A Sabbatical In Shalford - FM12

fat Lion1

Previously known as: The legend of Lightwater

==============================================================================================================================================================================

So here I am again attempting another lower league challenge, this story sees me in the Surrey County Western Intermediate League Division which is level 13 in the English football League pyramid! The team I have chosen is called Lightwater United. Please take into account I'm not experienced in this story telling lark, so don't come expecting a masterpiece. Nor am I much kop on Football Manager either!

I am playing with a patch off this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/278847-OFFICIA-GASON-amp-LEGHINF-English-National-League-System-Update-Taking-FM12-to-Level-12

Lightwater United

Don't know much about the place in the real world, just a small village in Surrey with a nice country park! As for the team amateur club (surprise, surprise) founded in 1928 with no notable achievements and they play at the Lightwater Country Park which has a capacity of 300. The club is worth 1k.

Surrey County Western Intermediate League Division One

As mentioned before this is a league located in level 13 of the English pyramid with the top two teams gaining promotion to the lucrative Surrey County Western Intermediate League Premier Division, there is no relegation or county cups at this level. The league consists of 12 teams who play each other twice.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre-Season

Never been one that has been big on pre-season and I was just using this one to get to know more about my players. We won a friendly against the reserves 2 - 1, then notched up another home win against Brockworth 2 - 1. This followed with a home 3- 1 loss against Avon Rockleaze and then an 2 - 1 away win against Cottingham Rangers.

So not a bad pre-season by any stretch notable performances from my goalkeeper who appears a decent player for this level. Roll on the league campaign!

August 2011

Lightwater United 1 - 2 AFC Spelthorne Sports

So the first game of the season saw me get off to a loss, however it was a pleasing enough performance. We put on a good spell of early pressure and missed some decent chances, unfortunately they punished us big time. After a great 20 yard strike on the half hour, they scored again from a corner about 5 mins afterwards.

After a positive half-time team talk I went attacking and got one back in the 50th min via a corner, however the second just never came, but it should've. A goal in the 92nd minute was controversially ruled out and I was furious as it was well onside.

Couldn't really fault the team in this match, just didn't get the luck against a team predicted to finish 3rd.

Chobnam Burnyard 1 - 1 Lightwater United

Pretty even game this one, after what happened last game I would've liked to have bounced back with a victory, but a point is on the table now so not too bad.

We managed to get our noses in front with a goal via corner again in the 18th min, however they exerted some pressure and they also got a goal via on corner on the half hour mark.

The second half was chances for each side but nobody could make the breakthrough, so a point a piece it was.

Lightwater United 3 - 1 Old Salesians

So a home game against the form team so far, Old Salesians had won there last two games 4 - 0 and 7 - 1 respectively, so with me picking injuries up I was worried about this one.

The game started with a stroke luck as there form striker had to be taken off via injury, our team really pressed them after this and got the breakthrough on the 28th min via star striker Kane, we really should had a second before the end of the half.

A positive team-talk followed and we managed to get a second via our midfielder Louis O'Sullivan, now we were flying! However we conceded a corner in the 57th and they were back in the game... for only 3 mins! Centre-midfielder Ricky Pettefer scored to make it 3 - 1 and we saw the game out, job done.

Monthly Verdict

A mixed bag really, but to be in 5th position at the end of month isn't bad at all. I'm worried about the injuries we've picked up 5 so far, including my best GK, striker and midfielder, looks like I'll just have to weather the storm.

September 2011

Pyrford 0 - 1 Lightwater United

So fresh from our first league victory we now take on the worst form team in the league. Pyrford have only picked up a point thus far and need wins as soon as possible.

Thankfully they didn't pick up there first win against us. A game which was largely dominated by my depleted side saw replacement striker for Kane, Jay Bowen head one in from a corner in the 58th min and secure a nice 1 - 0 away victory for the team. So yet again we score from a corner and our replacement striker looks good on his first start. Bad news being we lost Dunn our defender to injury and our striker Tomkins got himself sent off, taking the injury/suspension total to 5.

Lightwater United 0 - 0 Woking & Horsell

After two successive league wins I was looking to notch up a third win and really stake a claim for a promotion place, however things didn't go to plan against mid-table Woking & Horsell.

We rode our luck at times in this match, but the chances we wasted we really should've won this match by a good 2 or 3 goals, the injuries to key players I think cost us the victory, however unbeaten in 4 and its another point not too bad.

Knaphill Athletic 1 - 2 Lightwater United

Now coming into this game Knaphill were doing very well in the league placing at 2nd having won there last three. Must admit I was skeptical of my chances without a number of first-team players.

The game started off with a lot of Knaphill pressure they must've missed 3 decent chances in the first 5 mins, however a deflection saw them go 1 - 0 up in the 9th min. We got our act together after that and created a couple of decent chances and in the 22nd min Dayle Wells our in-form left-winger smashed one in from 25 yards! Before I could even take that one in, we were 2 - 1 up! Jay Bowen pops up with a great curling strike and we really were flying now. Knaphill hit back but couldn't find an opening for the rest of the first-half.

More pressure followed in the second half, but the turning point was when the injured Bowen had to be taken off (sigh) to be replace by Maskell who broke free of there defence only to be hauled down by the last man in the box, unfortunately Wells missed the penalty, but I tightened things up and we got the unlikely victory!

Monthly Verdict

Great month. The only really black mark was the home draw, but to go away and win those two games was fantastic. Players coming back from injury now, who knows what we can achieve? Currently 4th in the league and 2 points off 2nd placed Chobham Burymead.

October 2011

Lightwater United 3 - 0 Shalford

If we are going to challenge for promotion we need to win games like these! Mid-table Shalford were up next and with key-players coming back from injury we should be favourites.

Shalford started the game well creating chances in the first 15 mins, but failing to take them. That said we were also creating our own chances and as the first half progressed we started to assert ourselves, but with nothing showing for it going into half-time.

After telling the team to keep the faith, the goals came. First up was a foul on Tomkins in the penalty area, which Wells made up for his miss last game by smashing it in this time hard and low. The momentum was with us now and they couldn't live with us, after taking Wells off due to low fitness his replacement Bartley got the second in the 65th min and then Tomkins rounded off the in the 85th min.

Great win, this was how the Woking match last month should've ended!

Ewhurst 1 - 3 Lightwater United

So two victories on the spin and unbeaten in 6, now came an away game against the team in the worst form in the league having lost there last 4. So evidently I fancied my chances with our team.

This match was about one player, Jay Bowen. We absolutely dominated these in the first-half and after missing a few chances Bowen got his goal with a low strike in the 41st min, then in added time in the first half he got another one! I had no fear about losing this game, but I was shocked when they pulled one back in the 53rd min. Also my right-back Aidan Hall got injured and I use all my subs so we had to play with 10 men, however we settled down and got the third 87th min. Another great away win!

