FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

Anyone who comes to your club before they turn 18 will get an orange HG status.

BTW, I've achieved a quadruple winning team with 25 orange HG players. Arsenal was the only team I could do it with in such short time. Took me 6 years. 1 year more than what I took in FM07.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by PoopyPants:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by merridius:

6-0 win over everton

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif pity i didnt score more.

Awful - you let them get a shot in icon13.gif

icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that in the 90th min i think. when closing down slider was moved left all the way and tackling easy. icon_biggrin.gif

anyhow, my squadlist

micah richards bought for 39million. i couldnt get him unsettled, realised the problem was they kept describing me as mexico boss and "had no idea why i was attending the match"

oh my god,

2-0 up at home in the champions league semi final,

they score in the 88th, no worries.

five minutes extra time added on sweet, guess who scores in the 98th minute. rhys murphy who i sold to chelsea for 3 million plus 50%. really, what kind of ref let's play go on an extra 3 minutes, when i was controlling the ball in both halves, until they managed a counter attack in the 98th minute, i wish there was match fixing in this game then i could report them.

anyways just won the league in march and have an fa cup final against championship side sheffield so double should be ok.

poopypants - go for it, is it an intense last game of the season at old trafford/emirates?

Best First Season Ever!!!

The Premiership

I won it by a point in the end, winning all of the last 12 games.

The Table

The League Cup

Won Swindon, Villa, Portsmouth and Fulham (over two legs) on my way to the final.

When I was at Wembley, Newcastle took the lead in the 1st minute and doubled it in the 8th. Eduardo snatched one back in the 20th minute.

They hardly got the ball in our half for the rest of the game but we just couldn't score. Our 22 shots to their 2 proves this!!!

But, just as I had my head in my hands, Adebayor scores a cracker from the smallest possible angle in the 93rd minute. We'll finish them off in extra time I thought. But no. Adebayor scores a screamer from the edge of the box in the 96th minute. Not bad considering there were only 3 minutes added on icon_wink.gif

League Cup Final

The FA Cup

Beat Hull, Swansea, Chelsea, Man Utd (after a replay) and Portsmouth to the final where I was facing a Man City side featuring Almunia and Hleb.

They took an early lead through Shaun Wright-Phillips in the 17th minute, but from then on it was plain sailing. An Adebayor hatrick (with the goals coming in the 64th, 79th and 87th minutes) meant that even a last minute Elano strike couldn't dampen the mood.

The FA Cup Final

The Champions League

I was placed into a group Anderlecht, Lyon and Lazio after I beat Domzdale 10 - nil on aggregate.

I only finished 2nd in the group though and got drawn against Inter in the 1st knockout round. In the first leg I got beat 2 - 1 and was getting worried. Their defence seemed unbeatable in the 1st leg. But I didn't need to worry as Adebayor and Eduardo both scored 2 each with Van Persie slotting as well.

In the Quarters I got drawn against Roma and I drew 3-3 with them at the 'Olimpico' in Rome before beating them 3-1 at the Emirates.

Semi's next and I got drawn against Barcelona. We kicked off and within seconds (real time) it was their turn as Adebayor scored in the 10th minute. After that he just couldn't stop scoring, bagging 3 more later in the game. Barca just couldn't score - even their goal was an oggy by Kolo Toure. The 2nd leg was a more boring game as we drew 1-1 to send us through to the final.

I can't even begin to explain the final. All I can say is...

Adebayor Is God icon14.gif

The Champions League Final

Transfers

I didn't really sign anyone for more than compensation, as I wanted to give Fabianski and Djourou a chance - and boy did they seize the opportunity icon_biggrin.gif

The Transfers

I have got a few more players coming in as well - some good youngsters and some contract expiries icon14.gif

Future Transfers

The Awards

Champions League Awards

Champions League Best Player

Champions League Golden Boot

Champions League Dream Team

Premiership/English Awards

English Footballer Of The Year

English Players Player Of The Year

English Players Premier Division Select

English Players Young Player Of The Year

English Premier Division Manager Of The Year

English Premier Division Top Goalscorer

My Squad

I mainly played a 4-4-2 formation - but for some Man Utd/Chelsea games I switched to a 4-2-3-1.

This was my main starting line up.

Although I rotated Denilson and Flamini - Eduardo and Bojan - Rosicky got injured so I played Van Persie on the left and Eboue on the right.

And...

Just wanted to show you 2 of my pre-season friendlys icon_wink.gif

Against Puma

Against Sete

I think thats it icon_cool.gif

If you want a screenie of anything else - just ask icon14.gif

OK, this is what I'd do...

