A Sabbatical In Shalford - FM12

fat Lion1

February 2014

Shalford 2 - 5 Ewhurst

So the first of three consecutive home games starts against Ewhurst, who I happen to have a decent record against.

Well it took 30 seconds for Ewhurst to score and immediately put us on the back foot. Roll on another 5 mins and they score again add another 9 mins on to that and they score again! 3 - 0 down within 15 mins. So our attempt to come back from that one left us 4 -0 down on the 28th min after being totally embarrassed we started to play something resembling football and went into half-time having created a couple of chances.

After giving the team a big roasting we looked a lot better than before and pushed for a consolation goal, which we got via a Atkin header on 65th min. Any chance of a miracle happening was killed off when they scored there 5th goal 2 mins later. We did get another one in the 83rd min, but it was all too little, too late. Embarrassing isn't the word.

Monthly Verdict

Two words: team meeting. After a team meeting that went horribly wrong, we was destroyed by a Ewhurst team we made to look like Brazil. A similar thing happened to me when I was Lightwater after a bad team meeting, losing to Woking 6 - 0. So in future, no risky team meetings!

Current position 11th place with 11 points, 21 behind 2nd placed Milford & Witley

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 2014

Shalford 2 - 1 Old Salesians

After a torrid last home game it was time to face all conquering Old Salesians. Victory would see them promoted.

Great start from Shalford we were ripping the champions-elect apart at will and really giving them a game. We got our reward too, Colombian midfielder Velandia smashing a free-kick in from distance. We continued to dominate and was unfortunate to only go into half-time 1 - 0 up.

After praising the team we came out with the same spirit and again we was rewarded on the 65th min with a decent Lelia strike, 2 - 0 to Shalford! Salesians finally got there act together and played some football and got there goal on the 77th min making things nervous for us, but despite a few hairy moments we held on for a great victory ending a horrible win less streak.

Shalford 2 - 0 Wormley Rovers Reserves

After a great home victory against the team at the top, it was time for a match against the team at the bottom! Let the battle of the bottom two commence.

Again we started off well in this match and again we were eventually rewarded for our dominance Lelia again hit home a great strike. Wormley created a few half-chances but overall we were in control.

I told the team to keep focused at half-time and that is what we did, Wormley only really had one decent chance, but were always in the game at 1 - 0. That was until Clement finished it off in the 85 min with a brilliant strike in the top corner. Another victory!

Monthly Verdict

What a month. It may be too late to finish anywhere else but 2nd bottom, however these new tactics are finally paying off. To beat Salesians was a great achievement and then notch up another win shows we are making progress. This month saw us let go of LB Liam Berry and bring in LB Dan Hooson who had a solid debut.

Current position is 11th place with 17 points, 18 points behind 2nd placed behind Milford & Witley.

April 2014

Milford & Witley 6 - 0 Shalford

So will this new found momentum take us to our first away victory of the season against promotion chasing Milford?

Milford started well in this game, like a team who wanted promotion and got an early goal in the 9th min to put them 1 - 0 up. The second one wasn't far behind when they made it 2 - 0 on the 13th min. This kicked us into action and we created some chances which we really should've scored, Milford looked good for another goal though going into half-time.

After telling the team to show me something else, we conceded almost right away from a corner on the 48th min, so that was the match essentially over. Again we looked decent despite there big scoreline and was unlucky not to at least score one goal for good measure. Our chances improved when they went down to 10 men, but just like many times this season this only gave ammunition for the other team. Three more goals were scored on the 81st min, 90th min and then another one in injury time. Mauled.

Monthly Verdict

Well our away form has been terrible this season and it must be rectified next season. To go without winning away at level 13 is a joke I'm going to sort this if it kills me.

Current position is 11th with 17 points, 15 behind 2nd placed Milford & Witley

May 2014

Shalford 3 - 2 Pyrford

So our final game of the season was against Pyrford who had a shot of promotion if other results went there way.

What a start by Shalford. 30 seconds in and 1 - 0 up thanks to a great kind header, we dominated after this and really had them on the ropes. We got our 2nd and King's 2nd when he scored another header on the 15th min. After that great start Pryford came into the game and started to show what they could do and it wasn't long they got 1 back, good strike on the 27th min. We didn't collapse though going into half-time we looked like we could get another goal, but then again so did they.

After praising the team at half-time we came out looking jaded. This eventually told when they scored on the 60th min. After some subs to freshen us up we looked a better team and both of us missed chances, however after an end to end game, in injury time Valdo picked up the ball smashed in a low cross and that man King finished it off to give us our 3rd consecutive home win.

Monthly Verdict

What a great match that was to finish the season, these new tactics are really flourishing at home. All hail to this season's top scorer Leon King! Pyford would've been promoted had they won this due to Milford and Surrey Uni losing, so ha ha ha.

Final position is 11th place with 20 points, 15 behind Milford & Witley.

Season Verdict

Okay so we only won 4 games out of 22 but I think its been a productive season. I understand the team and this league better now and I'm pretty confident next season will finish closer to the top than the bottom. However I will shipping out quite a few players who just haven't performed this season, but I do think we have the nucleus of a good team.

Old Salesians went up as champions, whilst Milton and Witley took 2nd place. Well done to them both.

Position: 11th P 22 W 4 D 8 L 10 F 28 A 46 GD -18 Pts 20

Positives

- Leon King being top scorer

- 7 games unbeaten at the start

- Tactical overhaul

- Home form

Negatives

- Away form

- Signing mostly rubbish players

- Losing both Lightwater United matches

- Finishing 2nd bottom

Season Rating: 4/10

Previous Club

Lightwater United finished 8th place with 28 points.

Pre-Season

As promised it was a busy pre-season in terms of bringing players in. Firstly I got rid of number of fringe players none really worthy of mention bar striker Joe Warner, good luck to him. So defensively I brought in Gambian Hasim Deen and promoted youth player Shane Donaldson. I beefed up the midfield with stalwarts Richard Battersby and Stuart Maynard. Then I brought in a new striker Ghanian Jones Awuah.

Results:

Shalford 1 - 2 Shalford Reserves

Shalford 1 - 0 Brockworth

Shalford 1 - 0 Cottingham Rangers

Hayes Gate 0 - 3 Shalford

Elliott Star 3 - 3 Shalford

So a very good pre-season in terms of results, happy with those away performances, a sign perhaps? Probably not, roll on the season!

August 2014

Pyrford 2 - 1 Shalford

So a repeat of last season's final match, just we are playing away at a ground I always seem to lose on, will things be different?

