FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

I bought Bodmer for £22M. Didnt like spending that much wonga but he's been worht it so far, got one hell of a shot on him.

I have a question about youngsters - do their stats go up more from playing on loan or staying in the resrvees/youth?

I have Lansbury (who everyone raves about on here) on loan at Hibs where he is a first team starter but hs stats arent that great and dont seem to be getting better. Wilshere is in the U18's and his stats are rocketing up and already look as good as Lansurys. I have a dozen players out on loan - should I be recalling them to get the benefits of my 7 star training?

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by polat_dgn:

guys how is Van Persie performing for you ? Does he score lots? Does he get injured too many ? i want to sign him for my Valencia..patch 8.0.2, first season.

i have aguero, benzema, walcott, reyes & a few other 4-5* strikers, yet van persie is rated the best striker at the club. last match i played, i dropped benzema for rvp and he scored 4.

doesn't really get injured much in my game, if you play him on the right side of attack you can utilize his "cuts inside" ppm. free-kicks are almost like penalties for him too.

Originally posted by Klimowicz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polat_dgn:

guys how is Van Persie performing for you ? Does he score lots? Does he get injured too many ? i want to sign him for my Valencia..patch 8.0.2, first season.

i have aguero, benzema, walcott, reyes & a few other 4-5* strikers, yet van persie is rated the best striker at the club. last match i played, i dropped benzema for rvp and he scored 4.

doesn't really get injured much in my game, if you play him on the right side of attack you can utilize his "cuts inside" ppm. free-kicks are almost like penalties for him too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank you mate, and i know its a bit of silly to ask it here but is he buyable?

Originally posted by polat_dgn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polat_dgn:

doesn't really get injured much in my game, if you play him on the right side of attack you can utilize his "cuts inside" ppm. free-kicks are almost like penalties for him too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank you mate, and i know its a bit of silly to ask it here but is he buyable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't sell him for less than 50mil, but that might just be me being greedy!!!

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

thank you mate, and i know its a bit of silly to ask it here but is he buyable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't sell him for less than 50mil, but that might just be me being greedy!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in my game, i always manage to sell Joaquin to Arsenal for 63m dollars, maybe i could grab Persie for less from them icon_biggrin.gif

How to get the best out of adebayor?? Everyone raves and rants about him on here being amazing but ive yet to be impressed by him a season and a half in..i have 3 basic tactics i use, one i play 4-4-2 target man using bendtner as TM and the other forward running onto flick ons...can adebayor be used effectively as TM? the other two tactics i use just one St with 3Amcs/wingers in support..so how would i best utilise adebayor in these formations?

my other forwards are:

Van persie (who wants to move)

Bendtner (who only really plays away games as target man)

Owen plays well alongside bendtner

Doyle plays best up top on own

eduardo cant get his game

So how do i get the best from adebayor?? cheers oh im on 8.0.1 update

Originally posted by soapysouter:

How to get the best out of adebayor?? Everyone raves and rants about him on here being amazing but ive yet to be impressed by him a season and a half in..i have 3 basic tactics i use, one i play 4-4-2 target man using bendtner as TM and the other forward running onto flick ons...can adebayor be used effectively as TM? the other two tactics i use just one St with 3Amcs/wingers in support..so how would i best utilise adebayor in these formations?

my other forwards are:

Van persie (who wants to move)

Bendtner (who only really plays away games as target man)

Owen plays well alongside bendtner

Doyle plays best up top on own

eduardo cant get his game

So how do i get the best from adebayor?? cheers oh im on 8.0.1 update

I'm on 8.02 so he may have been improved for this version, but he's a goal-a-gamne merchant on mine and averages 7.6 over a season and a half.

I play 4-3-3 normal with the standard tactics, with a slightly more attacking mentality, Ive not done anything else with the tactical settings, and he's not set as target man.

First season i bought menez , nasri,arfa. Now just finished second season i havent seen an inprovent in them execpt nasri, they all play regular but stats seem the same and price does also,i feel like selling and replace i recntly signed kompany he is ok, maybe its the patch cos these players were fantastic before i got the patch, and i dont think it tactics ive download and tried, can anyone give any help, thanks Smile

Originally posted by Burty76:

I have Lansbury (who everyone raves about on here) on loan at Hibs where he is a first team starter but hs stats arent that great and dont seem to be getting better. Wilshere is in the U18's and his stats are rocketing up and already look as good as Lansurys. I have a dozen players out on loan - should I be recalling them to get the benefits of my 7 star training?

