FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

That's some great achievements, theincrediblehulk!

What tactic do you play? I'm especially interested in how you have your defence setup as I tend to leak too many goals.

Cheers mate! My tactic is pretty simple really. I play 4-1-3-2 with the defenders defending and the attackers attacking. I dont see any point in my defenders trying to be heroes and trying to score goals in the game. I figure if you've got good enough players (and I know I do), they'll score for you anyway.

My defenders are set to completely defensive modes.

The CB's:

Mentality - Defensive (all the way to the left)

Creativity - Least

Passing - Direct (one step up from normal)

Closing - Mixed

Tackling - Hard (make sure their stats are 15+)

Forward runs, Run with ball, Long shots, Through balls, Cross ball all rarely.

The FB's:

Creativity - Least

Passing - Direct (one step up from normal)

Closing - Often (the only change from CB's)

The DM:

Creativity - Least

Passing - Mixed

Closing - Mixed

Just make sure that your players are all good at marking, tackling, concentration, decisions, positioning, team work and work rate (14-15+). Thats a lot I know but are important stats for any defender. Passing and composure should be decent as well. Pace too (14+). My DM is VERY important for me. Thats why I chose not to sell Gilberto because he does all the dirty work for my defenders. If you come across a team who has one stand out player, your DM can completely nullify him with man-marking. I always man-mark, for eg, Gerrard when I play Liverpool. Gilberto just takes him right out of the game most of the times. Also, if the opposition plays only 1 striker (Chelsea do it a lot with Drogba), I again have the DM man-mark him. That leaves the CB's free to deal with the other threats. Whatever the formation the other team plays, I ALWAYS try to make sure that there's atleast one CB who's free to pick up any stray balls (kinda what a sweeper would do). Because even if a player gets by my other CB or my DM, the free CB can deal with him. And depending on cirumstances, I sometimes have 2 players mark one guy. I try to make an adjustment in my formation if I know I'm coming up against someone who'll need two guys on him. Eg, when I got Inter in the CL, I knew Ibra is the one man who'll kill me in that team so I had a CB and Gilberto man-mark him. He was still giving me a lot of trouble but I managed to hold out. Just dont give your players too much to do and dont ask them to do what they cant do. In some matches I get reports from Grimandi saying that the oppositions wingers will be a big threat and I should have my wingers track back to help out in defence. I never listen to that because whats the point of asking guys like Hleb and Rosicky to come back help when the suck at it? I figure my FB's should be good enough to do that most of the time and on occassions when they are beaten and the winger puts in a cross, my CB's are strong enough to deal with it. Mind I do have very good CB's in Toure, Barzagli and Gallas (Senderos is solid as well for what I do but his pace is very less. Djourou will be great when I get rid of Gallas). Hope that helps a bit! icon14.gif

Patch you're game, your defenders score so low because they dont close down or make any tackles.

Toure is averaging 7.5, Barzagli 7.3, Sanga 7.5 and Eboue 7.2 for me.

Yeah I suppose it would help if I installed the patch but I'm gonna wait for the final version. This one still has bugs in it and I couldnt be bothered with them. As it is, even though my CB's dont have the greatest AR, they're still doing very well with the few goals they concede. And since I dont want to bother selling them (except maybe Gallas), its all good! icon_smile.gif Btw, Eboue's already gone for 19M to Real Madrid (went in Jan) icon_biggrin.gif.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey incrediblehulk...ur team look really great there....one question...how ur setup ur attackers...my striker got a lot of chances and shot on goal but cannot convert it...

It depends on what your team in mate. What players do you have in your strike force and midfield? My starting 11 last season (mostly) was:

ST : Adebayor and RVP

LAM: Rosicky/Fernandez

RAM: Rosicky/Hleb

CM : Fabregas/Rosicky

Firstly, my TEAM settings:

Mentality - Attacking (one short of all-out attack)

Creative - Normal

Passing - Mixed/Short (hardly ever play direct or long)

Tempo - Slow

Width - Narrow

Closing - Normal

Time waste- Normal/ Rarely

D. Line - Deep (one short of all the way)

Tackling - Normal

The rest is as it is.