Well one thing certainly wasn't different, our ability to concede early goals, 4th min bang 1 - 0 to Pyrford. However unlike last season we bounced back from this setback quite well, playing some decent stuff and creating chances, Pyrford had there chances too but at half-time we went in just 1 - 0 down.

After praising the team for there efforts we continued in the same vain, however Pyrford missed a great chance to put us to the sword and we capitalized on this in the 75th min Awuah scoring on his debut after good work by King. We really pushed them after this but couldn't get anything, then injury time came... Valdo whips in a great cross for Awuah who just missed the header, there keeper lofts it forward, they whip a cross in Naughton can only parry it straight into the path of Hughes and bang they win it 2 - 1. Yes I am gutted, but I can't fault the team. We move on.

Shalford 4 - 0 Wormley Reserves

Now a battle of the last season's bottom two and a great chance for us to pick up a win.

We started great and a brilliant cross by Maynard was volleyed home by Hooson. We really took control of the game after this but just couldn't get a second. Wormley had half chances but never really looked like getting one as we went to half-time.

After telling the team to keep it up at half-time they did just that. The breakthrough came on the 58th min when Howells headed in from a corner. Then on 67th min came a total fluke from Hooson who got his second from a cross come goal. Wormley had one decent chance to score, but hit the crossbar. Then in injury time, Farmer polished off a great home victory. They will be tougher tests, but savour this for now.

Godalming & Farncombe 3 - 3 Shalford

Another away ground where I regularly get beat. Godalming have had a good start to the campaign winning there first two games.

Was a very even start this one, both teams enjoying possession and not creating much in the way of efforts. It was Godalming who created the first real chances, but failed to take them and going into half-time it looked like it would be all even, until Valdo popped up with a great header to put us 1 - 0 up going into half-time.

After praising the team Godalming came out much better and it did look like only a matter of time before they scored, which they did on the 58th min. This only spurred them on more as they really put us under pressure. We tolled on the 69th min when they scored another one through slack defending. Just like last season we collapsed and they got a third on the 75th min, game over. Surely? Not if Farmer has anything to do with it! Our super-sub took the ball from just inside there half and dribbled straight into there 18 yard box and smashes one home! Still 3 - 2 down mind, but Farmer came after them again and got his second to put us at 3 - 3, amazing stuff. We really pushed them after this, but going into injury didn't get the goal. King broke through in the dying seconds only to be hauled down by the last man who didn't even get sent off! But a great away point, much deserved.

Monthly Verdict

Good month. We went to Pyrford and Godalming and should've won both them games which were decided on fine margins. We will have tougher home tests than Wormley, but we got a win in our second game, unlike last season's debacle. The only downside of this month is we lost King for 5 weeks due to injury after the Godalming game, hope that doesn't effect us too much!

Current position is 6th with 4 points, 3 points off 2nd placed Godalming.

September 2014

Shalford 1 - 3 Merrow

We come into September with a home game against relegated Merrow whom have had a tough start to life in this division.

We started the game really well. Creating a good few chances in the opening 15 mins, but just not taking them. However on the 18th min Awuah finished one off to put us 1 - 0 up. We continued in the same vain up to the half hour mark and should've been out of site, then they suckered us. A goal came totally against the run of play and put Merrow level. It was more even going into half-time and the score remained 1 - 1.

Merrow came out looking a lot better this half and there class was beginning to tell on us. We were still creating chances, but missed Knights influence. Merrow went ahead on the 60th min and after this I just went for it. Again we matched them, but just lack the finishing touch and they finished us off on the 82nd min. I was proud of my team though, we gave them a good game.

Elm Grove Senior 2 - 2 Shalford

So the search for an away victory takes us to Elm Grove who have had a steady start to the season.

Elm Grove started the better of the two teams, but were pretty wasteful of there chances in the first 10 mins and then on the 15th min we struck. Great play by Awuah and Lelia put us 1 - 0 up, a great African combo! Elm Grove piled on the pressure after this but we appeared to be doing well in soaking it up, that was until just before half-time when they got it back to 1 - 1 through a tame strike.

After telling the team to keep the belief we started well and created chances and kept possession better. Then on the 66th min debutant winger Danny Wood whipped in a cross only for Awuah to be tugged on the shirt and the ref blew for a penalty, which Awuah duly put away. This looked like it could be the game we finally did it, got the away victory. However Elm Grove came on strong, but there goal on the 80th min was a ridiculous fluke cross. They hammered us after this goal, but we held firm and got a hard fought point to show for our efforts.

Shalford 3 - 1 Knaphill Athletic

A chance to get our home form back on track against struggling Knaphill here.

Knaphill really did look like a struggling team in the first half of this match. We were 2 - 0 up within 15 mins a good strike from Awuah and a scrappy goal from Maynard. They did come into a bit after this, but we still should've got at least another one to kill them off completely. But I would've took this at the start so 2 - 0 it was at half-time.

After praising the team Knaphill started brightly as we did, but we kept our composure and made it difficult for them to get any momentum going. However we only shut them out for so long as they got one back on the 78th min to make for a nervy finale, well not so nervy when Awuah got his 2nd off the day on the 82nd min. We shut them out to record another home victory!

Monthly Verdict

Another good month. Merrow got lucky against us, but we bounced back in our next two games and that is all I want from my team, to be competitive. Jones Awuha what a class player he is turning out to be 5 goals in 6 appearances, amazing. Only negative of this month is the vultures are after Knight and sadly Hooson went so I brought in 36 YO LB Frenchman Alex Jeannin.

Current position is 9th with 8 points, 5 points behind 2nd placed Abbey.

October 2014

Lightwater United 2 - 0 Shalford

A return to my old stomping ground against a team who did the double against us last season.

Lightwater started well in this game, dominating us straight away. We were lucky to not be behind going into the 20th min, however it was our own mistake that cost us Peachy gave away a penalty which they dispatched. We still couldn't get near them and it wasn't long till they went 2 - 0 up on us. I just wanted half-time to come and thankfully when it we were only 2 - 0 down.

After telling the team to show me something else they created a few chances, but Lightwater were still dominant. All game we mustered one shot on target whilst Lightwater ran out comfortable winners. I hate playing this team!

Shalford 2 - 0 Abbey

Next up a home game against one of the promotion favorites in relegated Abbey.