Personally I find Lansbury ends up a decent backup. Wilkshire usually becomes a star (although not till 5-6 years in)

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

Jens Lehmann

Quaresma for 29M is WAYYYYY over-priced dude. Forget him. Get Silva. For 31M the lad is well worth it.

you think ?? ok ill take ur advice i heard united or liverpool bid 20 for him last week any truth in it ??

Just a small update - but your advice has been a lifesaver theincrediblehulk!

I have to stop playing for a few days to grade this stack of papers and exams, but playing Kimz's tactic has really turned my team around. Maybe now I'll get to keep my job icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reverse engineering the tactic to see where I was going wrong (I've already learned quite a bit about spacing from it). That should then allow me to work on devising tactics of my own to fit the exact players I've got.

Anyway, thanks again!

guys i managed to sign Persie for 15m at the start of the first season on 8.0.2 . My lord, what a player icon_biggrin.gif, hattrick and one assist in his debut! All 3 goals were class! i think he is definately in the same level with other best strikers like Aguero, Villa, Benzema in the game.. And no need to mention his freekicks are like penalties for him..

Jens Lehmann

Seeing as I usually get him for 11-14M, that IS a lot of money mate. And I'll refrain from answering the other part as real life stuff is not allowed to be discussed on here. We've already been warned plenty by the mods!! icon_smile.gif

Mangey

Good to see its working out for you mate. icon_smile.gif

polat_dgn

Yep, Van Persie IS awesome. I keep telling everyone that he's one of the best on the game. You got him for Valencia didnt you? I can only imagine what he and Villa must be doing together!! One thing about him - make sure you treat him right. And get on his favoured personnel list ASAP. If he gets unhappy, he'll drive you mad by missing a LOT of training.

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

polat_dgn

Yep, Van Persie IS awesome. I keep telling everyone that he's one of the best on the game. You got him for Valencia didnt you? I can only imagine what he and Villa must be doing together!! One thing about him - make sure you treat him right. And get on his favoured personnel list ASAP. If he gets unhappy, he'll drive you mad by missing a LOT of training.

oops, sorry mate, i have sold Villa icon_smile.gif i play Van Persie upfront as lone striker with Silva, Diego and Nihat/Palacio behind and he performs immensely ! In my previous game, Huntelaar did really dissapointed me at that position icon_frown.gif But Persie looks amazing so far! Now i will only pray he doesnt get injured..

i agree, get RVP to stay and it will be well worth it. I have him and Adebayor up front on a 4-4-2 and it seems to be working. Has anyone played him on the wing with Adebayor and Eduardo up front? btw i cant seem to get the most out of Cesc, hes got amazing stats for a 20 yr-old, but all he can muster is 9 assists during the first season, any suggestions? thanks.

Its transfer window again and im planning on getting Bodmer, Garay and Lulinha. icon_smile.gif

patootie

Yep, played RVP on the wings quite a bit. He's phenomenol there too. If I'm losing a game, what I usually do is put RVP on the left wing, bring on Walcott on the right and have them both deliver crosses in from the byline. I put Adebayor and Bendtner upfront with Flamini playing as AMC with a forward arrow between the 2 ST's. They always seem to get themselves a goal doing that! If that's not working well, I bring on Eduardo as the AMC instead of Flamini. Usually create havoc! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and forget Garay. You can do better than him easily. icon_smile.gif

Just finished my first season on the new save.

Won the quad and was pretty pleased with it as I didnt have it easy in any of the competitions (bar the league I guess). Went unbeaten in all competitions to boot! icon_smile.gif

Player Stats

My best players were Adebayor and Van Persie once again. A special mention to Walcott who has been phenomenol for me. He's gonna be getting a lot more games next year.

