FMO Help Thread - Ask All Your Questions In Here!!!!

Andy H

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jonnyboy:

no andy its not letting me adding another rule for the same ports. I use a Dynamode router lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it doesnt let you add, does it maybe let you "edit" the current rules at all?

Maybe the rule can be implemented that way then!?

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im having trouble setting up an online game with acouple fo my friends, help would be much aprreciated

Net connection: 2mb (i think)

ISP: Bt Broadband

Router: BT Voyager 205 ADSL

AV: avast

Firewall: disabled

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Manager08Russ:

Im having trouble setting up an online game with acouple fo my friends, help would be much aprreciated

Firewall: disabled </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First thing turn your firewall on and never turn if for nobody no matter who they are

Secondly TRY THIS

follow all the instructions on that link and you should be fine any problems add me to messenger and i might be ablt to help you as i used to have the same router

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Originally posted by Manager08Russ:

First thing turn your firewall on and never turn if for nobody no matter who they are

Secondly TRY THIS

follow all the instructions on that link and you should be fine any problems add me to messenger and i might be ablt to help you as i used to have the same router </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Originally posted by Manager08Russ:

Secondly TRY THIS

follow all the instructions on that link and you should be fine any problems add me to messenger and i might be ablt to help you as i used to have the same router </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have jus followed thorugh doin what it says, and when i try to create it, it just says error, and that it already exists, and i have tried a game once again with my friend and still no luck, any ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

I am playing a game with 2 other people, but from time to time, it says "You have 80 unread messages" but when they go to the main page, they cant see any of them. It only happens to the 2 other people, it never happens to me, and I'm the server person.

Is there any reason for this?

Also, one person is Liverpool, and we're 3 seasons in. His chairman is thinking about selling and it made us think. If a new chairman comes in and sacks him, that would be a shame for our game. Can anything be done about this? Can a savegame editor be used? What PC would this need to be done on - the server one? Would I need to make the same changes on every PC? I don't want to mess the game up or corrupt the file.

Any help would be good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This query above seems to have been overlooked. That's the problem with having just 1 thread. Can someone help please?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andimcd:

is the port forwarding something that is meant to be quite hard and awkward to do because i am finding it very hard i have a BTHomeHub would that make it any harder to do for any reason

any reply would be great thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it's fairly straight forward, it's just a case of following the guide on portforward.com and making sure you port forward for the correct internal IP you have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

I am playing a game with 2 other people, but from time to time, it says "You have 80 unread messages" but when they go to the main page, they cant see any of them. It only happens to the 2 other people, it never happens to me, and I'm the server person.

This has been an online bug in FM for the last couple of versions, more so in football manager 07 than 08. I don't know what cause's it but one way of clearing the news items if for the person to disconnect from the game then rejoin.

Also, one person is Liverpool, and we're 3 seasons in. His chairman is thinking about selling and it made us think. If a new chairman comes in and sacks him, that would be a shame for our game. Can anything be done about this? Can a savegame editor be used? What PC would this need to be done on - the server one? Would I need to make the same changes on every PC? I don't want to mess the game up or corrupt the file.

To be honest I wouldn't recommend using a save game editor with a online game because from what I hear the game could become easily corrupt or cause more bugs. Maybe ask on the editors forum about this as to weather it could be done.

This query above seems to have been overlooked. That's the problem with having just 1 thread. Can someone help please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

patience is a virtue, give people some time to give you the answers, that is the problem.

If we have a thread for every problem then we would have 3000 threads with probably only 20 of them being different problems.

Thus in return making the forum very untidy and you would never find a clan thread.......which is what this forum is all about, playing the game online, this help thread can just as easily be moved to the PC Support forum as we as volunteers have created it to help in this forum, its no an official support thread.

So think next time before making a stupid remark, just upping your post and asking nicely would have done the trick!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Operating system? Windows XP

Service packs installed?Unsure...