My strikers:

1. Adebayor (plays on the left)-

Mentality, Creative freedom, Passing, Closing down, Tackling are all set to "team".

* Forward runs : Often

* Run with ball: Often

* Long shot : Mixed

* Through balls: Rarely

* Cross balls : Rarely

The rest is as all as it is.

2. RVP (plays on the right)-

Mentality, Creative freedom, Passing, Closing down, Tackling are all set to "team".

* Long shot : OFTEN

* Through balls: Rarely

The rest is as all as it is except FREE ROLE which is ticked for RVP. This is particularly important for him as it gives him a lot of freedom which he needs.

My LAM and RAM:

* Long shot : Mixed

* Through balls: Mixed

Again, FREE ROLE for both of them is checked. Also, both the LAM and RAM have arrows pointing inside toward the CAM positions. Thats pretty important because your width is narrow. Now with these guys you need to be a little careful and think a bit. Firstly you have to know whether they are any good at free roles or not. My midfielders are Hleb, Rosicky and Fernandez who all excel at free roles. Dont ask me how you can tell if they're good at free roles though. I know about these guys from what I've observed and also from real life. Rosicky and Hleb always have free roles when they play for Arsenal. If you're not sure, then best leave it unchecked or ask!! Secondly, if you're asking them to cut in take a look at their passing and long shots. For eg, when I play Rosicky and Fernandez I generally put their "Long Shots" to often as they are both very good at it (I recommend 15+ for long shots to do this). Composure is also important in this (14+). However, when I have Hleb play, I ALWAYS make sure his "Long Shots" are set to "Rarely" because he's terrible at it. You just have to play around with it like that.

Sometimes, when I want to give players like Walcott a few games, I use different settings for him (I play Walcott as RAM always. He doesnt have the finishing to be a striker imo). Anyway, for Walcott, I never have him cut inside because he's better off running on the outside with his pace. I also put his "Long Shot" and "Through Balls" to rarely and cross balls to "Often" because he's running on the flanks. Its just a case of knowing your player and what he can do best.

MY CM:

Ok, this is mostly Fabregas. Cant look anywhere else for him imo. I dont why people cry about "he doesnt do much" etc etc because he's crucial to me in that role. He does SO much for me in that position, its not funny. And I know how important he is when he's not playing. Genius of a player. You dont really need to retrain him as CAM. He's fine exactly where he is and as he is. Now he's my main guy where everything starts from generally. His instructions are different:

Mentality - Attacking (all the way to the right)

Creativity- Much (all of the way to the right)

Passing - Team

Closing D - Team

Tackling - Easy

Forward Runs and Run with Ball are both set to "Often". Long shots are "Mixed". Through Balls are "Often". Cross Balls "Rarely". The rest, keep it as it is. Now Fabregas doesnt need a free role. He's not too good at it so no point in checking it. He does everything anyway. He works wonders for my team with these settings.

The other thing that really irritates me is when people playing as Arsenal complain about getting MC and not finding one. They only need to look it the current squad and will one who's brilliant besides Cesc. And that's Rosicky. He's GREAT when played as MC as well. Not as good as Fabregas but when Cesc needs a rest or is injured, Rosicky easily does a great job. Its not just filling in because he's good enough to play there all the time. And he plays very well a RAM as well if required. He's a great little player to have and I would never recommend selling him.

You just have to think about your opposition's quality and listen to the scout reports. Also, many tend to try to tweak too many things, too many times during matches. It doesnt work that way. If you behind after 10mins, it doesnt mean you need to panic and change some of your settings. Let your players play. If you change the settings all the time, it'll take some time for them to adjust to it. Also, try to keep only 2-3 different formations and strategies through the season as the players find it hard to keep changing every other game.