Some awards:

English Footballer of the Year

1. Robin Van Persie

2. Emmanuel Adebayor

3. Tomas Rosicky

English Premier Division Top Goalscorer

1. Robin Van Persie

2. Emmanuel Adebayor

English Player's Young Player of the Year

1. Francesc Fabregas

3. Theo Walcott

Players Team of the Year

GK - Frey

LB - Clichy

CB - Toure

CB - Gallas

ML - Rosicky

MR - Hleb

MC - Fabregas

ST - Van Persie

ST - Adebayor

European Champions Cup Golden Boot

1. Emmanuel Adebayor

European Champions Cup Best Player

1. Emmanuel Adebayor

2. Robin Van Persie

European Champions Cup Dream Team

RB - Bakary Sagna

CB - Kolo Toure

MR - Aliaksandr Hleb

ST - Robin Van Persie

ST - Emmanuel Adebayor

World Footballer of the Year

1. Emmanuel Adebayor

3. Francesc Fabregas

Its on to season 2 for me now. Am looking to make a few changes to my squad. Gallas will be certainly leaving. Djourou isnt looking all that good on my game atm so I might be looking to get another CB into the squad. Also, his determination is only 11 and I DETEST players with such low determination. Thinking about Breno or Mexes if I can get him cheapish. Eboue will certainly be leaving. Not decided who I'll bring in at RB though. Wanted someone English but nobody looks good enough sadly except Micah who'll be expensive. Might still get him and have him double up at RB and CB. Going to sell Hleb and Flamini both. They've both been very good this season, but due to their real life antics, I couldnt be bothered having them around anymore. Eduardo will be moving on as well. He's got goals but has been unimpressive most of the times. Most of the time he gets me goals when I'm already winning comfortably. Stays uninvolved in games for too long most of the time. I'm gonna go all out trying to get Rooney into the squad. Willing to go upto 60M for him. Usually, I HATE splashing that kind of cash on any 1 player but since I was some English players in the team, I guess I'll have to. Gerrard is another possibility and I might go in for him if he's cheaper. Giles Barnes is another target but with Walcott having done so well on the right wing, I'm not sure if I should get another young right winger in. I think I might need someone with a little more class. Dont say Bentley. I dislike the ungrateful t**t. Will see if I can get Ben Foster as well. I'll sell Fabianski if I do get him.

Will keep you updated. Comments/suggestions welcome as always.

theincrediblehulk

Id give Djourou a few more years TBH, or at least one more season. Many people have had sucess with him, and i dont reckon you can judge him too well after 1 season.

For RB you could get Onouha, because he can play CB aswell, and has always played really well for my England team. Theres another player who can play DRC aswell, but i cant remember him ATM im afraid.

Areyou sure about Rooney? £60mil is ALOT of money, and you already have Walcott, Adebayor, Bendtner, and van Persie. With RVP and Ade doing so well for you, dont you think it would be smarter to get a player like James Vaughan, who is very good but will only cost in the region of £15mil.

Gerrard is another matter. Although you have Wilshere and Lansbury in the academy, Gerrard is a phenomenal player, and will be a star for any team. Saying that, I reckon that you will have to pay about £40mil for him, which is again alot.

Giles Barnes wouldnt cost a lot, and is a good player, starter or back up, He would be around £8mil, so I would give him a chance.

Foster is one of the best keepers on the game, but IMO you should keep Fabianski even if you do get Foster. Did Foster get a new Man Utd contract? Back to Fabianski, I got £15mil for him after 2 seasons, but could only get about £10mil end of season 1. Hes happy-ish being back up, too!

If im being totally honest, I reckon your real-life opinions are influencing your game play a little too much. Flamini and Hleb arent too good on the game, so i dont blame you for selling them.... Despite this, Bentley is very good on the wing, so i would re-consider him. Plus, i reckon Arsene could sign him if Hleb goes!

As your going English, a very good RM for the future is Danny Welbeck. Honestly, he can turn out world class, and if you havent already got him then you should definitly give him a chance.

Hope this helps a littleicon_smile.gif

I'm currently using my own tactic.

It's been great with Arsenal but I'm gonna test it with a few more clubs and if it works half as well, I'm gonna put it up for download.

Currently in season 3 and on an 103 game unbeaten run in all comps icon_wink.gif

Remalap

that formation looks pretty good, hopefully it'll work for you icon_smile.gif

Do you use Hoyte regularly? I loaned him out on my game and he looks pretty solid tbh icon_smile.gif

How has Barnes developed? I got him for £4mill at the start of season 2, he looks pretty promising icon_smile.gif

Ville Valo

Hoyte has been great for me. His much-discussed low PA means that he doesn't develop much further than his level at the end of season 2, but he's rarely had a bad game for me, and got an average of 7.35 last season compared to Sagna's 7.27. And he's English!