Great start to this game putting Abbey on the back foot and asserting some real pressure. However just when it looked like we were going to dish out a real beating, Awuah gets himself sent off for a double-footed challenge. Now we were really up against it and had to withstand some Abbey pressure. However we saw some real heroics from our team who didn't buckle under the pressure and went into half-time at 0 - 0

After telling the team to keep believing we started to once again dominate Abbey and then Ahmed popped up with a goal in the 58th min. Abbey really turned it on now, but again we stood firm and they couldn't get through us. Going into the 80th min it was still 1 - 0 and then sub Lelia picks up the ball from just about 20 yards and smashes it home, brilliant. We held on for an unlikely victory, made even harder with 10 men!

Monthly Verdict

Strange month. The Lightwater game was the worst of the season so far easily, but the Abbey one was the best, real heroics from the team, loved it. More good news Knight decided to stay at the club despite other teams offering contracts. Hope Awuah's 3 match suspension doesn't effect us too much!

Current position is 7th with 11th points, 5 behind 2nd placed Abbey.

November 2014

Shalford 3 - 0 Ewhurst

After the last great home victory, could we continue the good form against Ewhurst?

We came out full of confidence clearly gained from our last victory and put Ewhurst on the back foot. We created chances and Ewhurst could not cope with us. We got our reward on the 18th min, a nice volleyed goal by Ahmed. We continued to control the game and missed a few good chances going into half-time 1 - 0 up.

I praised the team and we continued to dominate the game. The second goal came on 57th min with Deen heading into the net from a corner. Ewhurst never looked like scoring and we continued to assert the pressure which eventually told again with Valdo scoring a classy strike on the 75th min. Job done. Ewhurst were level on points with us before the game so it was a vital win.

Surrey University 2 - 3 Shalford

So to the scene of a humbling 5 - 1 defeat last season, could I extract revenge?

Surrey started well and it wasn't long till they got a goal coming in the 5th min. However like we have done a few times this season we came back from this and finished our chance on the 15th min Knight getting his 1st of the season. A scrappy game followed on from this where we both had goals disallowed for offside and both had chances to go into half-time winning. Alas we went in 1 - 1.

I told the team to keep the faith and we looked good for a goal. However both sides struggled in front of goal till Surrey finally got in front on the 72nd min. Three mins later however we was level again Knight getting his 2nd goal and making it 2 - 2. Clearly having Surrey on the ropes here we went for it and got our 3rd goal, Knight bagging a great hat-trick. I was weary of what happened in previous games with us blowing it, however we saw the game out to record our third win in a row and my first away win in charge!

Shalford 2 - 1 AFC Spelthorne Sports

Time to continue our home form against Spelthorne Sports who were just below us in the league.

We started well, creating chances and knocking the ball around great. We really should've scored during this period of dominance because Spelthorne looked dangerous going forward. This eventually proved to be the case when they went in front on the 35th min through a great 25 yard strike. We went into half-time undeserving of being behind.

I told the team to keep the faith and there is something different about Shalford this season as we didn't buckle we took the game to them and equalized on the 55th min, Ahmed keeping up his good run. We didn't give Spelthorne chance to get back into the lead as we scored another one through Donaldson via a corner in the 59th min. Spelthorne went for it after this, but we held firm and shut them out all the way to full-time. Great victory.

Shalford 3 - 2 Pyrford

Could Shalford record 5 wins a row at home to Pyrford? Don't bet against it!

Shalford started off well in this match, Pyrford didn't know what hit them. The return of Awuah clearly had given some energy to the attack and it wasn't long before he was on the score sheet banging one in on the 23rd min. Again we came at them and they were hardly creating anything and just before half-time we doubled our lead, that man Awuah getting his 2nd and showing us what we missed the last few games.

I lavished praise on the team at half-time and we didn't rest on our laurels lead taking the game to Pyrford and putting them under pressure. We got our 3rd and final goal on the 63rd min through Deen, surely it was over? Well 3 mins later Pyrford got a scrappy goal back, not to worry though only 3 - 1. Pyrford really turned it on now and was awarded a penalty on the 77th min which they smashed home. So what was a tight end to the game saw us hold on and collect our 5th win a row!

Monthly Verdict

What a perfect month this was, accumulation of hard work. Not only have I won more games than the entire of last season, but I have also beaten the points total. Fantastic stuff, are we in for a promotion battle? On the more negative side of things Battersby got poached by another club and Valdo is out for a few weeks.

Current position is 2nd with 23 points, 3 points behind 1st placed Godalming.

December 2014

Wormley Rovers Reserves 2 - 2 Shalford

So the minnows of the league who have so far collected the grand total of zero points, surely we wouldn't slip up here?

We started well and it didn't take long till we got our goal, a good strike by Maynard on the 10th min. This saw a series of chances missed by us and we really should've been out of sight when Wormley equalized in the 24th min. This made the play more even and Wormley didn't look like a team who were bottom, though we didn't look a like team who were near the top! 1 - 1 it was at half-time.

After telling the team to keep going at half-time the end to end theme continued, both teams missing sitters. Then on the 80th min a corner for Wormley resulted in a goal. Having to really go for it now, it looked like we were done for when Farmer popped up with a late equalizer to save our embarrassment and deny Wormley there 1st victory, but not there first point.

Shalford 1 - 2 Godalming & Farncombe Athletic

Now is a mouthwatering battle of the top two teams, victory for us could really see some momentum towards a promotion push.

Godalming started the better of the teams, keeping the ball well and restricting our chances. We missed a couple of headers from corners and Godalming took the lead on the 31st min. The momentum continued when Godalming doubled there lead on the 37th min taking a healthy lead into half-time.

I roasted the team and we came out a lot better for it. It didn't take long till we were back in the game a Valdo strike in the 57th min on his 1st game back from injury. Both teams had chances and it could've either way, but it was Godalming who took the spoils this time and cemented there place at the top of the tree in December.

Monthly Verdict

A setback month this was. I was pretty sure we would go on and beat Wormley and at least pick up a point against Godalming. However its a sign of progress when I am disappointed instead of expecting such things. Lets hope next month we get back to form.

Current position is 3rd with 24 points, 1 point behind 2nd placed AFC Spelthorne Sports.

Very nicely done, Mr Lion1 (or may I call you Fat?)

It takes me back to my early days of story-writing when many of the efforts here were of a similar nature to yours. (That's a compliment by the way.) :thup:

Very nicely done, Mr Lion1 (or may I call you Fat?)

It takes me back to my early days of story-writing when many of the efforts here were of a similar nature to yours. (That's a compliment by the way.) :thup:

Haha thank you.

As for the username I'm not sure what I was thinking!

January 2015

Merrow 3 - 1 Shalford

So a tough trip to Merrow in our efforts to get back on track ensued.

We started off poorly with Merrow taking control of the game early on and it wasn't long till they got there reward banging one in the 12th min. We still struggled to get into the game creating some half-chances, but nothing of any note and it was fortunate we were only losing by the one goal at half-time.