Lightwater United 2 - 3 AFC Leatherhead

A home game against a team who were also pushing for the promotion spots. This match was disrupted by Tomkins leaving to join another club, however I brought in another striker Paul Miller and a left winger Malik to give Wells back-up.

We pretty much bossed the first-half of this match and got our goal on the 20th min through a trademark Sullivan drive. We could've had a couple more too, alas wasn't to be.

I told the team to keep going as they were at half-time, but they did anything but. My GK Thompson decided to drop a clanger from a cross come shot and once we let them back in it they took there opportunities. Another mistake by my CB Farmer who passed the ball across the 18 yard box let them in for a second and then a 25 yard free-kick finished us off in the 75th min. We did push them but didn't get anything till Miller who had been brought on as a sub popped up with a consolation in added time.

The seven game unbeaten run ends there.

Monthly Verdict

More positives than negatives that is for sure! Two wins out of three is a decent return and if we can go on unbeaten runs like we have done will not be far off the promotion places. Also nice to have a team that is injury-free which means I can play my first choice GK and CB next month, I don't think they would've cost me the three points like Farmer and Thompson did. Not fussed to see Tomkins go, decent player, but couldn't finish at all.

Currently in 4th position 3 points off Chobham Burymead who are in 2nd.

November 2011

Elm Grove Senior 1 - 1 Lightwater United

Well after that disappointing defeat to Leatherhead it was important I bounced back against mid-table Elm Grove Senior, sounds more like a School than a football team!

It was an even start to the game with my team clearly still pondering the last game. However we got in front via a beautiful half-volley by O'Sullivan and then proceeded to waste a couple of decent efforts before half-time.

In the second-half the team never looked comfortable and we were duly punished when Elm Grove scored via a whipped in free-kick headed straight into the net. Both teams had chances after that but alas it finished 1 - 1. Note we are still unbeaten away from home.

Lightwater United 1 - 1 Godalming and Farncombe Athletic

It was important to bounce back in this game, against a team who have regularly been on the receiving end of cricket scores in this league.

We started off well, creating opportunities and just generally outplaying them. The inevitable goal came on the 22nd min through new striker Miller. We really should've had more but were pretty wasteful with our efforts going into half-time.

Then the sucker punch came early in the second-half, yet again we were undone by a set-piece and a decent header made it 1 - 1. I went all out after this, threw all the subs on but they stood firm and my new left-back Charlie Harkness got himself sent off due to the last man foul. This almost cost us in the end as they missed a great chance. It finished all even and that was now 3 games without a win.

AFC Spelthorne Sports 2 - 2 Lightwater United

Now a re-match against one of the only two teams to beat me this season. I'm looking to end a winless run and gain some revenge here.

The first half of this game was the worst I have ever seen us play, we were 1 - 0 down after 4 mins and 2 - 0 down after 28 mins, just didn't get going at all. I was happy to go in 2 - 0 down by the time the half had finished!

I told the team to show me something else and shouted at a few of the players and it had the desired effect.

Initially the second-half just looked as bad as the first, but thankfully they didn't score. A change in personal in the 60th min seem to be the gamechanger and we got our break from a free-kick on 67th min via back-up right winger Jeff Lloyd. After this we looked a different team, absolutely smashed them all over the pitch, but it took till the 87 min to get something Dayle wells popping up in the area to slot home. I wouldn't have been happy with 2 - 2 at the start, but I was happy now.

Monthly Verdict

Well this month saw a hat-trick of draws, I guess its better than losing the lot! If we are going to challenge we need to hit some form as the games towards the end of the season are all winnable meaning we could be in with a real chance. This is basically half-way through the season and I am placed in 5th, 5 points off 2nd place Knaphill Athletic.

December 2011

Lightwater United 2 - 2 Chobnam Burymead

So a tasty looking home game against the team top of the league and having won there last 4 games. A win against these would do my chances of promotion a world of good.

Both teams started well enough, both missed a good chance. However we were the ones who got in front through Bowen on the 9th min. I then switched from standard to attacking and unfortunately it cost us, they got behind the defense and slotted home on the 14th min. The momentum was with them now as they dominated for the remaining half and I thought I would go in level, however they got behind my defence again and made it 2 - 1 just before half-time.

I basically told the team at Half-time to take the game to them and they did just that. Bowen popped on the hour mark with another goal to add to his growing collection. Was end to end after that with neither being able to get that breakthrough. So the team recorded there fourth consecutive score draw.

Old Salesians 0 - 2 Lightwater United

Another team up there in league table was Old Salesians, however I felt if they beat us in this our promotion chances were all but over!

They started well enough and controversially had a goal ruled out for offside which looked on to me, not complaining mind! We couldn't really get into the game until near the end of the half, Salesians really should've gone into half-time winning.

I told the team to just keep going and then this is where things got good in the second-half. After withstanding a lot of pressure we eased into the game and on the 68th min Miller pops up with a goal so I went from counter-attacking to defensive. They hammered at our defense but couldn't get through and on the 91st min we got another one via left-winger Malik, perfect example of smash and grab.

Lightwater United P-P Pyrford

Game cancelled due to heavy snow at the ground.

Monthly Verdict

Decent month. I feel we should've beat Chobnam, but the win against Old Salesians has put us back into it. Sadly O'Sullivan left to join another club, but his replacement Gary Ball had a decent game v Salesians. A club of our size has to rely on the scouting system and I've got a number of reports back now for potential players.

We are currently in 5th place, 3 points off 2nd place Old Salesians having played a game less.

January 2012

Lightwater United 5 - 3 Knaphill Athletic

After our brilliant victory last game it was time to follow it up with another win to really challenge for promotion.

We started off brilliantly in this game, I went all out attack and they sure felt it, we went 1 - 0 up on the 7th min via Wells and then both my Wingers combined for Lloyd to head in the second 2 - 0 up on the 20th min, however midfielder Ball was sent off for a two-footed challenge. This initially didn't change the complex of the game, but just before half-time they got there goal and we went in 2 - 1 up.

After a positive team talk and sacrificing striker Bowen for midfielder Smith, the second half started badly they equalized. A very open game ensued after this, but it was us with 10 men who went ahead via right-back Andreou on the 68th min. Not ahead for long mind 3 mins last they were back in it 3 - 3! The end to end contest continued as my new first choice right-winger Lloyd scored again to make it 4 - 3. I tightened things up big time after this and they couldn't get through and Wells finished the contest in the 92 min. Brilliant win at home where we haven't been performing well as of late.