Barnes is much the same as Hoyte (and pretty much every other young English player unfortunately) in the way that he's not developed far at all. He's been performing well for me, but only as a backup. Saying that, he did score a last-minute winner for me in the Champions League final the other season so I don't care!

Originally posted by Remalap:

Ville Valo

Hoyte has been great for me. His much-discussed low PA means that he doesn't develop much further than his level at the end of season 2, but he's rarely had a bad game for me, and got an average of 7.35 last season compared to Sagna's 7.27. And he's English!

How many games do you give him compared to Sagna?

Barnes is much the same as Hoyte (and pretty much every other young English player unfortunately) in the way that he's not developed far at all. He's been performing well for me, but only as a backup. Saying that, he did score a last-minute winner for me in the Champions League final the other season so I don't care!

SPOILER He's a -9 PA iirc, so he should improve a fair biticon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Ville Valo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Remalap:

Ville Valo

How many games do you give him compared to Sagna?

SPOILER He's a -9 PA iirc, so he should improve a fair biticon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK I'll admit, due to the African Nations Cup and Hoyte's general great performances, Sagna played 17 less games.

Barnes may have a PA of -9, but am I assuming correctly that his low Determination would have an effect on how likely he is to fulfil it? If not, I guess I got the Barnes with the lower part of the -9.

Haha, oh yeah. Duh! I meant injury. Someone declared interest in Touré so it was a slight Freudian slip!

Anyway, I've decided to finally flex my financial muscles and slightly sell out from my all-English transfer philosophy. Sergio Ramos for £31m and trying for Pato (unsettled at Milan).

No Pato icon_frown.gif Milan just don't want to sell him. I'll just keep chatting him up and wait a year for his contract to start running out!

Instead, I got Messi icon_smile.gif God bless his £38m release fee.

My plotting for a new formation has grown into this monster:

209ozm1.jpg

Update July 2010:

Basically I won the Premiership and Champions League last year. That's 3 Premierships in a row and my first Champions League win.

Silva had 20 assists.

Adebayor had 31 goals.

Fabregas had an average rating 7.61

My entire back 4 and Goalkeeper was in the Euro Team of the league among others.

Here's my team .

Please criticise in areas you feel need building up and give me advice. I've got what I would call unlimited funds :D.

My formation incase you were wondering is this.

It's my version of the Brazilian Box.

It's the World Cup at the moment in my game. I'm yet to receive an internation job.

arsenal_2111

Yeah, I might send Djourou back out on loan. I've got Ajax set up as my feeder club so I can send him there again where he'll get first class training and will be a first team regular. But unfortunately, his determination wont go up unless he gets tutored by someone and I dont think he can be tutored anymore! I've always liked him and always keep him in my side where he becomes as important memeber. But I think this time his PA must be very low because he just doesnt seem to be progressing at all. But I'll give him 1 more year anyway.

I was looking at Onuoha but he doesnt look that good on my game although he has loads of pace. I'm more interested in Danny Simpson though but dont know if Man Utd will sell him to me!

Yep, I'm pretty sure about Rooney. Walcott is not a striker for me. He's going great guns on the right wing so that's where he'll stay. Vela will be coming back next season but might be going back out on loan. He seems to have developed well but I'll send him to Ajax where he can become even better (will wait until KJH leaves though). Vaughan I've always liked but I'm not sure about him. He's available for 17M and nothing less and I think thats too much for him. I know 60M is a lot for Rooney as well but (a) I've never had him before, (b) He's the only English world-class striker around bar Owen (who's too old), and © I've never spend more than 35-40M on a player IIRC, so its a break away from tradition! icon_biggrin.gif

I actually forget to post in my summary - I cant get Gerrard anymore because around Feb/March, I negotiated a 26M deal bringing Jeremy Toulalan to Arsenal! Definitely have enough for the CM position now. icon_smile.gif

Barnes I'll get because Derby got relegated and I think I can get him for 5-6M.

Foster will give me another English option in my side so thats the only reason I want him tbh. Also, if I get him it'll push Man Utd into buying a new, world-class GK and that's good because it makes the game a little more competitive (although my stealing Rooney from them wont help! icon_biggrin.gif).