I told the team to buck there ideas up and we looked slightly better, only slightly mind. Merrow's attack again proved too much for us on the 58th min scoring there 2nd and killing the game off. I changed things around a bit to see if it would make a difference, but Merrow still were in control and got there final goal on the 86th min. We did score however in injury through Awauh, but it was too late.

Shalford 1 - 2 Elm Grove Senior

Time to get things back on track at home to struggling Elm Grove Senior.

Elm Grove came blasting our of the blocks in this game and it wasn't long till they were ahead in the 6th min. We settled down after this and created a number of chances to try and put ourselves level and even possibly ahead. However fortune favored Elm Grove this time round and they went in 1 - 0 up.

I told the team they were unlucky and we continued the pressure on Elm Grove and finally scored via Valdo on the 74th min. However that lead lasted about 30 seconds when they score immediately after kick-off our new RB Graig misjudging the ball bounce and letting them get in for a second. We threw everything at them, but they held firm and collected the three points. Really frustrating result for us and all but ends a promotion challenge.

Knaphill Athletic 1 - 3 Shalford

Knaphill who were tipped to do well in the league are really struggling near the foot of the table, so maybe we could get an away win here?

We came out well and put Knaphill on the back foot from the off, we should've got that early goal, but wasted our chances. Knaphill however wasn't wasteful with there chance our CB Donaldson spending too much time on the ball and resulted in them scoring in the 17th min. However Donaldson earned immediate redemption when he crossed in a free-kick for Deen to tap home on the 20th min. A very even half ensued after this and both teams could've led going into half-time however it remained 1 - 1.

I told the team to keep at it at half-time and we came out looking more dominant over Knaphill. We eventually got our goal with Valdo scoring a good strike to put us 2 - 1 ahead on the 57th min. Knaphill showed why they are near the bottom offering a meek response to our goal and it wasn't long till we got our third. Substitute Howells knocked in one from a scrappy free-kick to put us 3 - 1 up and out of sight. Solid away victory.

Monthly Verdict

Average month really. I expected to lose against Merrow, but the Elm Grove loss was terrible. However we bounced back against Knaphill and the Shalford of last season would've gone there and got destroyed, so I'm happy enough with that. Unfortunately our RB Brian Peachy left to join another club so we brought in Scotsman Calum Greig and CM Russell Hudson. The league is looking really tight for 2nd spot. Godalming are outta sight in first with 37 points, but for 2nd it couldn't be much tighter with only 4 points separating 2nd and 6th. 5 games left.

Current position is 6th with 27 points, 4 points off 2nd placed Spelthorne Sports.

February 2015

Shalford 1 - 0 Lightwater United

A home game against my old club, where defeat for either team would end any promotion hopes for good.

Shalford started off really well, creating chances galore but clearly missing the injured Knight. The game settled down after the frantic start by Shalford and neither team offered much going into half-time.

I praised the team for there efforts and we still looked good for a win here. Then the action came when Deen got us a penalty after being hauled down in the 18 yards box. Up steps Ahmed to take it and whack he hit the crossbar and a reprieve for Lightwater. Then it got worse when Greig got himself a 2nd yellow and injured at the same time, so we were down to 10. However our determination this season has been 2nd to none and after that drama Awuah banged one in from distance. Lightwater came to a life a bit after this, but we held firm, missed a great chance to go 2 - 0 up and got the victory!

Monthly Verdict

Oh it felt good getting one over them and even better ending there promotion hopes. We still have a chance with four games left, but whatever happens it has been a productive season. I snapped up young Congolese CB Louis Ayina to booster the defence.

Current position is 5th place with 30 points, 4 points off 2nd placed Spelthorne Sports.

March 2015

Abbey 1 - 1 Shalford

The quest for promotion takes us to fellow promotion candidates Abbey in what was guaranteed to be a tough game.

Both teams started off well, but it was Abbey who was creating the better chances and really should've taken them. However we created a few chances of our own, but failed to take them. Abbey really pushed late on in the half, but we held firm and went into half-time at 0 - 0

After praising the team Abbey still looked more likely to score, till that man Awuah picked up on the ball on the 55th min and smashed home, could we hang on? Unfortunately it didn't take long till Abbey got back into the game with a goal on the 65th min and then an end to end tie followed. However neither team created the chance to win so a decent point for us it had to be.

Shalford 5 - 2 Surrey University

A chance to do the double over Surrey Uni who have underperformed all season.

Surrey started the game well and it wasn't long till they found themselves in the lead 1 -0 in the 4th min. Surrey would go on to enjoy a good share of the possession and missed some sitters to take there lead to 2 - 0. We started to make more of it just before half-time and got our breakthrough via a corner Jones Awuah getting his 11th of the season.

After telling the team to keep at it went on to have a storming half. Deen put us in front again through a corner on the 54th min. We really had them on the ropes here and Ayina who was only starting his 2nd game for the club scored his 1st goal to put us 3 - 1 up. Surrey would strike back in the 80th min to make it 3 - 2 and a nervy finish. However no such thing occurred as Ayina would get his 2nd goal in as many starts, not bad for CB! Then the calamity started, Surrey Uni player had the ball in the 18 yard box, clears it, only for it to hit his own player and go straight into the net! 5 - 2 brilliant result and a shout out to midfielder Clement who assisted 4 goals!

Monthly Verdict

Good month. Disappointed we did not take all 3 points at Abbey, but then again I went in expecting none! Brilliant win over Surrey which gives us a nice platform for the last 2 games, both away unfortunately. No matter what happens its been a good season for us, so might aswell enjoy these next 2 games.

Current position is 5th with 34 points, 4 points off 2nd placed Merrow.

April 2015

Ewhurst 1 - 0 Shalford

The slim hopes of promotion rely on victory at struggling Ewhurst.

We got off to the worst possible start in this match, Ewhurst scoring within 3 mins. We had plenty of the ball in this half though, just couldn't seem to get a shot on target whilst Ewhurst were getting shots away at will. Lucky for us it stayed 1 - 0 till half-time and promotion was still in our grasp.

Unfortunately for us it was very much of the same this half and the team just didn't look at the races even when I made the subs. We lost the match and with that our promotion hopes.

Monthly Verdict

Well I can't say I'm too disheartened about our promotion hopes. We've done well this season just to be in contention at this stage, however Ewhurst had nothing to play for so it is a tad annoying.

Our current position is 6th with 34 points, 5 points off 2nd placed Merrow.