Lightwater United 1 - 2 Pyrford

Now this re-scheduled game came only 3 days after our last game so I had to completely change the squad due to fitness issues. Pyrford have picked since we last played them firing up the table and now in 7th place having only lost 2 in there last 7 games.

Not much happened in the opening minutes, until Pyrford scored. We found ourselves 1 - 0 down in the 9th min, albeit not for long parity was restored in the 12th min via back up light-winger Malik. We started to apply some pressure after this, but just couldn't take advantage and went into half-time 1 - 1.

Pyrford started the better of the two teams at half-time as my second string started to be overrun. Pyrford were rewarded in the 55th min and this prompted me to throw on a few first teamers, however Pyrford stood firm and disappointingly for us, took the three points.

Woking and Horsell 6 - 0 Lightwater United

So after a bit of a gap between matches I could play my first-team again and if we won this we would be well in the promotion mix, if only. A team meeting happened prior to this game, didn't go well and I wonder if it had an effect on this match.

We started terribly. It only took 4 mins for them to break us down via a well struck free-kick and it only took another 10 mins for them to score again 2 - 0. We didn't show any fight after this and they were still pressing us and the third goal came on the 37th min. So going into half-time we were 3 - 0 down after the worst performance of my tenure.

After blasting the team at half-time, it didn't do much good. The 49th min brought the fourth goal, then a penalty in the 56th min brought the fifth goal. After bringing on some subs we started to actually get a foothold in the game, however too little too late and they scored via a corner in the 91st min. Destroyed.

Monthly Verdict

Well it started off well with that great home win against a promotion rival, however I wasn't confident about Pyrford, but the Woking result was a disgrace. I'll make sure heads will roll after that debacle. I think as far as promotion goes thats all over, just focus on finishing as high up as possible now with a favorable few games left. Shame to lose our unbeaten away record in that manner.

The table stands with us in 4th position, 4 points off 2nd placed AFC Leatherhead.

February 2012

Shalford 3 - 0 Lightwater United

So after that terrible previous game, an away match against a Shalford team who have struggled all season.

This match started just as bad as the last. We couldn't get anywhere near them and eventually paid for it, three fold. First on the 23rd min our second keeper Thompson decides to parry a simple shot straight to there striker 1 - 0. Then shortly after on the 29th min they scored and on the 33th min they make it 3 - 0. We wasn't even that far behind in the last game at this stage.

I gave the team a roasting at half-time, but it didn't really have much effect we made a few chances, but it was too late.

Monthly Verdict

Just the one game this month and not a very good one either. I've achieved my aim of respectable finish and we are just seeing out the season now. 4 games left, hopefully have a strong finish.

Currently in 6th position 7 points off second place AFC Leatherhead.

March 2012

Lightwater United 3 - 3 Ewhurst

So the search for a victory continues with a home against struggling Ewhurst.

Ewhurst started off well and like recent games we looked out of it and they were rewarded with a goal on the 8th min. We had a few chances this half, but looked second best to them who were leading 1 - 0 going into half-time.

After yet another roasting at half-time we came out a different side. Smith scored a beautifully worked goal on the 50th min to make it 1 - 1. However Ewhurst were not going to roll over and took the lead again on the 56th min. Then came our chance to strike back a cross deflected in made it 2 - 2 and very much game on. Just when it looked like we might win this, they scored again via a corner on the 67th min. Everytime we looked like gettin somewhere they scored. We wasn't done yet tho, substitute Kane got one for us on the 74th min and this time we managed to shut them out. We could've won the game as we had penalty Ravenhill missed on the 90th min mark. Shame we didn't win, but we stopped the rot.

AFC Leatherhead 1 - 0 Lightwater United

Must admit I am jealous of AFC Leatherhead, 2nd place and looking good for promotion, however I planned to throw a spanner in the works.

Very scrappy start to the game this one. They had more of the ball and the chances, but we were creating chances too. Nobody took there chances going into half-time.

They were missing some good chances in the second-half and I thought we would do to them what we did to Old Salesians, alas not to be, they took the lead on the 67th min. We threw everything we could at them, but they held firm and look odds-on for promotion now.

Monthly Verdict

Well its becoming a very dour end to the season. Glad we showed some spirit in the home and I'll be glad to see the back of Leatherhead, two games left now against struggling teams, hope we can go out on a positive note.

Currently in position 7th place, 12 points off 2nd place AFC Leatherhead.

April 2012

Lightwater United 2 - 0 Elm Grove Senior

Surely the win would finally come in this the last home game of the season?

We started off well, putting them on the backfoot almost instantly and should've been 2 - 0 up by the half hour mark, story of our season I guess! However the goal came on the 33rd min via makeshift midfielder Bartley. Into half-time we went 1 - 0 up.

After telling the team to keep at it the 47th min brought a red card, yet again my left-back Harkness was sent off. The referee was card happy in this game with 4 yellows and a red between the two teams thus far. I jigged around with the formation a bit and it had the desired effect. Ravenhill striking on the 67th min and putting us 2 - 0 up. We should've won by 4 or 5, but I'll take this. First win in 5.

Godalming and Farncombe Athletic 3 - 3 Lightwater United

The last game the season presented an away game against the team bottom of the league.

Godalming started very well for a team bottom of the league going 1 - 0 up on the 7th min, it wasn't for long tho as Kane popped up with a goal on the 11min, brilliant chipped strike. An end to end contest ensured but it would be Godalming who went ahead with not one but two goals walking through our defense on the 37th and 42nd mins.

Disappointed with that I made some subs and roasted the team at half-time. They came out on fire really pegging Godalming back and we were rewarded on the 59th min with a long-ranger Miller strike. We clearly smelt blood and then equaliser followed Kane knocking in his second and now it was time to go for the winner. However it didn't come so I was disappointed not to win, but a good game to end the season on no doubt.

Monthly Verdict

So it was relatively moderate end to the season, least I finally got the win and stopped the away rot.

Final position was 6th place 15 points behind champions Chobnam Burymead and 11 behind 2nd place AFC Leatherhead, congratulations to both of them.

Season Verdict

Well my debut season certainly started out well and I genuinely thought we would be closer to promotion than we ended up. It was a season of two halves really, first half great, second half not so great. However I have learned from this and we will come back stronger. There was no danger of me getting sacked as I met my objective of respectable position finish.

A lot of these players will be shipped off, my scout has plenty of reports back now so I can get cracking with that. Up the Lightwater United!