Actually, Flamini has become awesome on my game. I edited him PA to 177 at the start and he's become the one of the best DM's on the game. I'll try my best to sell him to AC Milan if possible. They are interested atm but lets see how much they offer for him. I'll sell him to them if they're within 5M of the highest bidder. Hleb is actually VERY good on the game mate. If you play him right, he runs riot down the right wing. Put his long shots at "rarely" and he usually does the business for me. Worth almost 15M after 1 season in my game!

Yeah, my real life opinions are influencing my decisions I guess. But then again, if I was Arsenal manager IRL and I didnt like a player, I would obviously not be signing him. I dont appreciate what Bentley has said about Wenger and Arsenal since leaving. So he's never going to play for me at Arsenal (different issue if its another save though). Just did a scout report on him and they quote him at 25-27M. He's definitely out now I reckon!

Didnt know Welbeck becomes a good winger. Thanx for that. He looks poo on my game atm but I'll see how much Man Utd want for him. Might get him if he's cheap and I have cash left over.

I'm not all that bothered about the money I get for players I sell tbh. I wont sell them dirt cheap but dont need a great price for the ones I want out. I know I'll get crazy money with Arsenal so its never a big deal. I previous saves, I've got near 200M as my budget and not even touched it!

I'm still not certain about what I do though. I might change my mind if I can find some nice English regens who look like they'll amount to something. Might not get Rooney at all and give Murphy a run in the team. Lots of decisions atm!

Ville Valo

I played him upfront mostly with Adebayor mate. Thats where he got all his goals from anyway. But many times, if I was losing a game, I used to switch him to the left wing and put Walcot on the right wing and had them with arrows going all the way up top and delivering crosses from the byline into the centre. Put Adebayor and Bendtner upfront and then used to generally get me a goal or two. Along with that, I put Flamini at AMC with a foward arrow to ST with lots of FR's. That combination usually caused havoc in the opposition's defence. RVP got a fair few assists like that. And ofcourse, he got some from corners as well.

Would like to point out a couple things about my save:

1. I didnt exploit the corner "bug". I've decided to do without it from now. It becomes too easy otherwise. I DO however have it set up my own way. Just like IRL, I have a smaller player on "challenge GK" who's bascially there to distract him. I DO have Sagna on "attack near post" (what he does IRL for Arsenal). The 2 CB's and the TM (Ade/Bendtner) are on "attack ball from deep" and 1 of them on "attack far post". And sometimes I also have someone just "stand on far post" (not all the time though). Then there is usually 1 player on "outside the area". I figure that's the way it'd be set up IRL.

2. I'm not using the well known "1 ST upfront" bug against Chelsea. Becomes too easy to beat them and it shouldnt be. Its a pain in the ar*e IRL and thats how it should be on the game. icon_smile.gif

theincrediblehulk

Welbeck is a very good player wether you want him on the wing or upfront.

Im in 2020 ATM, and will get you a screenshot of him.

Hes about 31 though, and his stats have started to drop a little, so he isnt quite as good.

Screenie ASAP, scoffing cola bottles ATM!

Originally posted by louis118:

What instrucutions do you guys give to your strikers to improve their finishing?

I reccommend downloading Kimz tactic from the tactic forum, and see what instructions the striker on there has.

If you still have Adebayor, or even Bendtner, then your almost guaranteed 40 goals in a season(not including injuries)

arsenal_2111

Thanx mate. The screenie would be very helpful! icon_smile.gif If its not much of a hassle, can you dig one up for Bartley and Nathan Delfouneso (the Aston Villa youngster) as well?Thanx a lot.

louis118

It really depends on the striker and what his stats are like tbh. But typically, I would always have forward runs on "often", through balls on "mixed" and cross balls on "rarely". As for run with ball and long shots, it depends on how good the striker is at dribbling and long shots really. If dribbling is 16 and above, I have run with ball on "often". If its 14-15, I have it on "mixed". Less than that, its mostly "rarely". Long shots, if they are 18 and above, then I have it on "often", if they are between 13-17, I have it on "mixed" and less than that on "rarely".

Just play round with them a little and you'll find the balance eventually. icon14.gif

Shirebrook Town FC

Hi there mate. And welcome to the forums. icon_smile.gif

Have you downloaded the latest patch yet? If not, I suggest that's the first thing you do before starting a new game as it will give you all the latest January transfer updates on it. Here's a link to them:

Latest Patch

Once you've downloaded and installed that, I guess you're ready to begin you game.