Judge how good or bad your opposition. I always let my attackers attack as much as they want in 99% of the games. The only games where I curb them a little is when I go to Man Utd or Chelsea (only away games). In those games, I have them set to normal mostly. Also, depending on the form my team is in, I may change my team instructions a little. Many times, I play Counter Attacking football against these big teams, with the TM option checked. I put Adebayor as my TM and everything goes to his head. Passing style is "Direct" and depending on the defenders of the other team, I either have him "Hold Up Ball" or just let him take the defenders on. Eg: When playing Man Utd, no point letting him take on the defenders because Vidic and Ferdinand are quick, strong and very good. Same with Chelsea. But when I played Liverpool, I had Adebayor just run at their defenders. Carragher is good but Hyppia is slow and old so Ade is generally able to take him on and beat him. Carragher is not too quick either. Another good way to play against slower defenders is to use the TM option but the TM supply to be "Run onto Ball". This is especially useful if you have really quick striker. I'm gonna do this with Aguero often in the new season when I start.

Phew! I'm getting tired now!! Lastly, if your strikers find it difficult to finish and score goals, make sure you have a look at your training. Your coaches should all be ATLEAST 6* for a club of Arsenal's stature. So make sure you adjust them accordingly. And dont give them too much work either. Also, look at the training schedules of the players. They're obviously not getting enough "shooting" training if they arent able to finish. Put them on intensive shooting if you have to. But your training schedules (both for preseason AND inseason) need to be spot on. Extremely important to what your player does on the pitch.

Alrite, I think I got everything. Bloody well hope it helps. Took me long enough to type all of that up!!! Phew!! icon14.gif

End of transfer window in 1st season...

After winning all of the frienly matches, I met Tottenham in first match. Te debut for Sergio Aguero. I won 4-2 after these scored goals.

Aguero(2)

Denilson

Adebayor

Best start Aguero could get icon_biggrin.gif

In the champions league qualifier I got drawed with Toulouse. I won 7-0 away icon_eek.gif with aguero, van persie(2), Eduardo,Adebayor, Hleb and Denilson scoring goals.

Then I had Portsmouth(home), Reading(away) and Sunderland(away). Easy games.. I won 2-0, 3-0 and 3-0.

Then Toulouse again which I got a draw 1-1.

Player of the Month: Van Persie icon14.gif

Young Player of the Month: Denilson icon14.gif

And Manager of the Month: ME icon_biggrin.gif

Bought(£):

Henri Saivet(Bordeaux) 400k

Georginio Wijnaldum(Feyenoord) 75k

Hugo Lloris(Nice) 10m(worth it icon14.gif)

Género Zeefuik(PSV) 900k

Alessandro Tuia(Lazio) 250k

Ever Banega(Boca) 2.2m

Antonio Adán(R.Madrid) 675k

Ignacio Camacho(At.Madrid) 9.25m(may have overpaid icon_frown.gif)

Iago(Barca) 4m

Marcelo(R.Madrid) 6m

Sergio Aguero(At.Madrid) 29m(Totally worth it icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif)

Toni Kroos(B.Munchen) 80k

Adrien(Sporting) 1.1m

Matias Fernandez(Villarreal) 8.5m

Niklas Barkrot(IFK) 35k

Micah Richards(Man City) 25.5m

Sold(£):

Manuel Almunia(Birmingham) 2.2m

Abou Diaby(Sevilla) 5.25m and sell-on clause of 50%

Gilberto Silva(Fiorentina) 7.75m

Vincent Van den Berg(Huddersfield) 150k

Rui Fonte(Walsall) 65k

Tomas Rosicky(AC Milan) 12.5m(Could have got more)

Vito Mannone(Le Havre, my new affiliated club icon_smile.gif) loan

Alexandre Song(Bordeaux) loan

Nacer Barazite(Metz) loan

Armand Traore(Everton) loan

Justin Hoyte(Man City) loan

Lassana Diarra(Porto) loan

Nicklas Bendtner(Espanyol) loan

I play an offensive 4-4-2 with forward runs on the fullbacks. Defensive arrow on one cm, and aml and amr in stead of ml and mr.