May 2015

AFC Spelthorne Sports 1 - 1 Shalford

Whilst our promotion hopes may have died, a win here for Spelthorne could see them promoted.

Both teams started off well and were going for it. It would be Spelthorne who struck first however on the 15th min through a nice low drive. We didn't buckle and took the game to Spelthorne who may be nervous due to the magnitude of the match. We eventually got our reward just before half-time when leigh crashed through there defence to make it 1 - 1.

I told the team to enjoy the remainder of the match and they did so. We had efforts to win the game and so did Spelthorne, albiet less than us. However it finished 1 - 1 and Spelthorne shall be playing in the same level as us next season, not that it would've mattered if they had won, as Merrow got the win they needed to go up.

Monthly Verdict

Well it was nice to sign off with a point. See more of my thoughts in the 'season verdict' in the next post.

Current position is 6th place with 35 points, 7 points off Merrow in 2nd place.

Season Verdict

Well what a great season this has been. The team have took a massive stride from where we were last season and I believe this will give us the platform to mount a real promotion challenge next season. The team have been formidable at home, improved to a degree away from home and in Awuah we have a striker who can finish. Roll on next season!

Godalming & Farncombe Atheletic went up as champions, whilst Merrow also went up finishing 2nd, well done to both.

Position: 6th P 22 W 10 D 5 L 7 F 43 A 33 GD +10 Pts 35

Positives

- Improving greatly on last season

- Awuah banging the goals in

- 2nd best home form in the league

- Ending Lightwater's promotion hopes

Negatives

- Still losing too many games away

- Players being poached

- Knight not scoring as many as last season

- Dropping silly points, i.e Wormley away

Season Rating: 7/10

Previous Club

Lightwater United finished 5th place with 36 points, 1 place and point better than us.

Pre-Season

New additions this season saw experienced Scottish GK Chris Hill sign along with LB Paul Turner. CM Mark Noon and striker Graham Lewis. Unfortunately Leon Knight was poached by another club, big loss.

Results:

Shalford 3 - 3 Shalford Reserves

Shalford 3 - 1 Elliott Star

Shalford 2 - 0 Cottingham Rangers

Brockworth 1 - 1 Shalford

Avon Rockleaze 3 - 2 Shalford

Not much to report on in pre-season, the team is looking well and the new signings are slotting in nicely, roll on the season!

August 2015

Pyrford 1 - 3 Shalford

A repeat of last season's curtain raiser, can we start the season better this time?

We started the game well, putting Pyrford on the back foot and creating chances, however it would be Pyrford who took an unjust lead in the 16th min. We continued with the good play and it took 20 more mins till we got the equalizer via Awuah. Pyrford held us off till half-time going in at 1 - 1.

After telling the team to keep going we continued to dominate with Pyrford only creating half-chances at best. Our 2nd goal arrived on the 60th min with Awuah banging another one in. The victory was complete on the 66th min when that man again completed his hat-trick. We shut up shop and got a great away victory.

Shalford 2 - 1 Worplesdon Phoenix

Our first home game of the season is against relegated Worplesdon Phoenix.

Worplesdon started off well, restricting our possession of the ball and dictating the play. Not much was created in the way of chances in the first 25 mins and that didn't change till Worplesdon snatched one in the 36th min. We continued to labor in this match and Worplesdon went in with a well-earned advantage.

I told the team they were unlucky and this seemed to have the desired effect. We started to assert our dominance in the match and the chances were starting to come. The opposition still held firm for a long period in this match until a really lucky deflected strike put us level in the 79th min. Now both teams went for it, but we were having the better of the play, but it still looked set for a draw going into injury time. That was until Awuah sprinted through there defense and squared the ball to Billings who banged it home on his debut, fantastic finish to a match we didn't deserve to win!

Knaphill Athletic 0 - 1 Shalford

We re-visit the scene of one of our two away wins last season, can we win here again?

The game started very even with both sides stifling each other with perhaps Knaphill having the better of the play. No real events happened in what was a dull first-half with Knaphill probably more deserving of a lead.

After telling the team to keep at it at half-time the dull theme continued, but we made a breakthrough with getting on the end of a free-kick in the 67th min. This kicked us into life and Knaphill couldn't get close to finding an equalizer. That gave us the same amount of away wins as we had all last season, very pleasing.

Monthly Verdict

Perfect month. Was great to pick up all three wins and two of them being away from Shalford Park. If our away form can improve even by a small margin and we continue our home form of last season we could be talking promotion come March/April.

Current position is 2nd with 9 points, behind 1st placed Lightwater United on goal difference.

September 2015

Shalford 4 - 1 Royal Holloway Old Boys

Another home game against a recently relegated team.

The game started off well for Shalford with Royal Holloway not seeing very much of the ball or the chances. That man Awuah got us off to a great start scoring in the 18th min and we continued with the pressure. Holloway might have felt fortunate had they gone in 1 - 0 down at half-time, but it wasn't to be. That man again Awuah scored his 2nd to put us 2 - 0 up going into half-time.

After praising the team we came out looking good as before and on the 62nd min Awuah got his 2nd hat-trick of the season to put us out of sight. Holloway rallied slightly and got a goal back to show for there efforts, but any sign of a comeback was killed off when Farmer scored the 4th and final goal. Solid win.

Ewhurst 0 - 1 Shalford

Now to a ground which has been a scene of many horror shows by my teams.

Shalford started well putting Ewhurst on the back foot and restricting them to half-chances. What was a half that saw little action Lewis missed some sitters and Ewhurst had one decent chance, but at half-time it was 0 - 0.

I told the team to keep going and we came out looking good for a goal, but just missing the chances. I took Lewis off and brought on Lelia who is very much a bit player these days, however he made his mark in the 82nd min. Picking the ball up from 30 yards he thunders one into the bottom corner to win the match for Shalford! The last few mins were saw out in relative comfort.

Shalford 3 - 0 Surrey University

A home game against the team we did the double against last season, can we do it again?

Well to say we shot out of the blocks would be an understatement. Shalford played the best football I have ever seen from them in the first 30 mins of this game. It started with Awuah getting one in the 3rd min. This was soon followed up with another one in the 18th min to take his total to 9 already. Then to complete the half hour masterclass Billings scored a 3rd to make it 3 - 0. Surrey didn't know what had hit them and struggled to get anything going in the half. 3 - 0 it was at half-time.

After an enjoyable team-talk Surrey came out looking more eager than us and dominated the start of this half, but wasted there chances. We created a few half-chances, but in truth the job had been done in the 1st half, Surrey wasted any hope they had to get into the game and we march on!