Position: 6th P 22 W 8 D 8 L 6 F 38 A 36 GD +2 Pts 32

Positives

- Meeting my objective

- First half of the season

- Away unbeaten run

- Discovering Dayle Wells and Reece Kane, quality players

Negatives

- Capitulating in the second half of season

- Too many under performing players

- Players being poached

- Losing 6 - 0 to Woking

Season Rating: 6/10

Lion I must say this is a very good and easy read. Loving the quick match reports and monthly summary. Very tempted to follow suit if I decide on doing a new career story on FM13 when I get it

Pre-Season

As promised the overhaul of the squad began. A new GK was brought in 38 year old Ross Standen, a CB and a LB Aussie Matthew McEntegart and Scotsman Grant Howarth. Just the one major change in midfield, bringing Craig Rydeheard and then a back-up utility winger in Andrew McColm. To finish off I brought in experienced striker Brian Quailey who hailed from the Caribbean island of St Kitts and Nevis!

My pre-season match began against the reserves, would've like to see us win obviously but not too fussed we went down 2 - 1. Then a home match against Elliott Star drew a stalemate, however a 5 - 3 against Brockworth Albion was a pre-season tonic. Then two defeats followed at home against Avon Rockleaze 2 - 1 and another 2 - 1 away at Old Roan.

Not too fussed about the defeats, the team looks good to go and I'm anticipating a solid season.

August 2012

Ewhurst 1 - 2 Lightwater United

Having got off to a defeat last season, I was determined to not suffer the same fate away at Ewhurst.

The match started off pretty tame, with no chances really being created by either, that was till we got a corner in the 12th min. Brilliant whipped by Rydeheard, in comes Sam Green bang 1 - 0. Pleased with this as I brought in Rydeheard due to his set-piece prowess. The game continued in the same manner not much being showed by the home side and we seemed content to sit back going into half-time.

A positive team talk followed and I told the team to keep going as they were, however we really invited Ewhurst on to us and it was amazing it took them till the 77th min to score. Looking like a score-draw right-back Andreou put in a peach cross for debutant McColm to smash in. We stole all three points!

Lightwater United 1 - 0 Woking and Horsell

Now I had only one thing on my mind going into this game: Revenge. That 6 -0 hurt me and I was determined to beat them this time.

Woking settled in well and created some chances, which last season's top scorer Davies wasted. We started to take control and got our Reward via a well worked goal between Howarth and Kane. We started to assert ourselves after this and they were lucky to be behind by just the one at half-time.

I told the team to keep at it and they did just that, however Woking were really coming into the game. Overall we both missed good chances, thankfully it didn't cost us as much as it cost them! Revenge, secured.

Monthly Verdict

Fantastic month. Two tricky games and to come away with maximum points is a great feeling. The new players making an impact too was nice to see, just hope they don't get poached. Top of the tree, but long way to go yet.

Current position 1st place, 2 points in front of 2nd placed AFC Spelthorne Sports.

September 2012

Lightwater United 3 - 2 Knaphill Athletic

Time to keep up this perfect start to the season and make it three out of three.

We started off full of confidence and the goal came within 3 mins a fumbled own goal by Knaphill's keeper. Boosted by that goal we took complete control of the game, but didn't add to our goal tally going in 1 - 0 up at half-time.

After praising the team, we soon added to our goal tally, experienced striker Quailey banging one in, surely that was game over? Well if you've been reading this story all way through you can never trust my teams with anything. Almost straight after we scored there talented striker Norris bangs one in and not soon after they bang another one in on the 68th min, now i'm worried. Clearly spurred on by that they missed two great chances to get what would be a winner. I decided to overload and go for it and in the 4th min off added we was rewarded, a nicely whipped in free-kick headed in by McEntegart, game over!

Old Salesians 1 - 1 Lightwater United

Surprisingly old Salesians have had a bad start to this campaign collecting just two points so will be looking to get one over us.

It was a decent start by both teams with Salesians enjoying most of the possession and the goal came 13 mins in, sloppy one for us to concede. They weren't leading for long as we got one back via Kane in the 24th min and then started to assert ourselves. So going into it was 1 - 1.

I told the team they were capable of winning this, but it was more Salesians who looked likely to win it. In the end I was glad to come away with the point, 10 points on the board still unbeaten can't complain about that.

Lightwater United 0 - 4 Godalming and Farncombe Athletic

Sadly our solid as rock defender Sam Green was poached by another club and this disrupted our plans going into a home game against last season's bottom club.

Nightmare of a start. It took them all of 2 mins to score and then our midfielder Rydeheard decided to act the clown and got himself sent off for a two-footed tackle. They really started to run riot now, but didn't score which ment we started to get back into the game at half-time.

A positive team-talk and a tactical switch seem to do the trick and on the 48th min we got a penalty, which Bartley duly smashed over the bar. We still looked good for a goal and missed a few decent chances which came back to haunt us. There midfielder Cox had been running riot for a while now and popped up with the death blow on the 77th, set up one on the 85th and got another on the 90th min. So in the end we didn't deserve to lose by as many as we did. Fair play to them and we move on.

Shalford 5 - 1 Lightwater United

So after that terrible game it was time to bounce back against mid-table Shalford.

We both started off okay, creating chances unfortunately for us we didn't have a recognized midfielder. They punished us on the 22nd min via Warner to go 1 - 0 up, then some hope came our way there player sent off for a last min foul. However this seem to work in there favour as they went 2 - 0 Warner again just before half-time.

I roasted the team at half-time and we did look better, for a time. They finished it off on the 65th min and McColm got injured and I used all my subs, so I had 10 men too. Quailey got one back on the 79th min, but they went on and scored two more. Another nightmare in Shalford!

Monthly Verdict

Well it all looked so bright at the start of the month, not so much now. Be under no illusions this is one tough league where anybody can literally beat anybody. It is now my job to make sure we get back to winning ways and fast. I replaced Sam Green with 41 year old defender Steve Jones.

Current position 4th place, 2 points off 2nd placed Unis Old Boys.

October 2012

Lightwater United 0 - 2 Unis Old Boys

I've always liked games against relegated teams, so my first match against Unis Old Boys presented this and a chance to arrest this slide.

We started brightly creating chances and putting them on the back foot and I was positive we would score, unfortunately it was they who did. A corner sucker punched us and put them 1 - 0 up. We didn't lose our heads after this setback we kept plugging away and went into half-time 1 - 0 down.

After motivating the team we again proceeded to dominate and just like the first half they scored via a corner and went 2 - 0 up. I threw everything at them but they stood firm. Cruel result.

Elm Grove Senior 3 - 1 Lightwater United

Things are looking bleak at the moment and I'm desperate to get back to winning way, a nice away victory here would do this.

We started off well in the first 10 mins, creating chances and just missing them. Frustratingly we conceded from a corner and the keeper was at fault, I was fuming. We wasn't down for long however some good work from Left-back Sambrook and Kane finished put us 1 - 1 going into half-time.