Net connection?Broadband

ISP?Blueyonder (Virgin)

Router involved?none

Anti virus software? none

Firewall software?none </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What happens is when my mate trys to connect to me, in the game status window he flashes in a few times, then when he is hosting i cannot connect to him at all

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Operating system? Windows XP

Net connection?Broadband

ISP?Blueyonder (Virgin)

Router involved?none

What happens is when my mate trys to connect to me, in the game status window he flashes in a few times, then when he is hosting i cannot connect to him at all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you cannot connect to him while he is hosting then he has to configure his router.

Hi everybody, i just got FM 08 and i love it but i want to play online and i have some question. I know im a newb...

1. Im living one a place i myself like to call ''The place god forgottenicon_smile.gif'' and we don't have broaband and just modem 64kbps, can i still play?

2. If yes: I don't find a site to join a network...

I know it is 2 stupid questions, please helpicon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SverreM:

Hi everybody, i just got FM 08 and i love it but i want to play online and i have some question. I know im a newb...

1. Im living one a place i myself like to call ''The place god forgottenicon_smile.gif'' and we don't have broaband and just modem 64kbps, can i still play?

2. If yes: I don't find a site to join a network...

I know it is 2 stupid questions, please helpicon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah you would still be able to play but unfortunately it would be really really slow for you and prolly cause the game to crash or lag rather a lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy H:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calinho:

Net connection?Broadband

ISP?Blueyonder (Virgin)

Router involved?none

What happens is when my mate trys to connect to me, in the game status window he flashes in a few times, then when he is hosting i cannot connect to him at all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you cannot connect to him while he is hosting then he has to configure his router. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how does he do that? its a new pc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy H:

Net connection?Broadband

ISP?Blueyonder (Virgin)

Router involved?none

If you cannot connect to him while he is hosting then he has to configure his router. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how does he do that? its a new pc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has nothing to do with the PC it's the thing he connects to the internet with. He will have to find out the make of his router and use portforward.com to configure it to allow FM.

Operating system? Vista

Service packs installed? No

Net connection? Wireless Broadband

ISP? Sky

Router involved? DG834GT

Anti virus software? Norton (but disabled)

Firewall software? As above

I know you get this a lot guys but im really stuck, I have read and tried everything in your initial post and I still get "unable to connect to server". My and my friend have both disabled our firewall and in our router settings added ports 10093 + 10094. I really dont know why its working. Any advise would be great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rik-safc:

Operating system? Vista

Service packs installed? No

Net connection? Wireless Broadband

ISP? Sky

Router involved? DG834GT

Anti virus software? Norton (but disabled)

Firewall software? As above

I know you get this a lot guys but im really stuck, I have read and tried everything in your initial post and I still get "unable to connect to server". My and my friend have both disabled our firewall and in our router settings added ports 10093 + 10094. I really dont know why its working. Any advise would be great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure you have forwarded the ports for both UDP and TDP and made sure you have port forwarded for the correct internal IP.

Guest CReilly

Hey guys. I wont bother with the specs unless asked, as im not sure its relavant.

I am playing a network game with my friend at Uni. We are both on the same network - so its playing over a local network. The internet speed is usually amazingly fast, we are talking downloads of about 4000 kb/s (im serious!). Both our PC's are top end - 2 GB ram+, vista OS, and my PC (the host) is a dualcore 2.4 ghz processor.

We can connect to each other just fine. The problem is, he being connecting to me or vice versa results in HUGE amounts of lag. If I host, his PC is fine, and he plays FM normally, but it takes like 12 seconds to load each new screen on FM and all my applications crash on my PC. This works if he hosts, but vice versa, as well.

Thanks for any help!

Guest CReilly

Note: when loading up FM, CPU usage is about 10%. After loading, its still the same. But once I start/load up a saved game that is with me hosting a network game, cpu usage goes to 100%!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CReilly:

Hey guys. I wont bother with the specs unless asked, as im not sure its relavant.