Monthly Verdict

This just keeps getting better doesn't it? I'm loving these scrappy away victories and then smashing teams at home, the whole team is doing its job exceptionally well. Not getting too carried away yet, long way to go.

Current position is 1st with 18 points, 4 in front of 2nd placed AFC Spelthorne Sports.

October 2015

Tring Amateur 1 - 2 Shalford

Now an away fixture at Tring Amateur, Tring Amatuer replaced Wormley Rovers Reserves in this league for some unknown reason, they have a main team a few levels above.

The team started off well yet again and that man Awuah put us 1 - 0 up on the 4th min. The domination continued after the goal with Tring unable to get near us and we were eventually rewarded for that on the 27th min with Leigh doubling the scoreline. We really should've finished this game off before half-time wasting some good chances, but not going to complain too much going in at 2 - 0 up!

After praising the team at half-time, Tring came out much faster than us. It wasn't long till they were asserting the pressure and there goal arrived on the 58th min via a corner. We came more into it after this and the game was very much end to end, thankfully for us Tring couldn't get another and we escaped with the 3 points and the 100% record.

Shalford 3 - 1 Abbey

Now a home game against under performing Abbey, could they kick-start there season here?

The game had a very tight feeling to it to begin with. However we soon found our feet and the goal look inevitable. It did come, but not till the 37th min, with Noon getting his 1st goal for the team. The scoreline stayed the same till half-time.

I praised the team and told them to keep going whilst Abbey showed why they are tipped for promotion coming well into this game now. The end to end game resulted in Abbey gaining an equalizer through a headed free-kick in the 71st min. With the 100% record looking under threat the team took control again of this match and Awuah's goal on the 80th min killed the Abbey momentum. A further blow to Abbey was when Billings scored in injury time to put the match to bed. 8 wins out of 8!

Shalford 1 - 1 Elm Grove Senior

A home game against one of the few teams to leave Shalford Park with 3 points last season, could they do it again?

Shalford started off well, dominating this match and looking good for a goal. However we just wasn't putting the chances away in an unusual uncharacteristic of our season thus far. So half-time arrived and despite utterly dominating we went in at 0 - 0.

After telling the team to keep at it, it wasn't long till we got on the scoresheet, Billings getting on the end of a cross in the 47th min. We looked good for a second and missed a couple of chances when Elm Grove banged one in to leave us stunned. Scared of losing the 100% record the team went for it and we got our reward in the shape of a penalty. However our striker Lewis who has yet to score this season, took the penalty and fired it over. Elm Grove grew into the match after this and missed a great opportunity to probably win the game. It finished 1 - 1.

Monthly Verdict

Another great month, slightly soured by the loss of our 100% record. However to win 8 games in a row, was fantastic and most unexpected. It is important the team bounce back from that minor setback now and keep this promotion challenge going!

Current position is 1st with 25 points, 5 in front of 2nd placed AFC Spelthorne Sports.

November 2015

Lightwater United 0 - 0 Shalford

A chance now to get victory at a ground which has brought me little joy.

The game started pretty end to end with both teams creating chances and Shalford picking up three yellow cards in 5 mins. The game settled after this and Shalford had the better of the chances, but was just unable to finish. The game went in 0 - 0 at half-time.

After telling the team to keep going the 2nd half started like the 1st one ended very settled. I threw on some subs to freshen things up, but to no avail the game finished a very dour 0 - 0. However not too shabby from a ground where I had very little joy and yes I include my time as manager!

Shalford 1 - 3 AFC Spelthorne Sports

Disaster struck before this top of the table clash, both my GK Chris Hill and Mark Noon were poached ripping out the spine of my team in an instant.

Spelthorne started the better of the teams and it wasn't long till they cashed in, banging one home in the 12th min. They didn't relent in there domination and we struggled to cope with them and they went and doubled there lead in the 28th min. The team rallied from this and within 2 mins we were back in the game, Lewis getting his first goal for the club. However we shot ourselves in the foot big time with Spelthorne scoring a 3rd goal on the 33rd min and killing off our momentum. We created half-chances, but we went in 3 - 1 down at half-time.

After giving the team a roasting at half-time we rallied again in the second half. The solid Spelthorne rearguard held firm and things got worse when Turner got himself sent off for two straight yellows. Spelthorne used this advantage to see out the game with Shalford registering there first defeat and winless in three.

Shalford 0 - 4 Pyrford

A home game against struggling Pyrford should prove the tonic needed to get back on track.

We started off well enough dominating possession and creating a few chances, however disaster struck on 13th min when Billings got a straight red, which I think was unfortunate. This galvanized Pyrford who were using this new found advantage to take control of the game. We did push on but the team had clearly been hampered by this injustice and Pyrford took the lead just before half time.

I told the team to keep believing and were giving as good as we got and look good for a goal. The longer the game went on the more likely this became, however Pyrford scored on the 71st min to kill off our challenge. This was followed by further goals in the 82nd and 87th min. Very disappointing to lose that, terrible ref. What a way to celebrate my 100th game in management!

Monthly Verdict

Well that was an unexpected month! After recording a solid draw at Lightwater I expected to pick up at least four points at home. Then key players leaving and all round bad luck has left a very sour taste to this month. However we pick ourselves and we move on.

A few new players were brought in CM Stanley Mugo, GK Aaron Moseley along with two strikers in Ubong Umotong and Jack Defty.

Current position is 2nd place with 26 points, behind 1st place Elm Grove Senior on GD.

December 2015

Worplesdon Phoenix 2 - 1 Shalford

A match now against mid-table Worplesdon Phoenix, could the winless run stop here?

The team are pretty low in confidence and it showed at the start of this match with Worplesdon going ahead in 6 mins. The team continued to play badly giving Worplesdon complete control of the game and they soon doubled there lead on the 23rd min. We continued to let Worplesdon into our 18 yard area and we were lucky to be just 2 - 0 down going into half-time.

I told the team to believe more and we came out much better. It was very much who got the goal next to decide the direction of this game and thankfully it was us with Awuah scoring on the 67th min. We put them under some serious pressure after this and let some decent chances go begging. However it was not to be as Worplesdon saw out the victory and Shalford record a third successive loss.

Shalford 3 - 3 Knaphill Athletic

Another top of the table clash now with Knaphill who have slowly creeped up in recent games. Would be a good starting point to get back on track.

Both teams started well with a very end to end to contest. Chances were wasted, but on the 25th min we took the lead via a corner, Donaldson heading in. Knaphill started to hit back from this and began to control the game and they too would score in the 37th min taking the game to 1 - 1. However that was not the end of the action as right-back Greig scored a complete fluke of a cross to put us 2 - 1 up going into half-time.