I told the team to keep at it, but unfortunately they got one straight after half-time putting us 2 - 1 down. They started to dominate this game and we struggled to cope, but I didn't expect them to score how they did. A long range drive was parried into the net by our keeper, pathetic. We went on to lose the game 3 - 1.

Monthly Verdict

A pretty rubbish month to be fair, things are looking bleak but I'm sure I'll turn it around. Looks like I might have to revise my personal target to respectable finish like the board want. Another month like this and I might be out of a job! The 42 year old keeper was booted out of the club and another one Nathan Dean 21 year old was brought in. Also like to mention our midfielder Gary Ball, he played 3 games for us then struck down with a viral infection which put him out for 10 - 12 months. After sticking by him, he left to join another club, pfft!

Current position is 8th place with 10 points, 4 points off 2nd placed Unis Old Boys.

November 2012

Lightwater United 1 - 2 AFC Spelthorne Sports

Having lost my last 4 and being in the worst losing run I've had at this club, its time to arrest this streak against Spelthorne.

We started off well like a team wanting to prove a point and we got on our way in the 16th min with Kane banging one in. However this seem to stop the good play and they started to take over and were soon level with a great strike from 25 yards looping over our debutant keeper. The momentum continued for them and they went 2 - 1 up in the 37th min, however just before half-time there striker got sent off for a last man foul, game on.

So after a motivational team-talk we came out looking the business, but with no end product. More than happy to contain us Spelthorne saw out the game despite our chances. The streak continues.

Pyrford 2 - 0 Lightwater United

Pyrford are doing well in the league this year, 4th place and looking good for possible shot of promotion.

Pyrford dominated the start of this game went ahead via the bane of our season thus far, the corner. We couldn't touch em and they were having chances galore I was thankful it was just 1 - 0 going into half-time.

I told them team to play at a higher tempo and this followed a 10 min period of us in control, however we didn't capitalize on this and they got another one via a Sambrook own goal, 2 - 0. Game over.

Lightwater United 0 - 3 Milford & Witley

This is getting a bit ridiculous now, 6 games and lost the lot of em, so could a home game against relegated Milford & Witley get us going?

Just like last game the opposition dominated, but we paid for it much sooner this time round. 2 goals in the 13th and 16th min instantly put us on the back foot. We wasn't creating anything and then just before half-time they struck us down via the old foe, the corner.

Now much I could say at half-time apart from roast the team. We did okay this half, looked more urgent, created more chances. Nothing came from it though and it was all too little, too late. 7 games lost in a row, a league record.

Monthly Verdict

It just seems to be getting worse and worse doesn't it? Well I've brought in a new CM and striker Ryan Williams and Paddy Dean, also a new right-back Ryan Betts. Whilst doing this I've promoted McColm to right-winger, Ravenhill has has enough chances now. A meeting with the board regarding how my team was performing didn't go too well and my job security is insecure at 37% could this be the end?

My current position is 11th with 10 points, 10 points off 2nd placed Unis Old Boys

December 2012

Lightwater United 4 - 0 Ewhurst

So here it was, make or break. Lose this game and chances are it was avante for my time here at Lightwater United, no pressure! Let the battle of the bottom two commence.

We started off brightly and not like a team who had lost there last seven and on the 13th min Smith banged one in. The pressure continued and Ewhurst were starting to buckle and we scored on the 39th min via Kane. Just before half-time they missed a great chance which could've changed the complex of the game.

After praising the team we came out just as determined as before, albiet Ewhurst had a few more chances. We had to wait to the 76th min for the next goal, our youth product Jerahl Scarborough heading in from a corner, then Quailey finished it off 4 mins later. What a time to record my biggest victory since joining the team.

Woking & Horsell 2 - 1 Lightwater United

Just what the doctor didn't order. After recording a long overdue victory up came an away fixture against the run-away leaders of the division.

Woking started off the better of the two teams and were unlucky not to score in the first 15 mins, however it was all change after that. Clearly buoyed from the last match we started to show the type of team we can be creating decent efforts and just when I was about to praise the team for there great work, bang. They score in added time from a corner.

Despite the setback I told the team to keep believing and we were matching Woking all the way. Unfortunately they scored again on the 52nd min and that realistically put curtains to any comeback I felt. Still we plugged away and scored in the second min of injury time. So a loss it was, but a good performance.

Knaphill Athletic 0 - 0 Lightwater United

Another away fixture now at mid-table Knaphill, victory here could set up a decent end to the season.

Game of two halves really, they dominated first, we dominated second. Best chances occured towards the end of the first half with Knaphill missing some pretty easy attempts on goal. Whilst we were just as wasteful but probably were the better team, if only we had another striker like Kane we would bang them in.

Monthly Verdict

So I live to fight another day. I'm pretty sure losing against Ewhurst would've been the end for me, but we thrashed them and fight on. Its time for me to bring in some reinforcements, I aint out of the woods yet, not by a long shot.

Current position is 12th with 14 points 13 points off 2nd placed Unis OB.

January 2013

Lightwater United 0 - 1 Old Salesians

So the meeting between two teams tipped to be more near the promotion spots than the bottom, this presents a chance to salvage something from there respective disappointing seasons.

Lightwater started off well settling in and creating chances within the first 15 mins, unfortunately we didn't take any of these and Salesians began to settle into the match too. We drifted off towards the end of the half and Salesians made us pay, 1 - 0 down on the 35th min. It remained this scoreline at half-time.

I told the team to go out and show there worth, but all I saw a pretty toothless second half. Salesians should've won this by 3 or 4 more goals, we move on.

Godalming and Farncombe 0 - 0 Lightwater United

So talks about my employment were started to do the rounds again before this match, a loss here and it could be goodbye.

Again we started off brightly in this match and should've been 1 or 2 goals to the good by time the half hour mark came round. Godalming had one decent effort, but we were far the better team going into half-time.

I told the team to keep at it and the second half was slighty more even. We still had chances, but just wasn't converting them into goals. In the end it was a decent point and I'll probably keep my job because of it, least for now.

Lightwater United 3 - 1 Shalford

Shalford have dropped a long way since they hammered us 5 - 1. Having lost there last five surely the team wouldn't mess this one up?

Shalford certainly looked like a team who had lost there last five as we dominated the opening proceedings and yet again without reward. As half-time drew nearer Shalford showed glimpses of what they can do with old foe Warner having a couple of efforts.

My positive team talk was rewarded as in the 48th min, Ravenhill chipped one over the keeper from the edge of the box to put us 1 - 0 up. We looked nervous after this though and the inviting pressure inevitably produced a goal. So 1 - 1 it was with Shalford looking the more likely to score made me gamble and go into overload, which paid off. First our new youth produce Ben Vickers scored a cross come shot in the 81st min and then Bowen finished them off in injury time. Relief all round then as Shalford were sent packing.

