Should strength decline so much with age?

I understand how a footballers pace and acceleration declines towards the end of a career, however I don't think this should be the same for strength?

Surely anyone who continues to visit the gym, regardless of age (obviously not 80) can still maintain a high level of strength.

Some footballers in the lower leagues use only their strength to prolong their careers, so in FM terms, should this stat decline so rapidly?

The stat decrease does make sense, and almost the transfer of stats to the mental column as they get more experienced, but should the decline be slightly more dynamic in approach?

Yeh I agree, I think ALL physical attributes decline too much and too early. Some of the worlds best sprinters have hit their peaks in their early 30s. Look at Rugby players some massively strong players in the mid 30s.

Strength IRL probably should be hitting it's peak around 30 not declining.

I also don't think the rise in specific strength training is enough (from anything I've seen, feel free to tell me otherwise) if you said to a 17 year old, your an amazing footballer, but your too weak, hit the gym. Within a shortish period of time, with the right training, right attitude, they could be very strong.

Based on fact of this scenario above, my brother in law was told to do exactly this (in the pro footballer world before he discovered beer and women) and got very strong very quickly!

Outside of the specific world of FM I would also take strength to mean strength on the ball, which is quite different. Someone could be strong in terms of lifting weights, but easy to push off the ball if they aren't really good at knowing when and how to hold people off, or lose the speed of strength required to do so through aging.

This might be 'balance' in FM though, I'm not sure, but in my eyes it could partially explain why strength can be seen as decreasing in certain older players

From the manual. "A player's strength is his ability to exert his physical force on an opponent to his benefit. A player with a high strength rating will be able to use it to his advantage against weaker opponents."

Balance is - Reflects simply how well a player can keep his balance in situations both with and without the ball. With the ball, it refers to how balanced he is running with it and evading opponents. without it, it refers to his balance when facing a player running at him, or his stability when turning/jumping.

From the manual. "A player's strength is his ability to exert his physical force on an opponent to his benefit. A player with a high strength rating will be able to use it to his advantage against weaker opponents."

Balance is - Reflects simply how well a player can keep his balance in situations both with and without the ball. With the ball, it refers to how balanced he is running with it and evading opponents. without it, it refers to his balance when facing a player running at him, or his stability when turning/jumping.

Interesting, as the strength I had in mind doesn't include running, so in my mind it could decrease for aging players, but certainly not all of them and certainly as much as pace/acceleration would drop

Archived