- Sell Gallas for as much as possible (usually around 15mil)

- Sign Rafinha and re-train him as a right winger.

- Sign a centre back, someone young and top quality (use up some of that 80million budget icon_wink.gif)

- Sell Almunia for between 10 and 14mil

- Sign a good goalie (one of Kameni, Lloris, Neuer or Frey)

Then your sorted icon14.gif

Also, read up on other people first seasons and stuff through the thread. It really helps icon14.gif

Originally posted by GeorgeCOYR:

Also What Keeper? Either Kameni Or Frey?

I'd go for Frey but he will cost a bit more.

Getting Veloso As My New CB (y)

Yeah, Veloso is quality but I think of him more as a defensive mid and have never tried him at the back tbh

But good luck icon14.gif

Originally posted by GeorgeCOYR:

Guys First Season In Charge Of The Gunners Patch 8.02.

Who Do I Buy?

Weakest Positions?

And Strongest Startin 11? (Minus Any Transfers)

Weakest Positions -

Goalkeeper: Lehmann or Almunia can do okay but Frey would do better. Average price for Frey is £17-20 million.

Right-back: Sorted. Sagna is excellent, and you can either sell Eboue and keep Hoyte, or vice versa. I prefer Hoyte, he does the business when needed (and I don't like Eboue in real life lol). You can also sell both and buy Rafinha for around £10 million, but you really are sorted with the ones you have already.

Left-back: Sorted again. Clichy is class and Traore could become even better then him depending on the PA he's given. But if you fancy another player good enough for Arsenal first-team, then Maxwell is your man. Average price for Maxwell is £12-15 million.

Central Defenders: Sorted (for the first season). Toure and Gallas. Senderos and Djourou as cover. These are good enough to win you all competitions entered. Barzagli if you want him is available for around £15 million. But if I were you, I would put Sergio Ramos on my shortlist and praise him every month and a day and you will become one of his favourite people. Towards the end of the first season, he signs a new contract with Real Madrid, with a minimum release clause of £32 million. At the beginning of the second season you can snap him up, and sell Gallas or Senderos or Djourou. Toure is immense and a good leader, you want to keep him.

Defensive Midfielder: Sorted. Flamini is the best. You also have Gilberto Silva and Denilson. Silva can be sold for £10 million, and Denilson covers well for Flamini and only gets better. Don't sell Flamini, in my second season he now has these impressive attributes -

First touch - 16

Technique - 16

Creativity - 17

Passing - 17

Aggression - 15

Anticipation - 16

Bravery - 18

Composure - 17

Concentration - 18

Decisions - 16

Determination - 17

Influence - 15

Positioning - 18

Tackling - 18

Marking - 15

Teamwork - 20

Workrate - 20

Stamina - 20

Strength - 17

Central Midfielder: Fabregas is immense, if you get the settings right. In my second season he's now got 8 assists in 5 games. Rosicky or Diaby can cover for him okay. Diaby can be sold for £10 million.

Attacking Midfielder Centre: RVP is your man! World Footballer of the year for me in one game, with loads of goals and assists, even though AMC is not his position (he has a 20 for Free Role). Rosicky can cover for him, or if you sold Diaby and have Rosicky as cover for Fabregas, you can sign Van Der Vaart for about £12.5 million or Diego for £ 20 million.

Right Winger: Hleb does the job till you can get a Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo. Walcott is a super sub, and a great player to bring on as sub when you are counter-attacking, and play him as striker in those instances.

Left Winger: Your squad man here is Carlos Vela. Excellent cover for whoever will be your first choice and just gets better. Who will be your first team player? Either RVP (if you decide to sign Van Der Vaart or Diego as AMC), or if you haven't made many buys, and have sold a couple of players for £10 million to add to your transfer budget, then maybe you can afford Silva from Valencia for £60 million. To be honest, RVP is just as effective as Silva in the game, whether at AML or AMC.

Striker: Look no further than Adebayor. He's a monster. Highest scorer in all European leagues in the first season of my new game (in other games I'd sold him thinking he wasnt that good). Eduardo is brilliant as cover. And it is good having a different kind of striker to bring on when things are just not working in a match. Chances are that will make the difference. Also available is Sergio Aguero for around £30 million, but you really do not need him yet. What you can do with Aguero is sign him in place of an AMC like Van Der Vaart.

So basically you need to look at what formation you are mainly going to use, and recognize that you won't be able to afford player "x" if you sign someone like Silva.

Your choice is to make a big signing or two and stick with the squad you already have (which is good enough already), or make 4 or 5 medium-cost signings.

Hope this helps.