I praised the team and we came out looking good for that killer goal. Knaphill also came out on a positive note and looked dangerous, proving too dangerous on the 62nd min when they equalized with a fine strike. This didn't kill our performance however as we still looked like we could win this, either side could in truth and on the 82nd min my old striker from Lightwater Jay Bowen banged in what looked like the winner for Knaphill. However less than minute later we were back level at 3 - 3 with Awuah popping up to make for a frantic finish. Neither team could find that killer goal and an entertaining game finished with a point each.

Monthly Verdict

If we don't find a win by next month then we can kiss goodbye to any chance of promotion. The Knaphill game did raise morale in the team so here is hoping to end 6 games without a win, c'mon Shalford!

This month saw Phil Turner and Carl Lewis leave, the former got poached, the latter was booted out for underperforming, so much for 13 finishing!

Current position is 3rd with 27 points, 2 points behind 2nd placed Elm Grove Senior.

January 2016

Royal Holloway Old Boys 1 - 0 Shalford

An away game now against a team at the foot of the table.

Shalfor started off the game well and took control. We created chances but just lacked that finishing touch. This theme continued and we paid for it as Holloway got one on the 27th min due to dodgy defending from a free-kick. They created a few more chances after this and it took the edge off our performance, so we went into half-time 1 - 0 down.

After telling the team they were unlucky we came out lackluster and Holloway looked good for another goal. I put some subs on to freshen things up and we carved out some chances. However the goals just never came and we slumped to another away defeat and no wins in 7.

Shalford 3 - 0 Ewhurst

Now a home game against the team who now find themselves bottom. Surely we gotta win this?

Both teams came out looking good for a goal, but our key attacking left-winger Billings just back from suspension got injured after two mins. Walsh came on for him but it took us a while to adapt to that change and Ewhurst missed some pretty good chances. However against the run of play Awuah run the length of the pitch and smashed one in putting us 1 - 0 up. Two mins later some good work from Walsh crossing one in enabled Valdo to tap one in making us 2 - 0 up. This really changed the game and Ewhurst couldn't live with our attacking force. This eventually told again when we scored on the 40th min Walsh getting a deserved goal to make it 3 - 0 and that is how the half ended.

After praising the team we seemed to let Ewhurst come on to us, but there striking was woeful so they never profited from this. We had a few chances to make it look even better, but I would've took 3 - 0 a victory that put us back in 2nd place and ends that awful run!

Surrey Uni 3 - 1 Shalford

Away now at a team we've had a decent record against, could this continue?

Surrey started this game all over us dominating it completely and should've been 1 -0 by time the 20th min mark swung around. However it would be us who put it in the net for them, Deen scoring an embarrassing own goal. This slightly made us better we created some chances from set-pieces, but nothing too threatening and Surrey went into half-time with just the one to show for it.

After telling the team to get there act together we were set for a long second half when Surrey scored there 2nd goal on the 48tyh min. This clearly hurting the teams fragile morale I made some subs in hope of changing the tide of the game and it did for a while. However Surrey killed the game off with a third goal in the 72nd min and all we had to show for it was a consolation strike from Awuah in the 87th min. Very disappointing.

Monthly Verdict

A bittersweet month with that old ghost of not winning away games coming back to haunt us. We have five games left and two of them are at home, so with three away we really to buck this trend to stand any chance of celebrating promotion come May.

Current position is 3rd with 30 points, 2 behind 2nd placed Elm Grove Senior.

February 2016

Shalford 1 - 2 Tring Amateur

Tring Amateur are another side who have crept up to the upper part of the table so this should make a tough match.

Tring started off well and took the lead through a well placed strike on the 6th min. They continued to dominate the match, but we created a few chances. Eventually we got back into the game on the 16th min via a force own goal. The game went very much end to end with both teams looking dangerous. It would be Tring who took the lead on the 32nd min with a well-worked goal making it 2 - 1. We were lucky to not concede another one as Tring dominated and the half drew to a close.

After telling the team to buck there ideas up we started to create some chances, but were just lacking in the final third. I threw on some subs to get it going but Tring just restricted us to long range efforts and would hold firm to win the game. Very disappointing loss.

Monthly Verdict

Well that was disappointing. Think we can kiss goodbye to 2nd place now, but there is hope yet. If Tring finish 2nd currently 3rd place, then whoever finishes 3rd will be promoted as Tring can't go up due to there senior team being in one of the divisions at the next level. There is still a chance, but with 3 away games and 1 home game left, its fading fast.

Current position is 5th place with 30 points, 3 points off 2nd placed Elm Grove Senior.

March 2016

Abbey 2 - 2 Shalford

A difficult away trip now against mid-table Abbey.

Well we got off to a brilliant start in this match a Nalborski corner corner headed in by Ayina on the 2nd min. We continued creating chances and were unfortunate not to go 2 - 0 up. Abbey started to settle into the game and create chances, but were pretty wasteful in doing so. Towards the end of the half both teams were pretty even, but we went in 1 - 0 up.

After praising the team we came out looking good for another goal, but still couldn't add to it. Abbey eventually got one back on the 56th min, but weren't level for long. Another Nalborski corner and again Ayina heads one in to put us ahead on the 59th min. Abbey came on strong after this and looked like they would score, but we did well to keep them out. Unfortunately a mistake by Deen let them equalize and despite chances by both sides it remained 2 - 2. Happy enough with the performance and the point though.

Shalford 2 - 1 Lightwater United

A loss at home to Lightwater would certainly end any chance of promotion and wouldn't they like to do that!

Both teams started off well, Shalford certainly the better of the two though and chances were missed by both sides. That was until the 20th min when we scored through a Lelia strike, great work by Awuah to create it. We were looking good after this but then disaster struck. Ayina brought down there striker and was shown a straight red in the 29th min. So now down to 10 men I had to re-jig the team and Lightwater benefited from this. However we held on and went into half-time 1 -0 up.

After praising the team it wasn't long till we were 2 - 0 up. There defender fouling Valdo earned us a penalty which Awuah dispatched, not had one of them for a while! We continued looking for the goal to finish them and making a few subsitutions which would late come back to haunt as Billings got him injured in the 70th min leaving us with 9 men! Wasn't long before they took advantage getting one back in the 75th min and really turning on the pressure. However some heroic defending by us in the last remaining mins saw us keep our promotion push alive and take all 3 points!

