FM 13: RAYO VALLECANO - Pride of the working class!

higgins

lKZh4Us.jpg

This is my first team guide for FM 13, I hope it could inspire some people struggling to find a club to start a new and fascinating save.

Says the legend that near Magerit (the name of Madrid in old Spanish referring to the Arabic name of the old citadel, Medina Magrit), there was a valley owned by an Arab rich man called Kas. When the Christians conquered the village, the Christians forced him to run away and called the place Valle del Kas (Valley of Kas). With the time, the evolution of the name made people call the village Vallekas and, later on, Vallecas, to adequate the name to the Spanish good forms... this is a legend and has zero scientific support, but do not let the reality spoil a good story.

Vallecas was an independent village until the 1950s, when the government decided to merge the village with Madrid. Since the 50s, Vallecas started to host people from different cities of Spain, who were escaping from the poverty of their towns, to work in the capital of Spain. Vallecas was a kind of independent village inside Madrid, with humble low houses and disordered streets. In the 80s, drugs and degradation hit the village, but from the 90s to nowadays, the social work in the area recovered the place. In these days, despite the old village of Vallecas is divided in two districts Villa de Vallecas and Puente de Vallecas of nearly 240,000 inhabitants, Vallecas still keep a very particular personality. A village proud of their working-class origins and their independence from Madrid. Their inhabitants are not madrileños, but vallecanos.

In 1914, the first club of Vallecas, the Numantino was founded. In 1924, from the ashes of Numantino, a new club in Vallecas appeared: the Agrupación Deportiva El Rayo.

During the 50s and the 60s, the club enjoyed a phenomenal growth. Rayo built a new stadium and promoted to Segunda División, where they were during a short period. But in the 1970s, Rayo Vallecano finally found a stable place in the division, the club grew with the village and the promotion to Primera División was not a dream. They did it in 1977 and the 1977/1978 season was the first one of the club in Primera, where they were during 3 years. It was the times of Fernando Morena, Uceda, Felines, Tanco, Rial or Landáburu.

During the 80s, Rayo Vallecano suffered the bad times of the village and the team lived in Segunda B and Segunda for some years until 1989, when the legend Felines, now as coach, took the team to Primera División again. It was a shorter stage, only one year, and the crisis defeated them. The newly created sport corporations allowed the businessman Ruiz-Mateos to buy the club. Ironically, the club of the working-class was owned by a rich businessman and member of the radical and elitist Opus Dei, who had been prosecuted for corrupt actions in the 80s. Ruiz Mateos used the club as platform, for his own personal interest, but he also signed some important players in the early 90s, like the Austrian striker Polster or the Mexican legend Hugo Sánchez, who enjoyed there some of their last years in football. The club went back to Primera División in those years for another short period.

qH77nTC.jpg

The golden era was with the change of century. Rayo Vallecano was able to stay 4 years in Primera División and they got a fair play licence by UEFA to play their UEFA Cup competition in the 1999/2000 season. Surprisingly, Rayo Vallecano reached the quarter finals and they defeated teams like Lokomotiv or Girondins Bordeux in their way. Only Alaves, who played the final against Liverpool later, were able to stop them.

In the year 2001, the Estadio Nuevo Vallecas (built in the 70s) changed its name for Estadio Teresa Rivero (the name of Ruiz Mateos' wife), which shows the ego of the family. In 2003, the club returned to Segunda División. The rest of the decade were dark years for the club. Rayo Vallecano had relegations and promotions in low cathegories. If it was not enough, the club was just another victim of the economic crisis, which also hit the owner's family businesses, including Rayo.

But Rayo and Vallecas are a unique case. The club stopped playing the players' salaries, but the fans and the players, most of them very humble, joined in a heroic fight. While the owner of the club was gone, as a coward, not paying anybody's wages, the fans supported the players and the players backed the fans. The crisis was everywhere, unemployment and unpaid salaries were suffocating the whole village, fans and players, but they were able to perform a fantastic season that has bringing them back to Primera División again in an epic campaign.

This is where the circle closes: Vallecas is Vallekas again. Vallekas, as the alternative and leftist movements like to spell the name of the village. Next year, in the same league of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, there will be a club of a district of Madrid that was once a village of workers, a club whose players are workers of football, who still suffer from the excess of this kind of greedy and egocentric businessmen who have destroyed our economy. Probably, they will return to Segunda División soon but, until then, the flag of the working-class will travel all around Spain, showing the pride of the humble people. Viva el Rayo Vallekano, joder!

eWoEvtw.jpg

Last season, with a shoe-string budget, it was expected that Rayo would make an immediate return to the Segunda, however, the club finished in 15th place, just two points ahead of the relegation places.