This my first 22 in second season, and what the new players cost -

GK Frey (£19.75 mil) / Akinfeev (£27.5 mil)

DR Sagna / Hoyte

DL Clichy / Traore

DC Ramos (£32 mil) / Senderos

DC Toure / Djourou

MC Flamini / Denilson

MC Fabregas / Diaby

AMR/C Hleb / Walcott

AML/C Silva (£60 mil) / Vela

AMC Kaka (£100 mil) / Van Persie

SC Adebayor / Eduardo

just started the second season 6 games into the league and i have 8 wins. i have to say riquelme is a monster in the AMC position and i recommend everyone to buy him just for the first 2 seasons he has 3 league goals and 3 assts from 2 games and 3 champions league goals and 3 assts from 1 game. he could easily keep fabregas or messi out of the AMC position if i didnt keep rotating them. also my second choice defense is causing me problems they are developing far faster than i was expecting them too. i now have 4 centre backs who could be first choice in any team in the world and this does not include my reserves where sakho and nordtveit both developing very very well, for them it is not too much of a problem as i can send them out on loan.

having problems at DM palombo has got upset i have not giving him a a bigger role in the team and he does not get on with flamini who has now become the worlds best. also flamini has said he is upset and wants a new challenge, flam still has 3 years on his contract so he is going nowhere, i was wondering if i give him vice captain do you think he would stay?

below is flamini's stats can he get any better? i think i put his stats at -9 or -10 but i cant remember and im on a mac so i cant see PA's

flaminiln0.jpg

fatcake

Thats hard luck mate. But thats the reason why I try to avoid selling to a rival. Its hard enough when one of their players scores so late in the game. Its just doubly frustrating when he's one who you sold to them!

PoopyPants

Great season there mate. Must be exciting winning the league by just a point! I dont know if you accepted the offer for Toure, but I really hope you didnt. He's a terrific CB and you wont find many better. And Mexico is a lot of fun. And they have a pretty good squad too.

GeorgeCOYR

You've already got a lot of great advise. Only, dont play Veloso at CB unless you have no other choice. I've tried him there before and although he's decent enough, you'll have problems when you come up against good strikers. Would recommend you get someone like Barzagli, Burdisso, Mertesacker. If you DO wish a DM/CB, then I suggest you either go for Palombo or wait until Jan/next season and get Mathieu Bodmer.

Also, I usally reinforce the wings as well. Maybe a versatile winger like Ben Arfa or Menez. Thats because Van Persie is awesome upfront. Between him and Adebayor, you atleast have 1 goal a game almost guaranteed (if not more). But saying that, Eduardo and Bendtner are very good too and Van Persie is great on the wings as well.

You've been given all other advise. But in short, you only need 3 players: 1 GK (to start), 1 CB (2, if you sell Gallas) and 1 versatile winger. You really dont need any other players at Arsenal tbh. Especially not in the middle of the park.

cameron Fordyce

I think you've gone a little over-board with Flamini mate. He's an excellent player IRL but the way his stats have developed, he now looks better than Fabregas. As for your CB's, just rotate them all and give them 25-30 games a season and all will be happy. Thats not a problem. When Sakho/Nordtveit come back from a season long loan, you can plan on selling a couple of your current CB's.

Finally...

The team is starting to perform again.

Had marginal wins before.

Now I'm startig to win by at least 3 goals.

Oh.. the bliss.

Haha...

Still can't understand why I get lesser possession.

Doesn't really matter coz I get convincing wins.

Giving Vela, Saivet and Kroos runs on the first team has been the best thing.

They are such a joy to watch.

Just added Philip Lahm into the squad.

Had to pay big bucks for him, 32.5mil.

I don't really care coz I have 350mil anyways.

Hahaha... icon_razz.gif

He's been getting 7s.

Its not outstanding but he is consistent.

I don't know if I should sell Toure and Barzagli just yet.

I can't imagine a team without them.

They will turn 30 before the 4th season starts.

Should I sell???

dzstone

That is very, very surprising mate. Whenever I've tried to get Bodmer is season 2, he's always been available and he NEVER costs me more than 15M! And whenever he's gone to other teams as well, I've never seen him move for anything more than that 15M. That's only from Lyon though. Any subsequent transfers are much higher.

Just put him on your shortlist and keep checking up on him every week or 2. If he's not even available for 25M, its probably because he's got a "first-team" player status. It'll go down to "rotation" soon enough and then he'll be available for the 15M odd I'm sure.