I am playing a network game with my friend at Uni. We are both on the same network - so its playing over a local network. The internet speed is usually amazingly fast, we are talking downloads of about 4000 kb/s (im serious!). Both our PC's are top end - 2 GB ram+, vista OS, and my PC (the host) is a dualcore 2.4 ghz processor.

We can connect to each other just fine. The problem is, he being connecting to me or vice versa results in HUGE amounts of lag. If I host, his PC is fine, and he plays FM normally, but it takes like 12 seconds to load each new screen on FM and all my applications crash on my PC. This works if he hosts, but vice versa, as well.

Thanks for any help! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you and your mate turned off all your graphic's, logos and badges? This cuts down the lag online.

Operating system - Mac OS X ver. 10.5.1 (leopard)

Service packs installed - erm, don't think so. i'm running fm 8.0.1 but don't think that's what you mean

net connection - Broadband

ISP - Virgin

router involved - Apple Airport Extreme

anti virus software - No

Firewall software - No

My friend is on a pc, i'm on a mac. He can connect to my game if i run the internet direct through my modem. Unfortunatly this isn't practical as there are 4 other users in this house.

When i try through my router, my friend gets the 'unable to connect to server' message.

I've tried using our old router (linksys) as well but that didn't work either so i've put the airport extreme back in.

So i feel the problem is with using a router?

The link http://www.whatismyip.com/ didn't seem to work but i went on http://www.whatsmyip.org/ and it matched the 2nd part of the ip address that fm gives in game status. Just to cover all angles my friend also tried the address before the '/' and the whole address (1stpart/2ndpart).

I obviously followed the instructions in http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm. (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Apple/AirPortExtreme/Football_Manager_2006.htm is the address for my setup) Unfortunately the layout of the 'port mapping' section is similar to my airport utility but not enough to make complete sense (and its called 'airport admin utility' online ). Think this must've been a previous os.

I tried anyway with many different combinations as i wasn't sure where the 10093-94 was supposed to go. All the ones i tried are:

Public:UDP 10093 TCP 10093 - Private UDP: 10094 TCP: 10094

Public:UDP 10093 TCP 10094 - Private UDP: 10093 TCP: 10094

Public:UDP 10094 TCP 10094 - Private UDP: 10093 TCP: 10093

Public:UDP 10094 TCP 10093 - Private UDP: 10094 TCP: 10093

Public:UDP 10093 TCP 10094 - Private UDP: 10094 TCP: 10093

Public:UDP 10094 TCP 10093 - Private UDP: 10093 TCP: 10094

obviously private address: 10.0.1.1 stayed the same throughout.

None of them combinations worked. Could you tell me which combination i use, if i'm right in thinking i just give him the ip address generated by www.whatsmyip.org/ and what i can try next?

Sorry if i've overlooked something, i read all this thread and http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/58719217/m/8112024271/p/1 and also tried a search on relevant points. That's a lot of reading so i may of switched off at a critical moment.

Thanks

dave

Does the internal IP on the game status screen match the internal IP you have forwarded the ports for?

By the looks of the website I think the combination is:

Public Port - 10093

Private Port - 10093

Then add another rule of:

Public Port - 10094

Private Port - 10094

Quite hard to tell from the guide which is UDP and which is TCP.

Thanks for the quick reply. Especially so late at night.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Does the internal IP on the game status screen match the internal IP you have forwarded the ports for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what exactly the internal IP is. The one generated by www.whatsmyip.org/ (ie 2nd part of ip in game status) is shown in the summary of airport utility.

The 1st part (in game status) is different to what i've been putting into port mapping private ip address. ie i was putting the 'router: 10.0.1.1' rather than 'ip address 10.0.1.194' which does match the 'game status' You think that was the problem? i'm off to work now so can't try till tomorrow. I'm also sick of trying different things so it would be good to know if that was where i was going wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> By the looks of the website I think the combination is:

Public Port - 10093

Private Port - 10093

Then add another rule of:

Public Port - 10094

Private Port - 10094

Quite hard to tell from the guide which is UDP and which is TCP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way its laid out for me is

service: choose a service (from pop down menu thing, none of them seem to apply.

