of getting 4th place in the league.

If you're still in a job next season, then I suppose you can try to implement a few changes. I wont recommend much right now as I've got no idea if the board will renew your contract! So finish this season and before you go on to the next one, post up your results and where you feel you're really lacking and we'll try to sort something out.

In the meantime, not happy at all with your settings. RVP is terrible as a TM mate. And especially on mixed supply. The boy cant jump bascially! Now, if you're going well in the league and feel that 4th place is safe, then just keep with your tactics. I would never recommend making drastic changes to your tactics so late in the season. Its best to do it in preseason and let the team get used to it. It actually does tell in the game as well! If you're on a bad run lately, then let know and will try to recommend some other tactic.

Anyway, firstly, you MUST play RVP and Aguero together mate. They are your best two strikers by a mile. Defoe is decent at best and Johnson doesnt belong at Arsenal!! I'd recommend you play the following line-up most of the times:

GK : Lehmann

LB : Clichy

RB : Sagna

CB : Toure

CB : Gallas

DM : Diarra

CM : Fabregas

AML: Rosicky

AMR: Hleb

ST : Van Persie

ST : Aguero

Give Hleb, Rosicky & Van Persie all free roles. Especially for Robin, its crucial. Have an arrow from AML & AMR to AMC for both Hleb & Rosicky. There's no point going wide in your game because your players dont have the capability to score from crosses. You dont have enough aerial presence there. Keep your team mentality on attacking at home and normal away. The rest is fine. But dont use any TM's. Just play normally. Imo, its a huge conflict if you try to use your playmaker and at the same time use your TM. Doesnt make sense as its got to be one or the other. Just make these slight adjustments in an easier game and see if it works. Dont make wholesale changes just now though.

Once you finish the current season, post the results up here again. We'll try to come up with a better tactic for you to make Arsenal more of a force in the league again. Will also recommend some signings at that point because the team really looks weak atm. Let know if you need any other help in the meantime. Good luck.

cheers hulk mate, really appreciate your help

in the league im quite comfortabley 4th placed. spurs are 5th and im 4 points ahead with 2 games inhand on them.

im 1 point behind 3rd place man u

1st n 2nd place are pretty much out of reach now so il be either 3rd or 4th. il be happy with either atm, just hope i get mycontract renewed! theyre not happy with me at all icon_eek.gif

my problem is i dont really understand the tactics side of the game so i just put anyone set as anything to see if it helps.

il let you know how i get on anyway later.

i think i need this eufa cup trophy to salvage my arsenal career!

cheers again buddy

No worries mate. Glad to help.

Just get this season over with and we'll try to help you out on the tactics end. You dont really need to think a lot about it tbh. Just concentrate on getting your own right first and then later on you can start worrying about the other teams tactics. Finish the season and see if they renew your contract. If they dont, then start a new game and we'll try to sort you out anyway. icon14.gif

Hi Guys

Just started new Arsenal game with the patch, hopefully looking to sign few young players, I chose continental qualification got £45m City have come straight in with a bid of £6m for Almunia should I sell at this price?

Any player reccomendations on who to buy would be great, i am tempted to do a Wenger and not sign anyone just use players i have and bank money but i think Arsenal are short of 1 or 2 quality players.

Cheers

Andy icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Lone Gooner:

Hi Guys

Just started new Arsenal game with the patch, hopefully looking to sign few young players, I chose continental qualification got £45m City have come straight in with a bid of £6m for Almunia should I sell at this price?

Any player reccomendations on who to buy would be great, i am tempted to do a Wenger and not sign anyone just use players i have and bank money but i think Arsenal are short of 1 or 2 quality players.

Cheers

Andy icon_smile.gif

I think the main buy in the first few seasons is a replacement quality goal keeper. Lehmann really starts to go downhill in the 2nd half of the first season for me. The usual names apply (Frey, Akinfeev, LLoris etc).

The rest depends on the way you plan to play. I typically go for 1-2 more AML/R/C type players (I like Van der Vaart, Fernandez, Menez, Barnes, Ben Arfa etc), 1 to fill my AMC behind the strikers slot, and the other to fill in for injuries to Rosicky/Hleb etc.

An extra back up centre back is another option. Adebayor and RVP are good enough, but you can go for high end goal scorer like Aguero to provide some rotation options.

Update:

Well, my Arsenal team has managed to win the Premiership with 4 games to go. A 0-0 draw against Man Utd sealed my premiership win in the first season and a 4-1 win against AC Milan helped me progress to the Champs league final. An FA Cup final to play against Portsmouth and a Champions league final remains against Chelsea.

Team by end of season:

GK: Aouaote

DR: Sagna

DL: Clichy

DC: Gallas

DC: Toure

MR: Vanden Borre (Marcelo suffers broken leg)

ML: Sirl

MC: Poulsen

MC: Fabregas

ST: Adebayor

ST: Larsen/Eduardo

Tactic= 4-4-2 attacking (one striker set to targetman)

Soren Larsen was an influential figure in my champions league run, hitting 7 in 9 games. 2 came in my 4-1 win over AC Milan. Though he only got 9 in the prem, he's been a handy figure up front. Seems to do better in europe than league (same on 07).

Just reached the end of the January transfer window. Very uneventful for me. Only bought Abdou Razack Traore for 2.2M. Already got pretty good stats he does. I think he could develop into a quality winger.