Monthly Verdict

Best month we've had in a while. The performance at Abbey was top notch unfortunately we can't play Nalborski that often due to only being aloud 1 foreign player in the team and we need Valdo more, we deserved the 3 points and then to beat Lightwater with 9 men was great, never simple with Shalford is it? So we go to Elm Grove Senior next month who are above us in the table in a vital promotion clash.

Walsh got poached by another club and left.

Current position is 3rd place with 34 points, 2 points off 2nd placed Elm Grove Senior.

April 2016

Elm Grove Senior 6 - 1 Shalford

So here it is, whoever wins this will be in pole position for promotion.

We started off the game well and looking Hungary for a goal. Dominating the early stages we got our reward with Awuah banging in the 13th min. Elm Grove came back but held firm and was still creating chances to double our lead. As the half went on I was hopeful we could go in 1 -0 up, but a great Elm Grove free-kick robbed us of this. The half finished 1 - 1.

After praising the team we came out looking as good as they were with a very nervy end to end game starting to take hold. We had a few chances to in front, but then disaster struck. A free-kick which ended up harmlessly rolling to GK Naughton who collected was then spoiled by our idiot of a defender Deen who fouled one of there players in the box even though he wasn't near the ball, so a penalty it was which they dispatched. So after that set back on the 65th min more pain was ahead when they got another goal from a free-kick on the 71st min. This was followed by another penalty conceded on the 77th min which they dispatched. By now they were having fun and further strikes followed in the 87th and 90 mins. One stupid mistake ruined our chances of promotion.

AFC Spelthorne 1 - 1 Shalford

A chance to ruin Spelthorne's promotion party.

Spelthorne started off well completely dominating the game. We didn't buckle though despite the dominance we was creating half-chances. The first half turned into an exhibition of watching Spelthorne attack our defence, but we held firm and went in 0 -0 at half-time.

After telling the team to keep going we came more into it in the 2nd half, which is ironically when they scored banging one in on the 53rd min to get the title party on the way. They could've added to this with some good attempts, but we came back into the game and got our equalizer on the 75th min via a free-kick. We started to dominate after this, but couldn't get the killer goal. this left us with a decent point and Spelthorne with the title.

Monthly Verdict

Gutted at that Elm Grove result, that game was on a knife edge and it wasn't the time to make a calamitous mistake like that. He had been a bit of bombshell all season so I booted him out of the club. If only Ayina hadn't been suspended I suspect things might've been different! Decent point at Spelthorne but it means nothing in the final scheme of things.

Final position was 5th with 35 points, 5 behind 2nd placed Knaphill Athletic.

Season Verdict

Well if it was a season of two halves really, first half good, second half terrible. Still the team challenged all the way for promotion and I'll be rebooting the squad for the same thing next year. The loss of Hill and Noon was a turning point of which we didn't recover, however we now have reports of some really good players I can tempt to come, so we are set for another exciting season!

AFC Spelthorne Sports went up as champions, whilst Knaphill Athletic also got promoted finishing 2nd. Well done to them. Elm Grove Senior blew it on GD, HA!

Position: 5th P 22 W 10 D 5 L 7 F 43 A 33 GD +10 Pts 35

In an amazing coincidence our record for everything is exactly the same as it was last season bar final position!

Positives

- First half of season

- Challenging for promotion

- Awauh on fine form

- Finishing above Lightwater

Negatives

- Second half of season

- Players being poached

- Dropping too many points at home

- Losing key games

Season Rating 7/10

Previous Club

Lightwater finished 6th with 33 points, we finished 1 place and 2 points better than them

Pre-Season

The players brought in during pre-season were GK Reice Charles-Cook, CB Matthew McEntegart who you may remember from my time at Lightwater. LM Orman Okuniaya, RM Lyubomir Genchev and CM Russ Ginnelly was promoted from the reserves. Then to finish off ST Dennis Knight. Unfortunately I struggled in finding a quality CM along with a LB and RB so that was disappointing, otherwise I'm happy enough with what I have. Of the players that left, only Stuart Maynard was worth mentioning, he retired.

Results:

Shalford 4 - 1 Shalford Reserves

Shalford 5 - 1 Elliott Star

Shalford 2 - 2 Old Roan

Brockworth 1 - 1 Shalford

Hayes Gate 3 - 1 Shalford

Not bad performances for pre-season. The new signings look pretty good, unfortunately Knight got injured so didn't get to see much of him, whilst Valdo is out for a few months. Roll on the new season!

August 2016

Old Salesians 1 - 2 Shalford

So after a two season-stint in the division above Old Salesians have tumbled back down to start me off with a tricky away match.

Shalford started off the game well against a team lacking confidence. We were creating chances and just narrowly missing out with Awuah being guilty of missing a few. This theme continued throughout the half as we dominated without reward and 4 yellow cards dished out to us in this half.

I praised the team at half-time and we came out still looking good, but Salesians looking better than the last half and after an end to end game Salesians took the lead on the 75th min via a corner. However the lead lasted about 40 seconds as sub Lelia charged up the pitch and forced them into an own goal. Having them clearly on the ropes now the pressure was piling and in the 2nd min of injury time Jennings crossed for debutant Genchev to head home and seal a smashing away victory!

Shalford 1 - 1 Royal Holloway Old Boys

Our first home game of the season is against one of the poorer teams of last season.

It took about 20 seconds for the 1st goal to go in Holloway banging one in to peg us back straight away. However we grew into the game and started to assert ourselves and it wasn't long till we were level Awuah banging one in on the 21st min. We continued to dominate the game and it was largely our attack against there defence till half-time came around.

After telling the team to keep believing we again came out looking good for a goal or two. Holloway threatened with half-chances, but we were the ones who dominated this half and how it stayed 1 - 1 is beyond me. Unlucky not to win this, very unlucky.

Tring Amatuer 1 - 1 Shalford

Another tricky away fixture now at a team who finished last season strongly.

We started off the game well and full of confidence and it wasn't long till we got our reward Genchev getting his 2nd of the season in the 8th min. We continued to dominate this match with Tring contributing little to the game, but just couldn't get that cushion of a 2nd goal by half-time.

So after the praising the team Tring got straight back into it making it 1 - 1 on the 46th min. Now they were the ones doing the dominating and missing some decent chances. We still created a few of our own, but in the end both teams cancelled each other out and a point a-piece it was to be.

Monthly Verdict

Not quite the storming start we had last season, but I'm happy enough with it. To win away at Old Salesians was pretty impressive and I'm sure the home wins will soon follow if we keep playing like we are. The only downside of this month was Genchev got injured for 7 weeks - 2 months. Seems to always happen to me when I get player in-form!

Current position is 4th place with 5 points, 2 points off 2nd placed Elm Grove Senior.

Archived