They ended the season with eight homes wins at the famous, Campo de Futbol de Vallecas, where fans only reside in three stands, with a wall directly behind one of the goals.

The ground, which is situated in the Vallecas region of Madrid, is a stones throw from a host of top La Liga clubs. The capital’s biggest club, Real Madrid, are just 9.4km away, Atletico Madrid even closer at 9.2km, and Getafe the closest, just 8.8km away.

This makes attracting supporters to the club extremely difficult, especially with the huge success enjoyed by Real Madrid in European and domestic competitions.

Are you ready for such a challenge in Football Manager 2013?

dL5lxhL.jpg

Viva el Rayo Vallekano, joder!

Sources:

Juan A. Gisbert - Rayo Vallecano: Working-class pride

Dean Mears - Rayo Vallecano: A Liga love-story

Team Overview

bNL4oyE.jpg

Keepers

I’m not too impressed by Rayo keepers, probably Cobeno is the best one, but I’d try to find something better if you can, selling Dani or terminating Ruben’s loan could let you save some money to invest in a more reliable goalie or to fill some other holes in the team.

Defenders

There are some decent wide defensive players at the club: Jose Casado and Tito above all, you could employ them as full-backs or wing backs, at the same time your central defenders are not the greatest, the best one being Jordi Amat, on loan from Espanyol.

Rodri, Labaka and Alcaniz are just average, try to sell at least one of them to raise your transfer budget for the season.

Another Dc on loan is Jordi Figueras, my advice would be to terminate it, too expensive for the club, 575k per year and not worthwhile.

Key man

E1i1pKl.png

Midfielders

You possess some good players in the middle of the pitch, not so creative but quite reliable like Alex Galvez, Javi Fuego (a man with a name so cool should be useful, sooner or later...), Pape Diamanka and Adrian.

You have two creative forces in your midfield though, both 31 years old: Roberto Trashorras and former Zenit trequartista Alejandro Dominguez, they should be competent playing behind your striker/s in the hole, once again you could try to sell one of them, consider that you have another interesting Amc in your squad, Franco Vazquez, 23 yrs , on loan from Palermo. My favorite here is Dominguez, better work rate, determination and more versatile, could be used as a supporting striker if needed.

On a negative note you lack natural wingers, the only one being young Alberto Perea.

Other players like Adrian, Bangoura and Piti could be used down the flanks, personally I decided to play without wingers.

Key man

jr6pkKl.png

Strikers

Probably here you have the most promising players of your club in Leo Baptistao (19 yrs) and Lass Bangoura (20 yrs), two rising stars you should carefully nurture, they have a great potential.

Unfortunately they both have a minimum fee release clause: 10 M for Bangoura and 7 for Leo, anyway some fresh money will arrive if they had to leave...

There are also 3 more experienced forwards in your team: Piti (31 yrs), Delibasic (31 yrs) and Raul Tamudo (34), the last one is the best tutor and so has definitely more chances to stay with me.

Key man

Z0Y0Sck.png

You don’t have valuable assets in your u-19 team.

VDUEj4i.jpg

work in progress......;)

Tactical tips & other info

At the start of this save a reckless board asked me to play attacking football, even if everybody considers us nothing more than relegation battlers, I think it's a Spanish football related stuff and I'm going to grant their request.

My original tactical plan was to use in Spain a tactic I deeply tested in French Ligue 1 with amazing result, an original 2-3-3-2 I developed last month (if you want to know more about the tactic), unfortunately first signs weren't so good here, the tactic heavily depends on gifted wing-backs capable to feed the strikers with accurate crosses, Rayo wing-backs, as explained before, are good but not exceptional and I quickly understood my two striker needed more support as we weren't creating enough chances upfront.

So, after some games, I slightly tweaked the starting tactic moving my most creative midfielder in the hole (plus other minor tweaks) and actually I'm more satisfied about our setup, in spite of some players evident weaknesses.

79JTSEO.jpg

Key features

• Fluid style
  • Short passing
  • Wing backs hug the line
  • High pressing
  • Defensive triangle with a covering Dc
  • Two box-to-box midfielders to help transition

Suggested signings (players & staff)

Without a proper transfer budget, the only way to strengthen the squad is selling the players I'm not going to use, of course personal and tactical preferences play a major role here, you could have different ideas, anyway I'm going to show how I built up my roster.

govRyOA.jpg

Some of the players I decided to sell where on high wages and I couldn't see for them a future at the club (like Trashorras), apart form saving money, bringing in young talents was my other guideline for this transfer window.