Arsenal have a VERY strong team on the latest patch. You dont need a lot of additions to it tbh. But there are a few areas that are lacking. I wont go into much details but I'll give you a brief highlight I guess:

Invest in

1. A first-choice GK - Lehmann is good backup for 1 season but dont renew his contract. Just let it run out in season 2. Fabianski becomes good and can be loaned out for 1 season to a club where he'll get first team football. Make sure you have the "recall" option in case you have a GK crisis. To fill the position get any of:

- Sebastien Frey (world-class and as good as Buffon, Cech and Casillas imo. Will cost you between 16-20M. Well worth it)

- Hugo Lloris (becomes world-class after a couple seasons. Young as well. Will cost you about 10M. Worth it as well)

- Manuel Neuer (becomes class as well and is young. Will cost you 6M but price goes up quick. Not good enough to start for a top club straight away imo. Some stats are not developed enough)

- Igor Akinfeev (good to start and becomes better. Will cost about 20M for which I dont think he's worth it though. Rather get Frey)

My personal recommendation is Sebastien Frey.

2. A new CB - Toure is world-class. Gallas is very good but ageing. I tend to sell him in first season itself but it can make a few players unhappy so watch out. You'll need to replace him with another quality CB. Even if you dont sell him, get another CB anyway. You'll need him. Some choices:

- Philippe Mexes (phenomenol but will cost you about 28M. Decent price for him but since you need to invest elsewhere in season 1, not the most feasible option)

- Andrea Barzagli (class and will cost you only 12M or so. He'll attract a lot of interest so get him quick and to ensure he joins, offer him "key player" status a couple of grand more in salary than what he asks)

- Nicolas Burdisso (very under-rated at Inter but is great. He was one of my best players in an earlier save. Will cost you only 10M at the start and is a bargain for that)

- Per Mertesacker (youngish and quality again. Will cost about 15M at the start but gets expensive soon. Good price for him)

My personal recommendation is Barzagli or Burdisso.

3. A versatile winger - You dont really have an out-and-out winger at the club unfortunately. This can be a problem if you like playing with wingers. I suggest getting a versatile one anyway to bolster your options. Some choices:

- Hatem Ben Arfa (if you can get him for about 15M. But he usually costs more)

- Jeremy Menez (very good and becomes better. Versatile as hell. About 10M)

- Alessandro Rosina (one of the best right wingers on the game imo. Will cost a tidy 20M+ though)

- Matias Fernandez (an FM legend. Costs about 10M and will win you plenty of matches. Highly recommended)

- Marcelo (Real Madrid. Has a release clause of 5.5M. He's a natural LB but is MUCH better on the left wing. Quality player, very young and its a great, great deal for him)

- Ricardo Quaresma (good player but never done well for me. People love him though. Costs about 11M or so and might be worth it)

Personal recommendation is Matias Fernandez.

The rest of the areas you're fine in. Those 3 do need to be bolstered though.

Players to sell

- Gilberto Silva (getting old and you wont be able to get anything close to decent money for him after this year. Could get upto 10M now and is a good price for him)

- Phillipe Senderos (terrible. Sell him for his value which is about 5M I think. Doubt you'll get more than that)

- Manuel Almunia (good but you'll get Man City enquiring about him. Sell him for anything between 7-11M)

- Abou Diaby (you have plenty of better options in the midfield even though he is a good player. Try to get 20M over 24months + 50% sell on which is possible sometimes)

Along with them, if you can sell Hoyte, Song, Mannone, then do so as you wont be needing them. Prices are hard to predict. Face value for Hoyte, about 5M for Song.

Youngsters NEVER to sell

- Armand Traore (THE best young LB on the game. Good enough to rotate with Clichy in season 1 too)

- Henri Lansbury (takes a while but he becomes class after a few seasons)

- Jack Wilshere (same as above)

- Havard Nordtveit (becomes world-class)

- Carlos Vela (one of the best young strikers on the game along with Bojan, Pato)

- Niklas Bendtner (the best young TM on the game bar none)

Some youngsters you should look to bring in while they're cheap

- Mamadou Sakho

- Hanri Saivet

- Aquino

- Lubos Kalouda

- Abdou Razack Traore

- Martin Galvan (wont arrive till like 2010-11 or something though!)

- Alexandr Prudnikov (can become awesome)

- John Fleck

There are plenty of others around but I usually always snap those ones up.