Monthly Verdict

I believe things are starting to look up. The loss against Salesians aside we have looked decent defensively and should've won against Godalming. Hopefully this Shalford victory proves to be a tonic for a strong finish, might just need one to save my job! Sadly Rydeheard left the club and in came 32 YO CM Craig Sims to steady the midfield.

Current position is 11th with 14 points, 18 off 2nd placed Unis Old Boys

February 2013

Unis Old Boys 1 - 0 Lightwater United

These games get no easier, now is a fixture against Unis Old Boys who along with Woking are comfortable in the promotion spots, a win against us could seal there promotion.

Unis started well. They knocked the ball around were dominating possession, but not much in the way of chances. Us on the other hand had a few decent shots via Bowen, but nothing came of them. The invitable goal came for them on the 35th min, good work between there strike partnership. We had to hold them off till half-time which we succeeded in doing.

I told the team to believe and they certainly took heed of these words, we created a few chances in the second-half just didn't take them. Unis looked good for another goal tho, but that also didn't come. There victory saw them gain promotion and instant return to the Surrey Intermediate Premier. For me however the pressure was back on, but I'm happy with the team's effort.

Monthly Verdict

I always seem to get the impossible fixtures after a decent result, so not much to report this month. Lost both our left wingers to injury so I promoted youth product Carl Helmsley. Big two months coming which will see if I continue in this role, 4 games left!

Current positon 12th with 14 points, 20 points off 2nd placed Woking.

March 2013

Lightwater United 1 - 3 Elm Grove Senior

So very much make or break in these next 4 games and up comes Elm Grove Senior at home.

Both teams started sluggish for the first 10 mins, but the match soon came to life and it was us who took the lead on the 29th min to joyous scenes. However these didn't last too long as Elm Grove asserted some pressure and we crumbled. They scored twice in five mins, very frustrating going into half-time 2 - 1 down.

After encouraging the team, we started off well and created some chances, but like so much this season we failed to take them. There inevitable goal came and with that the match was virtually over, we threatened but didn't get anything. Disappointing to say the least.

AFC Spelthorne Sports 3 - 1 Lightwater United

So after the nightmare of Elm Grove, came a tricky away fixture against Spelthorne.

We started off badly, just a team that looks void of confidence or ideas and this showed within 15 mins we were 2 -0 down. This did spring us into life and we actually started to play a bit, but couldn't get one back before half-time.

After roasting the team we missed a golden chance to get back into the tie and was punished, 3 - 0 down with 55 mins played. With the tie being virtually over we pulled one back via Lloyd, but it was all too little, too late.

Monthly Verdict

Well I think its safe to say I won't be at this club next season, got two matches left spread over two months so I'll just see them out and hope for a miracle.

Current position is 12th on 18 points. 21 points behind 2nd placed Woking who got promoted.

April 2013

Lightwater United 3 - 3 Pyrford

So my final home game sees me take on high-placed Pyrford.

We looked decent at the start of this game and Pyrford were fortunate not to be a goal or two down. As the half progressed they started to get a foothold in the game and despite our good half we went in 1 - 0 down, Pyrford scoring on the 44th min.

I told the team to keep at it and we was rewarded instantly a great cross by Quailey finished off by Jones. Jones went from hero to villain as on the 66th min he gave away a penalty which was duly converted and then shoddy defending put them 3 - 1 up on the 69th minute. I just went to overload and eventually made the pressure pay and got a goal back via Ravenhill on the 77th min. We nearly got pegged back again however, but fortune favored us this game and we forced an error out of there keeper and got our equalizer. Great game.

Monthly Verdict

Doubt that entertaining draw did much to help my chances of keeping the job with my stability now at 25% still I enjoyed that match.

Current position is 12th with 19 points, 12 behind 2nd placed Woking.

May 2013

Milford & Witley 0 - 0 Lightwater United

So the curtain was drawing and the last game of the season ensued.

We dominated possession in the first half and Milford could hardly touch us. But as you might've guessed we didn't score and went into half-time goalless.

The second half Milford were a bit better, but we still dominated, however the last 30 mins turned into a dour affair with two teams who's managers were likely to be sacked.

Monthly Verdict

It would've been nice to end what was likely my last game on a high, but not to be. See next post for my season verdict.

Season Verdict

Will what a disaster this season has been. After a confident start winning our first three games I thought promotion was on the cards. I blame myself first and foremost, but we have been hindered by our best players being poached, underperforming strikers and bad signings.

I hope I get another chance as I can turn this mess around, but its unlikely.

The two teams who got promoted were Unis Old Boys who finished 1st with 46 points and Woking who finished 2nd with 42 points, well done to them.

Position: 12th P 22 W 5 D 5 L 12 F 23 A 39 GD -16 Pts 20

Positives

- The first month of the season

- The 4 -0 victory over Ewhurst

- Kane's development

- Beating Woking

Negatives

- Finishing bottom

- Not getting a decent keeper

- Rubbish strikers bar Kane

- Away record

Season Rating: 2/10

May 6th 2013

Lightwater United Sack Manager

So as predicted I got the boot, however do not fear as the show must go on! I'm looking now for a new job with a club in the same division. The intention always was to take one club as far as I possibly can, no jumping ship or anything. Unfortunately that club won't be Lightwater United.

I'll be back!

22nd May 2013

Shalford Hire New Manager

Told you it wouldn't be long! So I decided to punt on Shalford as my new adventure. If you've been following this story carefully you'll know that they are in the same division as Lightwater.

As far this thread is concerned I'll have to change the title, but the story continues here.

Here is to a more successful experience!

Shalford

Founded in 1902, Shalford are an amateur English Club worth £500 currently playing in the Surrey Country Western Intermediate Football League Division One. The club play their games at Shalford Park which has a capacity of 250. They possess fairly basic training facilities and very basic youth facilities. The club also has basic junior coaching and a limited youth recruitment network. They have never won a competition, but are having their best spell of success this decade.

Shalford have finished 10th and 11th in the league since this story started.

No need to explain the division we are in as its the same as Lightwater's.

Pre-Season

So it was time to get my first pre-season underway with the team, I like to give all of the players at the club a chance so I only really kicked out two bad goalkeepers and a striker. I brought in McColm and Sims from Lightwater. Along with a Kiwi GK Luke Naughton, RB Andy Lindegaard, RB Madagascan Lantonirina Raharison and Colombian center midfielder Steve Guaje-Velandia.