Public UDP Port(s):

Public TCP Port(s):

Private IP Address: (is this the internal ip?)

Private UDP Port(s):

Private TCP Port(s):

That's all on the same page, not split into 2. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Dave

When you have a router the first part of your Ip is your internal IP and the second part after the '/' is your external IP that you would give out to those who are trying to join your game.

I would try and forward the ports for 10.0.1.194 as this maybe where you are going wrong.

Public UDP Port(s): 10093

Public TCP Port(s): 10094

Private IP Address: (is this the internal ip?) Yeah so that would be 10.0.1.194

Private UDP Port(s): 10093

Private TCP Port(s): 10094

Try that. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lazydaveok:

hey andy that worked. Cheers mate.

it seems to be running slow his end but i'm sure we can sort that out. (i'll search on this site for answers)

If not i'll post back.

Thanks again

dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure no one else is using the net when your playing as that will slow it down a lot and also turn off player pics, logos etc to see if that helps.

Hi. I have recetly been playing online from my computer at home against my friend. Yesterday i was at his house and i connected from his computer and we carried on from there. Today when i started the game from home again it already said im playing, because he is the server, and i think after i played on his, the computer automatically saved my user on his.

Is there any way around this, other than him making me retire and then me adding a new manager again?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Guest Parnakas

Operating system: win XP

Service packs installed: SP2

Net connection: 54.0 Mbps

ISP?

Router involved: yes, Linksys WRT54G

Anti virus software: AVG

Firewall software: Win default

Hi, I´d like to play with my friends online, but cant great game. I can join some games, but not to my friends games.

Did everything what is told in PortForwarding page and shut down my antivirus and firewall too, but still no chance.

What should I try, to play with ma friends?

operatig system - vista

service packs installed - no

Net Connection - Wireless Broadband

ISP - Virgin Media

Router Involved - Azzuware AW-GR520

Anti Virus - Norton (but disabled)

Firewall - as above

I have been trying to connect with my friend with me acting as the server and we are always unable to connect. i have checked out the port forward web site and my router is not listed there, i am knew to the online game and would like any ideas on how i can go about fixing this?

Hello-

I can't host.

ADSL, 2wire 2071-a modem.

One computer, no network.

Have done the port forwarding:

TCP/UHP as directed on portforward.com for fm2006, but my modem is new and not listed.

I doubt I am running any conflicting virus software.

win xp.

any ideas?

paul

Parnakas - If your friend is hosting then it is his set up that is the problem not yours. I also would not advise shutting down your firewall and virus software.

Stephen Black - Unless you already know how to open ports for your router then you will not be able to host. You open ports 10093 & 10094 UDP and TCP for your internal IP if that is any help to you.

pauly15 - You may have set up the port forwarding wrong. Check to make sure the IP on the game status page of FM and the internal IP you have forwarded your ports for match. Make sure you have forwarded the ports 10093 & 10094 UDP/TCP.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deekay:

Hay, I've been trying to host an online game and my friends can't join .. something about 'unable to connect to server'.

Any ideas about whats wrong?

I'm not too good with ICT so a nice detailed explanation would be great icon14.gificon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

try looking through this forum as this is the most asked question/problem in this help thread

Had an online game set up on 8.0.1, but then two of us (not sure if the host has as well)upgraded to 8.0.2 and weren't able to join, so we had to use a system restore to get back to 8.0.1.

Now is it only not letting us connect because the host possibly doesn't have 8.0.2 installed (so we all have that version)? Or is it just because the un-host players were not using 8.0.1 which the game was set up on?

So basically do we all have to stick with the 8.0.1 patch if we want to continue this game?