I'm leading the premiership on goal difference with everton. Man u lies two points behind everton, and then comes aston villa, bolton and liverpool. Chelsea on 10th.

It's without beta patch(waiting for final)

allright this game is incredibly frustrating. i hope all these problems with the defense which are fixed by the patch, because my defense just sucks rotten anus covered in what you thought was candy but instead was aids. plus it can't be my tactic because that won my trebles galore and 61 games unbeaten in fm 07, of course i'll give incrediblehulk's tactics a try see if that's it. otherwise i'm off the stuff until the patch is out.

Started a game as Arsenal.

I have got them playing fantastic short flowing football but my defence seem unable to mark. Any ideas?

Kolo + Gallas should be good enough so i don't think they are the problem. They gifted Liverpool a 2-1 win as despite being on zonal marking, they both were standing on Torres which gave Benayoun an incredibly easy goal.

Updates:

Transfers In:

Alexandr Kerzhakov - 7.25m

Funji Ojo - 650k

Alex Silva - 2m - 1.7.2008

Lulinha - 2.8m - 1.7.2008

Looking at Oier Olazabal and possibly a new CB and LM.

End of Season Review 2008/09

Squad

11032007125805on1.th.jpg

Team Competitions

Club World Championship - Won - Vs Boca 4-0

Champions League - Won - Vs AC Milan 4-0

Euro Super Cup - Won - Vs Sporting 2-1

Premiership 1st

FA Cup - Won - Chelsea 4-0

League Cup - Won - Chelsea 3-1

Charity Shield - Won - Man Utd 2-1

Awards

English Footballer of the Year - M.Fernández

English Premiership Top Goalscorer - S.Aguero 29 goals in 32 games

English Players Player of the Year - R. van Persie

English Players Young Player of the Year - Adrien (2nd year running)

English Premiership Manager of the Year - R.Martin

English Players Team of Year : Sagna, Senderos, Fernández, Fábregas, Aguero, RVP

Champions League Best Player - M.Fernández

Champions League Best Goal - M.Fernández

Champions League Dream Team : Lloris, Sagna, Traoré, Senderos, Samba, Fernández, Fábregas, RVP (whole defence \o/)

Team Stats

Games : 67

Scored : 205

Conceded : 56

Yellow Cards : 63 icon_frown.gif

Red Cards : 2

Average Attendance : 59,947

Top Scorer : M Fernández 54

Most Assists : M.Fernández 29

Man Of Match : M.Fernández 21

Yellow Cards : Fábregas 13 (again ffs icon_biggrin.gif)

Average Rating : M.Fernández (shocker)

Best Goalkeeper : H.Lloris 25 Clean Sheets in 61 Games

Best Defender : P.Senderos (haven't got a clue why people get rid of him tbh)

Best Midfielder : M.Fernández ofc

Best Striker : S.Aguero 40 goals in the 2nd half of the season made him a great signing

Most likely gonna get rid of

Hoyte - Crap

Flamini - Have enough MCs

Song - Have enough MCs

Denilson - Have enough MCs & His attitude ****es me off

Defoe - Way down the pecking order for strikers

RVP - Only if i get a biggish offer as Walcott is starting to show his potential

SO my valencia game got corrupted and I made a new one with the Gunners. Is nordveit any good? For a CB , his marking's atrocious but maybe his stats are random. I got alex of vasco and guy asulin coming in Jan for 5 million combined. Getting rid of rosicky and hleb soon since they are worthless tho they do popped in important goals now and then.