Lastly, start re-training Walcott to the right wing from the start itself. He never really cuts it as a striker but becomes awesome of the right wing. A great super-sub in season 1 as well.

Hope this helps.

Firstly, let me say what a pleasure it is to be involved with this thread, everyone is so helpful and friendly. Big ups to you all.

Second, Hulk, how do you manage to get Saivet at the start? In the countless number of games I have started, I always try to get him day one, and he always rejects my contract in favour of remaining where he is. With everyone else always seeming to land him, I’m starting to get a complex that he just doesn’t like me (surely it can’t be my tactics icon_wink.gif ).

Thirdly, why does no-one seem to bother with Craig Gordon anymore on 8.0.2? In my last Arsenal save (and I will be doing the same on my new one....compulsive re-starter!) how I addressed my ‘keeper probs was to sell Almunia to Man City, and buy Neuer. Then I just rotated Lehman and Neuer in season one. Worked fine. Then start season 2 I snapped up Gordon for about 15mil. Then I let Lehman go, and had Gordon first choice, Neuer back-up/cup games. They were phenomenal, and can’t recommend Gordon highly enough, so solid, and a Scot which is a bonus!

dzstone

To get Saivet, just offer him a role as backup and whatever money he asks for, just give him about a 100 quid more. He'll come to you easy.

As for Gordon, he's still very good no doubt. But people probably dont go in for him anymore because at the start of the game, he costs you upwards of 20M and you can pick up Neuer or Lloris much cheaper. Heck, you can pick up Frey for less than that and he's world class! And most people starting as Arsenal tend to buy a GK in the first season itself. But yeah, he's a good GK no doubt and if available cheap, he's a good buy. I wouldnt pay more than the 15M you paid for him though.

Just finished first season with arsenal, after taking charge of them in 2010 season. (8.01 patch)

Won the league & Euro cup, semis of the league cup, but only the 3rd of fa cup.

Start of season 4 - transfer kitty of £43M & £400K under wage budget, I think i need a World class CB as Toure as getting on a bit, and i dont think Nordtveit is quite ready - i was thinking maybe Micah Richards for CB?

Squad:

GK: Akinfeev, Fabianski

LB: Clichy, Traore

CB: Djourou, Nordtveit

CB: Touree, Felipe

RB: Eboue, Zuiverloon

CM: Fabregas, Mikel

CM: Veloso, Sunny

LM: Silva, Sergio Mota

AM: Vela, Bodmar, D.Le tallec

RM: Rosina, Hleb

ST: Adebayor, Bendtner, Walcott, Murphy

I play a 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMs supporting the lone striker, Ive been trying to get Messi for the RW but he wont sign and has just signed a new contract with barca & now his release clause is £156M.

Not sure what to do with Adebayor as he wants a new challenge and wont sign a new contract - but has two years left on his exsiting one, Dont really want to sell as he has been scoring for fun, but if i do sell - maybe Cavani for replacement?

And maybe a replacement for Hleb as hes 30 now iirc, altough he did play well last season when he came into the team when Rosina was injured/suspended, Messi i wanted but thats a no-go, I was thinking maybe Ausslin (sp) starts of in barcas youth team.

Other than that pretty happy with the squad, apart from Gallas ,whos now 34 his stats are decresing fast, has 2 years left on his contact and is on £95K per week, Wenger must of gave hime a massive contract before he went to Milan.

Yep so and advice on the squad apprecated, & Would Richards be a good replacmet for toure?

Thanks for reading.

lfc25

Surprising Nordtveit is not ready yet. He's usually good enough by the end of season 2 and easily a starter in season 3.

Anyway, to replace Toure, I'd go for someone a bit more experienced that Micah tbh. Look at Raul Albiol or Per Mertesacker. Both quality. You have Bodmer is your squad. Dont hesitate to put him at CB as he's quality there too.

I'd suggest getting rid of Eboue if you can. That is, if you think you can get a good price for him. Shame that Sagna left. He is quality. If you can get rid of Eboue for a decent price, then try to Micah Richards. He and Zuiverloon can cover RB for you.

Will Mikel attract a good price? If he will, then flog him off. Again, Bodmer is great at CM. Else, start drafting Henri Lansbury in.

To replace Hleb, maybe look at Belluschi? Guy Assulin does turn out quality though. If you can get him cheap, then do so. Also look at Iago from Barcelona as well. He too turns out brilliant.