Anyway, going great guns in the game. Havent lost OR drawn a game yet!! I've played 38 games in all competitions and won all bloody 38 of them. Annoying because it ceases to be interesting after a point. But its great too because I wanna see how many consecutive victories I can chalk up!! icon_cool.gif

Adebayor & RVP have been blazing away. Robin has 21 in 20 with 21 assists as well (about 5-7 of those would be from corners as well I suppose). Ade has 25 in 19 with 9 assists. Bendtner has been good too with 11 goals in 15 starts and 7 assists. Eduardo has 11 goals in 22 games with 3 assists.

Now the thing I'm most glad about is that in my game, somehow the corner "bug" is not very prominent. My defenders have only got 9 goals between them. 6 for Micah, 2 for Burdisso & 1 for Toure. And Toure's goal I remember was a scorcher from distance, not a set-piece. So that's only 8 goals which I think is not unrealistic in 38 matches. Happy about that because otherwise it does ruin the game a bit. Thats not to say that I've not TRIED to score more from corners. I do have the set-up as should be with the big men challenging GK, attacking near post etc. But its not working for some reason.

So I've got the league pretty much wrapped up already. I've got a 22 point lead already with 24 matches played! Got Newcastle in League Cup final, Tottenham in FA Cup 5th round & Valencia in Champions League 1st knockout round.

Am already thinking about next season though. Almost all of the "original" Arsenal players that I still have with me are wanted by some team or the other. Speaking of, anyone notice how much AC Milan loves to buy our players? Atm, they're interested in Djourou, Toure, Sagna, Clichy, Fabregas, Flamini, Rosicky, Van Persie, Adebayor, Defour, Bendtner & Eduardo!!! Wtf?? Anyway, like I was saying, since almost all the "original" Arsenal players are wanted, I'm probably gonna sell quite a few of them and play the game with new players I suppose. I think I've pretty much figured out how to get the best out of the Arsenal lot so its become much easier. So am looking to sell:

Rosicky

Hleb

Flamini

Eduardo

Those 4 go for sure (well as long as I get good offers for them). And also contemplating selling (dont bloody yell at me for this):

Toure (I KNOW I KNOW!)

Clichy (love him but wanna try someone else)

and lastly,

Fabregas icon_redface.gif

The deal is that I know if I dont sell and get new players, I'll get bored and just end up starting a new game. However, they wont be going cheapish. I put a price on their head and if someone matches it, fine. Else they can bugger off.

Anyway, they only go if I can find a suitable replacement at a resonable rate. I dont intend to pay over the odds for anyone no matter how good. And also, they only go if I can get my potential targets. Else, I think I'll keep them. Wonder what you guys think of my potential replacements (feel free to recommend others):

Rosicky (plays AML) - Guardado (20M), Vicente (13M), ???. Matias will be first choice when Rosicky leaves. So dont want Silva just yet. Someone who doesnt automatically deserve to be first choice. Remember, I bought Traore as well who's a left winger. Think I should just stick with him as second choice?

Hleb (plays AMR) - Joaquin (13M or so if he gets listed), Belluschi (7M odd), Ribery (25M is the max I'm willing to go for him), ????. Need some more recommendations here. No Quaresma please! And dont say Ronaldo or Messi either. Oh, and I think I'm definitely buying Giles Barnes and will sell Walcott.

Flamini - Yaya Toure (20M, reckon its a good price and a good replacement?), Bodmer (16M, he's way out in front of the others as my top target for now!), Pirlo (15M is all I'll pay if he becomes available for that), De Rossi (willing to go as high as 30M but doubt that'll be enough as well), any others???. Got Veloso and Denilson will be back from loan for here. Might just decide not to buy actually. I really like Denilson. But Bodmer for 16M is really tempting!!

Eduardo - Adriano (7M or so, might just buy him now so he can come start of next season before his price escalates!), who else? Dont want the usual in Fred, Aguero, Bojan, Briand. Would love Benzema but wont go more than 25M for him. Any chance? Or any other recommendations? Remember, I'm not going over the top for anyone. I'm praying Tevez gets unhappy at Man Utd. He usually does in my games. Might just be able to snap him up for under 20M. Vela will go back out on loan. He's not ready yet.

Toure - not selling under 40M and not selling to anyone in England. Not Barcelona either as I HATE them. Anywhere else will do. Albiol has a 15M release clause so am tempted there. Mertesacker maybe for about 17M tops? Who else? Suggestions again please! Quite like Habib Bellaid but the poor joker just damaged his ligaments and is out for 7-8 months! Might be too risky. What about Gonzalo Rodriquez of Villarreal?? Looks good he does.

Clichy - same criteria above for sale. Price would be nothing less than 30M. And only way he leaves is if I can get Chiellini for the same or lesser price or if I can get Taiwo for about 13M. If I dont get the above 2 targets, he stays.

Fabregas - again, no sale to English clubs. Will sell him to Barca though but only if they include Iniesta in the deal. Looking at about 10-15M + Iniesta. Else, atleast 70M + 50% next sale as I might want him back. Replacements for him are Iniesta like I said, Kaka if I can get him for the same price or less, Toulalan (only if I get him for 30M or less). Anyone else comes close to the same class? Again, if I cant find anyone almost as good, then he stays too.

Sorry for the long post. Would be interesting to get peoples opinions though. icon14.gif

Time for an Update, Just starting 2nd season:

Main Transfers In:

T.Henry - Marcelo & recieved £18m

Veloso - £13m

Aguero - £30m

Squad

DC: Toure / Gallas

DC: Barzagli / Djourou

MC: Veloso / Flamini

AMR: Rosina / M.Rodriguez

AMC: Aguero / Van Der Vaart

AML: Van Persie / Rosicky

FC: Adebayor / Henry / Bendtner

Hoping to win the champions league this season after getting put out by United last season.

Archived