Negotiating new contracts

Any tips about the time and methods of doing this? I'm finishing the first season with Brighton, almost certain to win the league and promotion. But a fair number of my players who have played important roles are out of contract at the end of the season and are demanding large pay rises to stay.

Unfortunately, the board aren't so generous and I've only got about 9k to go until the set max on wages they've instructed. This is particularly problematic when players are demanding about 10k rises each! E.g. David Lopez is currently on (from memory) about 4-5k and his agent is demanding a pay rise to about 12-13k a week.

I've tried negotiating down, but unlike in previous FM games where agents appeared more willing to move down a bit in their demands, in my game they just always go back to their initial demands. At best they'll knock down their wages demands by about 1-2k maximum.

It's very frustrating and I'm worried that we're going to get promoted, only to lose the majority of the team and struggle in the EPL as a result of a tiny squad.

Any suggestions?

What's the date on your game at the moment? Your budget will significantly increase once you are promoted to the Premiership.

In my first season in the Premiership with Gillingham I went from having £1.7m balance at the end of the previous season to £20m by November and £40m at the end of the season. TV money pays a lot. So you can actually afford to pay a lot more money to players and spend more on transfers. In my second season now, I have 2 strikers who are on £3m a year each, and I'm still making money, even though I haven't got a new stadium yet. Priestfield in the Champions League!!! :D

Give players who rarely score big goal bonues and clauses they will never actually hit - such as massive increase after 10 caps, relegation release of £0, top scorer for division, team of the year etc.

Thanks - this seems to have worked.

Also good to know that my finances will be loosened upon promotion hopefully!

Don't take the advice of your assistant (if you have this turned on) for renegotiating contracts of your star players whenever he deems it necessary. My assistant is constantly doing this when team meetings come up.

Archived