On the previous patch, Adebayor is not all that great (although still very good). You have a ready-made replacement for him in Bendtner. I'd look to get someone like Aguero or Briand into the squad. With their pace, they rip defences apart.

Terminate Gallas's contract if you have to. You'll have to pay upfront but atleast you'll save some fee. Try to offer him out for no money. You might lucky and someone might buy him. Else, try to offer him a new contract with lesser money.

theincrediblehulk - Thanks for reply & advice,

With Nordtveit - his stats are good, I have used him in league cup & euro cup games last season, but i dont think he is quite ready to replace toure just yet, altough good back up.

With Bodmar - i did not know he could perform as a CB - which is good, altough he is now 28 in my asrenal game - he is just awesome - i sometimes rotate him with Fabegas as well as Vela in AMC.

Raul Albiol is now at Inter & Mertesacker at Milan - they wont sell, Altough AC did want Fabregas & £17M for Mertesacker lol. Do you have any other suggestions for CB

(also do you think Miceh Richards is better suited to RB?)

Mikel done ok last season as back-up for Fabregas - but now is starting to moan as he wants to be 1st team member - his value is £11M so i think i will sell him, thanks.

I sold Denilson (altough i wanted to keep him as back up for fab) the reason why i sold him - cause his contract was running out altough he accepted my contract offer - his WP got refused, so i sold him to Betis for £0 with 50% sell on and buy back price of £20K (do you think hes worth getting back)

Assulin has a £17M release cluase so not to sure, Iago - i thought he could only play LM or LAM? - i did try and get him last season - but he rejected - he is now at Deportivo iirc.

What about Dos santos from barca - can he do a job RM?

Adebayor is ace on 8.01 (i know hes evan better on 8.02) and Bendtner class too, Aguero - im on his Fav personnel - but theres not a chance of me getting him yet - as i was at A.Madrid before i came to arsenal - and i gave hime a new contratct with £200M realease clause and plus he wont come to the EPL yet, Briand - i will have a look at him, or maybe Benzema as he stats look amazing at the min for lyon.

Gallas - ive treid everything - no one wants him, he wont accept a new contarct, he wont terminate his contartct, and the board block it, when i try and release him - due to £10M in compernsation - so i think im stuck with him.

So yep any more advice much appreacted, as there is only 11days left in the transfer market.

Thanks

lfc25

I think you should be fine with CB's atm mate. Toure should be fine for another season or two. Djourou, I presume, has come along well. Felipe is excellent too (that is, if its the Udinese one?). And Nordtveit, when he gets more games, should become very good. On the 8.0.1 patch though, he doesnt become as good as he does on the latest patch.

Other suggestions: see how Patricio Araujo is coming along. He can sometimes become class. Also, check in on Breno as well although he'll probably be at some big club and command a lot of money. Gerard Pique is another option if he's left Man Utd. Maybe even Daniel Agger from Liverpool. Steven Taylor from Newcastle is another option. As for Micah, no I dont think his best position is RB. Infact, I dont like playing him there unless I need to play someone who's good defensively. The way things stand now in your game, he might just be your best bet you know. Get him if he comes at a resonable price. I'd still sell Eboue though.

Mikel - yeah sell him. If his value is 11M, you should be able to get a minimum of 15M for him and possibly a lot more. Denilson is MUCH better than him imo. Get Denilson back asap.

I went a little off-track when I mentioned Iago. Sorry about that. I read Assulin and I've always though of him being better on the left wing so got a little confused. For the right, Belluschi is class like I said. Have a look at Jeremy Menez and Hatem Ben Arfa although in all probability they'll be expensive. Dos Santos is quality on the right. Although IIRC, on the previous patch they have him as a "natural" on the left wing. Maybe you could get David Bentley in? Have a look at Giles Barnes as well. Also, Rafinha and Eduardo Ratinho (who are both supposedly RB's) are both excellent wingers. You might want to have a look at them two as well. Lastly, you could give Walcott a try there. He plays well on the right wing.

I'd highly recommend Briand on the 8.0.1 patch mate. He's terrific on it. I've never been too impressed by Benzema tbh but yeah, he is a brilliant player ofcourse. I think I just expected too much from him.

Gallas - well if you cant do anything, see if you can loan him out. If a club is willing to take him on loan, just let him go even if they dont pay all of his wages. Atleast it saves you some money.

Archived