Originally posted by Maestroik:

SO my valencia game got corrupted and I made a new one with the Gunners. Is nordveit any good? For a CB , his marking's atrocious but maybe his stats are random. I got alex of vasco and guy asulin coming in Jan for 5 million combined. Getting rid of rosicky and hleb soon since they are worthless tho they do popped in important goals now and then.

Worthless? Must be your tactics if they aren't performing. You can't exactly expect them to be scoring a goal a game either tbf

Originally posted by aussiegooner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Suggestions needed: go go go!

hey Knoc icon_wink.gif

Aguero ftw then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was the first thought that came into my head, but I don't really want to spend a huge amount on one player in my first season. Still can't decide whether to play the 29.5m or not.

Is Podolski any good? I could probably get him for less than 10m, so if he's decent I'd rather do that.

fatcake - it probably IS actually your tactics, I had a formation from FM07 that literally won me a clean sweep of every single trophy on about 5 occaisions - it didnt work on FM08, u need to alter and tweak it i think. most likely suggestion i.m.o good luck

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

End of Season Review 2008/09

Squad

11032007125805on1.th.jpg

Team Competitions

Club World Championship - Won - Vs Boca 4-0

Champions League - Won - Vs AC Milan 4-0

Euro Super Cup - Won - Vs Sporting 2-1

Premiership 1st

FA Cup - Won - Chelsea 4-0

League Cup - Won - Chelsea 3-1

Charity Shield - Won - Man Utd 2-1

Awards

English Footballer of the Year - M.Fernández

English Premiership Top Goalscorer - S.Aguero 29 goals in 32 games

English Players Player of the Year - R. van Persie

English Players Young Player of the Year - Adrien (2nd year running)

English Premiership Manager of the Year - R.Martin

English Players Team of Year : Sagna, Senderos, Fernández, Fábregas, Aguero, RVP

Champions League Best Player - M.Fernández

Champions League Best Goal - M.Fernández

Champions League Dream Team : Lloris, Sagna, Traoré, Senderos, Samba, Fernández, Fábregas, RVP (whole defence \o/)

Team Stats

Scored : 205

Conceded : 56

Yellow Cards : 63 icon_frown.gif

Average Attendance : 59,947

Top Scorer : M Fernández 54

Most Assists : M.Fernández 29

Man Of Match : M.Fernández 21

Yellow Cards : Fábregas 13 (again ffs icon_biggrin.gif)

Average Rating : M.Fernández (shocker)

Best Goalkeeper : H.Lloris 25 Clean Sheets in 61 Games

Best Defender : P.Senderos (haven't got a clue why people get rid of him tbh)

Best Midfielder : M.Fernández ofc

Best Striker : S.Aguero 40 goals in the 2nd half of the season made him a great signing

Most likely gonna get rid of

Hoyte - Crap

Flamini - Have enough MCs

Song - Have enough MCs

Denilson - Have enough MCs & His attitude ****es me off

Defoe - Way down the pecking order for strikers

RVP - Only if i get a biggish offer as Walcott is starting to show his potential

BB you know in your game that manager of the year was R.Martin. Is that you because if so is your first name by any chance ross. Because my names Ross Martin.

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glory utd:

BB's first name isnt Ross.

indeed it isn't

and it thankfully isn't Ricky \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or Aston.

End Of 1st Season ReviewEnd Of 1st Season Review

Squad Squad - <A HREF=A>

Team Competitions Team Competitions

Champions League - Won - Vs Barca 5-3

Premiership 1st

FA Cup - Lost - Chelsea 3-1 AET

League Cup - Won - Chelsea 2-0

Team Stats Team Stats

Scored : 130

Conceded : 47

Yellow Cards : 70 Frown

Average Attendance : 58,961

Top Scorer : van Persie 38

Most Assists : van Persie 18

Man Of Match : van Persie 13

Yellow Cards : Van der Vaart 14 icon_eek.gif

Average Rating : van Persie (7.33)

Originally posted by mcelroys:

End Of 1st Season ReviewEnd Of 1st Season Review

Squad Squad - <A HREF=A>

Team Competitions Team Competitions

Champions League - Won - Vs Barca 5-3

Premiership 1st

FA Cup - Lost - Chelsea 3-1 AET

League Cup - Won - Chelsea 2-0

Team Stats Team Stats

Scored : 130

Conceded : 47

Yellow Cards : 70 Frown

Average Attendance : 58,961

Top Scorer : van Persie 38

Most Assists : van Persie 18

Man Of Match : van Persie 13

Yellow Cards : Van der Vaart 14 icon_eek.gif

Average Rating : van Persie (7.33)

Messed that up Big time lol,

Shows exactly how much you've played as Arsenal. I could grant you Hleb as he's good for some and terrible for others. But Rosicky is brilliant. Put him LAM, RAM, CAM or CM, he'll perform everywhere for you. That's a 25-30 assists a season man you are getting rid of.

Anyway, I'v started again (5th time ffs ) and I need a pacey forward to play as a target man with a "run onto balls" supply. Much like I played Henry in previus FMs.

Suggestions needed: go go go!

Pandev's quick and about 13M at the start isnt he? Else, you can try Gyan. He's pretty quick as well and will also give you aerial threat. Saviola is probably listed as back-up at Madrid and is quick. I think he's available for 8-9M? Not sure about this at the start of the game though. But he is that cheap after 1 season. Podolski for under 10M? Thats cheap. Not a bad option. Another option is Cesar Delgado. He's VERY cheap, quick, great dribbling, great composure but finishing is a little low. But this guy can still develop and with a little intensive shooting training, his stats for finishing will certainly go up. Great buy imo.

beggining of 1st season - AC bid 15m up front for Gallas - deal or no deal?

Deal!!! I cant seem to get rid of him in my second season. I hate playing him and Toure together because of their height disadvantage. Even if you dont buy a new defender, I'd still rather play Senderos at CB with Toure and have Gallas at LB.

Just thought Juninho missing 5 out of 5 was absurd. I mean, he had 20 for penalty taking and 19 composure. So, if we turn that into some sort of ratio, there's a 1 out of 40 chance that he'd miss.

Not that I'm saying stats are transformed into ration and, thus, probability. But they muss have some similar effect.

I'm in my second season with Arsenal and have been having problems with cesc's in game fitness levels. Around the 60th minute of every game he is already in the mid 70's, the lowest in my team. His stamina and natural fitness are both 16. He is on general training. Has anybody else had this problem or know how to solve it. I am having similar problems with Diaby.

Thanks

I'm in my second season with Arsenal and have been having problems with cesc's in game fitness levels. Around the 60th minute of every game he is already in the mid 70's, the lowest in my team. His stamina and natural fitness are both 16. He is on general training. Has anybody else had this problem or know how to solve it. I am having similar problems with Diaby.

Thanks

Maybe you just have him doing too much. If he's your playmaker your team will be looking to pass to him at all times, so naturally he'll see more of the ball than anyone else.

I had a similar problem but then he will get tired so i suggested just having a replacement (i try and use Adrien or Diaby) and both of those will do the job well enough

By the way, Aguero is bloody incredible this season 18 goals in 18 league games and Ade is really picking them up as well, he is on 15!

Start of Jan Update

Ins

Breno £6.75m

Zapata £20m

Fernandez £10m

Vanden Borre £7.5m

Adrien

Outs

Rosicky £25m

Eboue £5m

1st XI

GK Akinfeev

LB Clichy

RB Vanden Borre

CB Breno

CB Zapata

CDM Denilson

CAM Cesc

LAM Fernandez

RAM Hleb

ST RVP

ST Aguero

Premiership

FA Cup

League Cup

CL

When you consider the League Cup was done with nobody over 18 it was a great sucess.

I cant wait for the Aguero Vela Strike Partnership next season.

Archived