Not sure which is it.. because you can play older patched offline games after installing a new patch.

operatig system - XP

service packs installed - sp2

Net Connection - ADSL

ISP - Telia.se

Router Involved - no

Anti Virus - NOD32

Firewall - no

i wrote this thread to describe

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/58719217/m/6692028083 and sorry for not reading the sticky threads first. I was very tired when i posted that thread and i was told to post it on teq. forums at first and there they told me here.

Im going to honest with you guys i dont have time or mood to read through all this 14 pages i read about 5-6.

And the closest to my problem that i found was ppl with news reading bugs.

Guest Parnakas

Problem is, that non of us (4) can´t create game where other can join, but we can join to one guy´s game from England. But we like to play with 4 of us.

Parnakas - If your friend is hosting then it is his set up that is the problem not yours. I also would not advise shutting down your firewall and virus software.

Stephen Black - Unless you already know how to open ports for your router then you will not be able to host. You open ports 10093 & 10094 UDP and TCP for your internal IP if that is any help to you.

pauly15 - You may have set up the port forwarding wrong. Check to make sure the IP on the game status page of FM and the internal IP you have forwarded your ports for match. Make sure you have forwarded the ports 10093 & 10094 UDP/TCP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Parnakas

Do I have to make my IP static?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Parnakas:

Problem is, that non of us (4) can´t create game where other can join, but we can join to one guy´s game from England. But we like to play with 4 of us.

pauly15 - You may have set up the port forwarding wrong. Check to make sure the IP on the game status page of FM and the internal IP you have forwarded your ports for match. Make sure you have forwarded the ports 10093 & 10094 UDP/TCP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gooeytastic:

Had an online game set up on 8.0.1, but then two of us (not sure if the host has as well)upgraded to 8.0.2 and weren't able to join, so we had to use a system restore to get back to 8.0.1.

Now is it only not letting us connect because the host possibly doesn't have 8.0.2 installed (so we all have that version)? Or is it just because the un-host players were not using 8.0.1 which the game was set up on?

So basically do we all have to stick with the 8.0.1 patch if we want to continue this game?

Not sure which is it.. because you can play older patched offline games after installing a new patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Update - The host was running 8.0.1 while the other players had 8.0.2.. just to clear that bit out and see if that helps with the answer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Parnakas:

Do I have to make my IP static?

pauly15 - You may have set up the port forwarding wrong. Check to make sure the IP on the game status page of FM and the internal IP you have forwarded your ports for match. Make sure you have forwarded the ports 10093 & 10094 UDP/TCP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no you dont have to make your ip static as a lot of ips are dynamic like mine is and i can host fine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gooeytastic:

Not sure which is it.. because you can play older patched offline games after installing a new patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Update - The host was running 8.0.1 while the other players had 8.0.2.. just to clear that bit out and see if that helps with the answer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All players playing an online game must have the same patch in order to play. So if the host only has 8.0.1 then he/she has to download the new patch or you reinstall your game and patch 8.0.1 again.

When I'm playing my online game with 2 people, sometimes they seem to have about 75 messages but can't view any of them, and can't view any new ones that come in either. The main screen says "75 new messages, 6 unread", but they can't see any of them.

I read earlier in this forum that it was a common bug but it's now happening every few minutes, even when we disconnect the game and reconnect, it happens again in a few minutes.

How do we stop this from happening?

Also, every now and then, but more usually when one of us human players plays another human player, one of us will get a screen saying Waiting as if we were waiting for the others, so we think nothing's wrong, but what is actually happening is that the game has progressed for everyone else, and the game has actually started (presumably with the computer taking over one of the human teams). When the status page is checked after the game, the human player who's still "Waiting" is shown as Not Connected, although he hasn't actually been booted out visibly.

For some strange reason, this normally results in a heavy loss (5-0 or 6-0) in the favour of the human player that has remained in the game.

Can someone tell me how to stop these problems happening in the future?

Thanks.

Archived