Pre-Season Results:

Shalford 2 - 1 Shalford Resvers

Shalford 1 - 1 Brockworth

Shalford 3 - 4 Avon Rockleaze

Shalford 2 - 3 Old Roan

Cottingham Rangers 3 - 3 Shalford

So not so much in the way of wins during pre-season, however it was entertaining and I like the look of our striker Leon King. Not so much impressed with our GKs hence why I brought in the Kiwi Naughton.

August 2013

Shalford 1 - 1 AFC Spelthorne Sports

So my first match is against a team who I also started my first match against when at Lightwater.

Was a cagey first-half with both teams creating few chances, but us edging it in terms of possession. We need to up the tempo a bit and there would be goals for us in this one.

I told the team to improve at half-time and they just that. However the reward of a goal didn't come till King headed in a misjudged cross by the keeper, I thought we go on to seal victory. Unfortunately they struck back in the 80th min with a decent cross from a free-kick. I went for the victory, but it didn't come. Not the worst of starts though.

Knaphill Athletic 3 - 3 Shalford

Next up was a trip to Knaphill who had beaten Lightwater in there first game of the season.

Disappointing start for us, they were dominating and couldn't get near them. The goal for them came on the 24th a good strike from outside the box. However we got back into it and our strike was even better for the build-up play anyway, cutting through them with good passing for King to finish in the 37th min.

I told the team to pick up at half-time and we did, but it still looked like Knaphill would score the next one, but a great corner by Sims was bulleted in by CB Anthony Burton on the 62nd min. That didn't last for long as they got one back in the 66nd min via our slack defending. Then on came the 75th min and they took the lead with a decent strike. Fearing the worst I just went for it and our back-up striker Mike Remnant came up with the goods on the 87th min to make it 3 - 3 and we held on for a fortunate away draw.

Shalford 1 - 1 Surrey University

Home game now against recently relegated Surrey University. They had started brightly in this league winning there first two games.

What a start by us, we made them know they were in for a game. We were all over them and creating decent chances one of which we took on the 18th min via left-winger Will Piscina. Surrey were a bit better after this but we still looked in control and i was disappointed not to go in 2 up.

After praising the team at half-time things stayed the same as after the first goal, but unfortunately this time Surrey got one, good work by there strikers on the 73rd min. We couldn't find the winner and neither could they so a point it was for both teams and showing Surrey University what this division is really about!

Monthly Verdict

So a month of draws. Happy with the Knaphill draw, but the other two could easily have been wins. As long as we keep showing the fight we have been doing this month we should have a pretty solid season.

Current position is 8th place with 3 points, 4 behind 2nd placed Knaphill Athletic.

September 2013

Godalming & Farncombe Athletic 0 - 0 Shalford

So the search for the first victory goes on at Godalming who've had a mixed start to the season.

We started well in this game and that was the tone for the entire half, we kept the ball well, created chances, but just didn't stick it into the back of the net.

After a positive team talk at half-time I felt surely we would score? But nothing came Godalming missed a decent chance, but apart from that we dominated, but just didn't score.

Shalford 1 - 1 Elm Grove Senior

Elm Grove Senior have had a good start to the season so this match should prove tough, but winnable.

They started off well and put us on the back foot, there dominance was rewarded too on the 20th minute with a scrappy goal from a corner. We created seldom chances and they look comfortable going 1 - 0 up into half-time.

I roasted the team and it had the desired effect, that man King banged one in from 25 yards on the 50th min to put us back into the game. We started to assert ourselves, but we just lacked the edge to finish our chances and it nearly cost us when they missed a chance at the death. Another draw.

Ewhurst 0 - 0 Shalford

Ewhurst were scapping near the foot of the table coming into this game, so maybe we can pick up our first win here?

It was a very dull to start to the game with both teams cancelling each other out. We started to take control, but for all the possession we wasn't creating chances, but neither were they.

After telling the team to keep going Ewhurst started off well, but we held firm. I made some subs on the hour mark to try and get us going, but we just stifled each other right to the death. Not a classic by any stretch.

Monthly Verdict

Draws, draws and more draws. Since I'm an optimist I can see it as still unbeaten, but we need to register a win at least next month just stay on the safe side. I boosted the team by bringing in Right-Winger Cape Verdi Jose Tavares, Lesthoian striker Teele Lelia and Scottish left-winger Scott Gordon due to Piscina picking up an injury.

Current position is 7th place with 6 points, 8 behind 2nd placed Knaphill Athletic

October 2013

Shalford 0 - 2 Lightwater United

So here it is, the match I've been waiting for a game against my old club and chance of redemption. Would be perfect to get my first win against these.

Shalford started off well, putting them on the back foot and creating decent efforts. Lightwater started to get into the game round about the half hour mark and squandered a good chance. We still looked good for a goal mind, but then they got a corner and bang they went 1 - 0 up.

I just told the team they were unlucky and we hadn't not been so long into the second half when Ravenhill pops up with another for them, really frustrating. The team were still playing well and creating chances, but we just couldn't find a way passed there keeper who had a fantastic game. In the end it was a very disappointing defeat.

Wormley Rovers Reserves 2 - 2 Shalford

Now let me explain something to you quickly about this level of football. Certain teams stick there reserves in this level and Wormley Rovers have done this. The reserve side are currently rock bottom of the league.

Wormley started off the better team and we looked void of confidence. There goal came on the 28th min and it kicked us into action, just narrowly missing some chances going into half-time 1 - 0 down.

After roasting the team we came out looking better for it. However despite our domination we would have to wait till the 76th min when sub striker Rammant whipped in a great cross for King to finish. We pushed after this for a winner, but just couldn't get through, then the nightmare scenario occured. A free-kick whipped in by them in the 4th min of added time resulted in a goal for them, surely that was it? I dunno how we ended up in the 97th min, but we did and we got our goal another great cross by Rammant and King finishing nicely. Still I wanted to win here.

Old Salesians 4 - 1 Shalford

Old Salesians are absolutely dominating this league. Having won 7 of there last 8 games it would take some special for us to beat them.

Salesians started very well and it wasn't long till the goal came on the 9th min through a clinical strike. However we fought back forced an error from there keeper with Gordon crossing in for King to tap home in the 12th min. We looked quite decent after this and I thought we would at least give them a game, but when they scored a free-kick on the 28th min from 30 yards, you know its just not going be your day.

I told the team they were unlucky at half-time and maybe we should've got another goal in this half. However when you're as clinical as these were it is was always going to be hard, the goals came on the 60th and 86th mins. 4 shots on target and 4 goals.

Monthly Verdict

Bad month. Desperately gutted to lose to Lightwater and to even drop points against Wormley was embarrassing . I expected to lose against Salesians if I'm honest they are romping this league. The search for victory continues.