Not so many clubs came with decent offers for my players, so it was really difficult to recover some cash; at the end of the day I probably spent too much and our books are not so well balanced now, but I still think we needed all these changes.

In January I could modify something else, we will see.

L3fZHe8.jpg

Just some words about the players I bought, I bolstered my flat back four adding two promising and already solid Dc's: Grolli (23 yrs) and Claro (21 yrs), both Brazilians (good comprehension is vital in this part of the pitch...) and with a bright future, that was a crucial area I really wanted to improve.

Then there are 2 players who will act as box to box midfielders, Remi Johansen (22 yrs) and Danish starlet Casper Sloth (20 yrs), the second is the most promising; Luke James (only 17 yrs) is one of my preferred FM 13 young strikers, cheap, promising and model professional, he will rotate with Leo in the poacher role, but could play as a deep lying forward as well.

Oier Olazabal is my new keeper, he signed for 220k from Barca "B" team, not a superstar but he's still young (23 yrs) and should improve a bit in the next few years.

wcDDKvF.jpg

- Casper Sloth -

I completely overhauled a very poor staff department, if you have the Italian leagues loaded you could find some competent coaches to improve your team like I did.

J7VkIXA.jpg

Nice work there and I like the grass/turf and youth team graphics you put in to make it look interesting.

Thanks, I'll try to keep the thread updated with my progress in this save, of course all the other managers are welcome, join Los Franjirrojos!

Just a quick update to keep you interested guys, my table at the end December:

KUuQPrV.jpg

and my fixtures so far.

Quite satisfied, results are mixed but the table looks great for our skills, I sold Adrian (Mc) in January to Celta for 750k, not a bad deal, I wasn't happy about his performances.

Andrè Castro joined on loan from Porto, loaned Gianni Bruno (St) from LOSC as well.

Our financial situation:

M0iEw8r.jpg

Hahahahaha... :lol::applause:

1 - Granada beat Barca in the final.

2 - Manolo Lucena plays... and scores.

3 - The referee was Clos Gómez and he wasn't biased against Granada?

ROFL.

Truly a bizarre match...:D

Outstanding thread...love to give the team a go, but I'm too deep in my current game with Feyenoord

Thanks for your kind words.

Looking forward to my second season in charge, some players contracts are expiring and I probably won't renew them, just some doubts about Casado, he didn't convince me this season though.

Dominguez had a good season but he's 32 and he's quickly declining.

25utv64.jpg

I'm going to continue with my actual tactic, so I should add at least 6-7 players to a squad that lack depth and quality in some key roles.

Looking for:

• 2 left wing back
  • 1 versatile striker
  • 1 backup keeper
  • 1 right wing back
  • 2 Amc's with playmaking skills
  • 1 anchor man

I'd like to add some Spanish players as well, to mantain a domestic bias, but they seem to be quite pricey.

I'll have to make some key choices about where I'lll spend my budget (still unsure about it), it will be an interesting transfer window....:thup:

I just received 2.2 M for our final league position (9th), do you know when some real money could arrive? I think I'll have to wait for TV rights, correct?

Cheers. Doesn't look like he has changed much, if it all? Have you given him any individual training focus throughout the season?

You're right, little improvements, I'm training him as a deep lying forward, facilities are not the greatest though.

I might be wrong but he seems a bit lazy.

By the way, just asked the board to improve our training facilities***, they firmly declined.

• 2 weeks later...

Rayo seem like a really interesting challenge - It will be interesting to see whether they can grow as a club. I have to admit, the board seem more generous than I would have expected. £15.32 million for a respectable position should be more than enough if you know where to look for bargains.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey higgins, I started with Rayo and I am having loads of fun. One thing I did ask was to improve youth facilities straight away and the Board accepted. The budget you start with is none existent (mentioned above) so I wanted to try and develop players. Cant believe you sold Piti & Trashorras two of the best players.

Good luck in the new season.

Rayo seem like a really interesting challenge - It will be interesting to see whether they can grow as a club. I have to admit, the board seem more generous than I would have expected. £15.32 million for a respectable position should be more than enough if you know where to look for bargains.

It is, regarding the budget we're talking about virtual money, I didn't spent the whole budget but I'm seeing only red numbers...

wG0Ajnw.jpg

Hey higgins, I started with Rayo and I am having loads of fun. One thing I did ask was to improve youth facilities straight away and the Board accepted. The budget you start with is none existent (mentioned above) so I wanted to try and develop players. Cant believe you sold Piti & Trashorras two of the best players.

Good luck in the new season.

Lucky you! At the moment for the money problems explained before I surely can't ask for that.

I sold Piti & Trashorras trying to renew the squad, they were ageing.

Archived