Have Lyon sold any of Toulalan, Ben Arfa, Kallstrom? If they are all there, then Bodmer should remain a rotation player I'm sure. If one or two of them have been sold, then he'll be a first-team regular and harder to get I guess.

max05

What formation are you playing mate? I had the same problem regarding possession a while ago. But then I slightly tweaked my tactics and it was fine again. For eg, I was play a 4-1-3-2 with a DM, an AML and AMR with arrows to AMC and a CM. I found that I was conceding a LOT of posession to the opposition even though I was winning. I tweaked slight and put my AML/R to ML and MR with bendy arrows going to AMC and my possession was fine again. I think the answer might be loading up the middle of the park.

Lahm - always a good buy but I'm not sure if he's needed at Arsenal tbh. At LB you have Clichy and Traore and at RB you have Sagna. Unless you've sold some of them or intend to play him as a rotation RB that is. And if you want to get the best out of him, have him get forward and cross the ball in. He's great doing that. Might leave you exposed at the back though.

Toure & Barzagli - yes sell them mate. Unless you play them near enough every game, their stats will start to drop and so will their value. You'll still get resonable money for them atm. And I'm sure you have players to step in for them. Even if you dont, with the budget you have you can easily buy to replace them. And there are plenty of great CB's on the game s well.

Is Barbosa good enough as back-up for Fabianski?

I signed him on a free and he looks decent enough

TBH mate, I'd be looking to have Fabianski backup to someone rather than have a backup for him. He's a good GK is Fabianski but he's not as good as say Lloris, Neuer, Frey etc.

Mariano is a decent GK though. If you're happy with Fabianski though, I reckon Barbosa will be fine as backup.

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is Barbosa good enough as back-up for Fabianski?

I signed him on a free and he looks decent enough

TBH mate, I'd be looking to have Fabianski backup to someone rather than have a backup for him. He's a good GK is Fabianski but he's not as good as say Lloris, Neuer, Frey etc.

Mariano is a decent GK though. If you're happy with Fabianski though, I reckon Barbosa will be fine as backup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Fabianski is just as got as Lloris tbh.

Barbosa will do for now though until I sign someone top class icon14.gif

i'm in season 3 now, at the jan transfer window.

what i want to know is, is ramos better than toure or barzagli?

ramos CA/PA of the 3 is the best, but his stats aren't great in my opinion. so should i buy him and sell one of the 2 or rotate the 3?

bear in mind i got all the good arsenal defenders out on loan, sakho included, and micah richards on rotation too.

also bodmer i got him for 27m, ben afra was sold. thanks to hulk i now understand why he was so ex. icon_razz.gif

anyway bodmer doesn't seem to fit very well in my team, keep getting sent off.

i only bought him because i wanted a mc that can dominate in the air and hit a mean pass too.

now sorta regretting shelling out so much for him

Hulk

I play a 4-2-3-1 formation.

The AMl/R has a curve arrow going to ST position.

Boards sold Traore and I sold Sagna coz I wanted to try somebody else.

Always had Lahm in 07.

So I thought I'd get him in 08.

Yes, I do let him go forward till ST position even.

Thou I set cross ball as mixed.

Might try giving cross ball often to him.

And my backline seldom gets exposed coz my full backs are fast.

I have both the CMs falling back when not in possession as well.

I do have replacements for the both of them but my defence will be really young without them

Sakho has been intense of late.

Unreal stats!

Haha...

Oh... and thanks for the advices mate.

Always appreciated.

Originally posted by Achieve:

i'm in season 3 now, at the jan transfer window.

what i want to know is, is ramos better than toure or barzagli?

ramos CA/PA of the 3 is the best, but his stats aren't great in my opinion. so should i buy him and sell one of the 2 or rotate the 3?

bear in mind i got all the good arsenal defenders out on loan, sakho included, and micah richards on rotation too.

also bodmer i got him for 27m, ben afra was sold. thanks to hulk i now understand why he was so ex. icon_razz.gif

anyway bodmer doesn't seem to fit very well in my team, keep getting sent off.

i only bought him because i wanted a mc that can dominate in the air and hit a mean pass too.

now sorta regretting shelling out so much for him

His stats don't look anything special but he is quality.

For me at least.

He has made great last ditch tackles for my team.

My favourite CB as well

Hah.

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

Sakho isn't developing that well for me.

Does anyone know why that might be?

Are you playing him much? And do you have 7 star training??

If yes to both of these then prehaps he has a lower PA in your game than others.

Originally posted by Scott08:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PoopyPants:

Sakho isn't developing that well for me.

Does anyone know why that might be?

Are you playing him much? And do you have 7 star training??

If yes to both of these then prehaps he has a lower PA in your game than others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I haven't got 7 star training.

I'll get hiring and firing straight away.

Can anyone upload their training schedules please as mine don't seem to be too good.

Archived