Current position is: 9th place with 7 points, 13 behind 2nd placed Knaphill Athletic

November 2013

Shalford 5 - 1 Milford & Witley

After a bad month, I was desperate to register our first win of the season, but Milford who were near the top of the table should prove hard opposition.

The team shot out of the ranks and really put Milford on the back foot. It wasn't long till we were 1 - 0 up a great strike from King and then came another goal. Sims smashed one in from distance to put us 2 -0 up within 10 mins. We didn't shy away and kept going and the third goal arrived with Lelia making the most of some shoddy defending on the 21st min. They had a few half chances, but nothing to really shout about and we went in 3 -0 up at half-time.

After praising the team at half-time, Milford got one back straight away to make it 3 -1. I was weary that a team with our confidence could blow this, but Burton eased these fears on the 57th min with a great header from a Lindgaard free-kick. Then after Milford missed a couple of chances Lelia scored the final goal on the 83rd min, 5 - 1. Who would've seen this coming? Finally got my first win.

Pyrford 2 - 0 Shalford

So after a fantastic victory, could we follow it up with another win at Pyrford?

We came out nothing like the team that just hammered Milford. Pyrford were dominating us and we couldn't do much to stop them. However we did miss a good chance on the half hour mark and paid for it when Pyrford scored on the 38th min.

I roasted the team at half-time, but we still looked toothless and the inevitable goal came for them on the 55th min. I tried to shake things up using subs, but it wasn't happening for us and we slumped to another away defeat.

AFC Spelthorne Sports 2 - 1 Shalford

Another away trip to a ground I hate, maybe I can pick up my first away win here?

Again we came out looking rubbish away from home. Spelthorne were all over us and they broke up down on the 20th min mark. We just wasn't creating anything and just before half-time they got another to put us 2 -0 down.

I roasted the team, but nothing really changed and it could've been 3 or 4. Things changed when I brought McColm on and he got us a goal on the 71st min and we actually threatened them after this throwing everything at them, but Remmnant went and got himself sent off on the 81st min, it would've been unfair on them had we got something. Wouldn't have complained mind!

Monthly Verdict

Great start to the month with that 5 - 1 victory, but too many negative points at the moment. Firstly our away form is terrible and I'm going to experiment with new tactics as it really needs to change. Secondly I lost decent players during this month, Sims, Lindegaard and McColm all departed with the former two being big blows.

Current position is 11th place with 10 points, 11 behind 2nd placed Knaphill Athletic

December 2013

Shalford 0 - 2 Knaphill Athletic

Well it was back to home now against 2nd placed Knaphill Athletic who had last there two games.

It was a poor start by Shalford, nothing like the last home game and we found ourselves conceding the customary early goal 1 -0 down in the 10th min and normally when this Shalford side concedes once, they do it again 2 - 0 down on the 24th min. We started playing somewhat after this and had a couple of decent chances going into half-time.

After roasting the team at half-time we looked okay for the first 20 mins, but Knaphill never really looked too troubled and could've scored another to really put shine on the result. Very disappointing from Shalford.

Surrey University 5 - 1 Shalford

So this match presents a chance for me to try out some new tactics away from home against tough opposition.

Well so much for the promising new tactics, 48 seconds into the game we were 1 - 0 down. However this didn't deflate us initially and we got a penalty and there man sent off for fouling King as the last man. So king banged in the penalty on the 10th min and things looked more promising. However that lasted all on the 5 mins as some bad defending put Surrey 2 - 1 up. Surrey started to outplay us now and it was embarrassing getting outplayed by 10 men. We had a few opportunities from set-pieces, but nothing great going into half-time.

After telling the team to keep believing we started tamely again and Surrey look comfortable and even more so in the 66th min when they scored there third. The team just collapsed after this with Surrey banging in 2 more in the 82nd and injury time. Looks like these new tactics need refining.

Monthly Verdict

Poor, poor month. The lack of opportunities created in them matches was just embarrassing, however I need to give the new system time and we will be competitive in this league by next season. People who wasn't given time were our Madagascan left-back and Cape Verde right-winger, I've mentioned them before, can't be bothered to spell there long names. I kicked them out for being terrible players. With them kicked out I brought in a Portugese right-winger Valdo, Somalian left-winger Mustfe Ahmed and left-back Lionel Berry.

Current position is 11th place with 10 points, 17 points behind 2nd placed Knaphill Athletic.

January 2014

Shalford 1 - 1 Godalming & Farncombe Athletic

Godalming are a bit of a bogey team for me so I wasn't looking forward to taking them on especially with the good form they've been in.

Shalford started off well keeping the ball and showing Godalming they were in for a game. We missed a few chances going into the 20th min and really should be winning. Godalming started to show more of what they can do and scored a brilliant goal on the 35th min, smashed in from about 25 yards and in off the top corner. However we still looked good for a goal going into half-time.

I told the team they were unlucky and we came out looking positive and immediately putting Godalming on the backfoot. We got our goal on the 67th min, new right-winger Valdo smashing one in from outside the box. It was a shame we didn't get a second as we deserved it, opportunity missed this one. Stops the rot at least.

Elm Grove Senior 2 - 1 Shalford

Now this was a chance against 'easier' away opposition to try out my new away tactics.

We started off okay and just when it looked like we were settling into the match, we go and concede in the 9th min, very annoying. Elm Grove started to dominate after this and it was annoying to see us not being able to get into the game. Thankfully they didn't get another one and just before half-time some good work from Knight led to there player diverting the ball into there own net 1 - 1.

I told the team I was pleased at half-time, but I was furious when we conceded in the 49th min. Any chance of getting some momentum always seems to get killed. Elm Grove looked decent for another one after this and we were struggling even with the subs I made. In the end it was more disappointment on the road for Shalford.

Lightwater United 3 - 1 Shalford

Oh how I would love to pick up my first away win against these.

I was pleased with the start in this game, we put them on the backfoot from the off and i was hopeful we could score an early one. Alas not to be and then there LB scores a total fluke to put them 1 - 0 up, no luck at all on the road. This brought life into them and they notched up another one on the 32nd min, my old captain Wells smashing in from distance.

I was glad get into half-time just 2 - 0 down after that I told the team to show me something else. We matched them in the second-half and we found a way back into the match via some good work by Valdo in the 67th min, causing an own goal from there CB. Even better there LB got himself sent off so now we really asserted the pressure and missed two great chances to equalize and this cost us when we failed to defend a free-kick and they made it 3 - 1, game over.

Monthly Verdict

It was good to stop the rot against Godalming and once we get used to the new away tactics I can see us causing damage away from home finally. The game against Lightwater was our penultimate away game, I now have 4 home games in my last 5 fixtures. Hopefully end the season on a high note.

Current position is 11th place with 11 points, 19 behind 2nd placed Surrey University.

Archived